PDA

View Full Version : I've been working on a T-Hanger Scenery Object...

rdaniell
July 26th, 2015, 14:12
....but alas; I won't be uploading it any time soon :banghead:. Apparently it has too many details or something as MCX will not :pop4: compile the .dae into a .bgl. I've spent many hours working on the thing. It has bar joists and everything....That's probably why it won't compile. I've had this happen before with some grass objects I was trying to make. I am going to substitute beams for the bar joists. Maybe it will compile then.

RD

rdaniell
July 26th, 2015, 14:59
I took out all of the bar joists with exception of the ones over the front openings. I also just used a texture for the inside ceiling. This time it compiled :wiggle: .
I just checked it out in FSX and I noticed a few places where I missed :dizzy: applying texture to some of the columns.

It is my intention to upload this object sometime this week.

RD

roger-wilco-66
July 26th, 2015, 18:23
If you want I could import it in 3dsmax and compile it with the sdk tools from there! Also, check your texture maps. They should be squared or to the power of 2 aspect ratio (e.g. 512x512 or 256x512), but you probably know that.

Edit: just saw that you want a bgl, it is better so save it as mdl in mcx and built the library with arnos library tool!

Cheers,
Mark

Lane Street
July 26th, 2015, 20:20
Edit: just saw that you want a bgl, it is better so save it as mdl in mcx and built the library with arnos library tool!

Due respect, there is no difference between compiling to a .bgl with MCX and compiling to an .mdl and then using Library Creator XML.

The latter requires an extra step than MCX does automatically in the former.

The former limits you to one object per .bgl whereas using LC XML allows you to put multiple objects in the same .bgl.

Other than that the two processes are identical. MCX does what LC XML does, only it does it silently, in the background.

cheers,
Lane

Daveroo
July 26th, 2015, 20:33
i wish i knew what yall are tawkin bout.......:sorrow:

Duckie
July 26th, 2015, 20:44
Randy, you are forcing me to take another look at Peach State! :biggrin-new: That small GA hanger you just uploaded and the T-Hangar would look better than the ones I used!

Looks good. I want it. :encouragement:

falcon409
July 26th, 2015, 21:22
Due respect, there is no difference between compiling to a .bgl with MCX and compiling to an .mdl and then using Library Creator XML.
The latter requires an extra step than MCX does automatically in the former.
The former limits you to one object per .bgl whereas using LC XML allows you to put multiple objects in the same .bgl.
Other than that the two processes are identical. MCX does what LC XML does, only it does it silently, in the background.
cheers,
Lane
Compiling to an mdl is efficient if your working a large project. If you're doing an airfield with more than 3 or 4 objects, building a library bgl just makes it easier to keep things organized. Less than 3 and it's more likely individual bgl's will serve you better. . .easier to work with. I've done a few sceneries where the object count got away from me and I ended up with 10 to 15 separate bgl's lol. If I had released it I probably would have gone back and built a library instead.

roger-wilco-66
July 26th, 2015, 21:36
Seems like everyone has his own approaches. I always work with structured libraries, but I usually have a ton of objects.

But this discussion is OT. My suggestion would be to save the original model as mdl in mcx and check the xtomdl error log, maybe you get a hint why it does not compile.

I don't know if MCX is verbose enough in the .x / XML step prior to generating the bgl to identify the error the OP is encountering.

Cheers,
Mark

Cees Donker
July 26th, 2015, 22:20
Interesting discussion! I use the same approach as Mark does, but then I also use a lot of objects!

:wavey:

Cees

rdaniell
July 27th, 2015, 06:35
Thanks for the advice, compliments, and suggestions. I prefer to compile a single .bgl for my projects. I keep each object in a separate folder, with discreet name. These folders have scenery and texture sub-folders. I find that approach easier for me should I want to use the object in another scenery project.

What works for me may not work for everyone but, I'm happy with my methods.

Seeing as MCX compiled this object after my revision of it, sorta implies to me that my initial observation is most likely the correct one regarding why MCX didn't compile it originally. I just got carried away with detail. Bottom line is this: I expect that most of you'll are like me when it comes to scenery objects; I don't usually drive around looking leisurely at them.

RD

rdaniell
July 27th, 2015, 07:45
...with this project. It looks to be a bit too high but, that can be adjusted by the individual user with the placement tool elevation parameter.

RD

Obie311
July 27th, 2015, 09:30
Compiling to an mdl is efficient if your working a large project. If you're doing an airfield with more than 3 or 4 objects, building a library bgl just makes it easier to keep things organized. Less than 3 and it's more likely individual bgl's will serve you better. . .easier to work with. I've done a few sceneries where the object count got away from me and I ended up with 10 to 15 separate bgl's lol. If I had released it I probably would have gone back and built a library instead.

Randy has so many nice objects built now that I'd like to compile them into a library. What tool is best for this? I tried Library Creator XML but it wanted to see the .mdl files. Is there a tool that could compile the separate .bgl's into a Library?

rdaniell
July 27th, 2015, 10:10
Randy has so many nice objects built now that I'd like to compile them into a library. What tool is best for this? I tried Library Creator XML but it wanted to see the .mdl files. Is there a tool that could compile the separate .bgl's into a Library?

Obie, thanks for the compliment. You have my permission to do this but, I can't help you with .mdls as I don't have any. I compiled all my projects directly to .bgls from the .dae file.

You might try using MCX to convert the .bgl to a .mdl file. Just a thought.

RD

rdaniell
July 27th, 2015, 10:13
....I have just uploaded this scenery object. I hope all who download it will enjoy using it in their scenery projects.

RD