PDA

View Full Version : Do We Have OR Can Someone Build Japanese Towns?

Devildog73
October 11th, 2015, 13:20
Hi guys and gals,

I need some help with some modest Japanese Island towns building.

I need two towns of modest size with port facilities.

One town center is at N24* 48.30 X E125* 16.94 with a general layout of West to East rectangle just north of the airfield.

The other town center is at N24* 20.27 X E124* 09.42 with a general layout of NW to SE rectangle just SW of the airfield.

From what I can find, we have lots of European cities but nothing in Japanese towns and small cities of the 1930s and '40s.

The towns themselves do not have to be GSL destroyable, but the ports do need to have damageable infrastructure.

I would be greatly appreciative of any assistance to the BPF campaign.

:jump: :mixed-smiley-010:

Blood_Hawk23
October 11th, 2015, 14:01
what do you need? do we have the buildings required? get some pics and lets see what we have.

Allen
October 11th, 2015, 14:31
I don't even know of any Japanese buildings that could be used...

Rami
October 11th, 2015, 14:39
Allen.

Wolfi has some Asian buildings in his library objects pack 7, and the airfield buildings in Pen32Win's AF airfield package and his bunker package would be a good place to start, along with those by Lindsay Watt.

Allen
October 11th, 2015, 15:43
Well that takes care of the major part than.

Devildog73
October 11th, 2015, 17:30
This is a mixture of historic and modern and the historic give a pretty good idea of the architecture of the time in Japan.

https://www.google.com/search?q=historic+photos+of+miyakojima&biw=1920&bih=911&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CBwQsARqFQoTCKWrlajju8gCFQKsHgodWlQFJw&dpr=1

Google earth gives an idea of the area, though it is MUCH more populated now.

I am also looking for light houses to place on the islands in proper locations.
From what I am reading most were destroyed on bombing runs during the war and have now been rebuilt.

MaskRider
October 11th, 2015, 17:57
Is this for that "Iceberg"(sp?) campaign you mentioned a while ago? The one where you were interested in a harbor and airbase at Miyakijima Hirara island?

MR

Devildog73
October 11th, 2015, 18:14
Is this for that "Iceberg"(sp?) campaign you mentioned a while ago? The one where you were interested in a harbor and airbase at Miyakijima Hirara island?

MR

Yes.
Here is another site with historic photos.
https://www.google.com/search?q=WW2+aerial+photos+of+miyakojima&biw=1920&bih=911&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CF0QsARqFQoTCIvSxI_qu8gCFYRsHgodkwUPtw&dpr=1

MaskRider
October 12th, 2015, 12:22
Been playing around with it. I'm not sure you would want anything I might come up with. It would probably be more resource intensive than what you need and would take way longer than you want to wait. I was able to dope out the approximate location of the three airfields on Miyako Shima and I assume the harbor facilities would be located where present day harbor facilities are located? If all you want are some scenery objects added, that is very easily accomplished in MB. As was suggested, Wolfi's Asian houses work superbly. I used them extensively in my Marianas, Haha Jima and DEI scenery. BTW, what mesh and masks are you using, Rhumbas or stock? You can also toss in a couple of infrastructure runways to stand in for the Kamikaze Airfields.

It's a very interesting project, BTW. The allies committed a heck of a lot of resources to it.

MR

BTW: Miyako Shima looks like it would be a very pleasant place to visit and/or live.

Fibber
October 12th, 2015, 13:50
...on info for the island bases. But you probably already have this. http://wgordon.web.wesleyan.edu/kamikaze/books/related/samples/index.htm
(http://wgordon.web.wesleyan.edu/kamikaze/books/related/samples/index.htm)
I did find this site that appeared to have low alt photos but they are transitioning to a new place. Maybe they can be a reference for things you maybe don't have http://test.armyairforces.com/ (http://wgordon.web.wesleyan.edu/kamikaze/books/related/samples/index.htm)

Fibber
October 13th, 2015, 13:51
Found this one...http://digitalarchive.pacificwarmuseum.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p16769coll2/id/1868/rec/11

(http://digitalarchive.pacificwarmuseum.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p16769coll2/id/1868/rec/11)

Fibber
October 13th, 2015, 14:13
...But found this pic of Naha while it was still fairly intact http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2011/10/world-war-ii-the-fall-of-imperial-japan/100175/ (#9 and 11)

Devildog73
October 14th, 2015, 18:09
MR,
Achim did a very nice Nabaru AB for me.

I tried building Miyako Shima with Wolfi's Japanese buildings but could not get the flattens correct. Same with the main air base.

I got tied up with my studies and didn't get back with Achim or anyone else to help finish the island and bases.

Back in the '30s and '40s the island was not significantly populated, so the town and airbase had some separation with rice paddies between them.
The island has fairly flat terrain and back at that time only the larger town on the north with the port and small villages near the other airbases.
There was a lighthouse on the far northeast and far southeast edges of the island respectively at the end of each jetty.

Yes, the port was in essentially the same location as today only smaller.

Yes, it would be fun to visit, I think. It is now marketed as a tourist destination, with a German village and castle amusement park.
When I was stationed on Okinawa in the Corps, I know from personal experience that all of those chain islands were wonderful for diving and snorkeling.

The island chain population is not considered to be true Japanese and there was a lot of discussion back then of Okinawa Prefecture becoming its own country.
They got it all worked out apparently and became part of Japan after I left Okinawa.
Okinawa was a nice place to unwind and become human again after I left Vietnam before returning to the States.

On timing, I am in May '45 building right now. BPF as TF 57 left the area for much needed resupply and refitting on May 25th.
They returned as TF 37 in June '45.

I am debating with myself as to whether I want to end BPF TF 57 on 25 May '45 and build a new separate campaign as BPF TF 37, or continue on as one campaign.

I currently have 42 BPF missions; Iceberg I (16), Iceberg Oolong (12), and Iceberg II (14) missions as of 4 May '45. I am thinking that 50 may be the magic number to end at with TF 57 by 25 May '45.
(Input from our British cousins is most welcome.)

I have gone back in and started flying the campaign from beginning to make sure all works properly.
I have one glitch that is driving me battier than I already was. For whatever reason I have lost my British radio voices. All of my aircraft are allegiance 1. The voice files are where they should be in Sound/radio. My "canned" action voices work just fine, but I cannot speak to my wingmen nor hear them.

Anyway, bottom line: I still have probably another month before I get to 25 May '45.
Anything you are willing to do to help out will be GREATLY appreciated.
I am kind of a failure at scenery construction, as you probably already know if you have flown the Meridian campaign. My Manna Air Field is basic at best, and that is being kind to myself....

Devildog73
October 14th, 2015, 18:18
Fibber,
Thanks.
Yes, I do have a couple of those sites already. I ran across the Kamikaze, Wings Over Sakishima during my studies because my masters is in theology and my thesis was on John Wesley.
I genuinely stumbled across that site during research for my thesis.
Thank you for listing the others.
DD

Devildog73
November 5th, 2015, 11:00
MR,
I would very, VERY much want anything you come up with.
BPF spent a lot of time and spent a huge tonnage of ordinance on these islands.
Currently, in May, 1945 they are sinking a bunch of ships and suicide boats the Japanese transferred to Ishigaki to attack both British and US ships around Okinawa.
Those little boats are a bugger to shoot from an aircraft flying above stall speeds....:a1310: especially when I have them moving across the water.
Lee

Been playing around with it. I'm not sure you would want anything I might come up with. It would probably be more resource intensive than what you need and would take way longer than you want to wait. I was able to dope out the approximate location of the three airfields on Miyako Shima and I assume the harbor facilities would be located where present day harbor facilities are located? If all you want are some scenery objects added, that is very easily accomplished in MB. As was suggested, Wolfi's Asian houses work superbly. I used them extensively in my Marianas, Haha Jima and DEI scenery. BTW, what mesh and masks are you using, Rhumbas or stock? You can also toss in a couple of infrastructure runways to stand in for the Kamikaze Airfields.

It's a very interesting project, BTW. The allies committed a heck of a lot of resources to it.

MR

BTW: Miyako Shima looks like it would be a very pleasant place to visit and/or live.

Devildog73
November 8th, 2015, 13:09
MaskRider,

I noticed that I did not answer your mesh question...I am using stock mesh.

I tried Rhumba's mesh but it caused more problems for the BPF than it solved.

Ddog