PDA

View Full Version : BUG's Win 10 wifi sharring

Ickie
July 30th, 2015, 13:48
How do I turn Wi-Fi Sense off?
Further Reading @

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/wi-fi-sense-in-windows-10-yes-it-shares-your-passkeys-no-you-shouldnt-be-scared/

Your very own personal assistant, a better browser... and something called the Start menu.

If you want to disable Wi-Fi Sense, hit the Start button and type "Wi-Fi," and then click "Change Wi-Fi settings." In the settings applet that pops up, click "Manage Wi-Fi settings." From there, you can tweak a variety of settings: you can turn Wi-Fi Sense off; you can disable password sharing with Facebook, Outlook, or Skype; and at the bottom there is a list of your known Wi-Fi networks, where you can opt in and out of password sharing.

If you run a Wi-Fi network and you want to prevent Windows 10 (or Windows Phone) users from sharing the passkey via Wi-Fi Sense, you can add _optout to the end of the network SSID. Microsoft notes that, even if you opt out in this way, "It can take several days for your network to be added to the opted-out list for Wi-Fi Sense."

patful
July 30th, 2015, 14:17
Oof. Why would anyone want to share their WiFi?

manfredc3
July 30th, 2015, 21:50
Turning off wifi sense, and setting the internet connection to "metered" were the first things I changed as soon as Windows 10 finished installing.

Oh, And I turned off that nosy assistant