PDA

View Full Version : Dec. 7, 1941....

Fibber
December 7th, 2015, 11:59
...the day that started the American combat forces involvement which is the impetus to this sim. Go here for some views of the ships and attack.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMX4LPHHecw&feature=youtu.be

Interesting to note the color schemes that were on the battleships and cruisers. Different colored stacks and the BB's with light colored " F.C.tops"

TheBookie
December 7th, 2015, 12:59
That was the Measure 1 scheme adopted January 1941- Dark grey on all vertical surface up to the funnel tops and light grey above.

Some were painted in the blue schemes also.

Both adopted in September 1941.

Measure 11-Sea blue system,all vertical surfaces in sea blue.

Measure 12-Seablue up to level of deckOcean grey to level of to[ of superstructure and Haze grey above.

Nevada Measure 5 which had a bow wave painted on,Oklahoma may have also used this scheme.Adopted January 1941.

Also on the BBs the main gun turret tops were painted Red,Green,Blue and yellow depending on which ship squadron they were in.Not sure if they were repainted before the attack though.

There was a veteran of Pearl Harbor on TV yesterday,he was 94,

I was at Pearl Harbor in 2005 on the anniversary of the attack and saw a few Vets from the attack. I do remember 1 that passed away was buried with his shipmates of the Arizona.

Fibber
December 7th, 2015, 18:00
...just wanted to point that out as a visual reference for some of our resident purists.:biggrin-new: I had gone there around 1993 when there were a still a lot more of the survivors there to give historical insight of the day through their eyes and experiences. Was really interesting to converse with them and then the solemnity of the USS Arizona.
The Naval Proceedings awhile back had a article on the burials on the Arizona. I forget whereabouts it is but a space below one of the gun turrets has been prepared and utilized as sort of a masoleumn for members who were serving on the ship that day. If you are interested go here for additional info on NPS procedures about the PH survivor burials, scroll down to para 4 for the info.
http://www.history.com/news/5-facts-about-pearl-harbor-and-the-uss-arizona