PDA

View Full Version : Would this be possible?

falcon409
August 17th, 2015, 08:01
I was just on facebook advising an old classmate on the Win10 Upgrade and a thought came to mind. When Win10 is installed it saves the old Windows folder, renaming it "Windows.old"

If you wanted to go back to say Win7, could you reverse the naming process, reboot you system and have Win7 back again (with the correct registry information intact). Wouldn't that basically nullify everything installed by the Win10 upgrade?

Bjoern
August 17th, 2015, 08:53
Win 10 can roll back to an old version automatically, but I forgot where it can be done in the menu. No need for renaming shenanigans.

From what I've read, rolling back from 10 to 7 isn't always succesful though.

falcon409
August 17th, 2015, 09:16
Win 10 can roll back to an old version automatically, but I forgot where it can be done in the menu. No need for renaming shenanigans.

From what I've read, rolling back from 10 to 7 isn't always succesful though.
Yea I've already accomplished the "roll-back" and as you say. . .it's not always successful. You can only roll-back as far as Win7 though. If you had anything older than Win7 it requires a complete reinstallation.

huub vink
August 17th, 2015, 09:47
It should be possible, but as said by Bjoern it isn't always successful. It helps when you have created a recovery point before you installed Windows 10.

Cheers,
Huub

falcon409
August 17th, 2015, 09:51
It should be possible, but as said by Bjoern it isn't always successful. It helps when you have created a recovery point before you installed Windows 10.
Cheers,
Huub
Just to show how little attention I pay to my system (and how lucky I am and not even realize it) when I went to try a restore. . .the last restore point was 2 years ago, lol.

zswobbie1
August 17th, 2015, 13:43
Minimum specs for Windows 10 is Windows 7 !! (NOT XP). You cannot upgrade XP with the free Windows 10 update!

Go to '"Settings", " Update & Security", " Recovery" & it will ask if you want to roll back to your previous operating system (Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 whichever you upgraded from)

My roll back to my Windows 8.1 was perfect.

DaveWG
August 17th, 2015, 22:11
My rollback to Win7-64 failed. Apparently there were files missing, although I hadn't removed anything.:banghead: