PDA

View Full Version : "It's going to blow!!! ...It's going to blow!!! ..."

Blue Devil
January 31st, 2009, 11:35
As I am in the process of re-workin' the contact points and tail hooks (which were all screwed up) on the prime A/C, ...I have done about a thousand belly and water landings.

I only fly 3D cockpit and don't usually use the labels or message scroll (unless droppin' ord.)

For the tests, ...I had the scroll on and after belly landing noticed the message:

It's going to blow!!!
It's going to blow!!!
It's going to blow!!!

...before it blew up.

I know that this is a bug'a'boo to a lot of you, ...but my question is why?

Upon a successful landing, ...what happens next? ...ya exit the mission.

And, ...it requires that you egress a crashed, smoldering A/C before it goes up w/ you in it, ...yet another combat hazard.

This function also removes the dead-stick AI's from the mission, ...so the other AIs don't hunt'em, ...instead of their priority targets, ...or RTB.

My thoughts...

bearcat241
January 31st, 2009, 12:28
I just float it down and kill the engine, mags, master switch and mixture before the big slide. That usually solves the "blow warning". This is another example of the benefits of having mouseable gauges, switches and levers in a combat flight sim.

Ravenna
January 31st, 2009, 13:18
I've done that BC, but I still get the odd "she's going to blow!" message.

Cody Coyote
January 31st, 2009, 13:33
In my experience it seems that if the prop is spinning, even if everything is shut down, she blows. If the prop has stopped I've been able to belly-land without getting the message.

hellcat44
January 31st, 2009, 14:58
You gotta learn to skip BD.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u256/hellcat44/skip2.jpg

Good_2_Be
January 31st, 2009, 19:26
Another option to avoid sinking and exploding would be to add some float points, and hope you don't get the prop strike message....just a thought :kilroy:

Blue Devil
January 31st, 2009, 21:39
Yep, ...prop strike it is...

A spinning prop, ...even w/ everything off and dead, ...will illicit a "prop strike" message, ...followed be the "blow" message and action.

Quiet prop, ...all's quiet, ...w/ or w/o killin' the bird (though it's good practice, ...like poppin' the canopy)

Thanks crew.