PDA

View Full Version : F4U-1A Corsair Mk.II released by Allen!

Allen
September 10th, 2015, 01:12
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/123114418534627009.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - British

Description: This rebuild of the stock F4U-1A converts it to a British Corsair Mk.II that has 8 inches clipped off of each wing. Come with most of the bells and whistles like animated parts and breaking parts. Model is Multi LOD use damage texture logics as well.

Comes with unmarked British F4U that would have been in the Pacific Theater during late 1944. Skin template is included in the textue folders for your painting pleasure. You will need a program that can read .PSD to use them.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit F4U-1A Corsair Mk.II.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=20167&catid=50)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Rami
September 10th, 2015, 01:21
Allen,

Outstanding job on this. I'm glad your effort has sparked renewed interest in this wonderful bird. :triumphant:

kelticheart
September 10th, 2015, 01:28
The "clipped-wings" Corsair!!! Wonderful addition!

Thank you, Allen!
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Will UncleTgt's FAA repaints for Dbolt's overhauled F4U1-A fit this bird?

Cheers!
KH :ernaehrung004:

UncleTgt
September 10th, 2015, 01:47
Stef,

You just need to rename bitmaps. Allen has included "how to" instructions in the zip.:running:

kelticheart
September 10th, 2015, 01:54
Stef,

You just need to rename bitmaps. Allen has included "how to" instructions in the zip.

Roger! Thank you! :encouragement:

Cheers!

kelticheart
September 10th, 2015, 23:56
Stef,

You just need to rename bitmaps. Allen has included "how to" instructions in the zip.

And there she is, resplendent in UncleTgt's F.A.A. Sqdn.1834 livery!

:applause: Thank you Allen and UncleTgt! :applause:

:applause:

Cheers!

P.S.: I forgot to add that I went in the airfile and took 16" off the total wingspan, to reflect the "clipped wings" change. I did not notice any change in performance or tendency to stall earlier than before. I did notice a slightly quicker roll rate, as it should be.

Allen
September 11th, 2015, 12:06
I forgot that. Also the clipping also change sink rate but ehh oh well. That is why all are free to mod as they see fit.

miamieagle
September 12th, 2015, 05:40
Very Nice!

Thank you:wavey:

hewman100
September 14th, 2015, 13:30
A true 'tour de force' Allen:encouragement:

kelticheart
September 15th, 2015, 01:49
I forgot that. Also the clipping also change sink rate but ehh oh well. That is why all are free to mod as they see fit.

Hi Allen,

I forgot a detail too. How many square feet less would result from reducing 18" of total wingspan?

The Main Wing record in any airfile requires both total wing area (in square feet) and total wingspan. I reduced the latter without altering the former.

That's why my Corsair MkII lift performance is not affected, the wing area is still the same! :stupid:

I am sorry but, although I understand well the difference between metric and English measures and I can calculate mentally linear conversions, calculating areas in square feet becomes a tad difficult for me! :confusion:

And where is the sink rate record? I could not find it in the Primary Aerodynamics record. Besides, how is it calculated?

Thank you!

Allen
September 15th, 2015, 10:18
I did my math right the new wing area should be 313 sq.ft and span 476 inchs. Mean aerodynamic chord is not changed. Sink rate isn't a record and the change only seemed to be see during landing. Changing the wing should have the same effect.

kelticheart
September 16th, 2015, 00:26
I did my math right the new wing area should be 313 sq.ft and span 476 inchs. Mean aerodynamic chord is not changed. Sink rate isn't a record and the change only seemed to be see during landing. Changing the wing should have the same effect.

Roger that, Allen! :encouragement:

Thank you!

Allen
September 18th, 2015, 10:41
Update .airfile to account for the clipped wing tips and new description added. Re-download for update.

Devildog73
September 18th, 2015, 12:13
Thanks Allen,

I'll give it a test or two in the BPF and see if I upgrade to it for the final campaign version since we have the skins on her already.
:adoration:

kelticheart
September 21st, 2015, 01:22
Update .airfile to account for the clipped wing tips and new description added. Re-download for update.

Let me add that your Corsair MkII, with the updated airfile reflecting the wing reductions, still flies beautifully.

I do not use the stock Flight Model, but a realistic FM I downloaded years ago, that makes the stock F4U-1A a more nervous thoroughbred and capable of reaching 400 mph in level flight as she did in real life.

I was afraid that reducing the wing dimensions would have turned her into a dangerous mount, worsening especially her stall characteristics.

I was very pleased to discover that she does stall a tad earlier than before, but without unexpected and sudden behaviours.

I only compensate my landing approaches, adding an extra safety 10 mph to my approach speed. The MkII makes beautiful 3-point touchdowns without side effects as her longer winged sister F4U-1A.

BTW.: Just for general info, attached below: I was able to extract a shot from the Great Planes documentary dedicated to the Corsair, where the F4U-1A left wing stall-improving spoiler, devised by VF-17 Technical Officer together with Chance Vought engineers, is clearly visible.

Cheers!