PDA

View Full Version : Learn to fly all over again

limjack
October 7th, 2015, 10:33
Is it just me or do others share my pain on this? I have moments where I step away from flight sim for a period of time. During this period my brain deletes all information on how to cold start and fly my aircraft. I then have to go back to the manual or YouTube for a quick or sometimes not so quick refresher course. Frustrating that my mind will not hold this information. So much to remember to this complicated little program. Here are a few pics of me doing touch and goes this morning at KTVL Lake Tahoe after I learned how to start my aircraft again.

Jim

henrystreet
October 7th, 2015, 12:04
Is it just me or do others share my pain on this? I have moments where I step away from flight sim for a period of time. During this period my brain deletes all information on how to cold start and fly my aircraft. I then have to go back to the manual or YouTube for a quick or sometimes not so quick refresher course. Frustrating that my mind will not hold this information. So much to remember to this complicated little program. Here are a few pick up me doing touch and goes this morning at KTVL Lake Tahoe after I learned how to start my aircraft again.

Jim

Yes, most definitely happens to me as well. I will take a month or so off to do scenery, I have to get all the checklists back out and go thru a session of cockpit re-familiarization.

StormILM
October 7th, 2015, 12:14
Practice Practice Practice!!! I stay pretty well in it day by day but there are certain types of flying that I may not do as much as others and always see my deficiency glaring at me when I do get back to those types of flying. The discipline required in flying is more or less like anything else, step away from it even for a short time, there are skills which are perishable & need to be re-sharpened. Not to mention, there are days when I can't tell I have over 10,000 plus hours logged between FS9/FSX & I fly like crap! lol

Hang in there, it'll all come back to you.

limjack
October 7th, 2015, 13:28
LOL Storm, I fly like crap! I love our hobby and love that we have to work at it. Keeps me challenged indeed.

Good to know I have company Henry!

Time to get back in the 172 for some more practice practice practice and keep the local aircraft parts store happy.

Jim

Navy Chief
October 7th, 2015, 14:53
I haven't been actually flight simming in so long, I will have to reconfigure all my flight controls. Oh, I try to stay on top of the latest happenings, etc...., but have been so engrossed with the Willys jeep I bought a couple months ago, that everything else has taken a back seat (no pun intended!) . I am still working on the jeep (never ends, I guess), but hope to get most things I need done soon.

As as for forgetting things as one gets older, I am getting used to that! There's a lot I don't WANT to remember! :biggrin-new: NC

limjack
October 7th, 2015, 16:48
This made me smile. My poor Father in law has dementia (short term memory shot so I am his short term memory) and prostrate cancer. He understands not being able to remember short term but the cancer thing never sticks. So every time we go to the hospital and do the fun check up he has to go through all the uncomfortable test. He always comes out saying.....Boy! I don't want to go through that again. well of course in a day or so that memory gets completely deleted. He is doing well all things considered. In fact his Psa numbers are great and got to skip the last shot.

[As as for forgetting things as one gets older, I am getting used to that! There's a lot I don't WANT to remember! :biggrin-new: NC[/QUOTE

glh
October 7th, 2015, 16:51
Is it just me or do others share my pain on this? I have moments where I step away from flight sim for a period of time. During this period my brain deletes all information on how to cold start and fly my aircraft. I then have to go back to the manual or YouTube for a quick or sometimes not so quick refresher course. Frustrating that my mind will not hold this information. So much to remember to this complicated little program. Here are a few pics of me doing touch and goes this morning at KTVL Lake Tahoe after I learned how to start my aircraft again.

Jim

After you get the engine(s) started and are ready to go, just save the flight and make it your default flight. That way, when you start up the sim, you are immediately ready to go.

Now, if you REALLY want to mess with all that start-up stuff, I think you're stuck.

srgalahad
October 7th, 2015, 18:42
I vaguely remember that real-world pilots use (or are encouraged to use) checklists for every flight. Something about the failure to be thorough possibly leading to permanent loss of memory and other functions :dizzy:.

Dev One
October 7th, 2015, 23:11
Apart from doing the external walk around check looking for snags in the fabric & other broken things, one must learn the mnemonic for the particular aircraft, e.g. The Tiger Moth is:
TTMFFOHH,
Thats Trim, Throttle friction nut, Mixture Rich, Fuel turned on & sufficient for flight, Slats Free, Oil press normal, Harness fastened & Hatches closed.
And no I did not remember it, I had to refresh my memory by looking in the Pilots Notes ( I know cheating, but I did remember there was one!!!)
Keith

roger-wilco-66
October 8th, 2015, 01:18
I made cue cards for the aircraft that I fly most.
I note the most relevant V numbers (velocities), power settings (climb, cruise), vertical speeds (climb / descent).
I also note key combinations particular to the aircraft, or cold start sequences, like mentioned.

Another possibility would be to use the FSX/P3D built in reference screen, where things like that can easily be noted and are quick to fetch during flight. Unfortunately most developers don't make use of that. But the cue cards are better because you don't have to pause the flight to have a look at them.

Cheers,
Mark

stansdds
October 8th, 2015, 02:14
I place on my desk a printed copy of the pilot's operating handbook and/or checklist for whatever aircraft I'm flying. This handbook may be one that I found on the internet, included with a purchased or downloaded aircraft, or one that hobbled together on my own.