PDA

View Full Version : Sim Skunk works F-104 G

TeiscoDelRay
August 11th, 2015, 11:34
Just seen they had a great sale and wanted opinions on this plane.,

flaviossa
August 11th, 2015, 11:52
Thanks for pointing out the sale! Just got the F84F. I have the F104S, G and the Harrier. I love all of them. Go get it! :encouragement:

menef
August 11th, 2015, 12:01
I have F104G - F104S - AV8B : money well spent, GOOD models. GOOD flight models, GOOD and in depth systems simulation, lot of paints, VERY VERY FPS FRIENDLY. GOOD manuals.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26368&stc=1

Stickshaker
August 11th, 2015, 12:07
I fully agree.

joe bob
August 11th, 2015, 12:08
I went to their store and see nothing to purchase. How do they work their sales?

menef
August 11th, 2015, 12:20
I went to their store and see nothing to purchase. How do they work their sales?
You have to register and be logged in order to see the Software Shop label on the home screen

joe bob
August 11th, 2015, 12:21
Thanks Menef

DaveB
August 11th, 2015, 12:34
My only bugbear with SSW is their complex purchasing setup and even when your money has gone and your download is safely installed.. you won't be able to fly the model until an authentication code has been sent. Well.. you can but it will be in demo mode. IF you can stand all this.. then go with it. The 104G is an excellent model and everything menef described:encouragement:

ATB
DaveB:)

Rallymodeller
August 11th, 2015, 14:05
Hm. Went to their site and logged in, and I'm seeing nothing at all on their product page. Weird.

odourboy
August 11th, 2015, 14:56
Yep, their storefront is not exactly customer friendly. It's a wonder they manage to sell anything!

Once you're logged in, select "software shop" then Fsx acc pack models (or P3D), then you should see some actual products and prices.

DaveB
August 11th, 2015, 14:59
hahahaha.. just seen you there mate. Yes.. it's not what you'd call intuitive but there is a 50% Summer Sale once you find it;)

ATB

menef
August 12th, 2015, 00:52
hahahaha.. just seen you there mate. Yes.. it's not what you'd call intuitive but there is a 50% Summer Sale once you find it;)

ATB

Hi Dave! I fully agree with you. The installation process is a little complicated but
following step by step the indications I've never encountered any problem. IMHO it's
better having little problems (if we can call them so ) like those rather than having in a more
simple way a product full of real PROBLEMS and bugs. I'd have some examples but
it's better keep the silence.:mixed-smiley-027: bye

DaveB
August 12th, 2015, 01:01
Hi Dave! I fully agree with you. The installation process is a little complicated but
following step by step the indications I've never encountered any problem. IMHO it's
better having little problems (if we can call them so ) like those rather than having in a more
simple way a product full of real PROBLEMS and bugs. I'd have some examples but
it's better keep the silence.:mixed-smiley-027: bye

I hear that!!:biggrin-new:

Again.. I'm tempted by their AV8 which for $10 in the sale, is a giveaway. The complexity of it (the model.. not the purchasing process) is stopping me though.
ATB

menef
August 12th, 2015, 01:05
Just seen they had a great sale and wanted opinions on this plane.,

Only for information, all SSW products are not a CTRL+E starting planes. You must follow all
Check lists and procedures stated by SSW. They are quite complex aircraft to fly. For complex
I mean that It" s mandatory study the manual but this is the fun. Bye:very_drunk:

menef
August 12th, 2015, 01:16
I hear that!!:biggrin-new:

Again.. I'm tempted by their AV8 which for $10 in the sale, is a giveaway. The complexity of it (the model.. not the purchasing process) is stopping me though.
ATB

They have included a short list of important suggestions called Harrier hints where you can find
many basic indications to manage the AV8B. If you have some patience you can fly
it for sure. It's a real VTOL / STOL flight model. The only thing it should need is an upgrade of the
external/VC visual- graphic model ( but if you want, you can buy the Razbam Harrier:biggrin-new::banghead:)

StormILM
August 12th, 2015, 01:43
Got a few days left on the sale, am going to get the Harrier once I get my new SSD's and HDD setup & running. I've already got the F-104's and F-84F & am very happy with them.

Daube
August 12th, 2015, 01:51
I couldn't spot anything related to sales on the site.
For the Harrier, base price is the same a sale price... is it finished already ?

EDIT: Ah sorry, it's a coupon which is indicated on the "Home" page, ok.

DaveB
August 12th, 2015, 03:39
They have included a short list of important suggestions called Harrier hints where you can find
many basic indications to manage the AV8B. If you have some patience you can fly
it for sure. It's a real VTOL / STOL flight model. The only thing it should need is an upgrade of the
external/VC visual- graphic model ( but if you want, you can buy the Razbam Harrier:biggrin-new::banghead:)

:wavey:
I already have both the Razbam Harriers and the Wilco model but I've never been happy with either. They both have good points so I keep both installed but fly them rarely. IF (a big if) you can get the SSW model up somewhere as easy as the Zipper.. I'll be happy to give it a go. I thought the Zipper was going to be painful to get up and running but it's not really. The minimum you can get away with is the minimum possible.. no shortcuts. Still.. you're ready to go in around 3mins and I can handle that.
ATB

menef
August 12th, 2015, 04:21
[QUOTperformancesB;972572]:wavey:
I already have both the Razbam Harriers and the Wilco model but I've never been happy with either. They both have good points so I keep both installed but fly them rarely. IF (a big if) you can get the SSW model up somewhere as easy as the Zipper.. I'll be happy to give it a go. I thought the Zipper was going to be painful to get up and running but it's not really. The minimum you can get away with is the minimum possible.. no shortcuts. Still.. you're ready to go in around 3mins and I can handle that.
ATB
DaveB:)[/QUOTE]

SSW Harrier is a little more complex than the Zipper (IMO) but is not problematic at all. Razbam Harrier , in my experience, is only
a candy-eye model. As far as I remember I had problems even taxiing on the ground.
I don't know if Razbam has released an upgrade but for me this addon is in the grave forever.:very_drunk:

DaveB
August 12th, 2015, 10:00
I've bit the bullet and gone for the SSW AV8 anyway.. rude not to in a 50% sale:very_drunk:

I found a startup vid online and it looks pretty straight forward. From the vid.. the sounds are great too. Awaiting the activation key now;)
ATB

DaveB
August 13th, 2015, 11:15
Don't want to hijack the thrust of the thread but the AV8 is going well thus far..

http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/av83.jpg

http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/av84.jpg

http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/av85.jpg

This was a flight from Culdrose out to Constellation.. a landing to take on AIM9's.. take off and landing and another takeoff and landing. While the model (visually) is a bit 'rough' (for want of a better word) both inside and out compared to other offerings currently available.. the flight model is (IMHO) the best of the bunch.. especially transition. Transition is (for me) as important as STOL/VTOL and flight and the SSW model does this very well. So far.. so good.

ATB

DagR
August 13th, 2015, 11:30
I bought the Harrier yesterday, did not notice the sale, talked to Mario and got a prompt 50% refund, great service. Note to self: read the webpage!
Enjoying the Harrier immensly and looking forward to the PA200. I'm told the Harrier will get an external/internal graphics update after the Tornado as well as more avionics functions. Gonna be good.

Best regards Dag

Cees Donker
August 13th, 2015, 12:10
Only for information, all SSW products are not a CTRL+E starting planes. You must follow all
Check lists and procedures stated by SSW. They are quite complex aircraft to fly. For complex
I mean that It" s mandatory study the manual but this is the fun. Bye:very_drunk:

The manual? It's a crime for me to find a manual with a proper layout as to where is what? I can't find it! I know there's a docs folder, but I got no wiser there.

:dizzy:

Cees

DaveB
August 13th, 2015, 12:29
That's very welcome news Dag:encouragement:

Cees..
The manuals for the Zipper (like the AV8) are extensive.. almost in the extreme. For the Zipper particularly.. there's a very useful pdf called zipperhints (in the docs folder). Read this one before contemplating the rest. Also of use are the online tutorials on youtube. For example.. type in something like Simskunkworks F104G startup tutorial and you'll get a few pop up. I've not even scratched the surface with the 104 but with the zipperhints.pdf and the online startup tutorial.. at least you can get from A to B:encouragement:

ATB

Cees Donker
August 13th, 2015, 13:41
'Zipper system not initialized, please initialize it manually.' :dizzy: Then there's also the canopy: I can't get it locked! :dizzy: I think this this not my kind of addon. Alas...

Cees

DaveB
August 13th, 2015, 14:42
Cees..

Did you get the activation code?

Re the canopy.. there's a big old lever on the RH side of the cockpit. You need to pull this aft to lock the canopy. Word of advice.. wait until the INS has run through it's 1 min wind-up before you lock the canopy otherwise.. you can't change the INS knob!!

ATB

joe bob
August 13th, 2015, 16:41
Hang in there Cees, it can be done!

Many developers have banners saying "Proud Customer"
SSW should have one identifying you as one of the elite few to navigate their complex buying, registering process.

andrea6811
August 14th, 2015, 01:39
'Zipper system not initialized, please initialize it manually.' :dizzy: Then there's also the canopy: I can't get it locked! :dizzy: I think this this not my kind of addon. Alas...

Cees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EOIOdmOXoY

'Zipper system not initialized, please initialize it manually.':

set to 0 manually all fuel stores with the exception for the central fuel store . (i suggest you to save a default flight C&D and central fuel store 100%)

Hope this help

Ciao

Cees Donker
August 14th, 2015, 02:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EOIOdmOXoY

'Zipper system not initialized, please initialize it manually.':

set to 0 manually all fuel stores with the exception for the central fuel store . (i suggest you to save a default flight C&D and central fuel store 100%)

Hope this help

Ciao

I can get it initialized, but the canopy won't close no matter what I try. I have the Thunderstreak, so I should know how to do it, but no cigar, alas! And that has nothing to do with flying IMHO.

:wavey:

Cees

ncooper
August 14th, 2015, 02:24
Canopy, seated in the VC.

Look up and to the left, you will see a small yellow locking handle
on the top rail of the canopy.
Click this to unlock it and then pull the canopy to the right with the mouse.
It will lower down to the ajar position, when you are ready, pull the large
yellow lever to the rear and this will lock it.

Cees Donker
August 14th, 2015, 02:45
Canopy, seated in the VC.

Look up and to the left, you will see a small yellow locking handle
on the top rail of the canopy.
Click this to unlock it and then pull the canopy to the right with the mouse.
It will lower down to the ajar position, when you are ready, pull the large
yellow lever to the rear and this will lock it.

Finally managed to get her of the runway of Capodichino! Pffffff!

:applause:

Cees

andrea6811
August 14th, 2015, 03:06

:applause:

Cees

:ernaehrung004:

awstub
August 14th, 2015, 03:09
Nice sale (once you figure out how to get to it) ....I bought the F84F and F-104G.
Yes, registration is a bit of a pain, but they both seem to be working fine now.

Anyone know of any repaints showing the camouflaged F-104's during their SE Asia deployments?

I have searched and not found any so far...

Stu

menef
August 14th, 2015, 04:35
Nice sale (once you figure out how to get to it) ....I bought the F84F and F-104G.
Yes, registration is a bit of a pain, but they both seem to be working fine now.

Anyone know of any repaints showing the camouflaged F-104's during their SE Asia deployments?

I have searched and not found any so far...

Stu

F104 used in Vietnam were C variant, all with in flight refuelling fixed probe and with the part above the jet nozzle shaped differently from G / S models. So , a paint of SSW Zipper in the SEA camouflage would be not actual.

menef
August 14th, 2015, 05:00
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26442&stc=1

DaveB
August 14th, 2015, 05:08
Would it not be within the bounds of possibility for SSW to add another cab on the front and make those small changes elsewhere to turn it into a C?? I'd be in line to bag a copy:encouragement:

ATB

ncooper
August 14th, 2015, 06:23
Here's one over Italy, freeware photo scenery

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/08/15/2015-8-14_11-40-48-414.jpg

menef
August 14th, 2015, 06:41
Here's one over Italy, freeware photo scenery

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/08/15/2015-8-14_11-40-48-414.jpg

Stunning!:very_drunk: Where did you get that scenery?

DaveB
August 14th, 2015, 06:42

Have you landed yet Cees??:biggrin-new:
ATB

ncooper
August 14th, 2015, 06:49
Where did you get that scenery?

From here (http://italyphotoreal.weebly.com/download.html) I think.
A friend of mine with a very fast connection downloaded it for me.
He did say it took a while, the result is almost 43 GB.
I see there is an even better version now, only 400GB.
There are some more files here (http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx/italy.html)

menef
August 14th, 2015, 06:58
Would it not be within the bounds of possibility for SSW to add another cab on thwith t front and make those small changes elsewhere to turn it into a C?? I'd be in line to bag a copy:encouragement:

ATB

Hi Dave!! C model had also an engine with LESS thrust as respect with the late G/S variants so also the flight model should be
adjusted by SSW to correctly replicate the real bird.:very_drunk::very_drunk:

menef
August 14th, 2015, 06:59
From here (http://italyphotoreal.weebly.com/download.html) I think.
A friend of mine with a very fast connection downloaded it for me.
He did say it took a while, the result is almost 43 GB.
I see there is an even better version now, only 400GB.
There are some more files here (http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx/italy.html)

Thank you! :jump:

DaveB
August 14th, 2015, 07:20
Hi Dave!! C model had also an engine with LESS thrust as respect with the late G/S variants so also the flight model should be
adjusted by SSW to correctly replicate the real bird.:very_drunk::very_drunk:

That's possible to do:encouragement:

That scenery looks great but at over 40gb.. my overhead telephone wire would melt before it finished downloading!!

ATB

Cees Donker
August 14th, 2015, 12:07
Have you landed yet Cees??:biggrin-new:
ATB

The first time I did (beginners luck I guess?). The second time I stalled and crashed.

:biggrin-new:

Cees

DaveB
August 14th, 2015, 12:28
hahahaha:biggrin-new:

I don't think I've stalled yet though I did run out of gas on a long run from Culdrose to Gib. I presumed (deary me) that fuel transfer from the tip tanks would be automatic.. I should have known better with this old girl. As a result.. there's an airframe sat in a field somewhere in Spain:banghead: I know better now of course. Oh to run out of gas when you've still got plenty left:dizzy:

ATB

Cees Donker
August 14th, 2015, 13:55
The result is the same......:biggrin-new:

Cees

awstub
August 14th, 2015, 21:40
Yes, I'm aware that the repaint would be inaccurate....... but it wouldn't be that much different that what has been done with other aircraft models (the "J" version of the Milviz F-4E comes to mind).
I'm just looking for something that is as close to what I want as I can find. If I can find SEA era camo for it, I would be satisfied with that. If SSW added the removable refueling probe, I would be even happier.

If they produced a C version with Tacpack capability I would not be able to contain myself!

F104 used in Vietnam were C variant, all with in flight refuelling fixed probe and with the part above the jet nozzle shaped differently from G / S models. So , a paint of SSW Zipper in the SEA camouflage would be not actual.

Cees Donker
September 6th, 2015, 05:13
After starting the gun starts firing and only stops in flight. I must be doing something wrong?

:dizzy::dizzy:

Cees

flaviossa
September 6th, 2015, 05:27
Hi! I think you already know but ssw has a forum here:
http://www.vaafse.org/simskunkBB/

And they are very quick in replies. I think what you´re seeing is a bad combination of default flight parameters and the way the F104 starts it´s systems.

Cees Donker
September 6th, 2015, 05:46
I think I figured it out flaviossa. Took me a while though!

Thanks!

Cees

DaveQ
September 6th, 2015, 22:45
Yes, I'm aware that the repaint would be inaccurate....... but it wouldn't be that much different that what has been done with other aircraft models (the "J" version of the Milviz F-4E comes to mind).
I'm just looking for something that is as close to what I want as I can find. If I can find SEA era camo for it, I would be satisfied with that. If SSW added the removable refueling probe, I would be even happier.

If they produced a C version with Tacpack capability I would not be able to contain myself!

Just seen this (been away...). Here's one I did for my own amusement. If anyone's interested I'll check it over and post.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/DaveQ-photos/F-104G%20SEA%201_zps1irgm0kp.jpg

DaveQ

PS Don't mean to hijack your thread Cees.

strykerpsg
September 7th, 2015, 02:58
Just seen this (been away...). Here's one I did for my own amusement. If anyone's interested I'll check it over and post.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/DaveQ-photos/F-104G%20SEA%201_zps1irgm0kp.jpg

DaveQ

Wow! Stunning work. Is this a SEA scheme or some European/US one? I really like the contrast to the shiny US one's.

DaveB
September 7th, 2015, 03:07
I like that Dave.. you post away:encouragement:

ATB

DaveQ
September 7th, 2015, 04:52
Wow! Stunning work. Is this a SEA scheme or some European/US one? I really like the contrast to the shiny US one's.

Not a real scheme, US or otherwise, just a fictional one I did a while back for my own amusement as I said. I need to check it out before posting after I've phinished the RN Milviz Phantom.

Meanwhile I'll try to get this old chestnut uploaded this week....

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/DaveQ-photos/F-104G%20USAF%2069_zpsvtnzxugj.jpg

DaveQ

DaveB
September 7th, 2015, 05:34
These are working very well for me Dave:applause: What else have you got loafing around on your HD??:biggrin-new:

ATB

awstub
September 7th, 2015, 06:40
Yes, that looks fantastic.

DaveQ

Cees Donker
September 7th, 2015, 08:42

DaveQ

Well it isn't mine!

:dizzy:

Cees

daisan
October 9th, 2015, 00:23
Flying the good old zipper in Spain

https://youtu.be/4jaculzVjko