PDA

View Full Version : AH Aztec

b52bob
December 11th, 2015, 06:56
Saw a post on Facebook that the Aztec will not be released on steam or anywhere because of the negative comments made on various sites.

If this is true, then shame on us.

keithb77
December 11th, 2015, 07:07
Strictly they say 'We have deleted the Aztec from our site. ...For those still interested in the Aztec, please visit FSInsider for the latest news and info.'
I'm pretty sure it will still be released on Steam, they just aren't going to discuss it on the AH site.

Yes, the feedback, especially on Facebook has been unfortunate, though I believe SOH feedback has mostly been informative/resigned.

Cheers
Keith

thefrog
December 11th, 2015, 07:12
Saw a post on Facebook that the Aztec will not be released on steam or anywhere because of the negative comments made on various sites.

If this is true, then shame on us.
Where does it actually say that it won't be released on Steam?

b52bob
December 11th, 2015, 07:20
Yes, I believe that the comments on SOH were mostly frustration and no nasty remarks. The other public sites contain a few flamers that get off being nasty.

keithb77
December 11th, 2015, 07:35
That's cos were mostly old farts....though maybe all the youngsters are working...
Cheers
Keith

bazzar
December 11th, 2015, 13:17
The Aztec is alive and well and will be released on FSX/SE. We have simply withdrawn it from our site as I am tired of the immature behaviour that has resulted from our announcement. If people directed the energy that they use in threatening and abusive emails over qhat is no more than an inexpensive toy, toward more important issues like counter-terrorism, a cure for cancer or maybe keeping our children safe and well, we might all be better off. :engel016:

b52bob
December 11th, 2015, 14:35
The Aztec is alive and well and will be released on FSX/SE. We have simply withdrawn it from our site as I am tired of the immature behaviour that has resulted from our announcement. If people directed the energy that they use in threatening and abusive emails over qhat is no more than an inexpensive toy, toward more important issues like counter-terrorism, a cure for cancer or maybe keeping our children safe and well, we might all be better off. :engel016:

Thanks for the clarification. Looking forward to it's release

fsxar177
December 11th, 2015, 15:45
I don't recall nearly as much up-roar when the IRIS Simulations Extra 330 SC package was released exclusive to Steam, back in November. I wonder if the difference might be the market in which the two aircraft are target toward? Obviously, the Aztec toward middle-aged/older men, who appreciate the classic Pa-23. While the Extra 330 SC package might appeal more to a younger generation? Just a thought.

- Joseph

wombat666
December 11th, 2015, 19:51
The Aztec is alive and well and will be released on FSX/SE. We have simply withdrawn it from our site as I am tired of the immature behaviour that has resulted from our announcement. If people directed the energy that they use in threatening and abusive emails over what is no more than an inexpensive toy, toward more important issues like counter-terrorism, a cure for cancer or maybe keeping our children safe and well, we might all be better off. :engel016:

+110%.
:encouragement:
I often think that playing your cards close might be better than announcing a new release that is a W.I.P.

Willy
December 11th, 2015, 20:02
I must be missing something here. I've got SE and haven't anything FSX that won't fly on it. Is there a difference between box FSX and SE when it comes to aircraft?

falcon409
December 11th, 2015, 20:33
I must be missing something here. I've got SE and haven't anything FSX that won't fly on it. Is there a difference between box FSX and SE when it comes to aircraft?
Willy I asked Baz the same question with a very good reason in mind. He said there is no difference. . . .and that answered the other question I had, so it seems that a lot of this hub bub is much ado about nothing really.

chet twowolves
December 11th, 2015, 20:49
I have most of AH planes for 2004. I can't wait for the release of the Aztec. My hanger doors are open.
P.S. I'm proud to be an old fart.

Firekitten
December 11th, 2015, 23:32
I don't recall nearly as much up-roar when the IRIS Simulations Extra 330 SC package was released exclusive to Steam, back in November. I wonder if the difference might be the market in which the two aircraft are target toward? Obviously, the Aztec toward middle-aged/older men, who appreciate the classic Pa-23. While the Extra 330 SC package might appeal more to a younger generation? Just a thought.

- Joseph

The difference was, we planned to release only to steam all along with the Extra.

It wasn't announced, or discussed, or even previewed before it went live with Dovetail's Steam DLC system. It just arrived on steam.

The AH Aztec, was talked about, screenshots posted, discussed.

That let people get excited, they knew it was coming, they were looking forward to it... and then it got snatched away. That's going to create more disappointment from people who were looking forward to fly it, than from a plane that arrives suddenly on a different platform... they probably didn't notice.

donnybalonny
December 12th, 2015, 00:07
That was well said.
IMHO, there are to many AC addons that are being released with to many bugs, and there are to many AC addons with way to much pre release publicity. Both things are potential reasons for getting upset with a develloper. Basicalley they are asking for it.
That doesnt mean I agree with how potential costumers have reacted to the AH Aztec release.

With respect of difference between FSX box and Steam, I have 2 Aircraft with minor problems in Steam. The PMDG J41 autopilot doesnt work in KIAS mode (only VS) and the QW B757 has issues in night flying.

Stefano Zibell
December 12th, 2015, 01:19
That was well said.
IMHO, there are to many AC addons that are being released with to many bugs, and there are to many AC addons with way to much pre release publicity. Both things are potential reasons for getting upset with a develloper. Basicalley they are asking for it.
That doesnt mean I agree with how potential costumers have reacted to the AH Aztec release.

With respect of difference between FSX box and Steam, I have 2 Aircraft with minor problems in Steam. The PMDG J41 autopilot doesnt work in KIAS mode (only VS) and the QW B757 has issues in night flying.

They are asking to be threatened and receive abusive, rude, uneducated comments and e-mail for advertizing their product??? Honestly, what the hell has the world come to?

And people, Steam holiday sales start in about two weeks (educated guess). This whole uproar is because of 5 dollars or less.

thefrog
December 12th, 2015, 02:46
I'm sort of tempted to get Steam, after all it's very cheap especially when in a sale, but the thought of finding the disc space to install it, then to configure and generally look after yet another sim (which is very nearly the same as FSX boxed) has always put me off. I've already got FSX boxed, P3D, DCS world to look after - and FS2004 somewhere.

Stefano Zibell
December 12th, 2015, 03:20
I understand people have their reasons, but for me, there is no point in having boxed fsx anymore. Just the simple fact that SE is built with a newer compiler makes a world of difference in performance.

donnybalonny
December 12th, 2015, 04:51
They are asking to be threatened and receive abusive, rude, uneducated comments and e-mail for advertizing their product??? Honestly, what the hell has the world come to?

And people, Steam holiday sales start in about two weeks (educated guess). This whole uproar is because of 5 dollars or less.

I agree with you, but sometimes it helps knowing the world we live in.

henrystreet
December 12th, 2015, 04:59
I understand people have their reasons, but for me, there is no point in having boxed fsx anymore. Just the simple fact that SE is built with a newer compiler makes a world of difference in performance.

^^^This^^^

If you have boxed FSX running well on Windows 7, no real good reason to switch right now. However, if you are Windows 8.1 or 10, you will have a lot less problems with FSX-SE.

I have kept my boxed FSX install for some time because of multiplayer with my friends. But, more virtual squadrons are converting to FSX-SE and after the first of the new year I will go full time to FSX-SE.

Frankly FSX-SE runs better on the same hardware than boxed FSX.

JimH
December 12th, 2015, 08:14
I've accumulated a bunch of planes, some several years old (A2A, RealAir, Carenado, Milviz, SimLabs, Flight Replicas, Lionheart, Alabeo, GAS, etc). Also Orbx scenery. In addition, I have photoreal scenery such as SimSavvy and Megascenery. This is all running in FSX boxed. Will this stuff work in Steam without changes? Or would I have to reinstall, or maybe even re-purchase, much of it? If few or no changes are required, then I'd agree that a requirement of purchasing Steam for $5 is a non-issue.

IanP
December 12th, 2015, 08:31
There are actually two reasons - one very large reason - for keeping FSX DVD; the large one being the SDK, which is crippled (no executable compilers) in Steam Edition, the more minor one is that many installation routines do not and will never be updated to allow installation into FSX Steam Edition. Other than that, SE is patched, updated and performs slightly better than FSX DVD, so is worth having, as more and more add-ons will be released as SE add-ons only. While non-SE content can be installed to SE, SE only content cannot be copied the other way, due to a different file structure and DRM being used to lock it to the platform.

I have both installed and have both non-Steam-specific and SE-only packages installed; the SE-only packages are installed to a "DLC" folder under the FSX installation path and parts of them are compiled in a non-standard way, which the DVD version of FSX cannot read. Unless Baz has come up with a specific deal for this not to happen, the Aztec will be locked to Steam Edition only. From a repainter's perspective, which is where I was approaching it from, the fact that Model Converter X cannot read the SE DRM format of files makes testing repaints a lot harder.

Ian P.

hairyspin
December 12th, 2015, 09:48
There are actually two reasons - one very large reason - for keeping FSX DVD; the large one being the SDK, which is crippled (no executable compilers) in Steam Edition...

The lack of XToMDL.EXE can be easily overcome with the P3D v1.4 SDK for 3ds Max, which supplies an FSX-compatible version. Gmax and 3ds Max can therefore export to FSX afaik.

IanP
December 13th, 2015, 00:25
That's true to an extent, but again it comes down to this question of how much people care about licensing, because the P3D SDKs specify they are to be used with Prepar3D - what really needs to happen is DTG need to sort out the FSX SDK, which we know they won't do. Therefore, without breaching any licenses, the only option to use is FSX DVD.

It's not just XtoMDL that's missing - all the SDK executables are. DTG are aware, but say that they are "unable to support" the SDK. I don't know why they include any of the SDK to be honest, because without any of the executable files, it's just taking up extra hard drive space.

Anyway. My answer is that I have both running in parallel and use them for different things. It's really not a problem... But then I also have two P3Ds, two DCS Worlds, two X-Planes... :dizzy::biggrin-new:

Cheers,

Ian P.