PDA

View Full Version : DVD/CD Drive Won't Read Disks

TARPSBird
November 3rd, 2015, 02:50
My DVD/CD drive has suddenly gone stupid and fails to recognize any disk I put in. Movie DVD, game CD, CD-R with my knee x-rays... nothing plays. I've tried different drivers, updated the firmware, and tried the Microsoft Mr. Fixit utility and still have the same problem. Very strange since I normally have my FS9 disk 4 in that drive and it's always started up OK. Windows sees the drive but it won't play anything. Last time I had this problem I replaced the drive. Has anybody ever resolved this problem? And if you have pls tell me what you did. Otherwise the drive is getting replaced. Thanks in advance. :wavey:

Daube
November 3rd, 2015, 03:40
I had that problem and in the end I replaced the drive.
Then, some years later, I found out that all of my DVD-RW drives (on the desktop computer AND my laptops as well) were unable to write anything anymore. They could just read...
Now, my computer doesn't even have a DVD drive anymore. I don't really plan to replace it for now... perhaps I'll buy an external drive someday...

Jafo
November 3rd, 2015, 04:13
CD/DVD drives are built to a price, not a quality.
If any hardware on a computer is going to fail it will be an optical drive.
WHEN they go wrong replace them. The $20 is better than the grief...;)

Navy Chief
November 3rd, 2015, 06:08
Have any of you upgraded to Windows 10? Seems like I read somewhere that Win 10 will cause DVD drives to no longer work? NC

Lawman
November 3rd, 2015, 08:44
Have you checked the cable(s)? What also could have happened (with players of optical discs) is that the lens has become dirty.

TARPSBird
November 3rd, 2015, 14:24
Considering the time I've already spent on this, I'm going to buy a laser lens cleaner disk and a new DVD drive, then return one or the other. Thank you for the replies, I know I can always get some help here. :encouragement: