PDA

View Full Version : steam

b52bob
August 5th, 2015, 18:44
Frustrated. Bought steam fsx but when I go to install steam it says I must be on the internet. I am - with my provider and with att hotspot. Still wont let me do it. shut off uac, re-downladed the program, nothing works. Sent a message to their website a week ago and no response.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Bob

fsafranek
August 5th, 2015, 22:00
Redownload what program? Don't you have to be online with Steam already to download the FSX-SE program? Do you have a Steam shortcut on the desktop? If you look in Task Manager do you see two or three Steam related programs running in the background?

Francois
August 6th, 2015, 01:48
With 'install Steam' you mean the Steam client software itself, or the Steam FSX software?

b52bob
August 6th, 2015, 06:54
The client program gives me the message.

there is nothing in the background that shows me it's running.

bought the program through justflight whose instructions tell to d/l and install the steam client then "add program" and the the serial number.

my fsx in beginning to crash and instead of reinstalling, I want to use fsxse.

i also sent an email to Jf support.

thanks for your help.

flaviossa
August 6th, 2015, 06:59
If you bought it "outside" Steam online shop, you have to go in the option "Games" of steam client menu and select the sub option "Activate a product code". Put your serial key provided by JF there and follow the further steps. That should work :encouragement:

Daveroo
August 6th, 2015, 07:46
If you bought it "outside" Steam online shop, you have to go in the option "Games" of steam client menu and select the sub option "Activate a product code". Put your serial key provided by JF there and follow the further steps. That should work :encouragement:

it should be his original post stated steam is telling him he is not online?..im wondering if there is a setting in steam client thats blocking it from "seeing" the internet on his machine?..

Bjoern
August 6th, 2015, 09:39
Shouldn't the Windows Firewall ask for access for Steam when you first run it?

b52bob
August 6th, 2015, 13:39
Nope, no notification from the firewall. I'm usually good with the computer stuff but this has me stumped.

:dejection::rocket: Idea! Maybe it's my avg antivirus. I'll give that a try

Craig Taylor
August 6th, 2015, 13:42
If I understand the OP correctly, he's trying to install the steam client? Then yes, I think you need to be online to register your account, etc. to get the client up and running. After that, I think you have the option of running it offline and can still access the games in your library.

I can confirm that my own firewall occasionally blocks my steam client from starting up (it's set for automatic on startup) on the highest/tightest security settings. I've had to fiddle with program-level permissions to get them to play nicely together. I have ZoneAlarm Security Extreme.

You might try the Steam support site for clues to your issues. Their FAQs are quite extensive.

Hdguy
August 6th, 2015, 13:54
Kill the AV.. Kill UAC.

I would even run CCleaner, defragg and reboot.

Then just maybe go to Steam and try again. Only add your JF key when prompted...

You can even try in Safe Mode with networking.