PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Meltdown

Quicksand
August 26th, 2015, 16:44
Guys, I would have posted this in the prior Windows 10 thread, but I am in deep desperation. I updated to Windows 10 thru the reservation/notification route. It installed fine, but it dumped my antivirus, and FSX was unmanageable. I chose the restore point it created before it updated, and after the smoke cleared I now have the screen of death. I'm staring at my computer now, and lamenting the fact I ever attempted this upgrade. I can't even get my computer to talk to me, and I am livid. I hate MS, and if I lose everything on this machine I will never deal with them again. Does anyone have any idea how I can get past this to recover my prior setup? I am so upset right now. Big promises from MS, and nothing but bs in return. Sorry for the rant. I will never update again if I can just get my Windows 7 setup back. Any insight is appreciated, and yes I know I was a real dumbsh*t for attempting it. Be warned..... Newer is not necessarily better, at least in my case that is the result.

rdaniell
August 26th, 2015, 17:01
Qicksand, I am really sorry to hear about your troubles. I am so thankful, however, that I have just ignored the little icon that showed up on my computer. I've read all the pros and cons for Windows 10 that have been posted here and have talked with other people about it. I came to the conclusion that if it ain't broken then it don't need fixing.

I don't use the computer that I have FSX installed on for anything else and it runs just fine on Windows 7. The only time I even turn on the internet on it is when I have to have it active to install a new airplane.

I truly hope you get things resolved.

Hang tough.

RD

Jafo
August 26th, 2015, 17:13
If you're looking at a BSOD or blank screen [no OS load] in what is expected to be the old Win 7 install you'll have to go through the 'usual steps' for OS recovery...ie. booting into safe mode .... repair from install CD, etc.

Just don't do a new install as you could lose your FSX install due to formatting, etc.

If/when you're back into 7 ok ...download the win 10 media creator tool and dl the update directly, NOT via the win update method you originally used.

Before 'updating' via the installer make a point of backing up any/all data you value to another drive/whatever.

Quicksand
August 26th, 2015, 17:53
Thanks guys. I managed to get to the startup menu and clicked on "Go back to the previous build." Now I'm watching the infamous windows wheel and text that says it's restarting. It's been thirty minutes now. I never got a prompt to restart in safe mode. Very weird. I don't know how long this is supposed to take, but so far it seems like an eternity... Ugh.

zswobbie1
August 26th, 2015, 22:23
The roll back to previous build works very well! I updated Windows 7 on my laptop to Windows 10 without any problems.
I then updated my 2nd laptop, W8.1, to Windows 10, but found that the Start button did not work. I then rolled back to W8.1. I installed & rolled back a second time without any issues at all.

Yup, it could take up to 45min to roll back.
At no time did I do any restores. I just let W10 do it's own thing.

It did present a few butt tightening moments watching this happen tho!

Dev One
August 26th, 2015, 22:32
If/when you're back into 7 ok ...download the win 10 media creator tool and dl the update directly, NOT via the win update method you originally used.

Before 'updating' via the installer make a point of backing up any/all data you value to another drive/whatever.

I downloaded W10 onto a USB stick as an ISO so that I could update my Laptop as well as my wifes & so save time of download. Both laptops converted easily & my installations of FS9 & FSX worked OK although I did have to regenerate a new FSX.cfg file because it defaulted to a full screen 'blank' mode.
Good luck
Keith

Quicksand
August 27th, 2015, 02:10
Thanks for all of your input, guys. It finally did reinstall my Windows 7 and everything is working again. I think I'm going to leave it like it is for now.

glh
August 27th, 2015, 05:38
Thanks for all of your input, guys. It finally did reinstall my Windows 7 and everything is working again. I think I'm going to leave it like it is for now.

"If it ain't broke, ...................." Look at the learning experience you just had !!!!

Jafo
August 27th, 2015, 05:40

Good plan.
Let others be the fall-guys who cry...;)

av8erjm
August 27th, 2015, 11:22
What I was told was to get rid of the annoying popup was to delete KB3035583 and that seemed to work for me. Also I was told if you have windows 7 stick with it until hell freezes over, as far as any of the windows 8 OS, venture at your own risk. don't know if any of this is redundant my apologies if it is

ncooper
August 27th, 2015, 11:40
Just to even the balance a little, I am one of the "fall-guys" but I have yet to cry.

When Windows 8 was offered at £24.99, I purchased it and apart from the now
well known controller dropout, cured by FSUIPC, had no problems at all including
the update to 8.1.

I installed Windows 10 straight away, firstly by the update method and it worked
perfectly well apart from installing a broken driver for my graphics card.
This was soon fixed by a clean install of one that wasn't broken and an alteration
to the update settings to stop it happening again.

I have now also done a clean install onto a different drive and it continues to work
exactly as it should.

I do not claim any of the credit, as the installation process is entirely automatic but
Windows 10 can be successfully installed and when it is, it works very well indeed.

I have now progressed though two generations of OS for less than a quarter of the
price of one and have seen no significant downside.