PDA

View Full Version : PMDG DC-6 in sight!

Javis
July 28th, 2015, 19:22
Here's a first video of the PMDG DC-6 and it looks awesome! Well, the VC, that is. No external view yet. And it's the X-Plane version but we FSX DC-6 lovers wouldn't want to miss this, would we ! One of the developers told me that we can expect the FSX version only a very short while after the X-Plane version has been released. There's a long view of the X-Plane scenery first (doesn't look half bad ! ) so if you want to go straight to the office put the time counter at 3.25. It's the bees knees ! :encouragement:

https://youtu.be/HXnUEjgKfcU

Btw, doesn't X-Plane produce VC shadows ??.... If that's true i bet the FSX VC will look even better...

TeiscoDelRay
July 29th, 2015, 01:59
I find it difficult to understand why a dev would prefer to release a premium plane on xbox first. FSX is still number one and most devs develop for that first and pd3 later and maybe xbox at some time. I was really wanting this plane but no release to FSX the first round has put me off PMDG products for now.

henrystreet
July 29th, 2015, 02:14
Here's a first video of the PMDG DC-6 and it looks awesome! Well, the VC, that is. No external view yet. And it's the X-Plane version but we FSX DC-6 lovers wouldn't want to miss this, would we ! One of the developers told me that we can expect the FSX version only a very short while after the X-Plane version has been released. There's a long view of the X-Plane scenery first (doesn't look half bad ! ) so if you want to go straight to the office put the time counter at 3.25. It's the bees knees ! :encouragement:

https://youtu.be/HXnUEjgKfcU

Btw, doesn't X-Plane produce VC shadows ??.... If that's true i bet the FSX VC will look even better...

Here is an X-Plane video for you. This from my secondary computer running an AMD processor. X-Plane even has VC rain effects.

Be sure to watch the clouds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOwtNSJFb5k

CHBTheDoctor
July 29th, 2015, 02:22
I find it difficult to understand why a dev would prefer to release a premium plane on xbox first. FSX is still number one and most devs develop for that first and pd3 later and maybe xbox at some time. I was really wanting this plane but no release to FSX the first round has put me off PMDG products for now.

As far as I understood the PMDG Dev posts, they choose this as a test-bed for X-Plane development, so it was not a commercial decision but more like "we need something apart from our tubeliners, to learn X-Plane"

Personally I will wait for the FSX/Prepar3D Version, I own most iterations of X-Plane but I dont like their flight model:

Fly the default CessnaŽand stomp in full side rudder, then release it to zero.

The X-plane Cessna the oscillates for two or three times, VERY different to the same A2A plane (maximum like a little over swing, then back to straight flight)

My own real plane experience is limited to a german K-13 glider and it did NO oscillation on rudder at all, it was bamm, slip, bamm, back to straight flight

TeiscoDelRay
July 29th, 2015, 02:51
Last time I tried xbox it looked worse than my stock fs9. I wouldn't mind trying it again but wonder if if runs faster than FSX, has better VAS control than FSX, smoother than FSX, or anything better than FSX?

PMDG can experiment with xbox but why not do it after a full FSX release, just does not make any marketing sense to me.

thefrog
July 29th, 2015, 04:07
I thought it was XPlane not X box?

JimmyRFR
July 29th, 2015, 07:16
Really looking forward to the DC-6. Completely plan on flying it within X-Plane, could care less about the eventual FSX/P3D versions. :)

I purchased XP a month or so back on Steam when they had their summer sale - it was 50% off. Picked up the very excellent CZST by Beti X at the same time on Steam, also 50% off. I figured what the heck, not a lot lost if I didn't like it, and I've been wanting to try for awhile.

At the same time, I also decided to blow away my cluttered FSX install, and re-install FSX:Steam Edition. Well... a little fact about Steam is that it tracks your hours spent inside any game/application.... Looking at the two applications inside Steam, it shows 108 hours in X-Plane, and 4 hours in FSX. I purchased X-Plane on June 11th, 2015, so this tells me two things: I spend too much time in simulated flight, and man o man am I ever enjoying X-Plane. :)

It's not all roses to be sure - there are some things done better in FSX, such as weather depiction and VFR ATC, but there are other things that I'm really enjoying, like the incredible amount of recent freeware scenery (some of which is on very much on par with FTX stuff, imo), the rather excellent helicopters complete with decent systems depth, the very good built-in 430/530 with up-to-date navdata, the really decent performance and silky smoothness, oh, and the ability to fly over my house and see it (and my garage) represented in the sim!

It's much like FSX in that it needs serious additions in the way of scenery and some slider adjustments to make it look great, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper to make it look so, and once you do, it's really amazing.

(I was going to list a lack of payware aircraft as a con, but to be honest, I've repeated the process of buying a new aircraft in FSX, putting 10 hours on it, and moving on to the next latest greatest so many times, that the lack of choice isn't really bothering me.)

Have I switched? No. There are plenty of upcoming projects in FSX that I'm looking forward to, and there's still aircraft in FSX that I absolutely adore and will want to spend time with. However, it's perfectly fine to have more than one sim installed. :)

henrystreet
July 29th, 2015, 09:21
Really looking forward to the DC-6. Completely plan on flying it within X-Plane, could care less about the eventual FSX/P3D versions. :)

I purchased XP a month or so back on Steam when they had their summer sale - it was 50% off. However, it's perfectly fine to have more than one sim installed. :)

Amen, my brother of the flightsims.

If you have ever been a part of a cross wind landing in the real world, you know how over generalized it is in FSX world. The same plane/airfield/weather in X-Plane is a dramatically truer experience to real life.

BTW when you can afford it, get SkyMaxx, it makes the weather much better.

Ian Warren
July 29th, 2015, 14:59
Thanks for the HU Jan, I'll wait till the FSX version comes out ... I dose look great, a typical PMDG , I wonder if they may push it for Chrissy time :encouragement:

JimmyRFR
July 29th, 2015, 19:59
Amen, my brother of the flightsims.

If you have ever been a part of a cross wind landing in the real world, you know how over generalized it is in FSX world. The same plane/airfield/weather in X-Plane is a dramatically truer experience to real life.

BTW when you can afford it, get SkyMaxx, it makes the weather much better.

I do have SkyMaxx. It makes the clouds look better, and be not so much of a performance hog, but alas, actual weather do not clouds alone make. :) I find that I really miss ASN, having gotten accustomed to it in FSX.

henrystreet
July 30th, 2015, 04:33
I do have SkyMaxx. It makes the clouds look better, and be not so much of a performance hog, but alas, actual weather do not clouds alone make. :) I find that I really miss ASN, having gotten accustomed to it in FSX.

I've been curious about ASN for a little while. Been using Opus in FSX for a couple of years. In X-Plane, I'm using the real weather METAR download (no custom weather or theme) and am a big fan of the wind buffet effects. Specifically with regards to X-Plane and comparison to ASN weather, what am I missing (that I may not want to miss)?

[EDIT...just saw where HiFi reset all the trial period settings. I can try the ASNsp2 on my dev computer with FSX-SE.]