PDA

View Full Version : My first OOM

Roger
August 2nd, 2015, 13:21
So on Friday I had my first oom since receiving my new pc (spec below). I was flying the CLS 747 200 in ORBX Ncal and within 20 minutes had MS report an oom and to restart FsX.

I run FsX in Dx10 with Steve's Fixer and my Nvidia 770 has 2 gig of ram. I don't want to reduce my settings so will upgrading my video card to 4 or 8 gig ram help avoid ooms?

hschuit
August 2nd, 2015, 13:46
Video card memory has nothing to do with FSX/P3D OOMs, there are many things you can do to avoid them like:
- Use a 64bit OS, that gives you ~4Mb VAS memory (vs ~2GB with 32bit)
- Do not use LOD_RADIUS values higher than 4.5
- Do not use TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD values higher than 1024
- Turn down autogen
- Do not switch aircraft with the selection screen, best is to start with a saved flight

Roger
August 2nd, 2015, 14:04
Video card memory has nothing to do with FSX/P3D OOMs, there are many things you can do to avoid them like:
- Use a 64bit OS, that gives you ~4Mb VAS memory (vs ~2GB with 32bit)
- Do not use LOD_RADIUS values higher than 4.5
- Do not use TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD values higher than 1024
- Turn down autogen
- Do not switch aircraft with the selection screen, best is to start with a saved flight

Thanks for the reply!
I already have a 64 bit os (see my sig) and I enjoy my ORBX scenery at TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=6.5 so I guess I'll stick with my single and twins and ignore the big tubes, lol.

flaviossa
August 2nd, 2015, 15:02
I heard (read) that 747 200 (And the DC10) from CLS has an incredible high VAS usage, even more than the ngx. Thatīs might be it.

Roger
August 2nd, 2015, 15:07
Ahhhhh....that's very interesting! Thanks for the information.

fsxar177
August 2nd, 2015, 15:08
Roger,

Best thing I've found, is to download a program that monitors VAS being used. Then monitor that closely. I use Process Explorer (http://download.cnet.com/Process-Explorer/3000-2094_4-10223605.html).

Study this blog post (https://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-oom-and-addon-vas-usage/).

- Joseph

StormILM
August 2nd, 2015, 15:15
Roger, I used to have OOM issues back when I had FS9 & the original CLS DC-10 on my old XP PC. The OOM's were not consistent but I gathered that I was hitting some memory wall of some short between the model & some scenery (that both ate the memory up at the same time). In FSX, I have suffered similar (but separate) OOM & VAS crashes when flying the 737 NGX or the Aerosoft Airbus over very high density scenery. The only way I could cure the issue was to plan on backing off the density settings in game when I planned on flying in/around such scenery.

txnetcop
August 2nd, 2015, 19:23
What Joseph said...is the way to go. Then you can still fly your tubes! You may have to make some trade-offs
Ted

Scratch
August 2nd, 2015, 19:50
I have 16GB of memory and all my flight sims are on one SSD drive. Is there anything different I need to considere other than the good advice listed above?

fsxar177
August 2nd, 2015, 19:53
I have 16GB of memory and all my flight sims are on one SSD drive. Is there anything different I need to considere other than the good advice listed above?

Always consider that some aircraft developers leave A LOT of sloppy code, which can really bog down your setup, regardless.

- Joseph

gman5250
August 2nd, 2015, 20:04
ORBX Norcal has some real heavy hitters in the form of scenery objects that can gobble up your available resources. I used to typically hit the OOM wall on short final into SFO (Flightbeam) in just about any high end aircraft. Nothing against Flightbeam...I'll be getting the new SFO when released.

I can confirm that the CLS DC10 (great plane) hits VAS pretty hard, but turning down your texture setting to 2048 or 1024 (if you can tolerate it) goes a long way to get extended performance from the CLS tubes.

The wind farms surrounding the bay area, and the extremely detailed nature of the scenery require a pre-planning of how you might "spend" your resources. There were a number of conversations on the ORBX site regarding the windfarms, but after I left that group and removed the scenery I did not really follow the updates.

One option is to preplan your SIDS and STARS to avoid the areas containing the animated wind farms around Hayward and other hot spots. I believe there is an option to turn them off...can't remember.

FSX and P3Dv2 I usually turn down my scenery sliders to a more average setting when flying into LAX or SFO and hold my breath...lol. Another approach I use, say between DIA and SFO would be to turn down my settings after climb out and turn them back up (optional) somewhere in the early approach. You might to be able to enjoy your tubes by cheating the system a bit.

Prepar3Dv2
Vegetation shadows receive=off
Special Effects=low or mid
Cloud and terrain shadows=mid range

These help a bunch.

PHo17
August 2nd, 2015, 22:28
It seems to me that not even 64 bit OS is enough for FSX or P3D anymore (i.e. 4 GB VAS isn't enough). FSX is death end but there sure would be demand for a 64 bit P3D.

stansdds
August 3rd, 2015, 02:08
The crux of the OOM problem lies in the fact that FSX is a 32-bit program. You can have 128GB of RAM, but FSX will only address 4GB, regardless. The ultimate solution is a 64-bit flight sim, but until then the best thing to do is to move the scenery sliders to the left. I have heard that the Steam version of FSX does a little better job of managing the virtual address space, so it OOM's less often.

Roger
August 3rd, 2015, 04:11
Thanks for all the replies fellas:ernaehrung004: What i didn't say is that I have had this 'new' pc for 2 years and this was my first oom, so I have done quite well avoiding them. I'll take texture max load down to 1024 or 2048 and try lod radius at 5.5.

Cheers,

Roger.