PDA

View Full Version : MiG-21MF Upgrade Program

ceo1944
December 19th, 2015, 07:00
Calling all MiG-21 fans!

Lately I've fallen in love with the MiG-21Bis in DCS, but I love flying in the FSX universe because there's a whole world out there, and weather is much more realistic.

So I turned to Ivan Jurcaga's MiG-21MF for FSX. But flying it is so dramatically different from the DCS Mig-21 that it's a rough transition. I assume the DCS version is highly accurate, since it was designed by and approved by several real MiG-21 pilots. It feels pretty real to me. I've tried the various downloadable FDE fixes for the Jurcaga version and none of them get it right, assuming the DCS is "right". (Yes, the DCS is a 21Bis and this is a 21MF, but the two aren't all that dramatically different.)

So, I've been extensively overhauling the Jurcaga FSX MiG-21MF FDE to get it to fly the numbers roughly like the DCS Mig-21Bis. That's going well, and I'll be happy to share the results when they're ready for a Beta.

But now I want even more, of course. So I've picked up a freeware VC repaint improvement from Avsim.rus that makes the VC look even better, overhauled the warning lights to make them more accurate and useful, and started converting the cockpit to English. Also, I've implemented a CS Weapon interface that allows the working weapons switches in the VC to select and control the CS weapons. It even removes the weapon from the model when it's fired, for a very realistic look!

Ah, and there's the rub. The working weapons switches. Unfortunately, Ivan didn't implement the most important one, the rotary selection on the left upper cockpit area that selects which weapon you're firing. Also, the jettison buttons aren't implemented, and several other controls that would be nice to have.

I've worked around all this by using the switches that are working (good thing that the weapon arming circuit breakers on the right side work fine.)

Now, I want an RP-22 radar, and I want it bad. I'm eager to implement it, and I will as soon as the holidays are over.

But I can't figure out how to access the blank unused radar area in the VC. I don't know if it can be done in the current model. If not I'll implement the RP-22 as a pop-up.

However this all works out, I'll share the results as freeware here.

But, as you can tell, I could do a much more effective job if I had access to the source code for the model so I could get those frozen switches working. I hear Ivan is no longer working on this model. If he is interested and would consider it, I've love for him to either make those changes for an upgraded version, or share the code with me (under an NDA if he wants to protect his work) and I can do it. But that may not be realistic. So we work with what we have, regardless.

Here's how you can help:

There was a brief reference to an "official update" that was implemented, in this thread: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?48997-Ivan-Jurcaga-Mig-21MF-soon!-%28now-released%29 - reply number #382 on page 16. In this update it's mentioned that a "standard fsx radar" is implemented. This is the key to accessing the radar area for an RP-22.

But of course, the link is broken, and I can't find this "official update" version anywhere now. Anyone know where it is, or might have downloaded it and tried it? If so, please message me. I like to have this version, it will unlock the secret to putting an RP-22 radar in the VC!

Look forward to an upgraded and much more accurate and authentic MiG-21MF experience in FSX, fairly soon.

Thanks!
Dutch

Katoun
December 19th, 2015, 07:48
Hi,

Please check your PM.

Thank you.

Kat.

svicar
December 19th, 2015, 08:54
WOOHOO!!!:jump:

henrystreet
December 19th, 2015, 09:54
WOOHOO!!!:jump:

that's what I'm thinking

SeanTK
December 19th, 2015, 10:26
Looking forward to it! I still have the MiG-21 installed with the update (I don't have the original files, but could have sent you what I have installed), but it looks like Kat is already on the case with the file.

Kat, if you have the update/patch zip file, could I have a copy as well?

Thanks!

ceo1944
December 19th, 2015, 10:38
Looking forward to it! I still have the MiG-21 installed with the update (I don't have the original files, but could have sent you what I have installed), but it looks like Kat is already on the case with the file.

Kat, if you have the update/patch zip file, could I have a copy as well?

Thanks!

Sean,

Kat's message wasn't about the missing update. Could you send me what you have installed? I will PM you an email address to send it to if you can. Let me know. And thanks!!

SeanTK
December 19th, 2015, 11:53
Message sent.

Also, if anyone does have the original update file, let us know. The zip file name is "mig21mf_update.zip" according to a website archive I found (but the link is dead). It would be nice to have the file itself (though I have the updated plane installed).

Matt Wynn
December 19th, 2015, 13:35
as one of the paint team on the DCS MiG-21bis I had started to facelift the -21MF also, it's on the backburners but might be revisited....

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32983&stc=1

pr945b
December 19th, 2015, 23:15
I remember, I had this update for sure.
Anyway, I would like to see an updated and "TacPacked" Fishbed even more... :)

ceo1944
December 20th, 2015, 09:16
This all looks good. The files Sean sent will do nicely to help with the radar integration. I won't be back to my development machine for a few days but then I'll be pushing to get a beta assembled ASAP.

Anyone with improvements they have or would like to see, let me know. Just be aware that without access to the model some things aren't possible. I'll definitely be aiming for a tacpack option to the extent I can do that without modifying the model. CS weapon is already pretty well integrated but that's far simpler than tacpack.

The first priority is that it handles accurately. Currently after much work the fuel burn and basic speeds at various altitudes and power settings match the DCS mig and the N1/N2/EGT numbers are tracking well. Ground handling still needs work, it will now roll at at about 45% N1 and that needs to be about 65-70. Also it floats far too well on landing and plants at too slow a speed, making it too easy to land vs the DCS.
We'll get all that fixed.

If you think it's a challenge now...

Stefano Zibell
December 24th, 2015, 10:03
I used to fly this a lot. What a great idea, to make one of the best freeware fighters even better!

ce_zeta
December 25th, 2015, 01:06
Nice idea Dutch!

zirael
January 4th, 2016, 11:52
Hi ceo.

If you are still interested I can send mig21mf_update.zip file to you.
PM sent

BTW great idea!

ceo1944
January 5th, 2016, 06:33
Thanks Zireal, I have the model and it does allow access to the radar area in the VC. I've started the RP-22 but have a bit of a cold, and so progress is slow until I recover some.

Hi ceo.

If you are still interested I can send mig21mf_update.zip file to you.
PM sent

BTW great idea!

ceo1944
January 6th, 2016, 15:08
For those interested in the work, I have started a thread in the Showroom at FSDeveloper. It is here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/updating-ivans-jurcagas-mig-21mf.436114/

Comments are welcome there.

Dutch