PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Ruth B727

Willy
December 13th, 2015, 09:53
Has anyone gave this one a try? It's pretty big download from FlightSim. I've been looking for a freeware 727 with a vc for several years and I'm intrigued with this one.

Any issues or bugs to be aware of? (I'm not much of a systems guy, I figure that's what the Flight Engineer is for)

fuzz1
December 13th, 2015, 10:03
The most recent TDS offering available at flightsim, merged with Thomas Ruth's 727 panel is the best freeware 727 combo available IMHO. Some excellent sounds and paints available also. Would highly recommend you D/L the TDS 727 base package and merge Tom's panel / sounds / paints yourself, as most available 'packages' purporting to do this for you are not correctly implemented from what I've seen. Bit of an effort to undertake but the results are extremely rewarding.

pfflyers
December 13th, 2015, 10:28
I also did the TDS/Ruth merge and really like it. I'm not a big tubeliner guy, but I'm a sucker for vintage Boeings.

Thomas Ruth has done several airliner models with decent vc's. His models are quite serviceable, but not quite up to the latest standards IMHO.

edit: Just wanted to say TR's models are easily worth downloading them, and I can't do better. Didn't want my post to sound like I was knocking them.

expat
December 13th, 2015, 10:42
Thomas Ruth does very good freeware 'liners and vc's. The new TDS model is excellent. Have it merged with the CS VC and systems and works perfectly.

http://s1.postimg.org/hdcd6wnxb/M_STAR.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ew0lzn40r/full/)

https://www.4simshop.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/p721_3.jpg

Willy
December 13th, 2015, 12:12
TDS? I looked at it at FlightSim and checking the panel.cfg caused me to believe that like the old HJG 727, it doesn't have a vc. And when it comes to 727s, I like the older -100s over the later 200s.

I'm still fairly new to FSX and have no idea what the heck merging is or what it entails. I'm thinking it's probably putting the TR panel & vc into the TDS 727 which I wouldn't know where to start.

expat
December 13th, 2015, 14:11
Hey, Willy the TDS FSX models mostly come without a VC. So you need to "borrow" one from another FSX native model and splice it in. Merging a vc in FSX is very cool but a bit daunting the first time you do it. Here is a decent tutorial. Once you have done it a couple of times it comes easily. POSKY/ SkySpirit / TDS (they are more or less the same crew) have some nice FSX 737 models you could use to splice in the default FSX 737 vc (as in the link) to practice. Both the "borrowed" VC and the model you add it to must be native FSX models.

Tom Ruth's 727 VC is excellent and would make a great match for the TDS model. I too prefer the -100 series and am impatiently checking the TDS FB site to see if their 727-100 models are close to release.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17996209

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tds727/

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/12087103_10206851127388877_8314220000335740387_o.j pg

Aharon
December 13th, 2015, 14:44
Go for Vistaliners 727s that can be found in Historic Jet Group. If you are using FS2004, they have panels too. HJG just reissued last month all versions of 727s by Vistaliners to enhance flying realism.

Regards,

Aharon

Willy
December 13th, 2015, 14:53
Thanks for the links. Getting up the nerve to give it a shot. lol

Joined that facebook page while I was there. Nice shots of the -100 that's still a work in progress. Now I'm feeling a lot better about the TDS 727. :ernaehrung004:

euroastar350
December 13th, 2015, 15:15
I have the FSX TDS 727 setup to use the TSS B727/JT8D sound package. I highly recommend it if you want to hear to whine and thunder of this old engine :D

Willy
December 13th, 2015, 15:42
Found the TDS paint kit as well. Things could get interesting in a few days. Seems like most of the interesting 727-200s have been done. Wonder if some retro liveries might be in order if I can get the paint kit sorted out. (My older Paint Shop Pro has issues with a lot of the PSD files in paint kits)

Willy
December 14th, 2015, 05:04
Late last night, I made the first attempt at "merging" the TR 727 vc into the TDS 727. No joy. I'll just have to keep at it until I get it whupped.

Go for Vistaliners 727s that can be found in Historic Jet Group. If you are using FS2004, they have panels too. HJG just reissued last month all versions of 727s by Vistaliners to enhance flying realism.

Regards,

Aharon

The HJG 727-100 is a long time favorite of mine in FS9, but I've got to where I much prefer flying from the vc since making the move to "the dark side". And as it's a FS9 model, the vc merge won't work with it. Their 727 sound pack works quite well in FSX SE however. And if I decide that I'm not that enthused with the TDS flight model, I'll put a HJG one in there.

As a side note, the other jetliners I'm installing are David Maltby's Comet 3 & 4 series, BAC 111 and the HS 121 Trident. And if I can find a decent L1011 with a vc, I'd go for that too.

Aharon
December 14th, 2015, 05:27
As a side note, the other jetliners I'm installing are David Maltby's Comet 3 & 4 series, BAC 111 and the HS 121 Trident. And if I can find a decent L1011 with a vc, I'd go for that too.

Good luck :applause::applause::jump:

I have BAC 111 and Trident

I am happy with L1011 by Vistaliners

Regards,

aharon

expat
December 14th, 2015, 08:08
Willy, I think sometimes the merged VC may not show up until you exit and relaunch FSX (?).

Another problem I have found is that you have to change the eyepoint for the VC in your air.cfg and even if there are suggested alternatives (in a readme) these don't always work for everyone. Consequently when I am doing a merge, I make sure to pan around and often sure enough the VC is way back behind me or below the eyepoint, etc. Trial, error, colorful language eventually gets into the right spot. Don't give up as this is one of the many useful things FSX has to offer. Remember both the borrowed vc model and "host" external model must be FSX natives.

My shorthand checklist:

add new panel folder (NB you can also use the 2d panel if there is one imported with the VC, or another 2D panel - or no 2D panel)
add interior_xxx.mdl to new model folder
add interior entry in model.cfg
add vc textures into each repaint texture folder OR master texture folder (using a texture.cfg in each repaint) - easy to forget
add new eyepoint + trial & error until in the right spot
another step I have likely forgotten about!

Willy
December 14th, 2015, 16:45
My shorthand checklist:

add new panel folder (NB you can also use the 2d panel if there is one imported with the VC, or another 2D panel - or no 2D panel)
add interior_xxx.mdl to new model folder
add interior entry in model.cfg
add vc textures into each repaint texture folder OR master texture folder (using a texture.cfg in each repaint) - easy to forget
add new eyepoint + trial & error until in the right spot
another step I have likely forgotten about!

1) Easy peasy, used the whole Tom Ruth panel folder & gauges
2) Ditto.. somewhat tedious with all the models in the TDS 727, but it's done.
3) See 2
4) VC01, VC01L, VC02, VC02L all present and accounted for. Gonna have to do a separate common texture folder to make adding repaints easier.
5) Eyepoint for the Tom Ruth VC (and the Captain Sim) is provided for in the aircraft.cfg. Just have to un-remark out which one you want. Unfortunately, the Tom Ruth one is not correct. I had to back up quite a bit and then go up to get into the left seat. Now to remember which number is back/forth and which is up/down.
6) I think you pretty much covered it. Thanks bunches!

ETA: I was almost to the point of attempting to convert the HJG 727 to FSX native. That's still not off the table though, maybe for a later attempt to learn something new.

expat
December 15th, 2015, 03:47
I think the HJG 727 is Erik Cantu's old Vistaliners model. It is an excellent model, but the result of Hiroshi and Co's work on the TDS FSX native is in my view the best, particularly with its animations and realistic lighting, that very few other FS models has achieved (i.e., lights are way too big and bright). Flies right too.

expat
December 15th, 2015, 03:48
If anyone is thinking about coverting classic tubes to FSX, the one I wish for is DM's Vickers VC-10 . .

menef
December 15th, 2015, 04:38
I think the HJG 727 is Erik Cantu's old Vistaliners model. It is an excellent model, but the result of Hiroshi and Co's work on the TDS FSX native is in my view the best, particularly with its animations and realistic lighting, that very few other FS models has achieved (i.e., lights are way too big and bright). Flies right too.

I fully agree, but the TDS 727 has also ( at least IMO ) a down side: it goes VERY easily and unrealisticaly in overspeed. The flight model must be updated. Even with low power settings it flies like a rocket.