PDA

View Full Version : Any GSL city builders?

dasuto247
November 1st, 2015, 20:07
I do not have the skill or knowledge to do this yet (but plan to learn, will be a while) so noticed no scenery for Tokyo.Tokyo needs houses, factories, etc for bombing.I planned to add some in MB but will end up being too many objects I am sure.Mainly for B-29 missions but also for the Doolittle raid plan to release soon . I have searched but shocked to find no one has done this yet. Anyone able to do this or willing to help me get started ? If so, running MR's Japan No 1 scenery as well as xbp jpaan 2006 for airfields.

TheBookie
November 1st, 2015, 23:04
There's not much to choose from scenery wise for Japan.Most scenery objects were made for the ETO and MTO. You probably could use some those objects. Wolfi made some Asia houses and most other Japanese structures are hangers and barracks.

Rami
November 2nd, 2015, 01:14
Dasuto247,

If it will help you, I can provide you with some layouts I have done for cities throughout Europe and the Mediterranean. They won't fit Tokyo Bay, but you can get an idea of how I construct things like port facilities, dockyards, and the like, as well as the balance in creating density without killing frame rates.

Blood_Hawk23
November 2nd, 2015, 04:07
Dasuto,

Time to learn I think. I'm sending you an email. It has Lindsay's MB GSL instructions. plus a little extra to help you get started.

As far as buildings go, let me know what is needed. If I don't have it, I'll try to help you get it. If there are any API macros around we can make them into GSL scenery. Even make them with damage models. Some might even work for my future Korean project. I know DD could use some as well.

Blood_Hawk23
November 2nd, 2015, 12:56
Apparently you email bounced it back to me. I have it if you would like any of it. I can send the tutorial but the other bit won't send.

Allen
November 2nd, 2015, 19:50
Well if your worried about object count you may be able to make one object that looks like many.

TheBookie
November 2nd, 2015, 22:19
Some pics of Tokyo Harbor and Tokyo facilities in the City.Not my work but found it on Talon's Pacific 42 Doolittle Raid. I'm looking for the GSL file he made for it but he may have used Lindsay Watts MB method.

Rami
November 2nd, 2015, 23:57
TheBookie,

If you have Martin Wright's GSL Editor utility, you can extract the layouts from the GSL file, and create a new GSL file for just Tokyo that way. :mixed-smiley-010:

Blood_Hawk23
November 3rd, 2015, 03:29
Thebookie,
If you need it let me know, or just contact MW.

If you go into MB you can extract it by using Lindsay's method. just keep clicking until all of the objects are visable. select all of them and save as a layout. MW's tools would be faster.

Devildog73
November 3rd, 2015, 04:07
Interesting discussion guys.

I need the same scenery for the BPF TF 37 missions coming up.

Also, BPF attacked some other port facilities on the Japanese home islands, so I was thinking about looking at some of Rami's ports and see if I can manipulate them to fit.

Thoughts?

Also, since dasuto and I are both looking at these sceneries, I doubt we are the only mission builders doing so.

NOTE: Once I finish the BPF campaign, I was going to redirect my MB to other areas. Instead, I may look at making GSL Asian cities, towns and ports. It may be a very steep learning curve for me because I am not good with making air fields, so cities, towns and ports may be too much of a challenge for my paltry skills. :dizzy:

On a side note; I wonder why CFS2 scenery gurus haven't done more Asian sceneries in GSL... After all, CFS2 originally is a Pacific rim simulator. It is odd to me that MS and our add-on scenery folks didn't do this long before now.
Not an indictment, just some random thoughts. I REALLY appreciate all that you scenery folks have done for the sim. You have made CFS2 so much more than MS originally designed it to be.

:applause: :very_drunk: :encouragement:

Rami
November 3rd, 2015, 06:30
Lee and Dasuto247,

I did most of the GSL port and city work for the ETO and MTO simply because it was where I happened to be working at the time. It helped to cut down on mission size, add eye candy, and provide juicy targets for bombing practice.

As far as the Pacific is concerned, there is plenty that can now be done with Truk and Rabaul, and I can provide layouts I have done for both Europe and the Med. Both these and the link below will require some modification and imagination to use in the Pacific, but about 80% of it is directly usable, all you will have to do is modify it to adapt to the scenery where you are working. In addition, I included all of the objects required.

It has been in the library since March 31st, 2015: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php?action=show&sort=d&literal=1&userid=1543&page=2

From experience, the most maddening challenge is getting the piers and other objects to fit precisely the way you want them to, especially if, god forbid, they fall on two or more separate gobs. I didn't learn to excel at this overnight, it took time.

And Lee, a lot of stuff in the Pacific is carrier-based or attacks a single target. (Dutch Harbor, Midway, Henderson, Truk, Rabaul, etc.)

But I have to take exception to one thing....your paltry lack of MB skill. I cut my MB teeth on Tuskegee trying to figure out what you were attempting to achieve, and still remember when I tested the mission where you managed to get 140+ Liberators into formation without any crashes. Anyone who is crazy enough to do that can learn how to do this.

I'm building towns and cities in the Balkans as we speak as I prep the 1940-1941 Balkans campaign auto-installer for completion and release. It's 180+ missions!

TheBookie
November 3rd, 2015, 08:14
I have both the MW tools and Lindsay's MB tutorial so I know how to extract what I need and make a GSL file.
Layout files I've found.

Tokyo Targets- will not be GSL
Ships-will not be GSL
3 Railroad yards near Industries
Tokyo City which seems Talon was still working on.It's not very big and wasn't in GSL.
AA guns-will not be GSL file.

I can't work on this until at least the weekend. I also think that it would be fair that Dasuto should do some layout files of what he wants to help fill up the area.

TheBookie
November 3rd, 2015, 08:25
Interesting discussion guys.

I need the same scenery for the BPF TF 37 missions coming up.

Also, BPF attacked some other port facilities on the Japanese home islands, so I was thinking about looking at some of Rami's ports and see if I can manipulate them to fit.

Thoughts?

Also, since dasuto and I are both looking at these sceneries, I doubt we are the only mission builders doing so.

NOTE: Once I finish the BPF campaign, I was going to redirect my MB to other areas. Instead, I may look at making GSL Asian cities, towns and ports. It may be a very steep learning curve for me because I am not good with making air fields, so cities, towns and ports may be too much of a challenge for my paltry skills. :dizzy:

On a side note; I wonder why CFS2 scenery gurus haven't done more Asian sceneries in GSL... After all, CFS2 originally is a Pacific rim simulator. It is odd to me that MS and our add-on scenery folks didn't do this long before now.
Not an indictment, just some random thoughts. I REALLY appreciate all that you scenery folks have done for the sim. You have made CFS2 so much more than MS originally designed it to be.

:applause: :very_drunk: :encouragement:

Devildog73,

Look in Talon legacy for his ports There are 12 I think if I read it right.In it you will find some of the following ports. Plus some may have ship layouts.

Kure Japan-which British fleet attacked along with the USN. It also includes a layout file for Japanese ships I think.

Manila Philippines.

Formosa

Canton China

Hong Kong

Truk

Rabaul

And a few more in Asia and NG.

dasuto247
November 3rd, 2015, 18:55
Thanks for all the responses, soon as wrap up my current CFS 2 projects in next few weeks will sit down and try to learn to put together a decent Tokyo, maybe other cities after.

TheBookie
November 3rd, 2015, 19:31
Thanks for all the responses, soon as wrap up my current CFS 2 projects in next few weeks will sit down and try to learn to put together a decent Tokyo, maybe other cities after.

Guess we'll wait to see what you come up with and my weekend will be free to do other things.

Devildog73
November 5th, 2015, 10:41
Devildog73,

Look in Talon legacy for his ports There are 12 I think if I read it right.In it you will find some of the following ports. Plus some may have ship layouts.

Kure Japan-which British fleet attacked along with the USN. It also includes a layout file for Japanese ships I think.

Manila Philippines.

Formosa

Canton China

Hong Kong

Truk

Rabaul

And a few more in Asia and NG.

Bookie,
Yes, I have most of Talon's stuff already installed.
I can build the other towns with MB from library objects, which will be a frame rate killer, but will get the layouts as a template.
I already have Miyako Jima Hirara town/port and the town/port on Ishigaki started.
They are MB objects, so I have made them pretty sparse.
I can build them up to mimic the aerial photos if you can take my *.lay files and convert them to GSL.

I am no hurry, per se. I am looking at the first of the year for campaign beta testers, maybe Christmas, if I don't do a lot of substitute teaching this semester.

As everyone here in the basement knows, I have also been talking to MaskRider and any other scenery guys willing to do these island chains.
I am not trying to step on anyone's toes while doing this, nor am I in a major hurry, so I sincerely hope none of you scenery guys take offense at my requests.

If I have offended anyone, I apologize and ask forgiveness, as it is not my intent to offend.
I truly appreciate all of the help each of you has provided me over the years of building missions which needed scenery add-ons.
Ddog

TheBookie
November 5th, 2015, 11:11
Devildog,

I just mentioned those ports by Talon because anew pack was put up a few months ago that has all his GSL work. Three new ports wer added to it Formosa,Manila and Dutch Harbor. Didn't know if you knew about it. He also did some GSL for Darwin which is in one of Rami's mission packs on the Japanese Raids on Darwin.

Devildog73
November 5th, 2015, 16:16
Devildog,

I just mentioned those ports by Talon because anew pack was put up a few months ago that has all his GSL work. Three new ports wer added to it Formosa,Manila and Dutch Harbor. Didn't know if you knew about it. He also did some GSL for Darwin which is in one of Rami's mission packs on the Japanese Raids on Darwin.

Thanks,
The only two I have used for BPF are Kure and Formosa.

MaskRider
November 5th, 2015, 17:30
Bookie,
As everyone here in the basement knows, I have also been talking to MaskRider and any other scenery guys willing to do these island chains.
I

I am actually making some very slow progress. Just been having a hard time sitting down and turning my full attention to it.

MR

Devildog73
November 6th, 2015, 06:10
I am actually making some very slow progress. Just been having a hard time sitting down and turning my full attention to it.

MR

:encouragement: :very_drunk: