PDA

View Full Version : How about offline squadrons ?.....

xpelekis
October 31st, 2015, 22:03
Offline Squadron & Campaign (FSX, example Korea)

I "play" with the idea for an offline squadron for a few years now,
but now the ability exists for such a project.
This is totally new and does not exist in any sim, as far as I know.
I need to have some opinions, something like a little survey, before
I commit in such a project.... (conjuction with this post :
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?96907-Korea-F-86-quot-Section-8-quot-Tacpacked)

Since many people prefer flying offline, I thought it was a good idea
to offer some challenge and task flying in single playing this way...

The materialization of this idea goes as follow :

All pilots that participate in this virtual offline squadron (2 squadrons to
be precise : 335th FIS & a DC3 Transport squadron, other ideas welcomed), contribute with
their single playing sorties to the outcome of the Korea Campaign (other theaters may follow).

I have come up with a simple, yet effective Campaign & Awards system for
this offline squadron (based on previous experience with co-operative sqns). A sort description is :

- Pilot chooses a type of mission from the available types (Recon, CAP, Ground Attack, etc,)
- Declares of flying it (this is necessary for giving to the "enemy" the ability of gathering points if
pilot fails the mission )
- Flies the mission and provides outcome proof (Tacview file of the sortie)
- Earns "Pilot Victory Points" (PVPs) depending of performance
- Total sum up of participating pilots PVPs, is the "Campaign Victory Points" (CVPs)
- Campaign is succesfull if CVPs reach to 100, or fail if CVPs reach to 0.

An analytic description of the campaign mechanism, you may see here. (http://flyingspirit.freehostia.com/Airpower/335th/335thFISoffline.html)

Each participating pilot has his own personal page (customizable) that serves as his Campaign's Logbook.
An example of a pilot's page, you may see here. (http://flyingspirit.freehostia.com/Airpower/335th/pilotX.html)

For both fighter & transport pilots, new features will be added in "BGX Korea". One common
will be an emergency runway on Chodo isl if player is hit, but also with the ability of Rearming -
Refuelling - Repairing after landing. This place will also serve as a task for transports (equipments cargo sorties).
I'm expecting a small scenery to be built for this purpose in about 3 weeks from today....
Regarding Transport tasks (cargo transport, paradropping, recon), a different "BGX" mission wil be built, adding features
like certain areas for cargo to be dropped (for earning PVPs), AI DC3 capable of paradropping & payload changes to user
before after cargo delivery (airborne or at the ground).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKWGMH8hMhU

Nothing is finalized yet and no decisions have been made.

I would really ask for your opinion - evaluation of such a project :

Does it worth the effort ? Do you believe people will participate in such an activity ?
What is your opinion and how do you see this idea ? (regardless if you're willing to participate or not).
Would you consider helping as an admin (for players sorties evaluation and stats updates)?
Could SOH forum administrators contribute in such an activity (if there is interest and participation)
like with the races project ?
What do you think ?....

daisan
November 2nd, 2015, 06:14
Offline??? I recommend you to join an active an almost professional vSQN. There is no written explanation to show you the feeling of flying a complex human vs human mission or campaign ( we have flown in SEA too..). I know that single player missions are nice, but with humans are incredible! Just add an human wingman to your life!

Anyway the project looks nice, but think about it flying online.

xpelekis
November 2nd, 2015, 07:12
First of all, thank's for the reply.

I've been flying online with Virtual Squadrons for over 4 years and in
online servers in general for more than 7 years. WWII - IL2-1946.
I flew with my last international sq for over 2 years, until they switched
to DCS. Modern jets, that I'm not very much for the modern technology.

After 10+ years in WWII, I was sick of it... Turned to jets, up to second generation.
Ie, no fly-by-wires and MFDs.
2 years ago, I tried FSX just out of curiosity, thinking that I'm wasting my time at
the same time.
The experience of flying over my photoreal homelad with the jets of our AirForce,
still has no much for my personal tastes with any other current sim.
Despite all the technical problems that FSX may present, as also the moderate
flying models (FMs), it's the reason that I stick with FSX.

I still fly online from time to time with another guy over photoreal in Free Flight
or Missions. I wish Tacpack could work in Multiplayer Missions but this is not the case
and the only reason (restriction to be precise) for the offline project.

Anyway, thank's for your comments.

Navy Chief
November 2nd, 2015, 07:18
What jets do you prefer flying? I haven't flown on OR offline for a while, but when I did fly online, it was fun - communicating with the other pilots. :encouragement: NC

PRB
November 2nd, 2015, 07:29
I think this is a great idea, and in particular the off line part. There are many virtual online squadrons out there, but as you said, many people prefer to fly off line and not get hassled for not using the proper "over and out" radio procedures and such. I'll be interested in seeing how this develops.

xpelekis
November 2nd, 2015, 07:29
F-5, F-104, A-7, F-4, Mirage F1... For me this was the "Golden Era"...

@ PRB : Thank's for the feedback. One main problem with online squads is the schedule commitment. For me is not that easy nowadays.

Victory103
November 2nd, 2015, 17:53
xpel,
It is a good idea based on the FSX mission structure. I have been flying your other series so far, but they are one off missions with no campaign mode. I'm in a USN based VA, but there are times based on my location and time zone I am not able to connect with other members. For me, the missions give a single player purpose besides chasing offline AI around (keeping the mil theme). I think a training squadron series of missions each using a building block approach. Score high enough to meet the standard, you progress through the training. The failed "Combat Pilot" series had this, but the base FSX mission can be buggy at times.

xpelekis
November 2nd, 2015, 21:23
Hi Victory.
Many points and they all have their point.

but they are one off missions with no campaign mode

This applies now. Being a beta tester of CCP & FSX@War, I can forsee the way
of incoming things to FSX/P3D, regarding Mil. Ops and my latest mission builts
take this future potential into account.
For example : When FSX@War Libya theater comes out (hopefully a Christmas gift but
you can never know...), mission "BattleGround for CCP : F-14" may be used by a user
for flying in this theater, bringing thus the FSX Mission system qualities into that theater.
Same goes with the A-7 and F-4 missions for Vietnam theater. CCP already includes the
Vietnam road network (and may be expanded to cover Laos & Cambodia...).

I'm in a USN based VA, but there are times based on my location and time zone I
am not able to connect with other members.
I don't think that there are exclusively offliners or onliners, anyway. Most people do both in various degrees.

missions give a single player purpose besides chasing offline AI around
Yes, exactly. The point isn't about shooting fish in a barrel. But taking off from some base,
navigate to the task area and return home for Landing.

The failed "Combat Pilot" series had this
I don't know anything about this, but I guess something like it can be made if there is interest
for this.

but the base FSX mission can be buggy at times
Stands true. Apart of fault mission building, in some cases and under random conditions, mission
code comes to execute 2 triggers at the same time. If such a case happens during flight, only one
trigger can fire. This may mean that some actions meant to be de-activated from second trigger,
remain active "screwing" things up to more or less extend.
But buggs are there to be corrected or bypassed... if possible.

BTW : Regarding the CCP AAA vehicle in BGX Korea, a type of failure that may occur is "engine 2 fire"
that F-86 doesn't have. This happens cause I copy/pasted code from Phantom.
This will be corrected to the next update, together with many new features.
I have already added the Rearm/Refuel/Repair Area at Chodo isl.

Victory103
November 3rd, 2015, 11:54
Google the site, old info is still up for you to review:
http://combatpilotseries.com/

Basically on a single MP server, one started a career with either naval or air force tracks. You started in the A/T-6B, then based on track moved to the T-38C or T-45C/Hawk (textures for each country). The models were from various developers or authors. The F-18 formed the basis for the still WIP newer FSXBA Hornet. Of course there were bugs within the UI and FSX missions, but the concept was sound at least on paper.