PDA

View Full Version : MEIGS is back!

Javis
November 22nd, 2015, 22:36
I don't know about you but i learned to virtually fly at Meigs, Chicago.That's why, in my FS book, it is THE most iconic airfield ever. I'm sure that goes for many pixel pilots from the days of FS4/5 and onwards. Then, one bad day, the mayor of Chicago, in his great wisdom :a1310:, decided to land a squadron of his bulldozers on Runway 36 (illegally and without notice!) and demolished the runway overnight so he could turn our beautiful iconic airfield into a park....

Well, thanks to DTG and Orbx we're going to get it back ! Let the trips down memory lane begin ! Hey, Mayor Daley !::173go1:

https://youtu.be/d0wIPOpuVJc

Ian Warren
November 23rd, 2015, 14:10
Jan , they did the same here in New Zealand , ex RNZAF Wigram in the most historical airport in the NZ .. whoops! was .. back in the mid 1990s it was closed ... I voted for keeping it open , New Zealand's aviation history or the beginnings started , off all things the first International flight in Sep 1928 by the famed Charles Kingsford Smith after his epic tran-Tasman flight.

I still recall and off all things flying the DC-3 backwards and forwards between Megis and Charlotte ... and those square blocked clouds we had 20 years back, I must hook back into scenery design and reopen Wigram .... as for the :173go1: YIP whole heartily agree ! .. 'Polidicks'

ejoiner
November 23rd, 2015, 20:05
I don't know about you but i learned to virtually fly at Meigs, Chicago.That's why, in my FS book, it is THE most iconic airfield ever. I'm sure that goes for many pixel pilots from the days of FS4/5 and onwards. Then, one bad day, the mayor of Chicago, in his great wisdom :a1310:, decided to land a squadron of his bulldozers on Runway 36 (illegally and without notice!) and demolished the runway overnight so he could turn our beautiful iconic airfield into a park....

Well, thanks to DTG and Orbx we're going to get it back ! Let the trips down memory lane begin ! Hey, Mayor Daley !::173go1:

https://youtu.be/d0wIPOpuVJc

I am only a virtual pilot, but remember being complete enraged when this happened. What happened to the aircraft that were based there, that couldnt even be flown out to another location? Did the city pay to have them hauled out? I am surprised there werent a raft of civil litigations suing the city.

A bit unhappy that this is a steam only release (as far as I can tell) since I have the full FSX installed.

Roger
November 23rd, 2015, 23:11
I am only a virtual pilot, but remember being complete enraged when this happened. What happened to the aircraft that were based there, that couldnt even be flown out to another location? Did the city pay to have them hauled out? I am surprised there werent a raft of civil litigations suing the city.

A bit unhappy that this is a steam only release (as far as I can tell) since I have the full FSX installed.

ORBX will release Meigs sometime in the new year as their contract calls for a 3 month gap before they can go on general sale.

Daveroo
November 24th, 2015, 07:46
is Daily still the mayor?...if not i wish someone would step up and have the name of the park changed from his wifes name to meigs memorial

X_eidos2
November 26th, 2015, 02:09
IIRC The FAA made a special ruling that the aircraft stranded at Meigs were allowed to take off using the taxiways and that's how they got away.

BrittMac
December 3rd, 2015, 20:02
IIRC The FAA made a special ruling that the aircraft stranded at Meigs were allowed to take off using the taxiways and that's how they got away.

Correct sir.

Sundog
December 3rd, 2015, 20:54
is Daily still the mayor?...if not i wish someone would step up and have the name of the park changed from his wifes name to meigs memorial

Daley. ;) And no, he isn't the mayor, Rahm Emanuel is the current mayor of Chicago.

Javis
December 4th, 2015, 03:31
I still recall and off all things flying the DC-3 backwards and forwards between Megis and Charlotte ... and those square blocked clouds we had 20 years back..

Same here, Ian. :cool:

IIRC Meigs wasn't even there yet. First ever virtual flight for me, Champagne to Kankakee on a Commodore64. Pure magic ! :cool: ( didn't know anything about flying, let alone navigation )

Sadly all magic is gone now... Loved the books by Charlie Gulick, 40 Great Flight Simulator Adventures and 40 More Great Flight Simulator Adventures. Will always remain dear to my heart.

Btw, bit surprised about the seemingly low interest re the reinstatement of Meigs in FS. Used to be my FS 'homebase' for many years. I only know Chicago from movies, never even been in the US for real, but amazingly enough i was extremely upset when i read about Meigs airfield being closed down, not to say utterly destroyed by a mad mayor !

Anyway, i for one, am looking very much forward to welcome back virtual Meigs. Very good chance it'll become my homebase again ! :teapot:

cheers,
jan

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/daleypilot.jpg

Sieggie
December 4th, 2015, 12:58
It's not that there is no interest but that it will run on FSX-SE only. Sometime in January you may see the interest improve when it will be available for Box FSX.

Dave

Javis
December 4th, 2015, 20:15
I don't have FSX-SE neither, Dave... I can wait a couple of months. Just exited by the news already.

I have LOTS of interest in the PMDG DC-6. I lost count but i believe we're going into the fourth year of waiting for its release.... And, initially, that's going to be released for X-Plane only... which i don't have neither.... Strange times for dedicated flightsimmers... :mixed-smiley-027:

cheers,
jan

Roger
December 5th, 2015, 02:32
I recall when the news about Meigs was announced on the forum, there was a link to a petition to try and stop the destruction, which I signed. Didn't do any good though...

Drzook
December 5th, 2015, 05:47
I remember when this happened as well. I had never physically been to Meigs but this is the FS airfield where it all began for me (for that matter where it all began for a LOT of folks). I learned to fly, learned to crash, learned to thread between skyscrapers like nobody's business--and this was all on the 182RG in FS98. Sure I could have my homebase closer to my physical home but the scenery at KGRR was...blah compared to the relative vivaciousness of the Windy City. Meigs was what cemented my love for General Aviation. I still have strong feelings about the place, and even after some 12 years after the fact I'm still a bit angry at Daley for doing what I thought was the ultimate di*k move. After getting FS2004 I did start flying closer to home but it was always nice to 'visit the old neighborhood,' touch down, park, shut off all the systems and watch planes come and go. It was very relaxing. I just got FSX very recently and decided to fly over to Chicago (had just installed a bunch of AI ships and was playing 'Junior Maritime Patrol'). I kind of figured that FSX wouldn't have Meigs, and the GPS wasn't showing me anything but I was hoping against hope I would see that runway poking behind the planetarium. Unfortunately I only saw what looked like a desert wasteland on a small sad spit of land. I turned around and headed back to Michigan thinking 'that damn Daley.' That said I am looking forward to seeing Meigs Airfield again, if only in a virtual setting.

falcon409
December 5th, 2015, 07:03
I rarely buy scenery, I either build what I need or in the case of Orbx, use what is included with the Orbx Basic and Vector LC and go with that. It has to be somewhere I would normally fly to or from on a regular basis. . .paying big bucks (in some cases) for a place I'll fly to once to see what I bought and then never go back to is pretty dumb (and I've been there done that). However Meigs is one place I would grab in a heartbeat. I always felt that "Boss" Daley should have been hogtied and set adrift in the middle of Lake Michigan for what he did. . .typical of the arrogant mentality of that entire family. Anyway, I also cut my teeth on Flight Sim flying in and out of Meigs Field and would welcome the chance to do it all again.

Tim-HH
January 14th, 2016, 02:29
Just one week until the release of Orbx' Meigs Field! :applause:

Returning home: KCGX Merrill C. Meigs (http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/109360-returning-home-kcgx-merrill-c-meigs/)

Greetings
Tim

Javis
January 14th, 2016, 09:11
Great tip, Tim, thanks ! :encouragement:

Looks totally awesome ! :dizzy:

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Daley ! :a1310:

:ernaehrung004:
Jan

trucker17
January 14th, 2016, 09:41
Its a sad thing he did indeed. I heard just before that happened, that the pilots who parked their on a regular basis, was in the process of trying to buy the airport outright.
Now it would be awesome if they did the same thing to his beloved park. Daley has earned the F^&%ing moron crown of the century for that stunt.:very_drunk:

Lets keep our eye out for the Virtual DALEY. That F&*^nut may try it again with this airport.

TARPSBird
January 14th, 2016, 12:51
And if you look at where Meigs used to be on Google Earth nowadays, it's not much of a park. Big barren open area with a bit of grass and devoid of trees. Nobody's going to go clear out there to jog or ride bikes, and if I did I'd certainly have a weapon considering its remote location. Daley should have been locked up for destroying Meigs... among other things.

dharris
January 14th, 2016, 12:51
Can this be used in FSX directly, or do you need some other Orbx programs as well. I have the regional sceneries out west, but not their Orbx Basic and Vector LC.

Javis
January 14th, 2016, 21:43
Lets keep our eye out for the Virtual DALEY. That F&*^nut may try it again with this airport.

He has been spotted already !

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/Bulldalzer.jpg

Javis
January 14th, 2016, 21:50
Can this be used in FSX directly, or do you need some other Orbx programs as well. I have the regional sceneries out west, but not their Orbx Basic and Vector LC.

From the features list :

Designed to work best with FTX Global basepack

Might turn out to work well without it too.

hairyspin
January 14th, 2016, 21:54
Does this come with a basic 2D panel too? Got to have the 2D panel...

dharris
January 15th, 2016, 06:24
From the features list :

Designed to work best with FTX Global basepack

Might turn out to work well without it too.

Thank you, may try it later. If others try it without extrernal Orbx products I would buy it. Not to keen on them right now.

av8erjm
January 15th, 2016, 06:48

Rahm Emanuel, buddy of Obama's and brother to Zeke Emanuel co author of Obamacare is now mayor, but may not be for long. Calls for impeachment have resulted in the curtains being pulled back over an officer's shooting of a black youth. Imagine that

gaucho_59
January 15th, 2016, 07:41
Rahm Emanuel, buddy of Obama's and brother to Zeke Emanuel co author of Obamacare is now mayor, but may not be for long. Calls for impeachment have resulted in the curtains being pulled back over an officer's shooting of a black youth. Imagine that

Remember that political opinions are just like regular a-holes... everyone has one and thinks it does not stink...
this site is for a hobby... discuss politics in some other forum... it usually turns into demagoguery and ill feelings amongst otherwise friendly hobbyists...

It is not unlike shouting FIRE in a crowded theater...
Cheers,
G.

johannesl
January 15th, 2016, 09:43
More than likely I will not be buying it as I am still using old FSX and I think it's still in there, but I haven't checked lately. On the other hand, it is nice to have an airport that close to downtown if just for sight seeing.

I was looking on Google Earth and the name of the land is Northerly Island. How bland. Come on Chicago, rename back to Meigs.

Having had one of my posts devolve into politics I agree with gaucho_59 100%. I don't think any of us would go to a political site to discuss our flight simming so why discuss our politics here.

wombat666
January 15th, 2016, 09:49
I quite like Parks...........................:encouragement: