PDA

View Full Version : "Twist" still doing ok so far....

Navy Chief
July 27th, 2015, 10:24
My Siamese, Twist, seems to be stable for now. Were it not for the fluid injections I give him (4 times, daily), plus anti-nausea medication, I doubt he would survive long. The combination of all the above seems to keep him going. He's on a special canned diet for cats with renal problems, and I never know from day to day if he will eat what I put down. I've resorted to sprinkling Parmesan cheese on his food. That sometimes helps. So far he isn't losing weight, although his muscle mass is decreasing. Day to day. All I can do. :encouragement: NC

I took this picture a little while ago......

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25711&stc=1

StormILM
July 27th, 2015, 11:35
Chief, I went through an episode with my male Siamese Cat (his name is Tracy) back in Oct of 2013. He suddenly began a siege of vomiting which got worse as the next few days went on. He would drink & eat and for a while, he kept the food & water down long enough to get some nourishment from it but then, things reached the point where he stopped eating & drinking water outright (I had held off going to the vet up this that point because I had seen him get sick to his stomach before for a couple to a few days and recover on his own). I knew he was by then in dire straights and I had to get him to an emergency vet. The emergency vet doc evaluated him, did x-rays to check for any blockages in his digestive tract, toxin & virus/bacteria blood screening, etc. They were never able to fully determine what was causing his vomiting but they administered IV fluids and anti-nausea meds which stabilized him pretty quickly. After 24 hours at the emergency vet, I took him home and continued pushing fluids and also feeding him the medicated canned food via a syringe. By this point, he had not eaten any significant food in 5 days and his weight loss was obvious. After another 24 hours of the same regimen, he began to turn the corner and began to eat and drink on his own. I ended up mixing the medicated can food with softened solid food to help boost his appetite & the vet told me to do whatever was needed to boost his interest/appetite to eat. Anyhow, he made a full recovery and nowadays is quite a stout guy! In all truth, having cats and dogs all my life, I've never seen one get as mal-nourished and dehydrated as Tracy was and survive. Sometimes it works out, a lot of times it does not (depending on a number of factors). In my opinion, I will do all humanly possible for them until no more can be done.

I hope with all my heart & soul that Twist makes a full recovery Chief! It will be on my mind to be certain.

BTW, these are photos of Tracy. One where he was still terribly sick when I just brought him home from the Vet (with the IV bandage still on his leg) and the other where he was sitting up next to me not even 72 hours later acting much more like himself.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25712&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25713&stc=1

Navy Chief
July 27th, 2015, 11:55
Thanks for the support, Storm.

Unfortunately, Twist's kidneys are failing. According to the vet, one kidney has totally failed; the other one is working at less than 1/4. But hopefully what I am doing will extend his life some. For now, he has good days, and then an occasional bad one.

He seems happy, and is eating. That's the best I can hope for right now.... NC

Daveroo
July 27th, 2015, 13:39
well one thing is this....Twist has no idea of whats happening..he just knows you are helping him..and he seems to be returning your love.......just keep loving him and caring for him.

Curtis P40
July 27th, 2015, 13:57
Sorry to say, I've been down that road a few times. He's lucky to have a friend like you...