PDA

View Full Version : Win7 Surprise

falcon409
August 19th, 2015, 16:34
Five days after doing a clean installation of Win7 I get a message stating that the activation key I used was incorrect? If it wasn't the right key wouldn't it have made that known during the installation. . .like right after I typed in the key and hit OK?

falcon409
August 19th, 2015, 17:13
lol, this is sooooo Microsoft. . .I ran a validation check of my Win7 installation through Microsoft. It shows that I have a valid Win7 installation, but since I can't find the original Installation key, I'll have to purchase a "New Key". No problem, can't be THAT expensive. . . .Oh Yea! In order to get that new installation key I have to buy another copy of the same version of Win7 that's already installed. . . .LMAO!

Jafo
August 19th, 2015, 17:28
There are proggies that can reveal the install keys on your machine... but if/when you have issues with a legitimate activation [a correct key that fails to activate] there's an option to phone MS and get it sorted. Been there and done that over the years several times.

Typically it's an issue with the machine code string....due to hardware changes since original install/activation...;)

falcon409
August 19th, 2015, 17:42
There are proggies that can reveal the install keys on your machine... but if/when you have issues with a legitimate activation [a correct key that fails to activate] there's an option to phone MS and get it sorted. Been there and done that over the years several times.
Typically it's an issue with the machine code string....due to hardware changes since original install/activation...;)
This machine already had Win7 installed on it and when I had to do a complete reinstall after a HDD crash I used a self made installation disc at the direction of Microsoft. I must have had a product key at that time or I would have had this same problem back then. Problem is now I can no longer find that key. I searched all my notebooks and scraps of paper around the computer and finally found "A Key" that had the right sequence of 5 digit numbers and that's what I entered. Apparently that wasn't the correct key. I'll continue to look but it would appear that I'll have to buy another copy to get this corrected.

Why bother validating an installed Win7 version to be sure it's a legal installation then turn around and advise that to get a new key you'll have to buy another copy of Windows, lol? Moronic.

Jafo
August 19th, 2015, 18:23
I'd still ring MS ...citing the key used this time with the install that now says it's not valid...and explain the circumstances....
Providing the Indian accent isn't too strong to comprehend you'll be fine...;)

falcon409
August 19th, 2015, 18:47
. . . . . Providing the Indian accent isn't too strong to comprehend you'll be fine...;)
lol, Very true.

airtj
August 19th, 2015, 19:32
Falcon,

Run this program and it will show you the windows key.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

falcon409
August 19th, 2015, 19:55
Falcon,

Run this program and it will show you the windows key.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
Funny you should post this. I have that program and while I was rummaging around looking for another key I remembered that I ran it a few months ago. I pulled up that report, looked at the key noted in that report and re-entered it. I must have typed the key wrong when I did this latest reinstall because this time the activation was successful! Crazy!