PDA

View Full Version : FSX VC rain effect

dc10boy
August 23rd, 2015, 13:02
Hi All, none of my aircraft, including native FSX stuff from PMDG etc. have any kind of VC rain effect.Could I be missing a hidden setting somewhere?
Stan

ncooper
August 23rd, 2015, 13:22
No, the VC rain effect is little used and requires either custom files or those from Fs 2004 to work.
There are a very few payware aircraft that implement it but as the effect has to be included into
the model, if an aircraft doesn't have it, it cannot be added.

Nick.

Tako_Kichi
August 23rd, 2015, 13:23
FSX does not have visible rain effects in the VC.

Milton Shupe
August 23rd, 2015, 13:45
I have them working just fine :-)

EDIT: Found the FSX fix from FLIGHT1: http://www.flight1software.com/fsxtools/f1_fsx_vcrainfix.exe

Tako_Kichi
August 23rd, 2015, 16:22
That's because it's a FS2004 port-over Milton, FSX is backwards compatible with regards to the rain effect - IF - you have added the required textures either from FS2004 or via the fix you linked to. FSX does not have the required rain textures by default.

In addition, the ability to export the VC rain effect was removed in the FSX SDK. See this page for more info: https://fsfxpackages.com/en/blog/2014/08/15/vc-rain-effects/

Bottom line is you can get rain effects if (a) the model is a FS2004 port-over and (b) you have the required textures added to FSX so that you can see them but a pure FSX native aircraft cannot have VC rain effects.

dc10boy
August 23rd, 2015, 16:35
Thanks for the info guys.

Milton Shupe
August 23rd, 2015, 16:37
That's because it's a FS2004 port-over Milton, FSX is backwards compatible with regards to the rain effect - IF - you have added the required textures either from FS2004 or via the fix you linked to. FSX does not have the required rain textures by default.

In addition, the ability to export the VC rain effect was removed in the FSX SDK. See this page for more info: https://fsfxpackages.com/en/blog/2014/08/15/vc-rain-effects/

Bottom line is you can get rain effects if (a) the model is a FS2004 port-over and (b) you have the required textures added to FSX so that you can see them but a pure FSX native aircraft cannot have VC rain effects.

You are right on, as always Sir. :-)

I knew that but I had to get in a jab ... but thanks for providing the official substantiation for all of us. :applause:

Naismith
August 23rd, 2015, 22:56
It would be nice if something could be done re that tunnel effect as in Milton #1 pic.

ncooper
August 23rd, 2015, 23:53
PrecipitFX (https://fsfxpackages.com/en/precipitFX/) does a very good job of minimising that effect.

Naismith
August 24th, 2015, 01:55
Thank-you for that - reaching for CC. Mrs. is cursing you of course. :biggrin-new:

TeiscoDelRay
August 24th, 2015, 03:53

There are several FSX planes that come with rain on windscreen effects, RealAir Duke and the Flysimware Mu are two that I know of.

vortex
August 24th, 2015, 04:41

There are several FSX planes that come with rain on windscreen effects, RealAir Duke and the Flysimware Mu are two that I know of.

Add to that Ant's Airplanes T28, another FSX native aircraft. As Nick pointed out, it just needs to be programmed into the model. There is an FPS hit which is why I think most developers don't include it.

TeiscoDelRay
August 24th, 2015, 05:37
Add to that Ant's Airplanes T28, another FSX native aircraft. As Nick pointed out, it just needs to be programmed into the model. There is an FPS hit which is why I think most developers don't include it.

Tested and no frame rate hit with Duke T or MU on my end with rain effects on or off.

Milton Shupe
August 24th, 2015, 05:53
I suspect the main reason some developers do not include it (FS9) is it can be a pita to setup to look right, and to work right.

Aside from that, it can affect frame rates on some slower/older computers much the same as throwing in heavy 3D clouds.

Just speaking from experience here :-)

falcon409
August 24th, 2015, 06:29
Also, I've seen rain "effects" incorporated into a texture, supposedly to mimic the appearance of rain on a windscreen, but actually it looks more like a lot of bugs stuck on it after a very long trip on the Interstate. I usually redo the texture to remove them.