PDA

View Full Version : SSW F-104 sound quesion

joe bob
August 12th, 2015, 14:50
I get a pretty rough loop sound for engine noise.
Besides being on the rough side, it overwhelms other sounds including the radio voices.
I am trying to preserve what is left of my hearing, is there a way to tone down or replace this sound?
It is independent of the normal sounds, (you can hear it even when you go to map view and so forth)
Thanks,JB

DaveB
August 12th, 2015, 16:56
Right.. let me see.

This can be a couple of things..
1. you've left the GPU running (unlikely) or
2. you've not cancelled the starter (very likely).

You can start with either starter switch but it's not particularly intuitive on the model. The switch looks like it's returned to off but it hasn't.. you have to click it again to turn it off;) I had this problem when I first had the model and the starter was the cause.

Inside (outside too for that matter) is a lot quieter than I'd expected. Inside is one thing (I guess) but outside.. you'd expect to have your eardrums split but this isn't reflected in the soundset.
Another question you might ask is about the nav lights. Even on the brightest setting, you're hard pushed to see them. I gather this is how they are on the real one.

Took mine up for a flight tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. The landing was a bit leary.. not flown it for a while and was expecting the left wing to snap down if the throttle got too low before touchdown. The right wing went down instead!!:biggrin-new:

ATB
DaveB:)

joe bob
August 12th, 2015, 17:45
Thanks Dave, I will give it a try.

I am loving this, brings back my Cloud 9 days.
I loved that one. I had a zoom climb profile that I got to 88,000 feet with.
Afterwards if I could get a restart I would return as normal to Edwards. if not then I usually could glide back to Edwards or divert to Palmdale.

ncooper
August 12th, 2015, 23:02
Thanks from me too, I had the same problem and
a second upwards switch to the starter, once the engine
was running, has solved it.
It's a most impressive aircraft model indeed.

smoky942
August 13th, 2015, 00:57
You're right DaveB, the nav lights are modelled as per the real one (dim) After starting the EPU, Left mouse click the starter switch to start the engine, after starting, Right click the same switch to shut the EPU down. When LAND flaps are selected, it also activates the BLC (boundary Layer Control) so engine RPM must NEVER be allowed to fall below 83% (85% is safer) till the main gear is firmly on the ground. The F104 has to be flown with power on right down to the tarmac. Also very important to locate a small dial on the dashboard marked "Equivalent Angle of Attack" and calibrated from 0 to 5 Whenever pulling G, (turning or climbing) keep a close eye on that instrument and don't let the needle exceed 4.5. If it reaches 5 you will spin out of control (as per the real one) This really is a very satisfying model to fly ...as long as you read all the notes to learn what it can...and can't do.

/Russell.

DaveB
August 13th, 2015, 01:19
Indeed mate. It's been a while since I've flown it and while you NEVER forget the BLC and how it will bite hard.. I had forgotten which side snapped down if the RPM drops too low. There I was yesterday.. just feet from the deck and ready for the left wing to drop.. the right one snapped over instead:banghead: I walked away but it wasn't one of those landings you jump to look at using Instant Replay!!!:biggrin-new: Couldn't remember the command for ground steering either so I found a quiet place to park, jumped over the peri fence and ran home:dizzy:

It's a great model though and one of the few I really enjoy.

ATB
DaveB:)