PDA

View Full Version : Water everywhere!

jschall
September 25th, 2015, 11:51
I hope somebody here can help me solve this scenery problem. Patches of water show up here and there, eventually getting replaced by the correct texture. I only noticed this after installing Orbx Open Landclass North America, but I'm not sure if it's the culprit.

The attached screenshot is in the Toronto region, but it happens everywhere I fly - in North America, at least.

Steam Edition, DX10 enabled.

RobM
September 25th, 2015, 15:25
The same happened to me when I first installed OpenLC Can+Ak, and there's an easy fix. Go out of FSX and into Global Central, choose another Group and let it load (the thread at Orbx recommended choosing North America, but I think you could choose Oceania or Europe just as well). After it loads, then choose the Global group to load again.

I've lost the location of the thread at Orbx forums, but apparently this forces the OpenLC textures into FSX. In any case it worked for me.

Hope that helps - Rob

jschall
September 25th, 2015, 15:57
@RobM

Thank you for the reply, but:

"Go out of FSX and into Global Central, choose another Group and let it load (the thread at Orbx recommended choosing North America,"

What do you mean, "Global Central"?

I only see "FTX Central". What are you referring to?

heywooood
September 25th, 2015, 19:40
When I had this situation it had to do with the order of scenery in the FSX scenery hierarchy...that area in FSX GUI where you can change the priority of individual scenery folders.
Not only was I seeing large square areas of water..but in some areas I would get large square areas of wrong season terrain..(snow covered and whatnot)

somehow it was out of synch with the FTX Global setting.

in my case - I unchecked all FTX scenery in the FSX GUI - then uninstalled / deleted it.
Then I uninstalled / deleted FTX Global

Then reinstalled FTX Global and reinstalled my scenery one item at a time, starting with the areas like PNW, NCA, PFJ and so on...setting the priority in FSX each time and restarting to make sure we had it working.
Then the airports and freeware - same way as above
Then FTX Trees, Night Lighting and AI for North America...(thats what I have from them anyways..)

and finally the water and texture anomalies were gone.

Stickshaker
September 26th, 2015, 01:46
What happens if you use hybrid mode? Not optimal, but it may help.

jschall
September 26th, 2015, 03:12
@Stickshaker:

What is "hybrid mode"?

Sorry for my ignorance.

Roger
September 26th, 2015, 03:40
I would ask here (don't forget to add your order number to your sig) http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/187-ftx-global-openlc-support/

I can't imagine what you have in terms of FTX Central if open lc is all you have of ORBX product.

RobM
September 26th, 2015, 04:10
@RobM

Thank you for the reply, but:

"Go out of FSX and into Global Central, choose another Group and let it load (the thread at Orbx recommended choosing North America,"

What do you mean, "Global Central"?

I only see "FTX Central". What are you referring to?

Sorry , I was typing on the run; you are correct, I meant "FTX Central". Thanks - Rob

Stickshaker
September 26th, 2015, 04:13
@Stickshaker:

What is "hybrid mode"?

Sorry for my ignorance.

It is a mode for if you want to fly both inside and outside FTX regions in one and the same flight. It is selectable in FTX Central.

ak416
September 26th, 2015, 05:58
Do you own FTX Global Base Pack and have it installed?

jschall
September 26th, 2015, 06:09
@Roger thanks for the link to the ORBX Forum.

It seems a lot of Open Land Class users have the problem, but no definite analysis or fix yet.

Part of the reason for my ignorance is that the ORBX User Guide still refers to the old FTX Central, in which you could quickly revert to FSX default scenery.

jschall
September 26th, 2015, 08:21
@ak416 - I have FTX Global Base and Vector installed.

When I disable ALL ORBX!OPENLC areas in the scenery settings, the erroneous tiles disappear.

I'm still hoping to find a solution on the ORBX forum.

paiken
September 26th, 2015, 09:51
What you're seeing is the result of global climate change. ORBX have modeled the rising ocean levels and the effects it will have on the landscape.

But seriously, it's what the others have said earlier in the thread.

RobM
September 26th, 2015, 11:58
@ak416 - I have FTX Global Base and Vector installed.

When I disable ALL ORBX!OPENLC areas in the scenery settings, the erroneous tiles disappear.

I'm still hoping to find a solution on the ORBX forum.

I'm assuming you've already installed the latest Orbx Llibraries and disabled UTX Canada and UTX Alaska
if you have those. And of course you have to choose the FTX Group in FTX Central 2 (with or without Hybrid Mode)
when flying in an OpenLC area.

Do you have any other Orbx sceneries? The OpenLC files are supposed to be placed below other Orbx sceneries
in the Scenery Library. Note there is a bit of procedure to follow to make sure they stay underneath, otherwise
the OpenLC files will go back above other Orbx sceneries each time you open the Scenery Library.

As mentioned, I was having the identical problem you were when I first installed and visited the OpenLC NA area
in FSX, and I had done all the above. But as mentioned, what fixed it for me was simply going out of FSX, into
FTX Central 2, choosing North America group, applying that, and then re-choosing and applying the FTX Global
group. The OpenLC NA then appeared just fine.

But since I routinely fly in other Orbx regions (I have all the Orbx regions and just about all the Orbx airports) I
guess my OpenLC problem would have fixed itself in due course.

If you're still having the scenery tile mish-mash even after doing the above, all I can think of is some other non-Orbx
scenery you have is running heavy interference. Do you have any sceneries or scenery items (like Traffic 360 or
something like that) in your Scenery Library sitting above your Orbx sceneries?

I was also trying to remember if there were any boxes in FTX Central 2 or the Scenery Library that ticking or unticking
would have this effect on OpenLC, but I can't think of any.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help - Rob

jschall
September 26th, 2015, 13:15
@RobM: Thanks for taking the time to help me.

I have no idea what is meant by "Group" in the context of ORBX and FTX Central 2. That's because the User Guide is written around FTX Central, with which we used to be able to disable various regions back to default FSX scenery. So when you say " And of course you have to choose the FTX Group in FTX Central 2 (with or without Hybrid Mode) when flying in an OpenLC area" and "choosing North America group, applying that, and then re-choosing and applying the FTX Global group" - I'm lost.

In answer to your question, No, I don't have UTX any more, and I always update the ORBX Libraries. And I have lots of other sceneries loaded above FTX and ORBX!OPENLC. I disabled all of them, with no effect on the loopy tiles, before finally disabling all ORBX!OPENLC entries. That's what fixed my problem, but I hope there's a better way. Something to do with the mysterious "Groups", perhaps?

RobM
September 26th, 2015, 16:26
@RobM: Thanks for taking the time to help me.

I have no idea what is meant by "Group" in the context of ORBX and FTX Central 2. That's because the User Guide is written around FTX Central, with which we used to be able to disable various regions back to default FSX scenery. So when you say " And of course you have to choose the FTX Group in FTX Central 2 (with or without Hybrid Mode) when flying in an OpenLC area" and "choosing North America group, applying that, and then re-choosing and applying the FTX Global group" - I'm lost.

In answer to your question, No, I don't have UTX any more, and I always update the ORBX Libraries. And I have lots of other sceneries loaded above FTX and ORBX!OPENLC. I disabled all of them, with no effect on the loopy tiles, before finally disabling all ORBX!OPENLC entries. That's what fixed my problem, but I hope there's a better way. Something to do with the mysterious "Groups", perhaps?

Oh! I'm just using the terminology that's used in FTX Central 2; so now I'm going to ask, have you actually gone yet into FTX Central 2 and activated FTX Global (which includes OpenLC NA)? In other words, when you open FTX Central 2 (click on the desktop icon), does the name "FTX Global", which should appear on the left hand side when you open FTX Central 2, have the word "active" beside it? If not or if you don't know what I'm talking about, the solution may be very straightforward.

Let me know, and not a problem at all to help.

Thanks - Rob

strykerpsg
September 26th, 2015, 16:59
jsscahll,

As someone who's endured many hours of tweaking, deleting and re-installing, as mentioned before, the crew at Fullterrrain.com are magnificent, as are the chaps here. But I recently had a very similar event, though mine were the plateaus on many airports and trees in the water. It came down to, I believe, installing too much at the same time and not giving FSX a chance to integrate all successfully. I went through and reinstalled Global base and Global Vector and it seemed to fix the tree's in the water.

Here's some stuff that really helped me: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/79004-resolving-rapid-ground-texture-morphing/

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/uploads/profile/photo-thumb-375.jpg?_r=0 (http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/user/375-holger-sandmann/)
Moderators
http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/public/style_extra/team_icons/staff.png
8,064 posts

LocationSidney, BC, just east of CYYJ

Posted <abbr title="2014-05-20T21:12:28+00:00" class="published" itemprop="commentTime">20 May 2014 - 09:12 PM</abbr>
<!--cached-Tue, 22 Sep 2015 09:06:04 +0000-->Hi all,

if the FSX or P3D terrain.cfg file becomes corrupted you may encounter strange textures across parts of the landscape that typically change rapidly when approaching. For example, see screenshots here: http://www.orbxsyste...tures/?p=689048 (http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/75071-nzni-strange-ground-textures/?p=689048)

The issue stems from FSX/P3D not being able to find specific landclass textures and thus randomly displaying others; it doesn't mean that the textures are actually missing just that the terrain.cfg reference to their location is wrong or missing. The easiest fix -- rather than hunting for specific incorrect or missing entries -- is to "refresh" the terrain.cfg file. To do so you can use a backup of the original FSX/P3D version that we include in the \ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\Work folder.

1. Navigate to your main FSX/P3D folder, locate your terrain.cfg file, and make a safety backup copy

2. Copy the backup of the original terrain.cfg file and paste it into your main FSX/P3D folder, clicking on yes when asked to overwrite

3. Start and cycle FTX Central at least once between options (it doesn't matter which) and press Apply to automatically re-insert all required FTX custom terrain.cfg entries

4. Start FSX and check whether the issue has disappeared. If not please post in our respective support forums and let us know where the issue occurs and what steps you've taken thus far

5. If the issue has been resolved, and you own other add-ons that require custom entries, like the Ultimate Terrain X series or FSAddon products (Vancouver+, Tongass Fjords X), you'll need to restore those entries too. For Ultimate Terrain all you need to do is to start each product's Setup.exe tools once (Windows Start Menu > All Programs > Flight One Software > Ultimate ... > Setup Tool). For other add-ons you need to use their respective repair options, e.g. Windows Start Menu > All Programs > FSAddon > Tongass Fjords FSX > Repair.

Cheers, Holger

Tree's in the water: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/101553-trees-in-water/

It took the better part of 3 days of experimenting but the final outcome was fantastic immersion, in my opinion. Now, if I could resolve the floating AI...still working that one.

jschall
September 27th, 2015, 04:25
Oh! I'm just using the terminology that's used in FTX Central 2

Yes, my problem is with the terminology, which is nowhere defined.

so now I'm going to ask, have you actually gone yet into FTX Central 2 and activated FTX Global (which includes OpenLC NA)? In other words, when you open FTX Central 2 (click on the desktop icon), does the name "FTX Global", which should appear on the left hand side when you open FTX Central 2, have the word "active" beside it?

There are two main entries I can see in FTX Central 2 - FTX Global and North America.

I can select either, and make it "active" by pressing the "Apply Group" button. FTX Global includes another terminology, "Layers", with Base Pack, openLC NA Alaska/Canada, and Vector listed.

But I can't seem to make both North America and Global active at the same time.

So, what should I do to get rid of the watery tiles?

ak416
September 27th, 2015, 05:23

There are two main entries I can see in FTX Central 2 - FTX Global and North America.

I can select either, and make it "active" by pressing the "Apply Group" button. FTX Global includes another terminology, "Layers", with Base Pack, openLC NA Alaska/Canada, and Vector listed.

You should follow strykerpsg's post if the issue remains. I had the same problem with FSAddon Tongass Fjords and Orbx and that solution worked great for me.

Also, I suggest reading through the manuals for FTX Gobal and OpenLC as it seems you are quite unfamiliar with those two products in general. They explain what FTX Central is, what it does, how to use it, how not to use it, etc.

jschall
September 27th, 2015, 06:00
I suggest reading through the manuals for FTX Gobal and OpenLC as it seems you are quite unfamiliar with those two products in general. They explain what FTX Central is, what it does, how to use it, how not to use it, etc.

I've read all the manuals. They are written for the old version of FTX Central.

RobM
September 27th, 2015, 08:20

Almost there. Housekeeping first. You previously said that you had unticked the OpenLC and Orbyx entries in the FSX Scenery Library. If you left them unticked, please go back into the FSX Scenery Library and re-tick them.

Second, you said you always kept the Orbx Library up to date, but not quite what I asked. Any time you add a new Orbx scenery, you should always download and install the latest Orbx Library, even if you already have that Orbx Library installed in your system. I think it's something to do with overwriting possible out of date entries introduced by the new scenery. Anyway, I always do it as a matter of course, and I recommend doing it. So if you didn't download and install the latest Orbx Libraries after you installed OpenLC NA (even if you already had the latest Orbx Library on your system), you should do so now.

OK, back to FTX Central 2. In answer to your question, you can only choose one of the "Groups", FTX Global or North America at any one time. "North America" does not refer to the entire continent. It just refers to the special high definition scenery areas Orbx offers in North America. So far they're all on the western side of North America. You can see which of these special high definition scenery areas you have by choosing North America in FTX Central 2 and them scrolling down.

So if you want to fly in one of these special areas and see all the scenery eye candy you've paid for, you should choose and activate "North America", everywhere else in the world outside these special high def scenery areas, you should chose and activate "FTX Global".

If you don't want to be switching FTX Central 2 back and forth all the time whenever you fly in and out of these special high def scenery areas, Orbx does offer a "Hybrid Mode" option. Select and activate "FTX Global", and when you do, right beneath the "FTX Global" name on the right hand side, you will see a box titled "Hybrid Mode". Ticking that will load most of the hi def scenery eye candy when you fly into one of these special North America areas without you having to go back into FTX Central 2 to switch to North America.

So in answer to your question how to avoid the watery tiles (and assuming you've done the housekeeping bits above), select and activate "FTX Global" in FTX Central 2, and I would recommend ticking the "Hybrid Mode" box, so you don't have to switch between "FTX Global" and "North America" all the time.

Before leaving FTX Central 2, there's one last thing to do that may also help to avoid the mish-mash of scenery tiles.

In the FTX Scenery Library, OpenLC NA files should be below your other Orbx scenery files to make sure everything loads correctly. The OpenLC NA files when installed always install on top of your other Orbx sceneries, and if you simply try to move them down in the FSX Scenery Library, they'll always pop back up over your other Orbx sceneries whenever you open FSX.

So in order to fix the OpenLC NA files in place in the FSX Scenery Library, you need to use what's called an "FTX Insertion Tool" in FTX Central 2.

When your're in FTX Central, after activating FTX Global, in the lower left corner, you will see the word "settings" in white; click on that. In the screen that opens up, on the tabs that appear, you will see half way along a tab called "Tools; click on that. In the screen that appears, you will see an entry "Library Insertion Points"; click on that.

What now appears will be a list of all the sceneries in your scenery library. Scroll up or down until you see a little red "FTX". This is your special North America Orbx sceneries. Right above this in white lettering should be your OpenLC NA files. Put your mouse cursor over the red FTX, hold down the left mouse button and move the red FTX up so it's now over top of the OpenLC NA files. Take note of the order of the OpenLC NA files, and click the "apply changes" button.

Note this does not change any ordering in the actual FSX Scenery Library itself. You will still have to go back into the FSX Scenery Library and move the OpenLC NA files down under your Orbyx sceneries, keeping the OpenLC NA files in the same order as in the Library Insertion Points list, but they will now stay in place under the Orbx sceneries in your FSX Scenery Library.

And that's it. Sorry for the very long post, but hopefully all this will have have fixed the watery mish-mash tiles problem. If not, then you may have to start looking at the other solutions suggested above.

Thanks - Rob

jschall
September 27th, 2015, 08:46
@RobM thank you for the updated FTX Central 2 manual!

Just one minor correction - placing the red FTX entry just below my addon scenery entries and pressing the "Apply" did indeed move the OpenLC entries below the FTX entries, so I didn't have to move them in the FSX Scenery settings.

The good news is the watery/snowy/sandy tiles are gone!

ORBX adds a lot to FSX. Too bad they add a lot of frustration, too.

RobM
September 27th, 2015, 11:42
@RobM thank you for the updated FTX Central 2 manual!

Just one minor correction - placing the red FTX entry just below my addon scenery entries and pressing the "Apply" did indeed move the OpenLC entries below the FTX entries, so I didn't have to move them in the FSX Scenery settings.

The good news is the watery/snowy/sandy tiles are gone!

ORBX adds a lot to FSX. Too bad they add a lot of frustration, too.

Hurray! But as I think just a few flights will show, well worth the time and effort (personally, I'm very pleased with OpenLC NA).

Glad I could be of help - Rob

strykerpsg
September 27th, 2015, 17:08
@RobM, thank you for a very detailed explanation in getting jschall up and running. I too followed and pasted onto a virtual sticky note. Perhaps this might be stickied into the FAQs and troubleshooting section for future Orbx LC issues?

@jschall, glad to see you up and running. I agree the amount of immersion Orbx products brings to FSX is indeed fantastic but they can certainly be a bear when troubles arise.

@ickie, donation sent to support this great site. Thanks again for having a resource site that hosts many great painters, modders, tech savvy troubleshooters and just plain sim fan extraordinaire's.