PDA

View Full Version : Consolidated PBY-5 Catalina for CFS2

Shessi
October 11th, 2015, 02:43
Just uploading the CFS2 version of the Consolidated PBY-5 Catalina I had done for Fs9, based on Alpahsim's PBY.

I've got to admit I had forgotten to upload the CFS2 version of the PBY, realised I had to a few things still to do, dp, DAP gauge etc, now done.

The usual things, multi-LOD, no CTDs, VC controls etc, and with new crew, opening and swivelling rear guns (strange why did Alphasim never do that?), new tex, DP, and with water spray effect.

Cheers

Shessi

Rami
October 11th, 2015, 03:07
Mark,

This is bloody fantastic! Many thanks...I guess I'll have to revisit the RAAF campaign this week and throw this new beauty into the mix to replace the VN model. :very_drunk:

I think Greg (Shadow Wolf 07) uses this bird in several of his campaigns as well...:ernaehrung004:

Shessi
October 11th, 2015, 03:08
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/905214445607111955.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: The CFS2 version of the remake of Alpahsim's PBY-5 Catalina.

Shessi

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Consolidated Catalina PBY-5 CFS2.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=20282&catid=52)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Shessi
October 11th, 2015, 04:39
Andrew,

Well after various people were talking about the Alpahsim PBY and having a few probs, I thought how stupid of me to forget to look after the ol' boys....dohh!

It's because I get side-tracked by a new 'shiny thing', and get engrossed in that....I know you do the same thing! Ha!

Cheers

Shessi

Rami
October 11th, 2015, 04:56
It's because I get side-tracked by a new 'shiny thing', and get engrossed in that....I know you do the same thing! Ha!

Cheers

Shessi

Mark,

Guilty as charged! :costumed-smiley-034

dvslats
October 11th, 2015, 09:06
Nice one Shessi. Thanks!

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5793/20941140846_5707ac4a05_b.jpg

UncleTgt
October 11th, 2015, 09:28
Thank you!

:ernaehrung004::medals:

I'm sure this one will get plenty of use ...

Devildog73
October 11th, 2015, 13:22
Thank you!

:ernaehrung004::medals:

I'm sure this one will get plenty of use ...

I'm fairly certain it is going into a couple of BPF missions....:wavey:

dasuto247
October 11th, 2015, 13:56
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/905214445607111955.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: The CFS2 version of the remake of Alpahsim's PBY-5 Catalina.

Shessi

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Consolidated Catalina PBY-5 CFS2.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=20282&catid=52)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Very nice Shessi. I especially love the new crew (looks more like a patrol plane crew, esp the pilots). I have two questions though. How would i make it where the "fire cannon" button fires the blister guns and the "fire guns" fires the forward guns? Personal preference for combat missions, saves ammo. Second, any idea of a throttle column that would work with this plane? I am missing something or does not appear to be one. Thanks for the great plane. Look forward to seeing the skins our "skinners" come up with for her.

Captain Kurt
October 11th, 2015, 18:00
A badly needed update. Awesome!

kelticheart
October 13th, 2015, 00:20
Simply fabulous!
Thank you so much!
:applause: :applause: :applause:

I guess the great repaints made by Mick for the FS9 version will dress this baby fine, will they? Of course after changing the extended bmp format to correct the FS9 reflective mode, incompatible with CFS2.

Cheers!
KH:ernaehrung004:

msfossey
October 13th, 2015, 09:32
Just wanted to say thank you Shessi.

msfossey

Shessi
October 13th, 2015, 10:42
Glad you like it, as always wouldn't be here without good ol' Alphasim!

I'm also doing the PBY-5A, but, and this is due to my not learning Gmax, it will not successfully compile to Fs9/CFS2, as it's a huge amount of polys. It's a complete b*gger it will compile but not show as too many polys, I can't seem to lose enough polys to get it to work...grrrrrr!! I don't want to lose all the detail I put into the PBY-5........

Cheers

Shessi

Rami
October 13th, 2015, 14:07
Mark,

I hope you don't mind, but I corrected the MISC_DATA section and the panel.cfg when I put your bird into the RAAF campaign. Here are the tweaked files in case anyone doesn't want to download the entire campaign pack.

kelticheart
October 15th, 2015, 00:24
.....I'm also doing the PBY-5A, but, and this is due to my not learning Gmax, it will not successfully compile to Fs9/CFS2, as it's a huge amount of polys. ......

Hi Shessi,

fool of me, I could not expect a good framerate performance with all of the incredible details poured into the PBY5 model, but I did. Just a look at the P&W Twin Wasp radials detail is a good indication of the computing power necessary to bring this baby alive. With a senior pc like mine, she does not move beyond 15 f.p.s.

Fortunately, real-life Catalinas did not fly missions in huge numbers, mostly on a single plane ASW and ocean patrol basis. I hope that a Black Cat mission with just a ship to hit, or an Atlantic ASW mission with just one U-boat to target, will not be impossible to fly for me. Providing they aren't both armed with flak!! Flak bursts usually put my pc to sleep.....:sour:

If you are complaining about the huge amount of polys of the 5-A amphibian version sports, I guess she'll never fly in my rig, unless I decide to update and upgrade it.

Thank you very much for your efforts, anyway. :applause:

These PBY's are all indeed CFS2 collector's items.:tranquillity:

Cheers!
KH :ernaehrung004:

Shessi
October 15th, 2015, 03:11
Rami,

No prob, more the merrier!

Kelti,

That's odd, your rig must be ancient Roman! ha! C'mon you deserve an upgrade, it's about time, this is a passion of yours. TBH a second hand higher spec XP system would do, as you know CFS2 doesn't need a lot to run, and wouldn't cost a lot....go on it'll soon be Natale. ;)

I made the PBY with a few multi-LODs and I'm getting 58fps, which yes, drops to about 20fps with 8 showing, but as you say even the Black Cats would only go in with a few PBY's. I have a low poly PBY that I may upload as an AI alternative.

The PBY was at the upper limit of the poly count, but the landing gear of the 5A has just pushed it over that limit....grrrr!

I'm still playing with it, so fingers crossed........

Cheers

Shessi

Shadow Wolf 07
October 15th, 2015, 07:59
If you want some missions KH, I'm going to update my "Desperate Battles" campaign soon - there's a Catalina scout mission in that which won't require me to wait for Wolfi's Avenger to come on line. I can redo that one at any time. Also, I have an old fictional mission posted here at SOH called "Black Cat Strike" which has the player taking off from the waters near Henderson, conduct a night raid on shipping and shore installations at Rabaul and return. I can update that at any time now - with Shessi's PBY-5 and newer ships and not wait for a possibly new 5A. Fuel managemnt - speed, mixture and prop pitch - is key to success in both.

Thank you very much Shessi! :applause:

kelticheart
October 15th, 2015, 23:37
If you want some missions KH, I'm going to update my "Desperate Battles" campaign soon - there's a Catalina scout mission in that which won't require me to wait for Wolfi's Avenger to come on line. I can redo that one at any time. Also, I have an old fictional mission posted here at SOH called "Black Cat Strike" which has the player taking off from the waters near Henderson, conduct a night raid on shipping and shore installations at Rabaul and return. I can update that at any time now - with Shessi's PBY-5 and newer ships and not wait for a possibly new 5A. Fuel managemnt - speed, mixture and prop pitch - is key to success in both...........

In other words.....being a real pilot and not just a "shoot-n-kill" type of game that gets everybody older than 16 year-old bored after only a few sessions! :encouragement:

This is what I love about a flight simulator: it simulates reality. Therefore, one must learn to fly and hone the flying skills to a sharp edge before even start talking about hitting something!!!! Just like real life.

Hi Shadow Wolf! :wavey: Thank you, I think I downloaded your "Black Cat Strike" when it was first posted and I have a nice "Black Cat" dress for this kite. Just a little hand editing to place this PBY5 on stage and I'll be all set!

BTW, TO EVERYBODY:

Mick's FS9 beautiful repaints for Shessi's FS2004 revamp of Alpha PBY5 flying boat do fit the CFS2 conversion very nicely. They are here, in the FS2004 Military Skins - WWII repaint section and they include a "Black Cat" livery.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=195&sort=d&pp=20

Scroll down page1 and there are quite a few of them from the same artist.

Open the texture files with DXTBmp utility and save them in "16 bit 565" format to get rid of the FS9 reflective textures, incompatible with CFS2. Done!

Cheers!

Oglivie
October 17th, 2015, 13:20
Thank You, Shessi! I admire these versions of the PBY you did, and your time and your talent to make them.

My time is short to be able to reply to everyone in the stickeys, so I thank everyone for their work and talent!

Best Regards

Shessi
October 17th, 2015, 13:37
Hi O,
Appreciate your comments and glad you like them.

Alphasim did a very good job. I'm really just 'putting the icing on the cake', and maybe getting them a little closer to where they should be.......:wiggle:

Cheers

Shessi

kelticheart
October 21st, 2015, 03:26
Hi O,
Appreciate your comments and glad you like them.

Alphasim did a very good job. I'm really just 'putting the icing on the cake', and maybe getting them a little closer to where they should be.......:wiggle:

Cheers

Shessi

Hi Shessi,

I just came up with alternative prop discs for this "Cat": may I upload them?

Cheers!

Shessi
October 21st, 2015, 07:00
Of course, please fill yer boots!

Cheers

Shessi

p.s You know these sim bits are 'ours' not mine, no need to ask.......;)

kelticheart
October 30th, 2015, 03:10
Hi Shessi,

I just uploaded the props and threw in exhaust smoke effects for good measure.

I hope ya'll like them! :very_drunk:

Cheers!

Shessi
October 30th, 2015, 05:52
Hi KH,
To be really honest, yes and no, I really have liked your alternative prop discs, and use them regularly.

And, no direct criticism to yourself, but I've never liked anyone's exhaust smoke mod, it's just not reality, sorry, but when have you seen these type of smoke trails coming from an ac, (except maybe a modern Boeing 707 or CH53 with jet engines et al). If you had that happening either you've been damaged, the mixture is very wrong or there's a major problem and I'm landing quickly! LOL ;).

As said before fill yer boots, it's our beastie, and I'm sure people will enjoy the pack.

Cheers

Shessi

kelticheart
November 2nd, 2015, 00:31
Hi KH,
To be really honest, yes and no, I really have liked your alternative prop discs, and use them regularly.

And, no direct criticism to yourself, but I've never liked anyone's exhaust smoke mod, it's just not reality, sorry, but when have you seen these type of smoke trails coming from an ac, (except maybe a modern Boeing 707 or CH53 with jet engines et al). If you had that happening either you've been damaged, the mixture is very wrong or there's a major problem and I'm landing quickly! LOL ;).

As said before fill yer boots, it's our beastie, and I'm sure people will enjoy the pack.

Cheers

Shessi

Hi Shessi,

ever since I started looking for something to contribute to CFS2 addons within my skills, to reciprocate somewhat all of the wonderful freebies I was downloading, I got involved with the exhaust smoke yes/no discussion. Eons ago.

Some people had your very same feelings about them, some of them held that exhaust smoke from hi-power, supercharged WWII-era piston engines could be seen.

I started watching carefully all of the filmed material I could put my hands on. What convinced me to proceed in adding smoke exhaust effects, and upload them, was primarily the 1969 motion picture "The Battle of Britain". I consider it the all-times best WWII aviation movie ever made, because it was shot entirely with real warbirds and its producers made a special effort to respect history, instead of applying the usual Hollywood fiction.

I played it in slow motion several times during dogfight scenes and I paused it anytime I thought I saw something interesting. I still own the VHS tape and I bought the DVD as soon as it became available here. In all good faith, I think did a thorough job searching for clues.

Well, I swear thin exhaust smoke trailers can be seen in the "The Battle of Britain", which also inspired me a lot for my first prop discs.

When I first had the chance to see an airshow with real warbirds flying, I watched again and took pictures that I studied later on, to confirm or deny my earlier impressions. I could see the exhaust smoke from an AT-6 Texan/Harvard and a T-28 Trojan, but I couldn't tell anything coming out of the Merlin engine of a P-51D. Last year I saw the only airworthy, still in existence Fiat G-59 in action, equipped again with a Packard-Merlin engine. During her takeoff I saw a thin smoke trailer coming out of her exhaust stubs. It was a cold, cloudy day during 2014 ghastly spring here, could it be that the low temperature caused it? Who knows.
With all of the above said, just like anything else here, one can use the dp effect entries or not, depending on one's tastes. It's perfectly ok. :wavey:

Thanks for your comments about the prop discs!

Cheers!