PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Mach 3 military jet for FSX SE

martin88
September 5th, 2015, 10:55
Hi,

well before I buy another "piece of sh***" addon, I would be happy for some information about the following planes:

B-58: http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.p…73&cat=0&page=1 (only Mach 2):a1310: (http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.php?productid=20073&cat=0&page=1)
SR-71: http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.p…01&cat=0&page=1 (http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.php?productid=19301&cat=0&page=1)
Sb-70: http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.p…&cat=389&page=1 (http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.php?productid=18902&cat=389&page=1)

What do you recommend? I am looking for a good model, VC and good flight model

Greetings

Martin

hairyspin
September 5th, 2015, 12:55
...before I buy another "piece of sh***" addon...

Are you kidding? This head stays below the parapet, thanks all the same. :rocket:

glh
September 5th, 2015, 13:09
Here's my $.02. I have the B-58 Hustler from Glowing Heat and I fly it quite a bit. Depending on how much you want to spend, I'd start here for the sales price.

I can't tell you about the others as I don't have them (except in freeware models). I don't think you will be disappointed with the Hustler. I am not.

StormILM
September 5th, 2015, 13:20
The Virtavia XB-70 is a model I have flown on very long range flights and it is both fast and looks good. Insofar as handling, the real bird handled like a truck as it is a big aircraft but then again, it's very stable and predictable.

DaveB
September 5th, 2015, 14:29
Are you kidding? This head stays below the parapet, thanks all the same. :rocket:

I'm of the same mind. What do you recommend to someone who doesn't like anything he buys??

I have the GH B58 and SR71 and like them for what they are. I fear both would fall well below your expectations;)

Did you ever remove the mips from that 319 paint btw?
ATB
DaveB:)

Daube
September 5th, 2015, 16:36
The XB-70 is from Virtavia. I wouldn't expect anything good from it, excepted a nice 3D model. There are some exceptions, but this brand has never been considered "serious" for the realism of the addons. I have their Apache, Kamov Ka-50 and their Albatros.
On all three aircrafts, the external and internal models are quite nice (at the time they got released), but the virtual cockpit has almost nothing clickable, excepted the systems you also find in the defaul Cessna (battery, lights, and that's all...). Ah, for the Albatros, it's even worse... if I remember correctly, you can't even make a simple cold&dark startup with that plane, because some very elementary commands are missing from the VC.
So, anyways, I would avoid that brand if you are looking for serious addons.
The good thing about Virtavia is that they bring to the FS world a very nice set of "exotic" planes that no other brand ever modelled. And they do this at reasonable prices too. But the realism is not their strength at all.

Concerning the other brand, which is GlowingHeat, I don't have any of their addons, but I have heard/read some positive feedback about them.
The B-58 has been presented on this forum and the feedback from the customers wasn't bad at all, if I remember correctly. Also, Rick is working on some amazing metal textures which are bringing the visual realism/beauty of this bird to an extreme level. It might be worth it to investigate about that one (perhaps a search on the forum will return some results ? )

The SR-71, I don't know much about it. I heard it was a "serious" addon but I believe the graphic level is showing its age. I would be interested to hear about the realism of this bird too, actually. I've been hesitating to buy it for quite a while...

glh
September 5th, 2015, 17:58
If you would like some cheap thrills, get the Virtavia F4D Skyray on sale for $5.47. I don't believe anyone has ever made a model of it except Virtavia and Mr. Ito's freeware and it has some repaints around for it. Here's what you get:

For FSX and FS2004
Features:

4 high-detail texture sets

1. VF-213 "Blacklions"
2. VF-23 "Vigilantes"
3. VMF(AW)-542 "Tigers"
4. VMF(AW)-115 "Silver Eagles"

full native FSX model available with all FSX features (bump mapping, self-shadowing, bloom etc)
FSX model includes V-C self-shadowing (effect requires FSX SP2, DX10 preview mode)
4 loadout variations, incl. 'clean'
authentic virtual cockpit with animations and mousable controls
authentic all-xml 2D panel, custom pop-ups for autopilot and radios, fully mousable
automatic (on throttle) afterburner visual effect with corresponding performance boost
animated wingfold, tailhook, speedbrakes and 'beaver tail'
animated canopy (shift-e)
highly authentic flight model with checklist
v-c rain effects (FS9 only)
simulated 'radar' type gauge (FS9 only)
realistic, animated crew figure
automatic smoke trail effect
working landing lights
paintkit available on freeware page

I enjoy mine - it's fun. Hard to beat for $5.47.

fsafranek
September 5th, 2015, 23:50
Of the three mentioned the B-58 is not a Mach 3 aircraft.

The XB-70 has a nice VC, better than some of the others Alphasim/Virtavia was releasing during that time and among those mentioned above. You can see images on the sales page I'm sure. Texture wise there were only two historically accurate options for the Valkyrie and both were included. Like the SR-71 it was not a point and zoom aircraft. It took time and a schedule of altitude steps to get her to the high speed. The Glowingheat SR-71 is still the best one out there despite having a few years on it. The flight model is spot on according to pilot(s) who actually flew it.

I was involved with the development of all three that you mentioned. If they are on sale get them.
:ernaehrung004:

Daube
September 6th, 2015, 00:10
From the few videos I saw about the real SR-71, it seems that plane had to takeoff with limited fuel quantity, and then perform an aerial refueling just after takeoff.
How is that handled in the sim ?

EDIT: with TacPack, I believe we can pop a tanker anywhere anytime, just like AICarriers, right ? But then, is the SR-71 from GlwingHeat able to refuel from it ?
EDIT2: Also, wasn't there some new version of the SR-71 announced somewhere ? Or am I confusing with another one ?

wombat666
September 6th, 2015, 00:40
I'm of the same mind. What do you recommend to someone who doesn't like anything he buys??:)

Agree 110%.:banghead:

martin88
September 6th, 2015, 02:08
Agree 110%.:banghead:
What do you mean?

I am PISSED of fsx stuff, which is good on pictures and bad programed in game. I do not know how most of guys handle it, but I care about my money.

So if I throw money out the window for an addon which is just bad programed, and I also am not able to test it before, I get mad.

If some guys are angry about such reaction, because they love their "holy" flight sim, I don' t care

FlameOut
September 6th, 2015, 04:55
I can only speak of the " Alphasim" versions of the FSX models:

1. I think that the Valkyrie has never been updated since it's release, say, back in 2006-2008 time frame. She had a nice V.C. as fsafranek stated, for that time period, but I thought that the textures for the V.C were terribly blurred !

She as well as the SR-71 had to use the " Step climb" procedure in order to obtain full Mach 3 + speeds. This was a very revolutionary design by the Alphasim designers back in that time frame.
.... Oh, and they did this with a FULL load of gas .... NO "tanker gas to kick ass" !
.... Remember there were NO "Study Sim" aircraft back in those days such as the PMDG 737NG, 777, Majestic Software MJC8 Q400, A2A Accusimed aircraft, Aerosoft Airbus 318/319/320/321, ... and the list grows even more ... Thank God ....

2. The SR-71 has been updated since it's initial release to a small degree, slightly better V.C. textures and I think some kind of animation added to some kind of inlet/outlet doors .... something to do with the engines I think and some improved bump or specular mapping that were not present on the initial release. I' sure fsafranek & Mal988 , [sorry Mal if I got that wrong!] and others that are members here can straightened me out. I'm trying to go on memory when we were all "Alphaholics".

I thought the SR-71 had the best textures of all (3) back then.

3. The B-58 I believe was the last of the (3) to be produced on the Alphasim production line and of course had the benefit of better modeling/ textures and whatnot from the experience gained.
She has been updated even more since then as attested by the B-58 threads within the last 2-3 years or so here on the SOH Forums.

I could be wrong about all this info: but I'm thinking 'bout getting that SR-71 during this sale [she is my 2nd. favorite, the Valkyrie has always been # 1] and I got my eye on about $100.00 worth of other stuff too!

She gonna kill me!

flaviossa
September 6th, 2015, 05:15
I think you should go find another hobby :encouragement: