PDA

View Full Version : Unwrapping Question

stuart277
October 28th, 2015, 19:36
Hi All
I have a question that someone may be able to answer.
I work with GMax and PaintShopPro 7
In the attached picture I am trying to texture a wing from an aeroplane.
The actual Z shape is shown in red on the left.
When I go to edit the object in UVW mapping, the shape is not the same, but fits into the bitmap, as shown on the right.
It has to be altered (a lot), and in this case, it is very difficult to get it right.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30760&stc=1

I go through the following steps:
Set object to editable poly, polygon.
UnwrapUVW, Z
Fit
UVmapping
Edit

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Stuart

Milton Shupe
October 28th, 2015, 19:51
Stuart,

You need to do a UVWmap before the unwrap.

Editable Poly
Select the polys
Apply a UVWmap
Select the gizmo
Align to View
Fit
Then set the size x,y
Then Unwrap
Edit

stuart277
October 28th, 2015, 22:57
Hi Milton:wavey:
Thank you for your quick reply.
I made a mistake in the original post.
My steps are
Set object to editable poly, polygon.
UVmapping
Alignment (z in this case)
Fit
UnwrapUVW, Z
Edit

This is nearly what you said except:

Select the gizmo. I am not sure what that is?
Then set the size x,y. Again, I am not sure what that is?

Cheers
Stuart

gastonj
October 29th, 2015, 03:16
Maybe it is a scaling problem during the uvw mapping. I am a beginner, i have this problem very often. The problem appear in my work when i try to use bitmaps with parts not at the same scale. I have to modify the uvw mapping parameters (length, width etc.) to cure this and maintain aspect ratio.
JMC

Milton Shupe
October 29th, 2015, 04:53
If your texture sheet is square, then you should be setting your x,y to a square setting to maintain the aspect ratio otherwise your mapping will be stretched over the square texture sheet.

So a 2048 x 2048 texture sheet requires you use a 10 x 10 or 5 x 5 or 3 x 3 or any square size in your UVW map length/width parameters to avoid stretching the part to fit the square texture sheet. If you part is more rectangular, than it will show stretched square to fill the unwrap window. So, for the part to retain its proper shape, use the x,y parameters to keep your aspect ratio correct.

stuart277
October 29th, 2015, 14:54
Hi Milton
Thank you very much.
This worked very well.:applause::applause::applause:
It is always good to find out new things. I have spent a lot of time trying (with varying degree's of success) to get ships hulls to look ok, but now I know how.
Cheers
Stuart

Milton Shupe
October 29th, 2015, 16:13
Ah Stuart, happy that it worked for you.

I would just say that Hairyspin's mapping tutorial in the aircraft design forum is top notch. If you follow that you can not go wrong.

I also have posted an older series of videos in the library by John Howard White that are very instructional here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php?action=show&sort=d&literal=1&userid=249&page=5

And of course, if you wish, I also did a tutorial on mapping for the C-162 Cessna that may be helpful in graphic and video formats here in the library, or here in section 22 at the bottom:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/tut/fs9/c162/