PDA

View Full Version : Are FSX's VOR and ILS frequencys the same as in real life?

William
October 18th, 2015, 13:53
Basically im trying to learn to become a better pilot and im slowly trying to figure out visual flight aids and ive found out you need to:

1.) Enable it in the Menus
2.) Set it to NAV1 and set NAV1 to an VOR or ILS Frequency (Haven't learned how to actually set the frequencys yet)

I have 2 monitors so basically ive been googling the airports VOR/ILS frequency but im not sure if the developers went to the length of setting them to there real life counter parts for smaller airports such as Cape Giradeau Regional and Williamson County Regional in Illinios. Can anyone confirm weather or not there accurate?

SeanTK
October 18th, 2015, 14:03
For the most part the frequencies are accurate.
Keep in mind though that the FSX database was constructed using 2005/6 data, so things will of course have changed since then. This is usually mitigated with addon scenery.

Have you tried taking the flight lessons in FSX?

EDIT: You can look up those airports on websites such as www.airnav.com, and compare the freqs to what you see in FSX.

William
October 18th, 2015, 14:20
I found Airnav, which is what ive been using. And yes, i only know that it exists because of the tutorial mission that has it. According to AirNav and the FSX map the ILS is 112.90 for KCGI, which i had my NAV1 set to and nothing of the sort showed before or after take off.

EDIT: New Problem, Just noticed all 4 of my CPU cores are registering 100 Celsius with FSX running with enough heat the sensors arent returning a reading on and off. Not good, at least i know why ive been lagging 0.o

SeanTK
October 18th, 2015, 15:46
I found Airnav, which is what ive been using. And yes, i only know that it exists because of the tutorial mission that has it. According to AirNav and the FSX map the ILS is 112.90 for KCGI, which i had my NAV1 set to and nothing of the sort showed before or after take off.

EDIT: New Problem, Just noticed all 4 of my CPU cores are registering 100 Celsius with FSX running with enough heat the sensors arent returning a reading on and off. Not good, at least i know why ive been lagging 0.o

I'm showing that the VOR frequency is 112.9, but the ILS freq is 109.50.
I suggest reviewing the difference between the VOR and ILS systems, and please let me know if you have additional problems too.
You can find the ILS freq on the FSX map by hovering your mouse over the green ILS "feathers" off of the end of the runway.

mfitch
October 18th, 2015, 20:40
For real world practice you can update the frequencies. At the links below you can find free updates and instructions on how to install them. These are a great help to me for running instrument procedures.

http://www.gbmitch.net/
http://www.aero.sors.fr/index.html