PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10

jojohnson9
October 31st, 2015, 07:37
I know that a previous thread discussed the automatic Windows 10 installation. My question for anyone running Windows 10 is if FSX operates the same.
Do I have to reload FSX or make any changes to my current settings?

Paul Domingue
October 31st, 2015, 08:22
I know that a previous thread discussed the automatic Windows 10 installation. My question for anyone running Windows 10 is if FSX operates the same.
Do I have to reload FSX or make any changes to my current settings?

FSX should work without a hitch in Windows 10. You shouldn't have to do anything to the SIM.

glennc
October 31st, 2015, 09:13
Windows 10 is causing no problems at all on FSX with acceleration. I have it installed in all the default locations. I handled all the UAC related issues some time ago. I don't remember having to do anything new going into Win10. Is it any better? Maybe but not enough to quantify.

Glenn

gman5250
October 31st, 2015, 09:40
I'm running FSX/Acceleration, P3Dv2.5 and P3Dv3.0 on Win10 with no sim related issues. FSX is on the default C: Drive with both versions of P3D running side by side on the dedicated SSD E Drive. No problems or conflicts that can be related to the actual simulators.

Be advised that Win10 is still fundamentally a public beta and you may see some transient anomalies related to the OS itself.

huub vink
October 31st, 2015, 10:13
No problems here as well. I even have the feeling that FSX loads a bit faster under Windows 10.

Cheers,
Huub

txnetcop
October 31st, 2015, 11:01
No problems with FSX or X-Plane 10.4 with Win 10
Ted

jojohnson9
October 31st, 2015, 19:05
Thank you all for your helpful input. I'll be updating to Windows 10 soon now that I know it is safe for FSX.

Cees Donker
November 1st, 2015, 01:41
Make the move to Win 10 yesterday. No problems.

Cees

Jafo
November 1st, 2015, 03:05
Made the change on 4 computers so far.
Latest one has issues with the NVidia driver [590 card] continually being supplanted by/confused with the mandatory MS updating process.
It seems first you NEED to alter the OS to prevent GPU driver updates and FORCE the OS to accept a manual install.

This mandatory update process can and likely WILL break things from time to time.

If you say...."I have had no dramas" you are going to have to add "yet".

Microsoft cannot guarantee 100% success. I'd be curious to see figures for the ACTUAL ...;)

AussieMan
November 1st, 2015, 12:48
I have been using W10 since the first Technical Preview was made available and have had no problems whatsoever. Found that it loaded much faster on my computer and both FSX and P3D also seemed to load much faster. I am now up to Build 10565 of the Insiders Preview.

Anneke
November 1st, 2015, 12:53
Win 10 is ok now. But I have one small niggle with Win10/FSX and my joystick. Whenever I press the change view button on my joystick, not only my view changes (:untroubled:) but also the "Search Windows" menu pops up. And I can't seem to get rid of it. Any one an idea what might cause it and how to get rid of it?
I don't have it with my Saitek yoke, go figure..

mfitch
November 1st, 2015, 21:31
Is the inability to use menus in full screen mode and similar problems listed in another Win10 thread fixed?

I use a pair of NVIDIA 570 cards running in SLI 3D surround always with full screen.

napacon
November 2nd, 2015, 07:19
More Stuff WIN 10.......................http://www.computerworld.com/article/3000124/microsoft-windows/windows-10-growth-itbwcw.html?ref=yfp

johannesl
November 23rd, 2015, 09:31
I installed Windows 10 last week and except for a couple things FSX seems to run pretty well. The colors seem a little more vivid since it doesn't seem to use Windows 7 Basic. The only problems I've run across so far are that I had to reinstall a payware airplane because the textures weren't showing, it kept losing my USB yoke on start up (unplug and plug it back in and it works fine), and the loading and close down screens do not show up even though I know they are there as with a little hunting and clicking I find them and can end the flight. I'm not quite sure how to fix that last issue.

DaveB
November 23rd, 2015, 09:37
Has anyone tried installing FSX on a clean Win10 install? I've read reports that Win10 isn't compatible with DX9 and this can cause issues.

ATB
DaveB:)

Bradburger
November 23rd, 2015, 09:45
Has anyone tried installing FSX on a clean Win10 install? I've read reports that Win10 isn't compatible with DX9 and this can cause issues.

ATB

I installed FSX SE (DX10 with Steve's DX10 fixer) on a clean Windows 10 install since release on my new build PC with no problems.

Seems to run very well, but I can't comment on how well it runs in DX9 mode.

I would say though that DX10 with the fixer is the way to go.

Cheers

Paul

DaveB
November 23rd, 2015, 10:07
Cheers Paul.. I'll pass that info on;)

I've read of similar issues with GTA (also DX9 based) but there was a workaround for that by installing the full user DX9 pack and (I think) running GTA in WinXP compatibility mode. An FSX user on another forum has reported that Win10 will not let him install DX9 though if it's possible to get GTA working with it, I can't see why the same can't be done with FSX/Acc/Gold/SE.
ATB

DaveQ
November 23rd, 2015, 10:17
Dave, I only use DX9 and it's working fine on my rig (Nvidia 760 ti OEM). The reason is I have issues with seeing reheat textures with some aircraft using DX10 when applying Steve's fixer. Also a specific issue with the Milviz Phantom reheat in particular. Nothing changed when swapping to Windows 10.

DaveQ

DaveB
November 23rd, 2015, 10:24
Cheers Dave;)

Was FSX already installed and Win10 an upgrade. Under these circumstances.. DX9 is already there so to speak. The problem the user at Flying Stations is having is that Win10 refuses to let him install DX9.
ATB

Naismith
November 23rd, 2015, 11:50
In a moment of bored weakness I installed 10. It went pretty smoothly. The "look" of it takes some getting used to, all the windows being flat. I find some aspects a bit clunky and counter intuitive.

Couple of things

1. Why would they remove the Save_as function when downloading files. Now when I have d/l a bunch of files I have to go afterwards and manually put them in relevant folders on my external HD, no biggy if you can remember what the file name referred to.

2. Favourites list :- Where is that stored now. I imported my W7 list Ok but when I bookmark a new site in EDGE it shows the listing in EDGE just fine. It is not possible to place that link in a relevant folder and looking in File Explorer under myname\favourites, the link is not there.

I'm confident there will be other things MS have done to specifically p#ss me off but I yet to find them.

Oh yeah.

3. I miss the Google Toolbar - it had a bunch of handy buttons on it notably "Translate" which would translate a complete webpage in an (almost) instant. Now how do we do that?

DaveB
November 23rd, 2015, 12:25
Yup.. it's an odd OS. I have a windows phone which is fine but I don't care for it much on the new laptop. It came with Win8.1 (only had it a couple of months) so we used it (tried to use it) for a week before cracking and accepting the upgrade to 10. During the upgrade, it asks if you want to keep this and keep that or accept this and accept that. Edge was one such thing. I didn't know what it was so de-selected the option. It went ahead and installed anyway:banghead: About 3 or 4 days later.. it came up with a message saying that Edge wasn't compatible with McAfee so would revert back to IE12. What a result!!:biggrin-new:

I still have problems with it though. SWMBO wanted a new game (Majhong) so I downloaded and installed it. We had a look and she was happy. I closed it down and she asked 'where will I find it'? It took another 5mins to find where it had gone!! I'm using the retro-look version too:( All in all.. it's not for me. I dislike it with a passion but feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. Accept it or accept it.
ATB

ST0RM
November 24th, 2015, 05:53
I upgraded to Win10, hoping to cure the USB/controller drop in P3D v2.5

IanHenry
November 24th, 2015, 06:08
I updated to Windows10 and had to go back to Windows 7 because my Hitachi external hard drive will not work. Windows see's the device and you can even open it and look at the folders, but it's so slow and transferring a small file off or onto it is an overnight job. I think it's a driver issue, but Hitachi don't offer driver for download, it's supposed to be with Windows. I contacted Microsoft Support and they wanted $99 to try and fix it, no thanks I'll re install 7.

Ian

napacon
November 24th, 2015, 06:30
,,WIN 10 still being devloped..While it will be the OS of the future, they still are going thru developments. Like many , I too will wait...Today my Win7 is flawless, I control it ,and it will not control me. No suprises pop up, No one over my shoulder I did Install Win 10 on my FS9 computer..works fine..EXCEPT could not use FS9..rolled back to Win 7?? No Problem...No, No Test Pilot me..will Wait and observe...Let them get their Bugs Out..I have none now..Thnx!

big-mike
November 24th, 2015, 07:40
,,WIN 10 still being devloped..While it will be the OS of the future, they still are going thru developments. Like many , I too will wait...Today my Win7 is flawless, I control it ,and it will not control me. No suprises pop up, No one over my shoulder I did Install Win 10 on my FS9 computer..works fine..EXCEPT could not use FS9..rolled back to Win 7?? No Problem...No, No Test Pilot me..will Wait and observe...Let them get their Bugs Out..I have none now..Thnx!

Excellent----+1
Mike

jimjones
November 28th, 2015, 12:23
W10 and FSX seems to work ok except for the menu not working in full screen mode, only windowed mode and the bar showing the loading of scenery,planes etc only shows as a black screen until the sim screen for the simulation appears.

wombat666
November 29th, 2015, 01:27

Agree 110%.
:encouragement:

Maj Kong
November 29th, 2015, 03:39
I was satisfied with win10 until a couple of days ago: Without any changes whatever when I turned on the PC it demanded a password. I was lucky enough to have a Hotmail one. I do NOT want a password to boot my PC
#2 I have gone through the "Share" process several times...Folders say they are shared by "everyone w/full access" . But I still cannot open any of them from my other PC.
Still looking for solutions. Otherwise it seems like an improvement.

Navy Chief
November 29th, 2015, 05:42
I was satisfied with win10 until a couple of days ago: Without any changes whatever when I turned on the PC it demanded a password. I was lucky enough to have a Hotmail one. I do NOT want a password to boot my PC
#2 I have gone through the "Share" process several times...Folders say they are shared by "everyone w/full access" . But I still cannot open any of them from my other PC.
Still looking for solutions. Otherwise it seems like an improvement.

I have not tried this solution about the password problem yet, but will be, later today:

http://www.windows10forums.com/threads/how-to-disable-login-screen-on-win-10.165/

Naismith
November 29th, 2015, 15:06
Well this a.m. scunnered with the clunky unfriendly nature of 10, no Save-as, horrible favorites presentation amongst other things, I reverted back to W7 64 in about 10 mins. It all went smoothly and the only items I have that are having issues with are MS own things like the MS mouse now won't wheel scroll in any controllable fashion. It won't allow an update or reinstall of the s/w and won't allow a deletion either. I'm sure I will eventually find a solution to that. Otherwise glad to be back on familiar ground.
I will concede W10 was faster but that was about it..... :a1310:

Badger85
November 30th, 2015, 04:07
I'm a happy Windows 10 user. I have not had any problems with FSX since installing it, and the OS does seem to work faster and smoother than Windows 8, IMHO. That being said, big-mike's signature image cracks me up every time I see it :mixed-smiley-010:

Maj Kong
November 30th, 2015, 04:28
I have not tried this solution about the password problem yet, but will be, later today:

(http://www.windows10forums.com/threads/how-to-disable-login-screen-on-win-10.165/)http://www.windows10forums.com/threa...on-win-10.165/

Thank you Chief

GunnyG
November 30th, 2015, 10:33
W10 and FSX seems to work ok except for the menu not working in full screen mode, only windowed mode and the bar showing the loading of scenery,planes etc only shows as a black screen until the sim screen for the simulation appears.

I was having that too, on Win10 Home 64-bit ( ..and then it became completely unusable after the big Win10 version 1511 update a couple of weeks ago) until I went here and here:

http://bullcreekstudio.com/commentary/how-to-install-fsx-under-windows-10/

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?95031-Help!-FSX-not-working-on-Windows-10/page2 , which leads you to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Do this and then restart the PC.

I'm now running FSX Acceleration in fullscreen mode on the middle screen, and with new windows of the VC, showing the right and left side views on the respective side monitors.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/n31.0-8/12309918_10206498707481053_4062308943563497569_o.j pg