PDA

View Full Version : Combat Flight Sim to FS9

zswobbie1
October 26th, 2015, 23:00
Hi guys,

Is it possible to convert any aircraft or vehicles from any of the CFS's to FS9?
There are some great things there that I would love to have in my FS9/Golden Wings.

mrogers
October 26th, 2015, 23:56
Hi Zswobbie, yes, it is possible to port over most CFS2 aircraft and vehicles made with gmax and FSDS to FS9. The default CFS2 flyable aircraft can be ported over easily. They just need some lines added to the flightsim entries in their aircraft cfgs like the model and make of the aircraft, for example. Have a look in an FS9 default aircraft's folder and look at its aircraft cfg and you'll see why.

Not CFS1 aircraft as the models are incompatiable with FS9 due to the older design programs used to make them.

Motormouse
October 27th, 2015, 00:58
Yes, pretty much any cfs 2 model made with gmax or fsds2 will work with fs9.
As Mark says, you'll need to add the ui entries in cfg file, and also remove the dp entries and dp file.
(Damage profile used by cfs2)

Ttfn

Pete

zswobbie1
October 27th, 2015, 01:43
Thought so. I have done some of that, changing panels or gauges where needed. I just did not think it was so easy. CFS 3 a no-no?
Many thanks.
Robin

mrogers
October 27th, 2015, 02:04
No, the cfs3 models won't work in fs9 as they're designed specifically for cfs3. Although I think you can use the aircraft sounds in fs9.

zswobbie1
October 27th, 2015, 02:48
Thanks. There are some weird planes that I've seen, also vehicles but I just cannot remember where. I'll keep on searching.
If a guy can do a decent freeware, I'll give it a try. Simming can be fun as well! ;-)

Willy
October 27th, 2015, 04:50
CFS 3 aircraft sounds will work in both FS9 & FSX. And if you change the contact points and some other tweaks to match the FS9/CFS 2 model, you can get a CFS 3 flight model to work as well. I tend to use the Av History ones. Right now one of my long term personal projects is the old FS9 Alphasim F-80C Shooting Star in FSX using the AvHistory CFS3 YP-80A flight model & sound pack, the original model with the panel "re-gauged" and paints based on Morton's CFS 2 paints for it (I made templates for new paints from them). The FS9 gauges worked good in FSX but I found a set of F-84 gauges that had a better look to them. I'm working towards a 1945-1947 P-80A.

Mick
October 27th, 2015, 05:07
Bear in mind that some older CFS2 planes, made with early versions of the modeling software can not be converted, as they lose their animations, mainly the props. So if you convert a plane and that happens, don't be discouraged. They don't all do that! In fact, most do not. And the better ones tend to be more recently built, so they won't do it.

Sometimes you might find one that doesn't fly very well. That can be remedied by adapting a true FS9 flight model from a similar plane by replacing the contact points, lights (if any), effects (if any) and perhaps radios (if any) in the aircraft.cfg file from the model you're converting into the cfg file you're adapting, along with the AIR filem along with User Interface sections [fltsim.0] for each paint.)

Also, note that while CFS2 planes often have a copy of the whole aircraft in its own folder for each paint, you can put multiple paints on one model in one folder simply by inserting a new UI section into the aircraft.cfg file ( [fltsim.0], [fltsim.1], etc.)

Have fun!

zswobbie1
October 27th, 2015, 05:16
Thanks for all the info & help.

Cheers,
Robin

jrbirdman
October 29th, 2015, 11:39
Any way we could make this a sticky? I've always wanted to do this myself but never knew how until this thread so I believe it could really help others as well if they wanted to try the same thing. Best regards, Jeremy

Tom Clayton
October 29th, 2015, 16:56
I can do better than sticking - I can put it in the Tweaks & Tips section!