PDA

View Full Version : How can I do this?

rich12545
October 10th, 2015, 14:27
I fly in the VC and use shift-2 to bring up the GPS. During the flight I use the S and A functions and every time I need to bring up the GPS again with shift-2. So I'm wondering if there's anything simple I can do to make it sticky. Not a big thing but it is mildly annoying. Any help would be appreciated.

Lane Street
October 10th, 2015, 15:01
This can be done with a very easy panel.cfg edit.

This is from the default C172...

[Window02]
size_mm=456,378
window_size=0.5
position=8
BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
VISIBLE=0
ident=GPS_PANEL
zorder=4
type=special

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0

By adding the line in bold the GPS will stay visible until you close the Window.

BTW, if you change VISIBLE=0 to VISIBLE=1 the GPS will be open when you load the plane.

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Lane

rich12545
October 10th, 2015, 15:16
Yes, that worked. Thanks very much.

ejoiner
October 10th, 2015, 17:48
This can be done with a very easy panel.cfg edit.

This is from the default C172...

[Window02]
size_mm=456,378
window_size=0.5
position=8
BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
VISIBLE=0
ident=GPS_PANEL
zorder=4
type=special

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0

By adding the line in bold the GPS will stay visible until you close the Window.

BTW, if you change VISIBLE=0 to VISIBLE=1 the GPS will be open when you load the plane.

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Lane

Been flying FSX for literally years and just learned this. Damn. Always learning something new!!!! Thanks!!!

Lane Street
October 10th, 2015, 20:05
Yes, that worked. Thanks very much.

You're welcome, always happy to help my friends out on the Palouse (and elsewhere). Go Cougs!

Stickshaker
October 10th, 2015, 23:42
Perhaps another possibility is to designate a button on your joystick for the GPS. Then you can turn it on and off very easily. But maybe you have reasons for not wanting to do this.

Lane Street
October 11th, 2015, 10:26
Perhaps another possibility is to designate a button on your joystick for the GPS. Then you can turn it on and off very easily. But maybe you have reasons for not wanting to do this.

You can do this except that the GPS is not in the same Window in every plane, in some it is Shift+3, in others Shift+4, etc.

If you always fly the same plane it is not a problem.

Otherwise you would have to edit the panel.cfg for every plane you fly so the GPS is always in the same [Windownn] section.

cheers,
Lane

Stickshaker
October 11th, 2015, 12:06
Good point, Lane. I had not realized that.