PDA

View Full Version : Fsx bsod

Sundog
July 26th, 2015, 16:01
I hope someone can help, but for about the past week when I try to run FSX, after about a half hour of running, the textures in various sqaures start to turn black and flicker between different variations and the cockpit textures flicker and FSX crashes. Sometimes it goes straight to BSOD and sometimes it goes to the desktop than a BSOD. So far I've seen around five different reasons for the BSOD. My FSX is on it's own external HD and the main drive in the PC I replaced about two months ago and I haven't had any problems until about a week ago.

I tried updating my nVidia drivers, but that didn't help. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe some fans are going in my case and the video card is over heating? I'm just throwing out guesses.

Thanks.

Meshman
July 26th, 2015, 17:04
When's the last time the system had a good cleaning?

I'd look for some temperature monitoring programs and run them while using FSX in windowed mode. I have Real Temp 3.70 start up when booting and can see the read-out in the task bar, as most of my time in in windowed mode.

Hdguy
July 26th, 2015, 17:09
Yup. Sounds GPU heat related to me...

maybe the CPU too ?

gradyhappyg
July 26th, 2015, 17:55
I concur GPU issues are the most likely culprit overheating or just going bad. Try lowering the settings in FSX graphics,traffic,weather and see if it still crashes.

heywooood
July 26th, 2015, 21:18
D/L the newest driver - then go to safe mode and wipe all the installed vid drivers, make sure you get every folder - then install the newest driver - select clean install - in case you missed something you want to overwrite whatever there might be.

then if you still have problems it could be the GPU and it could be the PSU and it could be the mobo

but always make certain of the drivers first

Sundog
July 27th, 2015, 15:23
Thanks guys. I'll check all of those suggestions out. BTW, I'm on Win7, but will wiping the vid drivers out be like this (https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/enter-safe-mode-uninstall-graphics-card-driver-window-8/)?

heywooood
July 27th, 2015, 17:46
Thanks guys. I'll check all of those suggestions out. BTW, I'm on Win7, but will wiping the vid drivers out be like this (https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/enter-safe-mode-uninstall-graphics-card-driver-window-8/)?

I am using win7 and have never needed to do the advanced boot legacy deal...

just start up in safe mode and follow the directions from that point - then when you restart - in the start button "Search all Programs and Files - type nvidia and then delete all those files and folders if any still exist - then restart in safe mode and install the latest nvidia driver using the 'clean' install option -

expat
July 28th, 2015, 03:52
Understand the heat and GPU theories for blue screens, but never got why a newer driver would fix this. How can a driver, which when it first came out was then the "new" driver, and therefore the solution to this very problem, later on then become the cause of it? I can understand how the breaker points on my old car burn out and need to be changed but why would a bit of software programming be fine one day but "break" or malfunction later?

What would cause drivers over time to "deteriorate" or go bad? NB: I have read so many times excited announcements here - and there - about a newly issued Nvidia driver followed by comments that a) fps didn't improve (or was now worse) and b) problems necessitating a roll back to the older driver. I have kept the shipped drivers in my 18 month old GTX 780 because of this and because they work. Most of the things "fixed" by newly issued drivers are never to help FSX but some other teenager-ish game. My curmudgeonly 2 cents!:untroubled:

Jafo
July 28th, 2015, 04:54
Understand the heat and GPU theories for blue screens, but never got why a newer driver would fix this. How can a driver, which when it first came out was then the "new" driver, and therefore the solution to this very problem, later on then become the cause of it? I can understand how the breaker points on my old car burn out and need to be changed but why would a bit of software programming be fine one day but "break" or malfunction later?

What would cause drivers over time to "deteriorate" or go bad? NB: I have read so many times excited announcements here - and there - about a newly issued Nvidia driver followed by comments that a) fps didn't improve (or was now worse) and b) problems necessitating a roll back to the older driver. I have kept the shipped drivers in my 18 month old GTX 780 because of this and because they work. Most of the things "fixed" by newly issued drivers are never to help FSX but some other teenager-ish game. My curmudgeonly 2 cents!:untroubled:

And you are right.
Updating drivers is only useful IF [big IF] you have issues with an existing DRIVER [not hardware] or if the update provides documented improvements to a game [or program] you actually use.

One thing that just MAY help at times is [again documented] fixes for software-controlled graphic card cooling - which is not an issue with the OP as previously things were OK.

The best assumptions are to be had with 'something' stealing resources whilst FSX-playing, or deterioration over time...likely mechanical cooling [dust] or just possibly the external hard drive interface [never ideal running any game/proggy from within].

Modern NVidia driver installs are pretty painless [read 'idiot-proof'] and shouldn't need all the jumping through hoops associated with the origins of graphic cards with memory address conflicts et al.

I used to really hold off on updating graphic drivers....6 months or more behind generally...but these days it's never a real worry to keep up. But it's always best served by "if it ain't broke..." ...;)

Sundog
July 28th, 2015, 09:58
I ran real temp and it isn't over heating. Everything else I have runs fine on my PC. Although, I'll play Rocksmith tonight to see if I have a problem, just to be sure. But after about 20 minutes of running flight simulator, I get the BSOD. I also get intermittent flashes from the textures the longer it goes on. Then it will just sort of lockup then crash and other times it just crashes straight to BSOD. Is there a way to tell definitively if it's the GPU? This is a seven year old system I built and the vc is an nVidia GTX 275.

It might be time to build that new Win10 system so I can run FSX while I work in going to Prepar3d.

Sundog
August 8th, 2015, 13:31
Just for reference, it seems to happen after about an hour of flying. This is the code, if anyone can decipher it;
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 24
BCP1: 00000000001904FB
BCP2: FFFFF8800B0AA988
BCP3: FFFFF8800B0AA1E0
BCP4: FFFFF80003043F44
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\080815-38360-01.dmp
C:\Users\Ken\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-43196-0.sysdata.xml

lownslo
August 8th, 2015, 14:31
Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\080815-38360-01.dmp
C:\Users\Ken\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-43196-0.sysdata.xml

Use Blue Screen View to read the .dmp file. It should tell you what is crashing your computer.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

HTH

Greg

Sundog
August 8th, 2015, 16:00
Thanks. It seems most of the crashes are due to "NT Kernal & Systems." The file names highlit in pink are Ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe. Is there a way to fix that?

Dumonceau
August 8th, 2015, 22:51
Thanks. It seems most of the crashes are due to "NT Kernal & Systems." The file names highlit in pink are Ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe. Is there a way to fix that?

You'll have to do a windows repair, booting from the installation disk I'm afraid.

EDIT: here is a good link about your problem: http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/211064-ntoskrnl-exe-ntfs-sys-etc-having-bsods-year-half.html

(http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/211064-ntoskrnl-exe-ntfs-sys-etc-having-bsods-year-half.html)And another one: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2016930/bsod-caused-ntsf-sys-ntoskrnl-exe.html

Johan

Sundog
August 10th, 2015, 20:06
Thanks for all of the help guys, I finally figured out that the main problem is bad memory; not mine the PC's, though it ain't what it used to be. ;)

My PC is between 7 and 8 years old and I already replaced the HD a few months ago. I may try getting new Memory and attempting Dumonceau's recommendation, but I think it's time to finally get a new system. This is what I'm looking at, let me know if you see any show stoppers or upgrades I should go for as I'll also want this system to run Prepar3d as well as FSX;

Gamer Paladin Z840

<tbody>
Case
1 x Thermaltake Urban T81 Full Tower Gaming Case

LED Fan Lighting
1 x 3x [White] Thermaltake Riing 12 Series High Static Pressure LED 120mm Fan

iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction
1 x Advanced - iBUYPOWER Harmony SRS Sound Reduction System - Improved Airflow Silent Fans

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion
1 x [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System

Processor
1 x Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (4x 4.0GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - Intel® Core™ i7-6700K

Processor Cooling
1 x Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1150] - Standard 120mm Fan

Memory
1 x 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-2800 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand

Video Card
1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 - 4GB - Single Card

Motherboard
1 x Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 -- 1x PCIe x16, 4x USB 3.0, 1x M.2

Power Supply
1 x 700 Watt - Standard - *Free Upgrade to 800W Standard

Primary Hard Drive
1 x 240 GB Intel 535 Series SSD -- Read: 540MB/s, Write: 490MB/s - Single Drive

Data Hard Drive
1 x 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD -- Read: 540MB/s, Write: 520MB/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive
1 x LG 12x Blu-ray Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - FREE Upgrade to LG 14x Blu-ray Re-Writer

Sound Card
1 x ASUS Xonar DGX -- 5.1 Channels, 96KHz/24-bit

Network Card
1 x Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card

USB Expansion Card
1 x PCI-Express USB 3.0 Expansion Card (2x External Port + 1x Header)

Operating System
1 x Windows 10 Pro + Office 365 Trial [Free 30-Day !!!] 64-bit - *Newest Microsoft Windows*

Additional Software
1 x Microsoft Office 2013 Home and Business - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Outlook included

Keyboard
1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard

Mouse
1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse

Advanced Build Options
1 x Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound - The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks

Advanced Build Options
1 x iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System - Protect your investment during transportation!

Warranty
1 x 3 Year Standard Warranty Service

Rush Service
1 x No Rush Service (Usually Ships in 5-10 business Days)

</tbody>