PDA

View Full Version : Reality Sims Atlanta Scenery

ejoiner
November 6th, 2015, 14:09
Hi guys,

For the longest time I have actually been super annoyed with MSFT because of the lazy way FSX renders Atlanta. This is my home town. The default scenery bears zero resemblance to the city as it is even 15 years ago. Major missing landmarks like Georgia Techs Grant Field, which is a 50K seat stadium in the heart of downtown, and things like Turner Field (home of the ATL Braves) is still in its 1996 Olympics configuration. Thats been wrong for almost 20 years.

Anyway, was delighted to see on simplanet a new Atlanta scenery for FSX/P3D by Reality Sims. a little under 20 bucks for the DL. Instant purchase.

I installed it and was immediately happy with the buildings, the updated landmarks etc. Finally... A T L A N T A. I can fly in my home town. Having said that, I was unhappy that its photo real scenery with only a spring/summer set. Also, not being a fan of photo real, I decided to hack it a bit to use my Orbx global vector scenery. So I figured out which bgls to move and voila! I have the reality sims buildings but the Orbx land textures. For the most part this works well. Not as accurate in the placing of streets, etc, but you get 4 seasons and the quality of the autogen is great with Orbx anyway.

Only a couple of problems I need to figure out. Inside the two major stadia that I mention above, Ga Tech Grant Field and Turner Field (Baseball), are Orbx autogen buildings. Am wondering how I could get rid of these?

Reality sims Atlanta is payware, so whatever Im doing here is just messing with my personal copy. No actual changes other than moving files around. No intention to upload or modify anything. However, if theres a way to make a flatten or some other thing to get these orbx buildings out of the way that would be awesome.

I am so delighted to get this better rendering of Atlanta. Just great.

E

Sieggie
November 6th, 2015, 16:12
You might be able to create exclusions for the stadiums and put them lower then the simplanet stuff but higher than the orbx thereby blocking orbx but allowing the stadiums to be displayed.

Dave

Navy Chief
November 7th, 2015, 07:18
Eric,

Don't know if I will buy the "Hot 'Lanta" scenery or not.....but maybe I'll virtually fly my A-7 to (the former) NAS Atlanta, and we could get a few beers at "The Wrecking Bar Brewpub"? :very_drunk: Pete

ejoiner
November 7th, 2015, 07:24
You might be able to create exclusions for the stadiums and put them lower then the simplanet stuff but higher than the orbx thereby blocking orbx but allowing the stadiums to be displayed.

Dave

Thats likely what I would need to do, but I have zero idea how to do that. :(

I never mess with scenery.

ejoiner
November 7th, 2015, 07:26
Eric,

Don't know if I will buy the "Hot 'Lanta" scenery or not.....but maybe I'll virtually fly my A-7 to (the former) NAS Atlanta, and we could get a few beers at "The Wrecking Bar Brewpub"? :very_drunk: Pete

I think I'd rather come back in real life to Pcola and really get those beers !!!

Dobbins ARB former NAS Atlanta is about 10 miles from my house though.

ATL really cries for good scenery. This reality sim stuff is about as close as we are gonna get though. unfortunate its photo real /single season though. Buildings are very good though.

ToniJH
November 7th, 2015, 07:52
Here is my version of Atlanta. I also wanted made a change for ugly, boring default Atlanta.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31312&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31313&stc=1

ejoiner
November 7th, 2015, 07:59
Here is my version of Atlanta. I also wanted made a change for ugly, boring default Atlanta.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31312&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31313&stc=1

Well, if this is the famous Toni Hiltunen, then I have your version from 2009 which I used for FS9. You have an FSX version? I tried your FS9 version in FSX some time ago but the buildings were not aligned right in FSX.

ToniJH
November 7th, 2015, 08:02
Well, if this is the famous Toni Hiltunen, then I have your version from 2009 which I used for FS9. You have an FSX version? I tried your FS9 version in FSX some time ago but the buildings were not aligned right in FSX.Yes, the same guy :D and yes, this is totally updated version of Atlanta scenery, more buildings added and buildings are now also placed their right places and it is for FSX.

ejoiner
November 7th, 2015, 08:04
Yes, the same guy :D and yes, this is totally updated version of Atlanta scenery, more buildings added and buildings are now also placed their right places and it is for FSX.

Well, then I need that!!! :)

Where do I get it?

ToniJH
November 7th, 2015, 08:31
Well, then I need that!!! :)

Where do I get it?
I will send the package to you

Navy Chief
November 7th, 2015, 09:09
I think I'd rather come back in real life to Pcola and really get those beers !!!

Dobbins ARB former NAS Atlanta is about 10 miles from my house though.

ATL really cries for good scenery. This reality sim stuff is about as close as we are gonna get though. unfortunate its photo real /single season though. Buildings are very good though.

When you come back for a visit, if you have time, drive up to north Pensacola to "Goatlips" brewpub. Their beer is (in my opinion) MUCH better than what Pensacola Bay Brewery makes. PBB used to be my favorite until Goatlips began brewing last Feb. I rarely make the drive to PBB now, and Goatlips is only 3 miles or so from my house:very_drunk: Pete

ejoiner
November 7th, 2015, 20:00
When you come back for a visit, if you have time, drive up to north Pensacola to "Goatlips" brewpub. Their beer is (in my opinion) MUCH better than what Pensacola Bay Brewery makes. PBB used to be my favorite until Goatlips began brewing last Feb. I rarely make the drive to PBB now, and Goatlips is only 3 miles or so from my house:very_drunk: Pete

Next time...that is exactly what we will do!!!

flibinite
November 8th, 2015, 16:16
How's the frame rate? If you have a payware KATL, does it blend decently?

ejoiner
November 8th, 2015, 16:19
How's the frame rate? If you have a payware KATL, does it blend decently?

I dont have the payware KATL. but it pretty much leaves KATL alone. This is more about the city and metro area. buildings are excellent. Dont like the photo real ground textures, but thats just me. Not a criticism of the product. The photoreal ground textures are pretty good, but I dont like photo real. Also they are summer only. Also the buildings are dark at night. Didnt like that either.