PDA

View Full Version : Interesting F-14 airshow HUD

joe bob
August 4th, 2015, 03:15
I find the crew coordination interesting. Easy to think at times that the RIO is flying the plane.
Definitely doesn't fit the subservient player they are normally imagined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzL7RI2-JZ8&list=FLm6TW1otfE2LAnSmu2IoHvw&index=16

ViperPilot2
August 4th, 2015, 12:01
I like to think of the RIO in a Tomcat being like the Flight Engineer on a 727... while the Pilot flies the airplane, the RIO has to deal with all of the Circuit Breakers, work the Radar, fiddle with the COM, XPDR & TACAN, and be an extra set of eyes for the Pilot.

In the first couple minutes of the Video, you hear the RIO say "All Breakers In"; apparently in the early days, there were lots of Electrical issues with Tomcats in the Fleet, and many birds also sat with empty Engine compartments due to lack of TF30 spares.

Great Videos!

Alan :dizzy: :banghead:

joe bob
August 4th, 2015, 16:22
I am thinking this is pretty early on. When the Rio keeps mentioning "devices in, devices out" I am guessing he is referring to the glove vanes?

Victory103
August 4th, 2015, 19:50
Also most of the time the RIO takes care of the comms as well, a feature I hope that is added to a particular payware Tomcat. I can't tell the year, but my initial guess as well for "devices" was the wing glove vanes, as the maneuver flaps should already be retracted at those speeds. Based on the year, that would determine if the mod had been completed to "weld" them shut.