PDA

View Full Version : The Chase....

Panther_99FS
September 16th, 2015, 19:01
Will sleeper Ryan Newman finish what he almost did last year?

stansdds
September 17th, 2015, 01:54
He could, simply because of this silly, elimination style "chase" in which a driver can win the championship by winning only the last race of the entire season.

Terry
September 17th, 2015, 03:31
This farce is as much about luck as skill, we can no longer with any certainty expect the best team to win the cup. It's purpose is to increase the bottom line for NASCAR, the problem with that is they are throwing the best teams and true race fans under the bus.

joe bob
September 17th, 2015, 05:37
Can the cut off for the chase being top 25 be far down the road?
That should fit the 10 car in nicely with the resulting ratings boost.

stansdds
September 18th, 2015, 00:30
Can the cut off for the chase being top 25 be far down the road?
That should fit the 10 car in nicely with the resulting ratings boost.

Bet if Go Daddy threatened to pull their money out of NASCAR you would it happen.

EasyEd
September 18th, 2015, 10:26
Hey All,

The old ways are not the best. They were proven tried and untrue.

Nobody wants to watch somebody win with the margins of RP long ago.

In addition NASCAR wants ratings - every sport does.

I think there are large numbers of sport fans who really just check into different sports at playoff and championship time. Who has the time to follow more than one or two sports all year?

There are not enough loyal NASCAR fans for NASCAR to compete in todays cost world using old rules - they must work to attract new and short term viewers. Playoff systems do that.

The world has fundamentally changed and we are never going back.

-Ed-

Panther_99FS
September 18th, 2015, 16:42
Hey All, The old ways are not the best. They were proven tried and untrue. Nobody wants to watch somebody win with the margins of RP long ago. In addition NASCAR wants ratings - every sport does. -Ed- You know....I think that it was the success of the #48 team that in part, drove NASCAR to create "The Chase"...

wombat666
September 19th, 2015, 00:54
And The Poison Dwarf's 'Double Points' in F1 were almost as stupid.
NASCAR could really dumb it down and run just one 'Championship' race per year, save all that expense and pesky races for a year, and the so called fans could only need to focus once.

NASCAR are just Nuckin Futs.
:biggrin-new:

stansdds
September 19th, 2015, 03:41
You know....I think that it was the success of the #48 team that in part, drove NASCAR to create "The Chase"...

After his third championship in a row, I started to refer to the Sprint Cup Series (or whatever it was called at the time) as "The Jimmie Johnson Show". I'm not bashing the 48 team so keep your knickers on, but the 48 team found a formula for success and the system at the time allowed that formula to work perfectly. My problem with the elimination style Chase is that you can have a team that just barely makes the Chase on points, squeaks by in each Chase race and perhaps win the last race to be crowned the champion. With this system, Wombat makes a good point. One race and crown whoever wins that race as this year's champion and be done with it. There must be a better way.

Panther_99FS
September 19th, 2015, 08:37
My problem with the elimination style Chase is that you can have a team that just barely makes the Chase on points, squeaks by in each Chase race and perhaps win the last race to be crowned the champion.

You mean Ryan Newman?