PDA

View Full Version : Skysim Hawk

Tom Burnside
August 24th, 2015, 02:24
I know Skysim have gone out of business but I just wanted to know if I can still get the Hawk anywhere.

DaveB
August 24th, 2015, 03:17
You asked the same question at CBFS Tom and I honestly can't see the answer being any different here. Short of getting an illegal copy off one of the many Torrents.. your chances of getting hold of it for the foreseeable future are slim to none.

ATB
DaveB:)

DaveSHQ
August 24th, 2015, 04:05
Let's hope if I have to reinstall I won't have to fight their copy protection crap again

Tom Burnside
August 24th, 2015, 04:25
You asked the same question at CBFS Tom and I honestly can't see the answer being any different here. Short of getting an illegal copy off one of the many Torrents.. your chances of getting hold of it for the foreseeable future are slim to none.

ATB

I know but I thought someone on this forum might be able to help.

DaveB
August 24th, 2015, 07:29
Tom..

It was only ever sold from the Skysim site (unless you got a dvd copy.. also sold by Skysim who appeared at a number of airshows with their own stall) and the model had a complex registration system. Once installed.. you hit a supplied key gen application and sent the result to Skysim who would then send back an activation key based on the unique key gen you'd provided. I mention this in case you were wondering if someone could pass a copy to you in private. The Hawk can't be passed from one pc to another (even if you own both) without the copyright security being compromised. You will see the Hawk with a big box around it!! The RAF also put very strict restrictions on the model. Rick intended selling it with a number of model variations with accompanying paints but the RAF would not allow it. It had to be sold as a single Red Arrows Hawk or not at all. Rick did release a set of paints for it which were given free.

I could go on but I doubt you'd listen.
ATB

IanHenry
August 24th, 2015, 07:33
Tom, if your patiant you never know what might turn up in the not to distant future. There may be a plesant suprise comming.

Ian

Tom Burnside
August 24th, 2015, 10:49
Tom..

It was only ever sold from the Skysim site (unless you got a dvd copy.. also sold by Skysim who appeared at a number of airshows with their own stall) and the model had a complex registration system. Once installed.. you hit a supplied key gen application and sent the result to Skysim who would then send back an activation key based on the unique key gen you'd provided. I mention this in case you were wondering if someone could pass a copy to you in private. The Hawk can't be passed from one pc to another (even if you own both) without the copyright security being compromised. You will see the Hawk with a big box around it!! The RAF also put very strict restrictions on the model. Rick intended selling it with a number of model variations with accompanying paints but the RAF would not allow it. It had to be sold as a single Red Arrows Hawk or not at all. Rick did release a set of paints for it which were given free.

I could go on but I doubt you'd listen.
ATB

I would listened if you had said this in the first place. I only posted it on here to see if anyone knew where I could get it as its a model I really like it only innocent question.

vonstroheim
August 24th, 2015, 16:28
While waiting for a revamped Skysim Hawk, maybe you could try to repaint Dino's Goshawk?

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/124190hawk.jpg

This one is based on John Guest's Red Arrow repaint (simviation). Don't ask, I won't finish it because I'm so hopeless with repaints! But it might give ideas to others...

Ian Warren
August 24th, 2015, 22:55
I consider this the better , the Skysim Hawk to the Lotus L-39 , Rick reconned the other way .. just something about it .. Superb .. great to see a Hawk return.

Dutcheeseblend
August 24th, 2015, 23:28
I believe there were a number of good freeware Hawks for FS9, I used to fly them a lot back in those days. The author did a lot of Hawks, IIRC, and a lot of paints as well. Piglet probably? They really looked good!
So next question might be: do they port over nicely?

Edit: got it, should be David Brice who made these.

dhazelgrove
August 24th, 2015, 23:46
I believe there were a number of good freeware Hawks for FS9, I used to fly them a lot back in those days. The author did a lot of Hawks, IIRC, and a lot of paints as well. Piglet probably? They really looked good!
So next question might be: do they port over nicely?

Edit: got it, should be David Brice who made these.

Don't forget that UKMIL also do a Hawk.
They do a Red Arrows pack, A Hawk T1 pack and a Hawk 100 pack - all for both FS9 and FSX.

All available from their website.

Dave

roadrabbit
November 9th, 2015, 15:06
My problem is 'slightly' different:

I have my original Skysim Hawk DVD which was working fine. I then had to re-install FSX. When I came to re-install my Skysim BAe Hawk I ran into the problem. I have the first security code number, and when I insert it into the activation routine it brings up the second activation code. Now "all I have to do" is insert the final activation code obtained from Skysim. Well, I actually do have my original code, so I though 'No problem'. Putting this third code number into the designated window and pressing <OK> brings up the wonderful window congratulating me on successfully activating my product.

However ................ when firing up FSX and loading up the Hawk, all seems fine at first, but after a short time with everything working, and external view of aircraft looking a treat, I get the dreaded red warning at the top of the screen asking me to press the ILS Marker. After 5 minutes countdown I'm back in Lego-brick Land.

I am using Windows 7 Professional and wonder if I have set up the UAC correctly? The read-me.txt attached instruction is, if using Vista, to "switch UAC control". Just what does this mean? Switch it <OFF>, switch it <ON>, minimise its effect? Could this be the cause of the problem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated from someone who is definitely NOT a computer guru!

teeboy
November 10th, 2015, 10:32
Think I had the same issue when I installed it the second time (after a disk rebuild) and found I had to turn UAC off to get it to work properly. Always a good idea if using the default instal for fsx in Win7 or Vista anyway.

DaveSHQ
September 14th, 2016, 04:57
Let's hope if I have to reinstall I won't have to fight their copy protection crap again

Yep finally happened. Freaking sucks.