PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix... the anticlimax

EasyEd
November 16th, 2015, 16:56
Hey All,

Well that was a bust. I think a NASCAR stroo up. Why not finish the race - it quit raining. The theories are out there - 1) Dale Jr in the lead - isn't the France world right when Dale wins? 2) The 4 cars in the final are the 78 - a potential miracle small team champion, the 24 - what a storybook ending to a storied career, the 4 repeat champion who doesn't like that?, the 18 what a comeback after missing so many races. 3) The bulk of NASCAR fans are back east and went to bed as it was so late there no need to bother finishing this race. Three theories take your pick. Maybe all 3 combined....

Kenseth and Gibbs get to have another talking to by France (in another link I'll have to find) before Matt returns since Matt runs his mouth more than he runs his engine. He needs to figure out the driver code (you wreck me I wreck you circumstances don't matter) takes a backseat to the France code (circumstances do matter - alot).

From... http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/matt-kenseth-no-regrets-joey-logano-wreck-chase-for-the-sprint-cup-111315

...Logano's predicament is his own fault, Kenseth believes, because the young driver could have put an end to the feud at any point before Martinsville.

Instead, Kenseth felt Logano was ''arrogant'' and his comments over the next few weeks only infuriated Kenseth more. Kenseth also accused Logano of ''doing everything in his power to try to aggravate me more'' on track at Talladega the week after Kansas.

Then, as Kenseth raced Logano for the lead at Martinsville, he felt he was intentionally wrecked by Logano's Team Penske teammate, Brad Keselowski. Had the incident been an accident, Kenseth said he would have heard from Keselowski by now but has not been contacted by him.

''There's a right and wrong way to do things, and most grown-ups would have tried to handle it better,'' Kenseth said. ''There's just dozens of things that could have stopped it, and Joey never tried to reconcile it. I think everyone in the garage knew it was coming, and you would think (Logano) would be a little bit nervous and address it.''

Kenseth also said NASCAR failed to intervene and squash the feud. Kenseth couldn't recall a time in his 16-year history that series officials didn't sit down a pair of drivers who had on-track issues, and he felt backed into having to retaliate after chairman Brian France deemed Logano's actions at Kansas ''quintessential NASCAR.''

''I felt like I was almost encouraged. I felt like the comments almost condoned it, the way Brian France said Joey was smart in the way he strategically eliminated a threat for the title,'' Kenseth said. ''I just never dreamed, ever, that I'd get suspended for going back and evening the score.''

Kenseth views his behavior at Martinsville to be ''parallel'' to Jeff Gordon (http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/jeff-gordon-driver) intentionally wrecking Clint Bowyer (http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/clint-bowyer-driver) at Phoenix in 2012. Gordon was fined $100,000 but avoided suspension, even though the payback ended Bowyer's title hopes.

Danica Patrick was fined $50,000 for intentionally wrecking David Gilliland (http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/david-gilliland-driver) at Martinsville. But Kenseth earned a two-race suspension - because of the stakes Logano had at the time - and he doesn't believe the disparity in penalties is fair.

Kenseth will return for next weekend's season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway, and admitted the first four days after the suspension were ''were really hard on me'' and he struggled to watch Erik Jones (http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/erik-jones-driver) drive his race car. He watched Sunday's race at Texas on television, and is eager to get back to his Joe Gibbs Racing team for the finale...

The Penske drivers race hard ask for and give no quarter. Brad did nothing intentional - apparently the tie rod broke. They do not have to go help poor Matt feel better - he just needs to grow up. If he can't figure out this format has changed the way racing in NASCAR is done he should just quit.

Do any of you see Joey or Brad whining? I think Denny just rubs off on the other Gibbs drivers.

-Ed-

An add Joey was sitting 3rd at Phoenix and while he probably didn't have the car to get Harvick (Harvick owns phoenix) at least he was in position to try and isn't complaining.

Panther_99FS
November 16th, 2015, 17:33
A bit of foreshadowing by one motorsports writer:

-> http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar-news/4660441-joey-logano-wreck-controversy-chase-matt-kenseth-retaliation-suspension-texas-race

If Joey Logano doesn't win the Sprint Cup championship this year, it's his own fault.
If he doesn't make it to the championship race on Nov. 22, he will have only himself to blame.

Panther_99FS
November 16th, 2015, 17:41
I like this final 4!
If Gordon can't win it then it would be really great to see Truex Jr. take it all!

That being said, the odds-on favorite is definitely without a doubt, "The Closer"....

Then again, Ronda Rousey was an 18 to 1 Vega$ favorite to beat Holly Holm...:biggrin-new:

MustangL2W
November 16th, 2015, 18:09
Would like to see Martin Truex come from behind to win as the "underdog" like Alan Kulwicki did in '92

stansdds
November 17th, 2015, 02:11
My favorites for the championship would be Jeff Gordon, it's his last season and it would be a real storybook ending to a storybook career, or Martin Truex, Jr., the underdog.

Daveroo
November 17th, 2015, 04:45
have a gander at this,no one can say this boy is a clean ,sweet heart driver.he wrecks people when it beniffits him,period.

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/4660208-joey-logano-enemies-matt-kenseth-kevin-harvick-denny-hamlin-ryan-newman

eddie
November 17th, 2015, 13:02
So EasyEd, if JR wins a rain shortened race, there is a conspiracy!?! But if your favorite driver JJ wins like that, that's just the way it is!! That's known as bull@#$%!! Screw Joey and Brad,I'm glad both those little boys are out,LOL

PRB
November 17th, 2015, 15:39
I hope the 78 takes the big trophy. If he can't do it, I hope the 24 wins it. If neither of them win it, 4, 18, whatever. They can fight over it. Who do I think will win it? 4.

PRB
November 17th, 2015, 15:53
So EasyEd, if JR wins a rain shortened race, there is a conspiracy!?! But if your favorite driver JJ wins like that, that's just the way it is!! That's known as bull@#$%!! Screw Joey and Brad,I'm glad both those little boys are out,LOL

Jeff Burton had an interesting take this week on that NBC Sports channel show. He said back in "olden times" before multi-car teams, a new Winston Cup driver had learn from the veterans. To do that, he had to approach them, talk to them, and get them to talk to him. This generated respect, both ways. But now, with team-mates to talk to, a new driver doesn't have to talk to anyone beyond his team mates to succeed on the track. So this multi-car team business has upset the African plains "kill or be killed, survival of the fittest, street-wise evolutionary balance of nature" that used to prevail on the race track. And a bright shining example of this "new order" is the 2 and the 22, apparently.