PDA

View Full Version : Said goodbye to "Twist" this morning...

Navy Chief
December 15th, 2015, 07:56
With great sorrow, I tearfully said goodbye to my sweet Siamese, "Twist", this morning. His kidney function finally gave out last evening. I couldn't bear to see him in pain.

I did my utmost best, keeping him alive and happy, since he was diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure last May. It broke my heart to let him go, and I cried for quite a while. Pets give so much love, and Twist was such a friend to me. I told Twist to go play with "Chief" (the Rottweiler I lost a few years ago to cancer). Twist and Chief were great buddies. NC
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32855&stc=1

n4gix
December 15th, 2015, 08:21
Loosing a beloved pet is a horrible experience. I had to have my last miniature dachshund put to sleep about seven years ago. I decided then that I won't risk another pet at my age.

I'm sorry for your loss and grieve along with you dear friend! :engel016:

No Dice
December 15th, 2015, 08:23
Very Sad to Hear, No matter how many pets we lose over the years, it never gets any easier.

Hang in there Chief,

Dave

CODY
December 15th, 2015, 08:25
Probably the hardest thing to do is to let them go...
They are together again...And I'm sure they are just like in picture...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32856&stc=1

Wayland
December 15th, 2015, 08:52
My deepest sympathies to you on this sad, sad day. I've had to say "Good-Bye" to so many fur friends, that I now live alone. I just couldn't do it any more. Add the age and health factors and I don't want o leave a friend behind wondering why their person left them.

(Had to retype this 3 times due to blurred vision from tears.)

Daveroo
December 15th, 2015, 09:26
Dori (the cat in my pic) and i grieve with you NC,im so very sorry for your loss.

henrystreet
December 15th, 2015, 11:14
Chief,

Our deepest condolences and sympathy for Twist's passing. The loss of such a good friend is never easy.

RIP dear Twist.

Dev One
December 15th, 2015, 11:34
Had to have our old rescue dog put to sleep because of diabetes. Although he was happy enough to have twice daily insulin, he was fading quite fast as well as us having to clean up after him when he just didn't give us enough warning when he needed letting out. Our remaining dog I'm sure would not let us inject on a daily basis. It was kinder to do the deed, its a big responsibility. I just hope my wife does not go & find a replacement at our age.
Before this last one we had to put down our lovely Black Lab due to cancer. He must have been suffering for a long time without him showing any signs, it was only when he would not eat anything, we knew something was amiss. An X-ray showed he was full of cancer.
Keith

Crusader
December 15th, 2015, 11:40
Sorry to hear this NC . Seeing a picture of Chief and Twist really brings back my dog and two cats I've lost over the past few years . I , along with many here feel your pain and unfortunately all of us pet owners will continue to have to bear this terrible sadness as their lives are relatively short compared to ours . I still go through periods of grieving over my very special family members I have lost . I've gotten in the habit now of taking many more pictures of my remaining pets now . Something I can look over in the years ahead .

Sorry for your loss ,
Rich

menef
December 15th, 2015, 11:56
I fully understand you NC. Three weeks ago died my beloved cat Asia, she was 14 year old and her departure was very hard to accept.
The best thing to do is to found a new little friend. Two days ago Gretel is arrived ! This little baby is 7 months old and is full of life and verve ! ( The life goes on )

Gretel
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32862&stc=1

ejoiner
December 15th, 2015, 12:10
So sorry for your loss Pete. Take care.

simondix
December 15th, 2015, 12:17
A lot of people do not understand a pet is part of the family. Lost one of my dogs this year. 15 3/4 so not a bad age. Fortunately still got one dog and 3 ungrateful cats. All rescues. It is a loss. Soory to heat your news. I seeyou have got the piccies out. It really does help to do that.

Ickie
December 15th, 2015, 12:20
I know your pain as I went through this with my old best friend 2 months ago.
I still ain't over it.

KellyB
December 15th, 2015, 12:25
It's just a cat; It's just a dog.

Yeah, right. They weave their way into our lives and it is a really painful experience when they leave.
My sympathy, Chief. Many of us know how you feel.

coolguy3
December 15th, 2015, 12:29
Very sorry to hear this, NC....cats and dogs are very special family members, and losing them is brutal....been through many myself. Twist was a very handsome boy, and you gave him a great life! Take comfort in that!
Take care,
Jim

WND
December 15th, 2015, 13:05
Hey Chief:

Sorry to hear about "Twist" - sad sad time indeed !! At least if there is a 'plus' side - it's that he's not suffering and in pain anymore..

Thoughts are with you..

Bill

Navy Chief
December 15th, 2015, 13:44
Thank you all for your comments. Twist curled up with me on the couch all last night (I had to stay up with him because he would cry out, and I was afraid he wouldn't make it to the litter box). But he has not been cuddly for a while. It was as if he knew it was his time to go. When I put him on the examining table at the vet office, he started purring. That made it even harder. But he went to sleep peacefully, so I don't think he suffered.

We still have three other cats; two are over 10 yrs old, and one is 16. The oldest has feline diabetes, is blind in one eye, and has scoliosis.

I appreciate you all. NC

gman5250
December 15th, 2015, 13:45
Sorry about your loss Chief.

Like many, I like animals more than I like most people and always feel a sense of loss when a friend loses a friend.

Condolences,
Gordon

gray eagle
December 15th, 2015, 14:38
Sorry for your loss. I've know that empty feeling when you've lost your Buddy. I had a cat for over 10/11 yrs that we had to put down a few years ago, she was old and tough.
When we took her to the vet, it was soon after we left her in the back room that I heard her let out a yell, I knew then that she was on her way out. My wife and I hugged each
other and were both grief stricken and wept.

I can only hope that we somehow, reunite with out lost pet friends in that great up yonder. It is very hard to get over, like losing a human loved one.

My thoughts and condolences are with you.

Butch

Curtis P40
December 15th, 2015, 14:49
Sorry for your loss...I see by your picture, they still live on.

Curt

Navy Chief
December 15th, 2015, 15:24
Here's a few more from Twist's early years. When we first got him, he had a litter mate named, "Petey", who unfortunately didn't live long.... In the first picture, Twist is on the right; Petey on the left.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32864&stc=1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32865&stc=1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32866&stc=1

joe bob
December 15th, 2015, 17:10
My sympathies Chief. Always tough to lose a pet.
We lost our dog of 18 years last year.

stovall
December 15th, 2015, 17:53
Thanks for sharing the images Pete. As a veterinarian I definitely understand your pain. Our little friends are such a big part of our lives. You are definitely in my thoughts. Take care!!!!

Daveroo
December 15th, 2015, 18:40
just wanted to say,the part about placing twist on the table,and him cuddling with you the night before,breaks my heart,the first cat i ever had was a hand me down from when my sister went to jail for awhile,so i was given her 3 month old "Bandit",she was a "cool Cat" for sure,really made an impression on me as to how loving cats can really be.she had been hit by a car one day while i was at work,took me months to rehabilitate,with a vets help ofcourse.her tail had been paralyzed and the vet wouldnt take it off...at one point,id walk to my favorite watering hole from my apt,beer was the most important at that point in my life,and bandit would sit in my front window and yowl,,im sure she could see me as i walked down the narrow trail and into the woods....well one day the landlady decided she coudnt stand it,and let the cat out of my apt,same reason bandit got hit,well i was BS'n with my friends and a buddy says...dave?..yer cats here...i looked and she meowed and jumped up on the bar...after that we would walk down to the bar together everyday...she always beat me home though...lol

anyway...she became really sick,and would his and bite at me,but the day i took her to the vet to have her put down..she was vomiting what appeared to be stool..well i laid her on the table,she immediately stood up on her back legs and wrapped her front legs around my neck..and cried....i ended up bursting out in tears and i couldnt stay...even now i can hear her yowling as i left that building....still hurts me to know i didnt stay when she needed me...

simulloyd
December 15th, 2015, 19:58
Chief,
I share in your grief. It is a hard thing losing your favorite cat.

Penzoil3
December 15th, 2015, 20:59
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32874&stc=1My condolences chief. I know how you feel. They're family.I lost my 15 year old Aussie Shepherd earlier this year. Stayed with her all the way at the vets, and cried all the way home.
It's funny, the young dog stepped up, and suddenly began doing everything exactly the way she had done it. It's like he was saying, it's OK Ma, she trained me right I've got this.
Darn, crying and typing...
Sue

Navy Chief
December 16th, 2015, 06:20
All of your condolences do help. This morning was rough. Even though Twist was sick, he would run around (until the day before I took him to the vet). Each morning he would run in our bedroom, and "announce" his presence with the characteristic Siamese meowrrr! So this morning I really missed him trotting in to say hello....:sorrow:

Twist was not a stray, but two of our three remaining felines were. My favorite singer, Michael Johnson, performs a song called, "Oklahoma Stray". I apologize in advance for the sound quality, but the lyrics to the song really choke me up. Michael J's guitar playing is really good as well. Don't know why I felt like watching this video this morning, but here it is, and the lyrics:

http://youtu.be/jII5FOtEgsg

"Oklahoma Stray"
Baby, once in Oklahoma I took in a stray cat
Well I came home from work one day, and there she sat.
But someone long before me had injured her so much, 
although I fed her for a year, never did we touch.
Some hearts truly, maybe some hearts truly, truly break.
Well I swear nobody chooses to live a life alone, 
but I guess trust drains away when hearts cut to the bone. 
God forbid I lose you, 'cause baby, come that day, 
I swear I'll be just another Oklahoma Stray.
Some hearts truly, baby some hearts truly, truly break.
Nothing is more gentle, 
nothing is more fragile, 
nothing more in danger, 
nothing more courageous than an open heart.
Baby once in Oklahoma, well I took in a stray. 
Then one night I found her on the roadside where she lay. 
And then at last I held her, and then I dug a grave. 
I cried for her, and cried for all the hearts love could not save.
Baby, some hearts truly, baby some hearts truly, truly break

Odie
December 17th, 2015, 09:59
So sorry to hear of your loss NC. They aren't just pets, they are our 4 legged kids, our buddies, our pals, our stink-pots, all rolled into one package. Don't worry, one day
y'all be reunited at the Rainbow Bridge.

When our beloved Whitey passed 12 years ago, it hit the entire family hard. I went three months and I could not bear being
the first one home and not having a feline friend greet me at the door. The next Saturday I went to a local shelter and adopted Raztus the cat as a kitten. He didn't take Whitey's place,
he just picked up where the Original Big Sweetie left off.

Give yourself time to grieve for Twist, and then on down the road, maybe you'll find his spirit in another four-legged friend.http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32915&stc=1

Navy Chief
December 17th, 2015, 11:25
Thanks Odie,

When our other three cats have gone across the "Rainbow Bridge" to join Twist and Chief, we plan to travel some (hopefully via military airlifts) and then consider adopting a full grown cat from the local shelter. We both agree about not wanting a kitten. Way too much energy, and we just don't think we could keep up with one.

I wil love to have another Siamese, as their personalities are so entertaining. Not that other cats aren't great companions, because I know better. But I also realize that finding a pedigreed Siamese in a shelter would be almost impossible. However I know there are rescues dedicated to almost every breed.

I am doing much better than I had thought I'd be, after losing Twist; most likely because we have the other kitties to give love to......:semi-twins: NC

Bushpounder
December 17th, 2015, 11:41
Sorry to hear this, Chief. I remember it wasn't too long ago you lost another one. I like your idea of travel and then settling down with another one. It's too empty without them.

Don

Odie
December 17th, 2015, 12:05
Thanks Odie,

When our other three cats have gone across the "Rainbow Bridge" to join Twist and Chief, we plan to travel some (hopefully via military airlifts) and then consider adopting a full grown cat from the local shelter. We both agree about not wanting a kitten. Way too much energy, and we just don't think we could keep up with one.

I wil love to have another Siamese, as their personalities are so entertaining. Not that other cats aren't great companions, because I know better. But I also realize that finding a pedigreed Siamese in a shelter would be almost impossible. However I know there are rescues dedicated to almost every breed.

I am doing much better than I had thought I'd be, after losing Twist; most likely because we have the other kitties to give love to......:semi-twins: NC

You are correct about the energy level of a kitten! Raztus was like living with a flying squirrel! He had no fear of leaping from perch to perch. He's settled down a lot in his maturity but there is still a lot of kitten in him. Glad to hear you are doing well.

WarHorse47
December 17th, 2015, 12:30
NC,

Sorry to hear of your loss, but glad to hear things are getting better.

CP1207
December 17th, 2015, 12:53
Thanks Odie,

We got a Seal Point Siamese, along with two of her kittens from a shelter so it can be done. The black kitten we got with her had all of the characteristics of his mom, the grey none. Might check with your veterinarian if you don't have to have all the coloring, ours had a couple of ideas for determining if a cat has Siamese in his DNA. Start with a nystagmus test. Yes, the test used to determine drunk drivers also may indicate the presence of Siamese- they can have slight sideways eye movement which apparently no other breeds have.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32917&stc=1

Navy Chief
December 17th, 2015, 13:04
My previous wife and I had a cat rescue when I lived in TN. We had all sort of cats: black, calico, orange tabby, and one all white cat. We noticed a weird thing, which was that the black cats hung around with each other, as did the tuxedo colored cats, etc.... The all white cat was ostracized, as were the weaker personality females. And all the black cats had similar meows (voices); as did the other color cats. The tuxedo cats, just as Siamese cats, were very vocal. NC

jbtate
December 17th, 2015, 13:42
So sorry for your loss, Navy Chief. I lost my 2 year old cat Chennault to a pack of hunting dogs last February, and I'm trying to prepare to find another companion this Spring. They are always with us. Hope you find peace and comfort.
jbtate

Navy Chief
December 18th, 2015, 06:45
This is a picture of "Cedric". He is the alpha cat. So much so, that we have to give him a liquid form of Prozac, prescribed by our vet. Without it, Cedric attacks the other cats quite often. He would go after Twist, especially, causing him to always be on guard, poor thing. We put a bell on his collar, so the other cats could be warned he was coming. Cedric is a sweet cat, just a bully. He likes to get on my lap while I drink coffee in the morning, but I have to put a towel on my lap because Cedric drools when he purrs......

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32933&stc=1

Bushpounder
December 18th, 2015, 09:13
I drool when I purr. It's OK. ;)

Don

Blackbird686
December 18th, 2015, 13:40
Sorry for your loss, Chief. I too have lost several animal friends over the years so I feel your pain.

Hold their memories close to your heart, and they will always be smiling at you...

BB686:US-flag:

Navy Chief
December 18th, 2015, 13:49
Sorry for your loss, Chief. I too have lost several animal friends over the years so I feel your pain.

Hold their memories close to your heart, and they will always be smiling at you...

BB686:US-flag:

Oh I do, most definitely. Every animal friend I've had has figured greatly in my life; most recently Twist, and a few years ago, my beloved Rottweiler "Chief". Although losing them is always so painful, I cannot imagine life without them. I do have some friends who don't have animals, because they travel frequently, and I do understand that. But it is a conscious choice. My wife and I can't afford to travel much, so for now we are quite content to be homebodies with our cats. Because our remaining cats are older, it may not be long before we lose another, but I am thankful for every day with them all.:encouragement: