PDA

View Full Version : has anyone tried this?

jeansy
January 31st, 2009, 19:21
has anyone tried this?

http://secure.simmarket.com/perfect-flight-sound-environment-x.phtml

your views?

heywooood
January 31st, 2009, 20:00
I was not aware of it until now...it looks interesting, but 22 euros?

I have a decent 3.1 speaker setup and get good sound quality as is.

If anyone with a really good audio setup can comment on this program I would be interested in their opinion too

Bruce Thompson
February 1st, 2009, 03:28
Downloading now, will report back later.

harleyman
February 1st, 2009, 03:56
I have a simular thing for FS9 and it was horrible..I could never tell the difference at all.....But ut corrupted ATC on my rig with FS(..

This one should be way better....Hopefully Bruce will report his findings to us

Tim-HH
February 1st, 2009, 04:30
This program is a bad joke - like everything from 'Perfect Flight'... Just look at the description:

By default, sounds in Flight Simulator X comes registered by Microsoft at 22,050 kHz using only one channel (MONO). Sound Environment X converts all sounds using two channels (STEREO) at 44,100 kHz. This makes as much sense as if you would try to enhance the quality of a picture by resizing it from 512 pixel to 1024 pixel...
All you can do with this program is to blow-up the file size of your FS default sounds...the quality will be the same.

Greetings
Tim

Bruce Thompson
February 1st, 2009, 05:10
Sorry Tim but you are wrong, it does improve the sound of FSX.

The aircraft sounds, general enviroment sounds, and thunder & lightning do sound better. I am pleased with my purchase of this product.
It replaces the default sounds, but they are restorable from the installer, if you wanted to.

heywooood
February 1st, 2009, 05:44
Thank-you Bruce...

Do you have a sub-woofer or surround sound connected to your rig?

I would love to enhance the thunder storm sounds in FSX - the sound is ok in exterior fly-by views but far too faint in the cockpit by default...I have XGraphics enhancements but it does not up the volumn of the thunder.

Also the idea that FSX plays audio in mono rather than stereo mode is interesting. Can you say that it is a noticeable thing with this program?

And where it refers to the difference between FSX default engine sounds and their modified sound files - is that accurate? and better?

JoeW
February 1st, 2009, 06:07
My thoughts are that you will get better frames if you go Mono (Getting rid of the other channel) and using a better recording setting. There is a little tool in the Windows program that is just fine for this.
Sound Recorder, it in the Start, Programs, Accessories, Entertainment. The more compact you make it the better.
FSX reads mono like sterio and it plays just the same. I may get flamed on this but that is my opinion.

Bruce Thompson
February 1st, 2009, 06:24
Thunder is better, full left or right sounds and louder.

Engine sounds are also improved, but only the default ones although I think some of the others have improved.

I am running a 5.1 system with sub woofer.

Overall I think it,s a good improvement over the default FSX.

We all hear things differently but I am pleased with it.

JoeW
February 1st, 2009, 08:33
Bruce ....... The left and right is where it is located. That was probally left and right before. I have a 5 speaker system also. I get sounds in the rear speakers and the front, All depends on which way you face, Check out some of the sounds I have done here in the download section. They will work without my sceneries.
All of my sounds are Mono and medium quality.

heywooood
February 1st, 2009, 08:34
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Bruce - I think I'll put this prog. on the short list:ernae:

I have a modest 3.1 with a SW and have the bass boosted when I fly to get the best I can out of it.

chinookmark
February 1st, 2009, 09:37
I would love to enhance the thunder storm sounds in FSX - the sound is ok in exterior fly-by views but far too faint in the cockpit by default...I have XGraphics enhancements but it does not up the volumn of the thunder.

If it's just thunder you want, Mike Hambly has some sounds out for FS2002 that work very well. Search for "bathfs8.zip" at Avsim. There's also some high definition thunder sounds for FS2004, but Mike Hambly's version incudes more sounds and is louder.

Bruce Thompson
February 1st, 2009, 09:52
Hi Joe

If the thunder is to the left, then so is the sound.

If it's in the centre, then so is the sound.
but coming out of the side speakers also, not as loud as when it's to the side.

If it's to the right then so is the sound.

This does not sound like three mono sounds but more like stereo.

It may be just an effect but it works.

heywooood
February 1st, 2009, 09:53
not just thunder no...but thanks - I just used the default thunder sounds for comparison as a point of reference...but thanks for the tip...will those files you mentioned work in FSX without problems?

JoeW
February 1st, 2009, 11:52
Like I said ........ It's where they are placed. Mono becomes stereo.
Yes .... no problems on the sounds. Only complaint was the dog barking :kiss:.
There is an ambiant sound pack for Bill's 2B2 and for all 4 of my comercial sceneries and they will work without the sceneries. They are in the Add-on sound area for FSX here at SOH.
I believe I am the only person doing sounds for sceneries at present.

Bruce Thompson
February 1st, 2009, 12:10
All my addon sounds, i.e. yours and Plum Island are working. Sitting at Plum Island it also sounds better more clear for some reason. I have not flown anywhere else yet.

guzler
February 1st, 2009, 13:20
I installed the Plumb island sounds too, there are great. Little touches like the dog barking bring it to life

Bjoern
February 1st, 2009, 14:28

Three speakers, one sub?

jeansy
February 1st, 2009, 17:24
thanks Bruce for being the guinea pig

im off to purchase it now

cheers again