PDA

View Full Version : DX10 or not to DX10?

SirBenn21
February 1st, 2009, 01:24
Hi

Just wondering if the VISA uses our there use DX10?

Is the performance hit worth it?

Ben

d0mokun
February 1st, 2009, 02:09
I used to run DX10 all of the time, but in the end the novelty of cockpit shadowing wore off and the annoyance of flickering ground areas annoyed me too much.

It does have its issues- the aforementioned crappy taxiway/runway/anythingonthegroundway flickering aspect is forever annoying.

Purcell
February 1st, 2009, 02:11
Hi,

I'm using DX10 for some weeks now, because the RealFlight F6F causes real bad stuttering using DX9 - so, a smooth Hellcat means much more to me, than a textured Ju52!

Tom (who doesn't see a severe performance hit in normal flight, but agrees that the flickering is disgusting)

Meso
February 1st, 2009, 02:52
My frame rates are much more stable in DX-10 mode so i use that. I agree the flickering of taxiway textures is a bit annoying but a smooth flight is more important in my opinion.

kind regards,

Meso

Nick C
February 1st, 2009, 03:11
Couldn't care one hoot for DX10 as it's not a complete option in the sim, I do fully understand that some people get better performance however. For me the only advantage in DX10 is the water, but IMO this pleasing effect is far overshadowed by the flickering texture issue.

DX9 is fine for my needs.

Why the Poll, are you developing and looking for feedback?

FlameOut
February 1st, 2009, 03:14
I also use Direct X 10 with the same isssues as above and the benefit of smoother flight; even if it is only 5-6 fps [total] on my ol' P.C. I really like the self-shadowing in the V.C.; why MS dropped the V.C. rain effect I'll never know, I guess it was to be one or the other! Another thing about Direct X 10 is that your external aircraft lights such as Nav., Positon, Strobe, Afterburner effect ( if it is a light.fx ) will only show from certain angles while in spot view mode.

ICDP
February 1st, 2009, 03:29
DX10 does not allow AA to be enabled through your graphics card control panel. The native AA in FSX looks nowhere near as good as custom AA, especially at 1920x1200.

DX10 gives badly flickering textures on runways & taxiways etc. On my system it gives no performance boost whatsoever. IIRC DX10 may also break vsync in FSX.

It is only a preview mode with some very minor graphics improvements but a lot of graphics problems are caused to get those improvements. Also the very jaggy VC shadowing looks absolutely horrible IMHO.

DX9 for me since it has none of the issues and performs exactly the same on my system.

Cazzie
February 1st, 2009, 03:53
DX9 here too, I get the same flickering effects of runway and taxiways markings and my frame rate is a good 3 to 4 fps slower using DX10. Truth is, I don't think FSX is truly capable of utilizing DX10 to its full advantage.

Caz

SpaceWeevil
February 1st, 2009, 03:57
I didn't see any real FPS increase with DX10 but the sim definitely ran more smoothly, which is more important than outright FPS to me. However, the remaining FS9 ports in my hanger don't display properly under DX10, and I'm not prepared to give up my favourite A2A P-51 just yet.

hinch
February 1st, 2009, 04:29
DX10 does not allow AA to be enabled through your graphics card control panel. The native AA in FSX looks nowhere near as good as custom AA, especially at 1920x1200.

DX10 gives badly flickering textures on runways & taxiways etc. On my system it gives no performance boost whatsoever. IIRC DX10 may also break vsync in FSX.

It is only a preview mode with some very minor graphics improvements but a lot of graphics problems are caused to get those improvements. Also the very jaggy VC shadowing looks absolutely horrible IMHO.

DX9 for me since it has none of the issues and performs exactly the same on my system.

Same here.

Boomer
February 1st, 2009, 06:10
Looking at the FPS counter I get slightly better performance in DX10 mode although it is not perceptible. The only anomaly I have seen with it is at some angle the AB on some aircraft wont display.

I have found myself turning it on & off as the mood moves me.

It is presently off FWIW.

empeck
February 1st, 2009, 06:38
I don't use Dx10 mode because of flickering runways. I don't like VC selfshadowing too, because there is a visible offset between shadow, and shadow casting object.

limjack
February 1st, 2009, 07:00
I am with the others that do not care for it, did not gain any FPS and got all the above issues with it so It is turned off for good.

Jim

jimjones
February 1st, 2009, 07:06
Mostly fly with DX9 since I use many fs9 planes. No significant fps difference.

Fly dx10 when I want vc shadows and better water, but that is only 5% of the time.

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
February 1st, 2009, 07:25
I always use DX10 and much prefer the way water looks + things are smoother . AA is not an issue , no enhancer in use but screenshots are perfect as is rendering in game .<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
But i never fly FSX for recreation as i design full time and it feels like work , staring at the screen with the latest bird staring back at me after 8 hours kind of removes the fun factor , that said all the work i release is designed for use with DX10 , has cockpit shadows and is tested to run in sp 1 , sp 2 and Accel so all the bases are covered.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
For "fun" i fly air races with the boys at Props , on a special server at WCATC that monitors time to the millisecond and gate skips , allows a starter plane to do a lap around a different course each week and we also do cross country <o:p></o:p>
races on occasion in a gang of different planes , P51D's , Lancair's , Laird turner's ( used them last thursday ) , and texans , pitts biplane , and last but not least the P38.<o:p></o:p>
This activity causes sweaty palms and often long term rivalries, i have been doing it for years now and still finish dead last , but don’t end up in the dirt and that keeps me from being disqualified like most newbees , This is all done using FS9 and with a quadcore i get some amazing framerates... <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Gold Leader
February 1st, 2009, 07:52
All but DX9 here, it runs fine with ATi HD 4870 X2's :) Which was kind of a surprise, normallyI use an XFX 9800 GX2XXX Edition, since a mate of mne hat ATi's R700 I lend it from him because hhe wanted to know if this card could cope with FSX as like an other Ati couldn't , but it did he was very surprised! :D
http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/d/34618-2/FSX+on+R700.png (http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/d/34616-1/FSX+on+R700.png)

Normally ATi cards have mainly a hard time when running FSX, it seems that ATi Cat 9.1 fixed a lot of issues as the image quality is staggering.

Antoninus
February 1st, 2009, 08:18
I've largely abandoned to use the DX10 mode. It's somewhat faster on my system, some nice effects I can use bloom without any fps penality (although I prefer DX9 light bloom effects), but there are just too many problems at too many places: flickering runway textures at some airports, double runway markings at others, problems with night lightning in some sceneries, no compatibility with FS9 portover stuff etc. For some time I switched between both modes depending on aircraft and scenery and planned to use, but now stay with DX9 exclusively.

Gold Leader
February 1st, 2009, 09:47
heh indeed I always had good performance with DX9 + SP1 so I didn't even see the point of installing SP2 and up if something runs perfectly stable without glitches I'm like keep it that way, since I don't even see the point using DX10 for such a matter the physics used in FSX in DX9 should be exact the same as with DX10 the bending wings and rain as such.

Then if you really want to make FSX look better use Ultimate Terrain FSX or something in that kind of direction, heh I don't even n this since iit's kind of hard to find on DVD heh, all I'd like is an ultimate terrain pack of the entire globe with everything in it, but the thing is does something like this even exist?

Dangerous Beans
February 1st, 2009, 13:25
I mainly fly in XP with DX9 of course.
I have Vista 64bit but have since deleted it from my system mainly as I wasnt happy with it in FSX for all the prevoiusly mentioned reasons.

I'm currently playing about with the Windows 7 beta but it has all the same problems in FSX as Vista douse.

I do get better frames with W7 and Vista in DX10 but I think thats mainly due to the broken AA, I use combined 8xS through NHancer but thats ignored in DX10 and will only run FSX's default AA which I beleive is only 2x hence the highed FPS.

radialmr
February 28th, 2009, 12:16
How do you turn off DX10 ?
Thanks
Mel

Gdavis101
February 28th, 2009, 13:19
I ended up turning off all those extra DX 10 additions.

SirBenn21
March 1st, 2009, 02:55
Thanks
Mel

On the settings "Graphics"
Un-check "Preview DirectX 10"
Easy

Ben

radialmr
March 1st, 2009, 04:16
OK got it Thanks Ben
Mel

Cazzie
March 1st, 2009, 04:31
Thanks
Mel

Mel, it's more like how do you turn it on.

FSX is default in DX9 mode. To get DX10 you have to click Settings > Customize > and check the Preview DX10, then close out of the sim and open it again. Now you're in Preview DX10 mode. Mine stays with the Preview DX10 choice unchecked, I just don't care for it.

Caz

Mickey D
March 1st, 2009, 04:47
My card won't run it anyway so I don't design for it and I don't miss it. Although my colleague Bob Baum checks the scenery on his system. Why have a poll for a Demo for an unfinished feature which may not now appear anyway? Seems a bit pointless to me. Just my two penn'orth.

Navy Chief
March 1st, 2009, 05:40
I occasionally use the DX10 preview mode. Which brings up another question. Does the term, "Preview DX10" mean that there will eventually be a permanent DX10 selection?

NC

Buddha13
March 1st, 2009, 10:33
Hi all,
Okay updated my machine to run DX10.Got a:
Intel QX9650 3ghz extreme processor
Nvidea GTX280 graphics card with 1gb memory
4 GB DDR3
ASUS Stryker II extreme mobo.
DX10 runs like crap.2-3 fps broken and torn graphics.Back on DX9 40-60 fps.Only round Tokyo does it drop to 15-20 fps for some reason.
This was with a clean install with SP1 and 2.Plus the Acceleration pack.
Have just now started the long process of reinstalling all my addons.Going through 50 dvds to get the best out.
Anyway DX10 is out.

Buddha13

SkippyBing
March 1st, 2009, 11:07
Hmm, run DX10 on the Win 7 beta and it's fine, apart from the effects only working in certain places etc. To be honest I don't think it actually makes a quantifiable difference on my machine whether I us DX9 or 10, the main difference is between XP and 7 where 7 is just faster, from load time to FPS in game. I initially thought it was because I was running a very vanilla install of 7 and FSX, but having loaded up the usual software and add-ons to OS and FS I have to say it's still much quicker than on XP.

Specs:
AMD Phenom 9950
4GB of DDR2
nVidia 9600GT
and some other bits to tie it all together

Roger
March 1st, 2009, 11:22
Hi all,
Okay updated my machine to run DX10.Got a:
Intel QX9650 3ghz extreme processor
Nvidea GTX280 graphics card with 1gb memory
4 GB DDR3
ASUS Stryker II mobo.
DX10 runs like crap.2-3 fps broken and torn graphics.Back on DX9 40-60 fps.Only round Tokyo does it drop to 15-20 fps for some reason.
This was with a clean install with SP1 and 2.Plus the Acceleration pack.
Have just now started the long process of reinstalling all my addons.Going through 50 dvds to get the best out.
Anyway DX10 is out.

Buddha13

It should only look crap on older drivers. on 180+ dx10 should look better except for the flashy runway markers. I've reverted to 169.44 drivers in dx9 which seems to be the turning point between vsync being improved and the little micro jumps that shipped with the 170+ drivers. So I get the the odd bit of tearing but the micro jumps don't happen.

n4gix
March 1st, 2009, 11:56
I occasionally use the DX10 preview mode. Which brings up another question. Does the term, "Preview DX10" mean that there will eventually be a permanent DX10 selection?

NC

Well, there would have been one in FSvNext, but since ACES studio was disbanded, the answer is a simple "No, there will not."

6297J
March 1st, 2009, 12:06
My experience of DX10 is 1000 times better than with DX9. I get a glimmer on the taxiway but it really doesn't detract. The actual flight experience is so beautifully smooth with all sliders at max - I must be very lucky!

Intel Q9650 3.00ghz
8GB Corsair Dominator
Asus Rampage Formula mobo
HD 4870x2 2048MB
Coolermaster Real Power Pro 1250W PSU
Dell 2408WFP
Vista Ultimate 64

Lionheart
March 1st, 2009, 12:11
The effect was so mild and at such a high cost that I never use it...

I am now back to WinXP which doesnt support DX10 and I am happy.

Performance performance performance...

SkippyBing
March 1st, 2009, 13:25
As a comparison, on the same machine in a saved flight at Paris CdG in XP I get 5fps, in Win 7 beta I get 15 fps. Both in DX9, both have the same add-ons installed. DX10 gives me 13 fps in the same situation.
As soon as I can get Win 7 final release I'm so ditching XP!

Lionheart
March 1st, 2009, 18:07
As a comparison, on the same machine in a saved flight at Paris CdG in XP I get 5fps, in Win 7 beta I get 15 fps. Both in DX9, both have the same add-ons installed. DX10 gives me 13 fps in the same situation.
As soon as I can get Win 7 final release I'm so ditching XP!

Sounds awesome man... Nothing like a good running, smooth, stable OS.

:d

Kiwikat
March 1st, 2009, 19:09
Sounds awesome man... Nothing like a good running, smooth, stable OS.

:d

Sounds like my Vista Ultimate 64 install :engel016:

(Ubuntu 8.10 is also running really well on my eee)

YoYo
March 9th, 2014, 03:41
Im big fan of DX10 from the last week when I the first time install Steve DX10 Fixer! The new fresh air in FSX (W7 64).

Not edited:

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/Various/Screenshot40624_zpsf1c22faf.jpg~original

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/Various/Screenshot29388_zps6beb14bd.jpg~original

orionll
March 9th, 2014, 12:06
Where did the vignette come from since it's not edited?

Roger
March 9th, 2014, 12:38
Until today's posts this thread was 5 years old. It takes no account of the work done with Dx10 by Steve Parsons and his amazing fixer which amongst many other fixes also can add shadows to legacy external views.

YoYo
March 9th, 2014, 12:59
Where did the vignette come from since it's not edited?

SweetFX for sure. Example in Dx10:

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/Various/Screenshot92318_zps1f7a16b2.jpg (http://s921.photobucket.com/user/rafikst/media/Various/Screenshot92318_zps1f7a16b2.jpg.html) http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/Various/Screenshot169950_zpse3adb9fa.jpg (http://s921.photobucket.com/user/rafikst/media/Various/Screenshot169950_zpse3adb9fa.jpg.html)

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/Mi-24V%20Hind/Screenshot20782_zps9a35d278.jpg (http://s921.photobucket.com/user/rafikst/media/Mi-24V%20Hind/Screenshot20782_zps9a35d278.jpg.html)

orionll
March 9th, 2014, 13:34
Ah, wow, it can do that? That's neat. :)

dvj
March 9th, 2014, 14:58
I switched to DX10 recently. At least a 20% maybe 30% improvement in fps. Water textures, colors,appear more pronounced. cockpit shading only shows in the enabled aircraft that have it. Some texture problems with FTX and older dx9 converted aircraft. Have not purchased the "fixer" yet. Been tweaking with the Nvidia inspector.

d

ncooper
March 9th, 2014, 15:32
Some texture problems with FTX and older dx9 converted aircraft. Have not purchased the "fixer" yet. Been tweaking with the Nvidia inspector.

d

If you do purchase the fixer, your remaining problems will go away.

JoeW
March 10th, 2014, 02:58
I went to Steves site at the link in the thread and could not find the "Fixer" that was mentioned. Mus be dense or sumpin!

:very_drunk:

Roger
March 10th, 2014, 05:31
I went to Steves site at the link in the thread and could not find the "Fixer" that was mentioned. Mus be dense or sumpin!

:very_drunk:

Hi Joe,
When Avsim is back up again the Official Dx10/Steve's Fixer forum is here: http://forum.avsim.net/forum/644-the-official-dx10-scenery-fixer-support-forum/

The product can be purchased from The Flightsim Store.

manfredc3
March 11th, 2014, 08:48
Never been a fan of DX10.

Built a new FSX rig two years ago:
CPU: Intel i7 2600k @4.6GHZ
Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3
Mobo: Asus P8Z67-v Pro/Gen3
GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC 4GB
PSU: Corsair AX 760W.
Case: CoolerMaster HAF932 Advanced.

Even with this rig I never once thought of even trying DX10, as with add-ons like REX OD, Shade and others I am already very satisfied with what I see.
For me, I don't see any reason to spend $34 on something that I may only use once. A demo or trial version would have been an option.
Oh, I just read that it doesn't work with multi monitor setup's, so it's a definite "no go" for me.

I saw somewhere in this thread that someone was asking about ground textures, covering the whole world: Have a look at FTX Global and Vector.