PDA

View Full Version : Rob Richardson's homepage

Sundog
November 7th, 2015, 13:18
...shows a drawing of a Fairey Barracuda. Has that always been there or is that what he is working on now? I'm definitely hoping it's the latter. Also, JIC anyone else missed it, he also has his Hawker Beechjet 800 posted too. I definitely missed it before and my system definitely can't run the Carenado version, so...I just wanted to offer a heads up if anyone else missed it as well.

JensOle
November 7th, 2015, 13:48
I have wanted to ask Rob the same question... Are you working on a Fairey Barracuda? :-)

That would be a very welcome addition to my FS hangar if true. The Barracuda was not a very successful design, but it did deliver some rather spectacular attacks on German shipping along the Norwegian coast during the war, in particular operation Tungsten and the following Tirpitz raids.

spatialpro
November 7th, 2015, 15:05
I'd also wondered exactly the same!

lazarus
November 7th, 2015, 15:08

Been watching that one for a bit. Crosses fingers, a long neglected type

robcarrich
November 8th, 2015, 01:46
I have wanted to ask Rob the same question... Are you working on a Fairey Barracuda? :-)

That would be a very welcome addition to my FS hangar if true. The Barracuda was not a very successful design, but it did deliver some rather spectacular attacks on German shipping along the Norwegian coast during the war, in particular operation Tungsten and the following Tirpitz raids.

When the squadrons first received the Barracuda they could not believe their eyes, describing it as "any old iron", I'm sure you know the song, and it was a killer, problems with the air brakes/flaps and cockpit fumes killed many crews,
but these were cured and over 2,600 came off the production lines, remaining in service till the 1950's.
As for a model for FSX, first off there is a large greenhouse to construct then "Rubiks Cube" proportion problems with gear retraction and wingfold, little wonder there have been no takers since Kazunori Ito's
outstanding FS9 version.
I'm reluctant to admit working on it just in case I don't finish the job, for one reason or another.
Wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Barracuda

RobR

UncleTgt
November 8th, 2015, 03:31
Rob,

It might be worth making contact with Baldy...he did the MkII & MkIII for CFS2 & FS2002, & has tackled the wing fold & undercarriage animations (using FSDS).

robcarrich
November 8th, 2015, 04:28
Rob,

It might be worth making contact with Baldy...he did the MkII & MkIII for CFS2 & FS2002, & has tackled the wing fold & undercarriage animations (using FSDS).

That is very nice! greenhouse looks good! So much work!
I have, in fact, animated the gear but not the wingfold as yet.

RobR

DaveSHQ
November 8th, 2015, 05:40
You have link for site?

Naismith
November 8th, 2015, 08:45
http://www.robertjamesrichardson.co.uk/index.html

lazarus
November 8th, 2015, 12:42
I have total confidence in your abilities.
I nominate Rob Richardson for first emperor of the moon! Second?

Dev One
November 8th, 2015, 22:39
I have, in fact, animated the gear but not the wingfold as yet.

RobR

Good luck with all of that Rob. I always seem to have problems with wingfold in FSX, although my models are for FS9 & will port over. The annoying thing is that wingfold works in FS9, but not in FSX. I'm using Gmax & I come up against the dreaded 2701 error when compiling the model & then have to go around reducing polys & leaving out some animations. Is this a Gmax problem thats not experienced by other programs?
My current project will only accept just under 40,000 polys plus the animations, for it to compile for FS9, & the wingfold will not operate in FS9!
Keith

robcarrich
November 9th, 2015, 00:00
You will have to take a look at the acceleration SDK Kieth.
With XToMdl there is no such restriction and very complex models are possible.

wombat666
November 9th, 2015, 01:48
When the squadrons first received the Barracuda they could not believe their eyes, describing it as "any old iron", I'm sure you know the song, and it was a killer, problems with the air brakes/flaps and cockpit fumes killed many crews,
but these were cured and over 2,600 came off the production lines, remaining in service till the 1950's.
As for a model for FSX, first off there is a large greenhouse to construct then "Rubiks Cube" proportion problems with gear retraction and wingfold, little wonder there have been no takers since Kazunori Ito's
outstanding FS9 version.
I'm reluctant to admit working on it just in case I don't finish the job, for one reason or another.
Wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Barracuda

RobR

I remember reading 'Winkle' Brown's summary of the Barracuda way back when 'Air International' was the best aviation publication around.
He was not enthused about it at all.
Fortunately his sense of humor took the sharpness off his criticisms.
One the greatest Service aviators of all time.
:encouragement:

robcarrich
November 9th, 2015, 02:48
I remember Air Enthusiast and that particular article well.
Captain Brown certainly is a great man, still writing and making personal appearances to this day.

RobR

PS I think the mag started life as "Air Enthusiast" and later became "Air International" so the article was probably in "International"

harrybasset
November 9th, 2015, 03:12
I remember Air Enthusiast and that particular article well.
Captain Brown certainly is a great man, still writing and making personal appearances to this day.

RobR

PS I think the mag started life as "Air Enthusiast" and later became "Air International" so the article was probably in "International"

In my teens "The" magazine was (RAF) Flying Review and when that ceased publication I believe the editorial team started Air Enthusiast. That to my mind was a well written publication, edited by William Green, a well respected aviation writer. Its style as slightly old fashioned, sprinkled with Latin words and phrases but I found it very informative.

dhasdell
November 9th, 2015, 03:58
The article I remember best from RAF Flying Review was about the Grumman F3F, and explained all the colour codes used on the cowlings, tails, upper wings etc. As for the Barracuda, lurking on my bookshelf is Barracuda Pilot, by Dunstan Hadley, who flew from HMS Ravager and HMS Victorious with 822 NAS.

Dev One
November 9th, 2015, 06:16
You will have to take a look at the acceleration SDK Kieth.
With XToMdl there is no such restriction and very complex models are possible.

Rob, thanks for that, I will give it a try as I have the FSX SDK & I think also XtoMdl lurking on my 'puter! Will just have to learn new tricks!
Keith

peterwatkins2
November 9th, 2015, 06:22
Rob, I have the 'Warpaint' Barracuda issue if you have not already got it!

cheers, Peter

robcarrich
November 9th, 2015, 08:06
Rob, I have the 'Warpaint' Barracuda issue if you have not already got it!

cheers, Peter

Thank you Peter, that would be most appreciated.

Rob

peterwatkins2
November 9th, 2015, 09:20
OK Rob,

Have emailed you a Sendspace link. I have also included the Albacore and Firefly just in case you feel like continuing the Fairey theme! (also the Gloster Javelin in case you feel like going back to Gloster aircraft!!).

cheers, Peter:ernaehrung004:

Cees Donker
November 9th, 2015, 09:31
OK Rob,

Have emailed you a Sendspace link. I have also included the Albacore and Firefly just in case you feel like continuing the Fairey theme! (also the Gloster Javelin in case you feel like going back to Gloster aircraft!!).

LOLOLOL!

Cees

Desert Rat
November 9th, 2015, 09:32
Some pics I collected years ago, before Baldy beat me to the build. Not my models unfortunately. They show some details I was unable to find in any pictures including the warpaint book.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31426&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31427&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31428&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31429&stc=1

Desert Rat
November 9th, 2015, 09:36
Some more....
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31435&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31436&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31437&stc=1

robcarrich
November 9th, 2015, 11:25
Thank you Peter, too many wings on the Albacore, somebody has done a very nice Firefly already and Virtavia have a superb Javelin.
That only leaves the Barracuda for me :untroubled:
That is a lovely model JDTinballs, thank you very much for posting the pics, they will come in handy.

Rob

DaveB
November 9th, 2015, 11:49
Flying Stations have a Firefly on the go but the Virtavia Javelin is far from superb. Maybe I bought the wrong model:biggrin-new:

A Barracuda will do very nicely;)
ATB
DaveB:)

T6flyer
November 9th, 2015, 12:33
And I have a set of Pilots Notes for the Barracuda. Will try and send them over to you.

Martin

JensOle
November 9th, 2015, 12:46
Nice model pictures!

Albeit an interesting design, the Barracuda must rank among the ugliest British aircraft of ww2... Sort of look like the designers had forgotten everything about aerodynamics..

DaveB
November 9th, 2015, 12:53
I think that's probably true of ALL RN aircraft up to the Sea Fury which broke the mold:very_drunk:

ATB

JensOle
November 9th, 2015, 13:00
Well, the Firefly is not half bad, actually almost look like a twin seat Spitfire :-)

DaveB
November 9th, 2015, 13:36
hahahaha.. yes.. agreed. The Firefly was the beginning of the change. All before were pretty much so ugly, they might have been Russian!!

ATB

TARPSBird
November 9th, 2015, 14:05
Albeit an interesting design, the Barracuda must rank among the ugliest British aircraft of ww2... Sort of look like the designers had forgotten everything about aerodynamics..
It does indeed look like something that was designed on a bar napkin at Happy Hour. :biggrin-new: Although I have to give credit to whoever figured out the wing-fold mechanism. It appears that the pilot sits just forward of the wing spar...? And does everybody board the aircraft through the greenhouse?

vonstroheim
November 9th, 2015, 14:46
[Sorry for double posting] [Sorry for off-topic] Back in December 2014, Rob Richardson uploaded on his homepage a WIP screenshot of a two-seater Vampire, the DH Venom NF2 night fighter. It looked really promising, but no trace of it today, on Robs's website (http://www.robertjamesrichardson.co.uk/)... No pressure intended! Just noticing... I guess doing a 2-seat VC from scratch must be quite a dauting task...

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/149161DHVenomNF2twoseatnightfighterWIP.png

robcarrich
November 9th, 2015, 21:53
I keep looking at the Venom night fighter, I will get back to it in time.
As to the Barracuda's appearance, ugly or otherwise, there is one thing that sets it apart from every other single engine warplane.
It made a really good flying model, the high wing meant that you could get hold of it and give a really good throw into the air.
I remember as a schoolboy ( OK so I've got a good memory ) making a balsa model, "Veron" kit I think, anyone recall them?

RobR

robcarrich
November 9th, 2015, 22:00
And I have a set of Pilots Notes for the Barracuda. Will try and send them over to you.

Martin

To the rescue once again Martin, I would be most grateful to you for those.
What with Peter's "Warpaint" and your pilots notes I'll have no excuse for not finishing the Barracuda.

RobR

Sundog
November 10th, 2015, 16:25
To the rescue once again Martin, I would be most grateful to you for those.
What with Peter's "Warpaint" and your pilots notes I'll have no excuse for not finishing the Barracuda.

RobR

Music to my ears. Also, I didn't know Warpaint made a release on the Barracuda. I might have to pick that one up as well.

Dev One
November 11th, 2015, 11:28
RobR

Out of interest I have just looked at my fathers ATA logbook & I have found that he ferried 50 Barras mk I & III from Oct '44 until Sept '45, amassing almost 52 hours flying time in them, apparently without mishap! Mind you it was only gentle flying I suppose not combat style. I do remember him saying though that a lot of crashes were due to not checking that the wingfold locking pins were not securely in place prior to take off!
Keith

milaircom
November 11th, 2015, 12:04
OK Rob,

A Javelin would def. get my vote. :applause: