PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Tri-Jet: CS L1011 or Justflight DC10 HD

martin88
August 6th, 2015, 00:21
Hi,

I am looking for a nice Tri Jet (PMDG MD11 is the best, yes I know) :a1310:

I am between two: CS L1011 or Justflight DC10 HD.
At the moment justflight has a very good special offer:
http://www.justflight.com/product/dc10-collection-hd-10-to-40

I think you get 4 versions of the DC-10 for a very good price and it is compatible with FSX Steam.

Other option is the L1011 from Captain Sim which looks extremely nice.
http://www.captainsim.com/products/l011/

But the thing is there is no official statement if the Tristar is compatible with steam.

So I am unsure which plane to get and hope somebody can help me:jump:

Greetings
Martin

ncooper
August 6th, 2015, 01:00
In my opinion the Captain Sim Aircraft is the choice
between those two.

martin88
August 6th, 2015, 02:49
In my opinion the Captain Sim Aircraft is the choice
between those two.

Yes but nobody can clearly tell me, if it works on steam or if the installer even knows the FSX Steam Location

Other thing is justflight offers 4 or 5 different models of the DC-10 including the cargo model. And at CS I have to buy the Cargo Model extra

wombat666
August 6th, 2015, 04:47
Minimum System Requirements for CS TriStar. For FSX version:

- PC with 3.0 GHz equivalent or higher processor
- 1 Gb of system RAM
- 512 MB DirectX 9 or 10 compatible video card
- 1.5 Gb of free space on the MS FS hard drive
- Microsoft® Windows® XP SP2 / Vista / 7
- Microsoft® Flight Simulator X + SP2 or Flight Simulator X Acceleration.
- Internet access for installation/re-installation (offline activation available)
- Mouse w/scroll wheel and middle button

The CLS TriStar has been heavily reworked and is marketed by Justflight under their 'Classic Airliners' banner as the L-1011 TriStar Professional.
CLS are also the developers of the 'DC-10 Collection HD 10-40' which is listed as one of their 'F-Lite collections', so it is probably basic.

Captain Sim TriStar is the one to get, the only comment on their site is re the 'FSX' version not running on ' Prepar3D', no mention of anything else.

Willy
August 6th, 2015, 05:01
When it comes to tri-jets, the Boeing 727 will always be a favorite here. You don't need a large airport for it.

expat
August 6th, 2015, 06:47
Like the looks and range of the JF TriStar but the CS 727-100 gets the most flight time and as Willy says it can access shorter fields.

Tako_Kichi
August 6th, 2015, 07:40
I've got a lot of hours in the JF Tristar (the early version not the latest one) and it's by far my favourite tubeliner.

TeiscoDelRay
August 6th, 2015, 16:33
Do both Capt Sim tri engines (1011, 727) work in steam edition?

Boomer
August 6th, 2015, 17:17
IMO you will be disappointed in the DC-10.

The CS L1011 is a joy to fly & I have allot of hours in it. As to whether it will work in steam... No clue sorry :dizzy:

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m508/IHMSA/Delta%20Virtual%20Aviation/DVA_3.jpg

TeiscoDelRay
August 6th, 2015, 17:29
Thanks, great screenshot. How is it on FPS and VAS?

gradyhappyg
August 6th, 2015, 19:03
A recent update to the CS 727 (2.6) includes a Steam installer which worked fine don't know if the L1011 does or not.

martin88
August 7th, 2015, 11:16
Ok we are talking about 3 Tri Jets now. I am sure Captain Sim has the best model, Tristar Professional I never tried but it looks also good.
I would lie if I said I would not love DC10 and MD11. Since I am a child I am fascinated of those two. Tristar is nice,too but for me not as nice as DC10.

Now I bought the CLS DC10 HD. Very nice model and good flight dynamics. VC looks very nice, nearly every knob is movable.
Only stupid thing is kind of bug: When I make flight preparation, APU is running and all is good. Suddenly every system is going of because there is now elec power anymore. I even have problems starting the engines.
This is very stupid and should be fixed!

Unfortunately it is fact, that CLS is the best DC10 for FSX. Give this DC10 to PMDG for upgrading and in some time we have a real beauty :a1310:

gman5250
August 7th, 2015, 12:09
I've got quite a few hours in the three being discussed here. The MV 737 would be my first choice.

Regarding the new CLS DC-10 HD, it's a good airplane for the money and probably justified on that basis alone. The VAS is pretty hefty and hits my system hard unless I turn down my settings a bunch. I usually OOM when flying a scenario like Flightbeam's KDEN to KSFO. Of course basing my experience on P3Dv2.5 and not Steam.

The CS tubes are always a good purchase across the board.

CG_1976
August 7th, 2015, 13:43
I've had OOM's with the JF/CLS 747HD and DC10when in FSX/SE/P3D combo with FTX PNW/Norcal out of KLAS and on occasion Greenland's BGSF for some oddball reason lol. Other then that no issue's. The CS L1011 is a sweet heart in FSX/SE and P3d. For the OOM FTX happens Entering Norcal or entering PNW/Norcal Border from KLAS.

TeiscoDelRay
August 7th, 2015, 14:07
So no OOM's with the CS L1011?

gman5250
August 7th, 2015, 14:15
None for me in the CS L1011 and I've flown that plane in/out of SFO many times.

Boomer
August 7th, 2015, 17:49
Thanks, great screenshot. How is it on FPS and VAS?

It chugged a little on my last computer usually staying in the high teens (quad core 2.66) but it's smooth as silk on my new one.

martin88
August 8th, 2015, 00:27
Lol I also had an OOM yesterday. I landed in Heathrow (nearly default scenery only two buildings more). I touched down on the runway and suddenly I got some strange graphic pixels and textures disappeared. Then a window opened "your computer run out of available memory bla bla".
This is ridiculous for a plane like the CLS DC10 which is frame rate friendly.

Now I tried to remake this scenario with the Aerosoft A319 which is frame rate unfriendly. I placed the plane at London City and flew just over to Heathrow. I tried it twice, daylight and night. No OOM or anything.

My System should be ok for FSX. i7 3770, 8GB RAM, GTX660 and W8.1. I hope the OOM had something to do with my graphic card driver. I installed the latest this morning because I had some problems the last days

I am honest I am totaly pissed of trying to give the best hardware to Flight Sim. This game is so old and in some points not well programed that you could buy a PC for 3000€ and I bet the damned game still has problems :173go1:

ncooper
August 8th, 2015, 02:50
I think you are right about the most powerful computer still sometimes struggling.
The 4096 MB VAS limit unfortunately has nothing at all to do with the specifications
of the PC and everything to do with the inability of any 32 bit software to access more than
4096MB of VAS in a 64 bit operating system.

Arguably the VAS limit is likely to be more easily reached in a powerful system, as the user
is able to increase the settings and the complexity of the scenery and aircraft without the
inevitable loss of frame rates that a lesser system would suffer.

Frustrating though this is, it is a barrier that cannot be breached and as ever, a compromise is required.

This is without going into the minefield of how certain aircraft, though apparently frame rate friendly,
can often feature massive texture loads and even memory leaks which consume the available VAS at a
very high rate.

b52bob
August 8th, 2015, 06:34
To bad that cs charges you again if you want to upgrade to p3d. I hate that. I paid my money once and don't understand about paying again for something that has probably minor changes.

martin88
August 8th, 2015, 09:18
Just tested it: The CLS DC10 needs about 300 to 400 MB more RAM than the Aerosoft Airbus. This is soo crazy... :dizzy:
Airbus is so complex in textures and flight systems. DC10 is just kind of nice looking default aircraft.

Applause to Aerosoft and their Airbus A318/319!