PDA

View Full Version : Ship conversion

Hooky722
July 29th, 2015, 18:01
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me whats the procedure for converting CFS2 ships to FSX specifically carriers. What does one need and how easy is it?

Thanks,

Hooky

Francois
July 29th, 2015, 23:02
I don't think the question should be 'how EASY is it'..... :-(

Bjoern
July 30th, 2015, 14:18
I guess it's doable if no animations are involved.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/converting-cfs2-models-for-fsx.239368/

Hooky722
July 30th, 2015, 17:49
Thanks for that guys. Animations aren't really an issue as I don't think the models in question have any I was just curious as to whether it was possible to make a cfs2 carrier function in fsx by just converting the model and if retains the cables and such, Or if all that has to be reprogrammed and it's easier to build a model from scratch

Blood_Hawk23
July 30th, 2015, 18:33
cables in CFS2 are part of the CFG file. you would have to do what ever is required for FSX as they are not the same.

Depending on which ships you want to convert, you'll need perms before releasing.

For Collin's you'll want to ask Tom Sanford (Tango_Romeo). I have his email if you need it. Though some have already been done.

For Stuarts Ships, he includes the GMax source files. Stuart is currently the only active CFS2 ship builder that I know of. He is easily reached by PM.

Not sure how to reach Usio for his ships. Check his readme docs for contact info.

Mark Walsh has made some very nice modern ships. I have his email if you need it.

VN navy and ground crew's are lower quality compared to Collin's or Usio. They work great for CFS2 but you might not like them in FSX.

The biggest issue will be the textures and the lower detail of the models. All cfs2 textures are BMP not DDS. Most are 512x512.

If you want to make your own there are a few ways to do it. Use either 3Dmax or GMax. there is also a program called DelftShip. It will make highly detailed models that can be then imported into GMax or any other 3D modeler software. You can get that here...

http://www.delftship.net/DELFTship/index.php

If you want to learn more about 3D modelling contact Milton Shupe or Hairyspin.

Thats about all I've got.

thunder100
July 30th, 2015, 23:36
You can do it diifferently

Good hex editor

Check wether it is a MDL8 ( MDL2 or 610) will not work-->simply search for MDL

Then search for CFS2-->replace with FS90-->UP on FS90 you find RIFF-->Cut everything in front of RIFF (20480 bytes) and save

That is then a model FSX can read

Roland

PS:Of course you then still need to have an FSX compatibel air file and a sim cfg or aircraft cfg( contact points/views) which has the CFS2 readinge AND++ is FSX compatibel( like the fletcher)

PPS:Then the textures look sh.t-->and you have to redo them AND AND AND AND

Hooky722
July 31st, 2015, 07:18
Thanks everyone helpful advice indeed not planning on Releasing anything atm but if it was something within my ability to do I was thinking about asking the vn guys if they would permit a portover of some of their carriers. just wanted to know what was involved first before I put too much time into it many thanks

Hooky

Hooky722
July 31st, 2015, 07:26
Incidentally what is the difference between bmp & dds fformats and isn't there some way of converting an old model to take dds I'm certain I've seen it done with older models before?

DaveB
July 31st, 2015, 07:42
I think you can make FS9 models use DXT5 which is close to dds format. I'm sure I have some dds props on FS9 models in FSX too so you can certainly jiggle things around.:biggrin-new:

ATB
DaveB:)

Blood_Hawk23
July 31st, 2015, 13:12
I think you can make FS9 models use DXT5 which is close to dds format. I'm sure I have some dds props on FS9 models in FSX too so you can certainly jiggle things around.:biggrin-new:

ATB
DaveB:)

DDS textures can be larger than 1024x1024. DXT1-5 is the compiling of the texture (please don't quote me on that). that includes the Alpha cannel and such. I believe DDS are more compressed then BMPs. You can use the BMPs to make DDS textures but it will be limited to what ever the BMP was.

The best way might be to use modelconverterX and import the model into GMax. From there you can add new textures and even add animations if FSX allows for them. I don't know what you would need to recompile the model but a talk with Milton might get you in the right direction.

If you want to do this I'd be willing to help in any way I can.

spatialpro
August 1st, 2015, 03:02
If you want to make your own there are a few ways to do it. Use either 3Dmax or GMax. there is also a program called DelftShip. It will make highly detailed models that can be then imported into GMax or any other 3D modeler software. You can get that here...

http://www.delftship.net/DELFTship/index.php

I second this. It is highly recommend it. I use it to model warships for FS myself.

Hooky722
August 3rd, 2015, 16:57
Hi all,
After experimenting I have managed to get some models to show but when you try to land your aircraft falls straight through as if there is no deck there any suggestions please

Many thanks

Hooky

Hooky722
August 4th, 2015, 08:34
Hi All,

I'd just like to clear something up that someone just mentioned to me in a PM. I want to Stress this is just an EXPERIMENT in the procedure I have NO intention of releasing any of the models without the creators consent. All This is at present an exercise trying to learn/practice the procedure so that if there is a model that I would like to convert and release I can seek permission before asking for something I then can't accomplish. (I think that sentence makes sense?) I just wanted to clear that up folks.

Thanks Again

Hooky

Essex
August 4th, 2015, 11:07
The best thing to do is view the original HMS Ocean and the FSX converted HMS Ocean in Model Converter X. Then replicate the changes, mainly Platforms and attach points.
Are there any decent carriers that Lazarus missed?

Hooky722
August 4th, 2015, 14:39
Are there any decent carriers that Lazarus missed?

If you mean by class were still in need of Eagle R05 Hermes R12 (Although there was a ported ski jump model from the old cfs2 Alphasim days knocking about) Centaur class and maybe a rendition of HMNLS Karel Doorman wouldn't go a miss but that's all I can think of right now if you mean repaints then no I think we covered all the majestic's :jump: