PDA

View Full Version : MS update

Terry
September 23rd, 2015, 04:19
Watch out for update KB3086255. Along with Windows 8.1 it causes FS9 to demand you have administrative privilege to start the program. Even though I was signed on as administrator the program would not start. After removing this update it worked. This update changes the security system to where older programs will not work correctly.

SSI01
September 23rd, 2015, 04:33
This will happen with Windows 7 Home Premium edition, too.

Maarten -
September 23rd, 2015, 04:55
Watch out for update KB3086255. Along with Windows 8.1 it causes FS9 to demand you have administrative privilege to start the program. Even though I was signed on as administrator the program would not start. After removing this update it worked. This update changes the security system to where older programs will not work correctly.

Hi Terry,

Any idea where will I find update KB3086255?

Cheers,
Maarten

Terry
September 23rd, 2015, 05:24
Hi Terry,

Any idea where will I find update KB3086255?

Cheers,
Maarten

If you installed it you can uninstall from Control Panel/Programs and Features/View Installed Updates. At least that's how it's found in 8.1.

WarHorse47
September 23rd, 2015, 05:40
Wow. Thanks for the info, Terry.

I just tried to load FS9, and no joy until I uninstalled the update.

I cannot understand MS logic. Win8.1 is supposed to be able to run older programs, then they prohibit them with this update. There is no warning or anything, the program just did not load.

I wonder what other older programs it might impact.

CanadaKen
September 23rd, 2015, 06:16
I cannot understand MS logic.
I've been dealing with them and their producys since 1988 and it usually comes down to CONTROL & MONEY. :(

There are also 4 Updates for Win7 & 8 that allow MS to do the same spying Win10 does.

CK

Terry
September 23rd, 2015, 06:24
I've been dealing with them and their producys since 1988 and it usually comes down to CONTROL & MONEY. :(

There are also 4 Updates for Win7 & 8 that allow MS to do the same spying Win10 does.

CK

And the spy updates follow, I uninstalled them with no problem. But once you do uninstall them watch the new incoming as they will try to include them again. These were posted by the Kim Komando show website. https://www.komando.com/

KB3068708
KB3022345
KB3075249
KB3080149

IanP
September 23rd, 2015, 07:00
Even more critically for some people, the update also disables SecuROM that was so popular as copy protection a few years ago, rendering many pieces of software unusable once the update is installed.

Ian P.

WarHorse47
September 23rd, 2015, 08:00
Even more critically for some people, the update also disables SecuROM that was so popular as copy protection a few years ago, rendering many pieces of software unusable once the update is installed.

Ian P.Again, why would M$ want to do that even to their own software?

Here's the rub. I spent some time getting FS9 reloaded and functional on my Win8 machine, and I update my M$ software religiously. I would not even have a clue on this issue without this thread as M$ does a poor job of explaining why the update is "important" or its impact on older software.

Maarten -
September 23rd, 2015, 08:14
Hi Terry,

Thanks for your advise, which also works for Windows 7.

Cheers,
Maarten

spokes2112
September 24th, 2015, 08:10
I would not even have a clue on this issue without this thread as M$ does a poor job of explaining why the update is "important" or its impact on older software.

No kidding!

Thanks for the updated bad KB's - My quash list is up to a dozen now. Just to keep FS running smoothly.

But.... It seems that MS wants to get their paws on your system anyway they can. The other night I was flying along nicely until stutters started, looked at the blinky light and it was flashing away.. Something was seriously accessing the drives. I paused the flight and started resource monitor to see what was doing all the accessing.

MsMpSvc (MS anti-maleware service / MS security essentials) had started MRT.exe (Malicious Software Removal Tool) . Here's the kicker. In MS security essentials I turn off "real time" monitoring during FS sessions and I have it set to manual scanning (no schedules). In Windows update I have it set to "Check but let me choose...." . I checked the timestamp of MRT which showed it was the newest - I didn't download it yet! - And it is still in the update queue! It seems that these 2 system tools don't follow the settings that I provide! I'm now stopping the update service during FS sessions, cannot stop MsMSvc though, they start that one with such high credentials it is impossible to stop.

Looking into scheduled tasks ( or try to stop service during FS sessions ) now to see if there's something in there. My little Low-Mid powered PC cannot handle such nonsense while FSX is up.

C:\Windows\system32>Sc Stop Rant :banghead:

Edit - MRT is a fall back if MsMpSvc fails - Windows logs show no such failure although the time it happened was right around the time of a scheduled scan.... If it was enabled... MMMM ???

Terry
September 24th, 2015, 10:22
No kidding!

Thanks for the updated bad KB's - My quash list is up to a dozen now. Just to keep FS running smoothly.

But.... It seems that MS wants to get their paws on your system anyway they can. The other night I was flying along nicely until stutters started, looked at the blinky light and it was flashing away.. Something was seriously accessing the drives. I paused the flight and started resource monitor to see what was doing all the accessing.

MsMpSvc (MS anti-maleware service / MS security essentials) had started MRT.exe (Malicious Software Removal Tool) . Here's the kicker. In MS security essentials I turn off "real time" monitoring during FS sessions and I have it set to manual scanning (no schedules). In Windows update I have it set to "Check but let me choose...." . I checked the timestamp of MRT which showed it was the newest - I didn't download it yet! - And it is still in the update queue! It seems that these 2 system tools don't follow the settings that I provide! I'm now stopping the update service during FS sessions, cannot stop MsMSvc though, they start that one with such high credentials it is impossible to stop.

Looking into scheduled tasks ( or try to stop service during FS sessions ) now to see if there's something in there. My little Low-Mid powered PC cannot handle such nonsense while FSX is up.

C:\Windows\system32>Sc Stop Rant :banghead:

Edit - MRT is a fall back if MsMpSvc fails - Windows logs show no such failure although the time it happened was right around the time of a scheduled scan.... If it was enabled... MMMM ???

I only know about 5 bad ones, what are the other 7?

spokes2112
September 24th, 2015, 11:24
Terry,

This set which includes some of yours. These are application experience types that send data back to MS for WIN 10 improvements & offer one WIN 10 as a replacement OS.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/a-warning-about-ms-updates-for-windows-10_topic52577.html?KW=Windows+Update

Dangerousdave26
September 24th, 2015, 15:48
I have the update installed and FS9 does not ask for administrator privileges.

It runs the same as it always has.

The issue is you are not running FS9 with the proper permissions for your computer log on in the first place.

See my post here

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?52003-FS9-Crashes!-(Possible-compatibility-issues-in-Win7)&p=570809&viewfull=1#post570809

WarHorse47
September 24th, 2015, 17:35
I have the update installed and FS9 does not ask for administrator privileges.

It runs the same as it always has.

The issue is you are not running FS9 with the proper permissions for your computer log on in the first place.

See my post here

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?52003-FS9-Crashes!-(Possible-compatibility-issues-in-Win7)&p=570809&viewfull=1#post570809"Your results may vary..."

I have all the proper permissions for both FSX and FS9 in a specific folder (C:\Games\) giving me full permissions on all the contents and I run both FSX and FS9 "as Administrator".

After seeing Terry's post I tried to fire up FS9 and as I reported it did not load - nothing, no error messages, nothing. Only after I removed (and hid) the update was I able to run FS9.

You did not mention your OS, but I am running Win8.1. It seems that Win8 and 8.1 have some anomalies with regards to how it runs FS9 as I still have to "Alt-Enter" to avoid the black screen during aircraft selection and back in the sim to get full screen view.

Dangerousdave26
September 25th, 2015, 11:56
Opps I should have mentioned that

Windows 7 Ultimate :wavey:

This laptop is not powerful enough to run anything else.

Oddly enough it runs FSX really well with the sliders set to respectable settings.

I will not upgrade to Win 10 until I build a better system to run P3D.

patful
September 25th, 2015, 13:54
Opps I should have mentioned that

Windows 7 Ultimate :wavey:

Yep, I'm running Windows 7 Home and haven't have any problems starting FSX. I use this machine for banking, and never refuse any updates Microsoft deems Important or Critical.