PDA

View Full Version : Afghan Super Tucano maintainers go AWOL in Jawja

Obie311
December 11th, 2015, 18:41
This has really been absent from the mainstream media. I guess Donald Trump is taking up all their resources.

What's up with this (http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Two-Afghan-Air-Force-Students-Reported-Missing-from-Moody-AFB-361054651.html)??

All I can say is rdaniell keep your eyes open.

Obie

Navy Chief
December 11th, 2015, 19:31
This has really been absent from the mainstream media. I guess Donald Trump is taking up all their resources.

What's up with this (http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Two-Afghan-Air-Force-Students-Reported-Missing-from-Moody-AFB-361054651.html)??

All I can say is rdaniell keep your eyes open.

Obie

Local station here in Pensacola reported about it this evening. Interesting how the officials are saying there is no "apparent" threat. :banghead: Sorry, but my confidence in our govt's capabilities is not
exactly high right now. NC

joe bob
December 11th, 2015, 19:39
I would imagine this is something they would want to handle quietly if at all possible.
Imagine thousands of Georgians being turned loose to hunt anybody they deem afghan like.

n4gix
December 12th, 2015, 07:07
The comments on that particular site are typically childish and hateful for the most part.

Odd that no one has advanced the hypothesis that they may have been victims of violence...

Milton Shupe
December 12th, 2015, 08:13
The comments on that particular site are typically childish and hateful for the most part.

Odd that no one has advanced the hypothesis that they may have been victims of violence...

What? Afghan students here at our request for training ... victims of violence at our military training facility? Seriously? Yes, let's consider that. Yup, that's likely the cause. UmmmHmmmm.

But, you are correct. With today's hyper reporting, you can expect anything from anybody. Sad really.

wombat666
December 12th, 2015, 08:13

That is a possibility indeed.
The Air Force should be able to sort it out.
:encouragement:

Obie311
December 12th, 2015, 08:57
I would imagine this is something they would want to handle quietly if at all possible.
Imagine thousands of Georgians being turned loose to hunt anybody they deem afghan like.

Yes indeed. Out here in Callie they can't even tell a Sikh from a Muslim. Frightening thought.

rpetty
December 12th, 2015, 09:15
I live about 40 miles from Moody AFB and visited the open house in October, saw the A-29, talked with one of the instructor pilots (American), one Afghan mechanic, and two Afghan pilots. They struck me as very 'Americanized.' Clean-cut, T-shirts, shorts, sunglasses, and flip flops. They spoke very good English and seemed upbeat (reminded me of college kids). The instructor said the first group was getting ready to deploy with their A-29's and that their training was 'coming along very well.' I can only imagine what was going through their minds about returning to a country were they will be a target of a variety of groups in Afghanistan (on and off the battlefield). Or maybe they just got too much of the 'good life.' My thought...they're headed to Mexican or Canadian border. They can't seek asylum here (AWOL) so they'll likely go over the border, and considering the height (about 5' 4") and dark complexion of the ones I saw, most likely Mexico.

n4gix
December 12th, 2015, 14:43
What? Afghan students here at our request for training ... victims of violence at our military training facility? Seriously? Yes, let's consider that. Yup, that's likely the cause. UmmmHmmmm.

But, you are correct. With today's hyper reporting, you can expect anything from anybody. Sad really.
Milton, remember that they left the base and went out into the wild and wooly world of Georgia.

With today's climate of fear, it is entirely possible for anyone who even looks like one of "dem d'er A-RABS" to be the target of violence.

joe bob
December 12th, 2015, 15:46
I believe the lack of panic is also due to the fact that it has happened before.
Young afghan guys faced with going back to the war decide to make a break for it. Some have gone awol to Canada to seek asylum.
The vetting wasn't wrong it, it is just tempting to not head back to a situation that looks somewhat bleak. And I am sure the ladies here look a lot less bleak :calm:

Snurdley
December 12th, 2015, 16:41
Milton, remember that they left the base and went out into the wild and wooly world of Georgia.

With today's climate of fear, it is entirely possible for anyone who even looks like one of "dem d'er A-RABS" to be the target of violence.

And so I guess you can look down your nose at the rest of us yahoos and rednecks because Indiana is SO civilized. Very arrogant and insulting.

Tom Clayton
December 12th, 2015, 17:00
And so I guess you can look down your nose at the rest of us yahoos and rednecks because Indiana is SO civilized. Very arrogant and insulting.

There's much of that same Islamaphobic rhetoric here in NC too. Sad to say it, but anyone that looks Middle Eastern should stay out of quite a few areas around here. It's not an insult, it's the sad, shame-inducing truth.

Roger
December 12th, 2015, 17:47
So where does this thread go now?

Panther_99FS
December 13th, 2015, 10:04
So where does this thread go now?

Canelos at a minimum....