PDA

View Full Version : Sea Hurricane Seafire?

Cees Donker
July 22nd, 2015, 21:15
Trying to improve my deck landing skills I'm searching for these two planes: a Sea Hurricane and a Seafire.

Any suggestions?

:wavey:

Cees

DaveB
July 23rd, 2015, 00:23
Hi Cees:wavey:

The only bonafide Sea Hurricane I can recall was by Sky Unlimited. It was FS9/FSX but pre-SP's and if my memory serves correct.. it didn't like SP2/Acc much so got left in FS9.

As for a SeaFire.. the only 'proper' one I can remember was by AH. I'm sure it got released as freeware. I had a look at it recently but let it go back from whence it came.

Is it WWII era you're looking at for your carrier practice or would something later do? Payware.. both the VS Avenger and Dauntless are good period carrier models.. the Dauntless in particular is very slow and forgiving.. easy to trap. The Avenger should be a pig due to it's size but it isn't. Neither nose-over and the fwd view is unrestricted enough to let you see the carrier (always important):biggrin-new:

Slightly later.. Rob Richardson's Sea Vampire (as opposed to the Venom) is an excellent trainer for jet carrier ops. Excellent low speed handling and view out make it a winner. Also from Rob's stable (and slightly later) the Gannet AEW3.. an excellent carrier model too with the same sure footed low speed handling and excellent visibility. You shouldn't miss a wire in either.. nor the two VS models above for that matter.

I'm sure there are a lot more good models out there and I probably either have them or have tried them but these 4 in particular stand out as being easy to trap due to their excellent vis out and low speed handling. Once you get used to these.. try the others.. the ones that need to have the correct fuel weight and have restricted view out;)

EDIT: You can always add tail hook and launch assist entries to pretty much any model you have (the JF Hurricane or RA Spit for example.. both of which have Sea Hurricane and SeaFire paints) and pretend you're in the real thing.

ATB
DaveB:)

Cees Donker
July 23rd, 2015, 00:49
Thanks Dave! Great suggestions! I have some of the mentioned planes. The MAAMSIM Avenger, the CWDT Hellcat and the Vertigo Dauntless are present in my stable, but I really would like a Sea Hurricane and a Seafire
I tried the AH fs2004 Hurricane , but there are no textures covering the inside of the VC and that's a pity! Otherwise it's a perfect plane! I found a version of a Seafire by A.F.Scrub that will do for now.

Cees

huub vink
July 23rd, 2015, 01:11
Cees,

Although I have never tried, but perhaps Robert Sanderson's very nice FS2004 Sea Hurricane works in FSX.

Cheers,
Huub

Cees Donker
July 23rd, 2015, 01:45
Cees,

Although I have never tried, but perhaps Robert Sanderson's very nice FS2004 Sea Hurricane works in FSX.

Cheers,
Huub

I searched for this one, it is gone. Nowhere to be found?

Cees

DaveB
July 23rd, 2015, 01:48
That's a thought Huub..

In the meantime Cees.. add the JF Hurricane to the list. Sadly.. it's 'Sans visible hook' but it's a stable enough model at low speed to make a good alternative. You need a couple of clicks down with the view to get the nose out of the way but on full flap.. 89kts and at default FS load.. she floats down like a baby:encouragement:

Seen here after a greaser on HMS Ocean wearing the lovely 7L paint by our very own Nick Bradin (available in the library)..
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/7L.jpg

http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/7L2.jpg

EDIT: no need for launch assistance either. Leave the flaps down and she takes off like a Stringbag!!
ATB

DaveB
July 23rd, 2015, 02:35
I searched for this one, it is gone. Nowhere to be found?

Cees

Found it Cees.. check your PM's;)
ATB

JensOle
July 23rd, 2015, 02:50
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?82753-quot-Seafire-Mk-L-III-quot&highlight=Seafire

DaveB
July 23rd, 2015, 03:38
This one requires rather more finesse Cees..
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/raseafire.jpg
:mixed-smiley-010:

ATB

JensOle
July 23rd, 2015, 03:40
But that is a very realistic landing for a sesfire, justlike in real life..

Cees Donker
July 23rd, 2015, 03:45
LOL!

:applause::applause:

Cees

Dave, the ships you're using here, that's with AI carriers?

Cees

DaveB
July 23rd, 2015, 04:41
Yes mate. They're all shown using AICarriers.net (the non-Java version). Some of the ships are from here in the FSX Ships library or from Simviation under FSX/Misc. The vast majority are ex-CFS2 models converted to FSX (the downloads are already converted models) and they come with all fx files as necessary. The carriers are all 'wired up' and for the most part, have cats too:) My boats folder is currently the size of a telephone directory!:biggrin-new:

EDIT: Here's a link to AICarriers.net (scroll down the first thread - by the author - and you'll see the download link) http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11293.0.html. It works in exactly the same way as the Java version (AFAIK) but uses the Microsoft net framework instead (which most of us will have anyway). If you already have Java installed.. I guess you could go for the Java version (AICarriers2) but I removed Java after an update disrupted my rig.

ATB

glh
July 23rd, 2015, 07:07
Robert Sanderson's Sea Hurricane (for FS2004) is at Simviation. Go to the home page, enter "Sanderson" in
the Search box and scroll down.

There's a few others people might want, too. He did some excellent modelling here.

Paul Domingue
July 23rd, 2015, 07:24
The royal french navy has a seafire listed on their site. It's a portover and I don't know much about it but it looks good.

Desert Rat
July 23rd, 2015, 07:34
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=205&sort=d&page=12&pp=20

Cees Donker
July 23rd, 2015, 10:49
Thanks all, got it working. Enjoying myself!

Cees

Cees Donker
July 23rd, 2015, 20:44
Hi Cees:wavey:

The only bonafide Sea Hurricane I can recall was by Sky Unlimited. It was FS9/FSX but pre-SP's and if my memory serves correct.. it didn't like SP2/Acc much so got left in FS9.

I recalled having the SU Hurricane package. I checked: there's no Sea Hurricane in the package. But I was surprised: it flies really well in FSX, the only flaw being the prop disc that makes scenery dissapear....... (and that alas remains a flaw in the 2.0 version, presented as fit for FSX........)

Cees

DaveB
July 24th, 2015, 00:23
Ahh.. rgr that Cees. I know there was a '7L' paint done for it so presumed it went on a Sea Hurricane.. its been a long time:banghead: Not sure if I had v2.. it was probably v1. I remember the machine guns going all the time in FSX if the gauge wasn't commented out!!

ATB

harrybasset
July 24th, 2015, 01:09
Thanks Dave! Great suggestions! I have some of the mentioned planes. The MAAMSIM Avenger, the CWDT Hellcat and the Vertigo Dauntless are present in my stable, but I really would like a Sea Hurricane and a Seafire
I tried the AH fs2004 Hurricane , but there are no textures covering the inside of the VC and that's a pity! Otherwise it's a perfect plane! I found a version of a Seafire by A.F.Scrub that will do for now.

Cees

I installed the Aeroplane Heaven Hurricane and found the VC to be incomplete. There is a set of textures available which includes the missing VC items. I added them to the AH textures I wanted to use and I now have a complete Hurricane. I can't remember which texture set it was, it may have been for BE505.

Cees Donker
July 24th, 2015, 04:43
I installed the Aeroplane Heaven Hurricane and found the VC to be incomplete. There is a set of textures available which includes the missing VC items. I added them to the AH textures I wanted to use and I now have a complete Hurricane. I can't remember which texture set it was, it may have been for BE505.
If you can tell me what textures I'm missing I'd be a happy camper!

Cees

harrybasset
July 24th, 2015, 05:29
I looked inside the AH texture folders. To me they seemed to have only a few textures when compared to the folder I downloaded. I added the additional texture items into the originals and eventually ended up with a complete VC. Sorry this is a bit vague but I was just experimenting. I had added the additional skin into my Hurricane installation and it was the only one with VC details so I compared and added what I thought were the missing items.

Cees Donker
July 24th, 2015, 06:00
Harry,

I found the BE505. It is a standalone conversion of the AH Hurricane package. Alas

Cees

Cees Donker
July 24th, 2015, 13:17
Thanks Harry! Got it working now! Let 's see if the contactpoints need editing!

Cees

Desert Rat
July 24th, 2015, 13:37
Cees, if you need the FS2004 AH seafire, I'm pretty sure I have it archived, give me a shout if you want me to stick it in the post for you.

Cees Donker
July 24th, 2015, 13:51
Ah, thanks Jamie! I got everything I wanted. We've got some helpful people here at the Outhouse!
But landing with these planes on a deck is nearly impossible, so I've got some tinkering to do!

Cees

Cees Donker
July 28th, 2015, 08:10
Ah, thanks Jamie! I got everything I wanted. We've got some helpful people here at the Outhouse!
But landing with these planes on a deck is nearly impossible, so I've got some tinkering to do!

Cees

Well, as long as I don't use the hook I'm okay! Just made a nice greased landing!

Cees

DaveB
July 28th, 2015, 08:34
Well done that man!:encouragement:

ATB

Cees Donker
July 28th, 2015, 11:33
This is a nice one to fly! And she hooks up nicely!

:wiggle:

Cees

Cees Donker
July 28th, 2015, 11:49
Thanks for the FDE update StormILM! And thanks Harry for mentioning the update! And off course Dave for all the support!

I'm getting the hang of it!

:very_drunk:

Cees

DaveB
July 28th, 2015, 12:30
Cees..

Have you got your hands on AICarriers yet (either version)? P L E A S E give it a go.. you won't regret it:encouragement:
ATB

delta_lima
July 28th, 2015, 12:49
Cees..

Have you got your hands on AICarriers yet (either version)? P L E A S E give it a go.. you won't regret it:encouragement:
ATB

Can't agree more. Design carrier (or any kind of ship) formations from any of your existing AI ships, add plane guard helos, in about as much time as it's taken to type this. No messing with timetables, schedules, watches, and astrolabes waiting/hoping for your carrier to show up right when you want to come aboard.

Spawn your personalised carrier / shipping formations whenever / wherever you are - on demand. Sheer brilliance for when you just don't have time to hunt around for the boat. Stop, advance, and turn your formation at will, delete and load another immediately. Once installed, you only ever have to edit 1 .cfg if you want to add / edit your carrier formations. No harder than editing an aircraft.cfg to add a repaint. If you plan to do carrier flying in FSX, it's a must have.

DL

Cees Donker
July 29th, 2015, 22:25
Cees..

ATB

I've got it! A few days now. I'm making a lot of progres with my landings. Great program! It loads as I start up FSX! Been only flying carrier approaches since then!

Cees

DaveB
July 30th, 2015, 05:17
Excellent:applause:

Next to FSNavigator for FS9.. I think AICarriers deserves the 'Best program EVER' award!! Glad you're enjoying it Cees:encouragement:
ATB

Cees Donker
July 31st, 2015, 04:58
I agree 100 % with that!

:applause:

Cees

DaveB
July 31st, 2015, 05:32
The Skyhawk is a lovely carrier model isn't it.. even without mal's FD update. Stable (for something with little or no wings!) on approach and easy to control the power. You can see where you're going too which I always find helps!!:biggrin-new: It's cat takeoff profile is good too;)

I can see you posting shots in the Superbug next!:encouragement:
ATB

Cees Donker
August 1st, 2015, 08:09
WOW! (Dave, the superbug will have to wait!)

:jump:

Cees

Dumonceau
August 1st, 2015, 08:18
WOW! (Dave, the superbug will have to wait!)

Cees

Hi Cees,

What Phantom is that?

Cheers,

Johan

Cees Donker
August 1st, 2015, 09:22
Hi Cees,

What Phantom is that?

Cheers,

Johan

Johan,

That's the Alphasim Phantom II (with an 'Airfix' repaint). I fell i love with it, I had the model when I was a kid.

Cees

Cees Donker
August 2nd, 2015, 12:25
Need more practise (still).

:biggrin-new:

Cees

DaveB
August 2nd, 2015, 12:36
:biggrin-new:

That's another nice model Cees:encouragement: I've been out in a few myself this evening.. Superbug, Scimitar (need to add launch assist to this one.. got down and couldn't take off!!) and about to take the Sea Vixen up.

BTW.. if you ever notice AICarriers isn't in your drop-down in FSX (AICarriers.net version).. something in the last flight may have tripped it up. Look in your systray and you'll see it running. Exit it, close down the sim then restart and it'll be back again. First time I had this happen, I panicked and feared I'd lost it. Took a while but I found it active in the systray when FSX wasn't open. Closed it, started the sim and back to normal;) Had it happen this evening (again) after I'd had a BEX error when closing the previous session so thought I'd mention it. Not sure this applies to the Java version.
ATB

Cees Donker
August 2nd, 2015, 22:23
Yup, had the same problem. I alway check what's running after a failure of some sort. I guess that's the Skysim Sea Vixen you're taking for a spin?

Cees

DaveB
August 3rd, 2015, 08:32
Ohhh yes:encouragement:
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/vixen4643.jpg

ATB

Cees Donker
August 3rd, 2015, 13:35
Bummer that Skysim is out of business!

:kilroy:

Cees

Cees Donker
August 7th, 2015, 01:43
But I have adapted the Alphasim Vixen to FSX. Using the gauges of the Alphasim Sea Venom I'm almost there. Made a landing while testing!

Cees

DaveB
August 7th, 2015, 01:59
hahahahaha:encouragement:

I bought that version when it came out and for all it's faults.. I still loved it because I wanted a Sea Vixen that much!!! The flight model for the Demon isn't bad.. in fact I loaded it up yesterday for practise on Constellation so whatever you borrowed from it won't do the Alpha SV any harm;) As I remember.. there were rather more repaints done for the Alpha model than there were for the Skysim model (perhaps because there was actually a PK for the Alpha model!!!). A darned shame Skysim went under but with only 2 models on sale for the last 'X' years and no sign of anything new.. it's not a good recipe for success. It'd be nice if someone, somewhere at Skysim could sell the 2 models on to a third party for continued sale though I can't see that happening.

ATB

Cees Donker
August 7th, 2015, 02:37
hahahahaha:encouragement:

I bought that version when it came out and for all it's faults.. I still loved it because I wanted a Sea Vixen that much!!! The flight model for the Demon isn't bad.. in fact I loaded it up yesterday for practise on Constellation so whatever you borrowed from it won't do the Alpha SV any harm;) As I remember.. there were rather more repaints done for the Alpha model than there were for the Skysim model (perhaps because there was actually a PK for the Alpha model!!!). A darned shame Skysim went under but with only 2 models on sale for the last 'X' years and no sign of anything new.. it's not a good recipe for success. It'd be nice if someone, somewhere at Skysim could sell the 2 models on to a third party for continued sale though I can't see that happening.

ATB

That would be great.......I'd by it immediately.

Cees

DaveB
August 7th, 2015, 04:08
That's not too restrictive a view from the old Alpha model but I think they got it wrong in a number of areas. The centre pillar isn't a thick piece of metal with screws either side as they show there.. the glass is actually laminated on the centre join and bolted in place around the edges. It's not much but every little helps when you're trying to see a very small aircraft carrier! The default view out of the Skysim model is a bit less restrictive..
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/svixview.jpg
I think the bar Brian put down the centreline is probably a 'blind' runner.. the blind can be pulled up from around the base of the windshield.
EDIT: Having looked at this a little more, the centre spine is almost certainly the rain 'getridofer' (new word) which is on the outside. It looks really big on the outside but inside.. it's next to nothing and doesn't obstruct the field of vision.
ATB

Cees Donker
August 9th, 2015, 03:26
Like a swan.......

Cees

DaveB
August 9th, 2015, 03:46
You're giving yourself too much to aim at there Cees though there's nothing wrong with having as much to land on as possible!!:biggrin-new:

ATB

DaveB
August 9th, 2015, 04:26
Here you go Cees.. lots of things to aim at but all markedly smaller than Nimitz!!

http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/tc1.jpg
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/tc2.jpg
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/tc3.jpg

[formation.XX]
title=Korean TG
unit.0=USS_CV-21_Boxer, -400, 400
unit.1=USS_CV-45_Valley_Forge_1950, 400, 400
unit.2=HMS_Belfast_1950, 0, 1600
unit.3=USS_DD724_Laffey, 1200, 0
unit.4=HMS_Ocean_1950, 0, 0
unit.5=USS_DD777_Zellers, -1200, 0
unit.6=USS Mispillion AO-105 FX, 400, -400
unit.7=HMS_C_class_DD, -400, -400
unit.8=USS_DD774_Huge_W_Hadley, 0, -1200

Three carriers in the group so you can trap and launch going from one to the other. All the ships are available here or Simviation with the exception of the oiler Mispillion (which is just visible). This is a driveable version converted for AI. It's a tad heavy on FR's but is one of the few (perhaps the only) oilers of this period. The old Alpha Tigercat stands up quite well in FSX doesn't it.
ATB

Cees Donker
August 9th, 2015, 09:20
Nice!

Put her down on something smaller!

Cees

Cees Donker
August 10th, 2015, 07:47
Here you go Cees.. lots of things to aim at but all markedly smaller than Nimitz!!

http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/tc1.jpg
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/tc2.jpg
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/tc3.jpg

[formation.XX]
title=Korean TG
unit.0=USS_CV-21_Boxer, -400, 400
unit.1=USS_CV-45_Valley_Forge_1950, 400, 400
unit.2=HMS_Belfast_1950, 0, 1600
unit.3=USS_DD724_Laffey, 1200, 0
unit.4=HMS_Ocean_1950, 0, 0
unit.5=USS_DD777_Zellers, -1200, 0
unit.6=USS Mispillion AO-105 FX, 400, -400
unit.7=HMS_C_class_DD, -400, -400
unit.8=USS_DD774_Huge_W_Hadley, 0, -1200

Three carriers in the group so you can trap and launch going from one to the other. All the ships are available here or Simviation with the exception of the oiler Mispillion (which is just visible). This is a driveable version converted for AI. It's a tad heavy on FR's but is one of the few (perhaps the only) oilers of this period. The old Alpha Tigercat stands up quite well in FSX doesn't it.
ATB
DaveB

Dave,

Where did you get the USS Mispillion? BTW: the Hadley didn't show up at first. It's 'Hugh' not 'Huge'. Took me a while :biggrin-new:.

Cees

glh
August 10th, 2015, 07:56
Cees:

You have got to learn how to use Google. I Googled "USS Mispillion ship model" and this thread popped up.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?40011-USS-Mispillion-AO-105-install-issues-in-FSX

Cees Donker
August 10th, 2015, 07:59
Cees:

You have got to learn how to use Google. I Googled"USS Mispillion ship model" and this thread popped up.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?40011-USS-Mispillion-AO-105-install-issues-in-FSX

I know that, but the link mentioned in that thread is dead. That is the download link at Shipyards. So.......

:173go1:

Cees

DaveB
August 10th, 2015, 08:20
Give me a second Cees and I'll upload it for you. Sorry about the typo.. I noticed that I had 2 Zellers and at the last minute.. changed it to Hadley.. obviously TOO fast!!

Two tics;)
ATB

DaveB
August 10th, 2015, 08:24
HERE (http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/mispillion.zip) you go;)

I've left all the 'air' bits in there so you should be able to sail it too should you wish:encouragement:
ATB

Cees Donker
August 10th, 2015, 09:21
HERE (http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/mispillion.zip) you go;)

I've left all the 'air' bits in there so you should be able to sail it too should you wish:encouragement:
ATB

Thanks Dave! Thanks for all the help and inspiration. Thanks to you I'm having a great time flying in FSX with trapping planes and tinkering with AIcarriers.

Cees

DaveB
August 10th, 2015, 10:21
Think nothing of it mate;)

There are many very talented people residing here and I'm often humbled by the amount of knowledge and expertise they show. If I can help in some small way by pointing someone in the right direction or by offering advice.. I'm more than happy to do so.. especially when it comes to ships:encouragement:

ATB

glh
August 10th, 2015, 14:08
I know that, but the link mentioned in that thread is dead. That is the download link at Shipyards. So.......

:173go1:

Cees

My bad. I did not follow the link thru at Shipyards. Allow me to remove foot from my mouth and apologize.:dizzy:

DaveB
August 10th, 2015, 14:14
It's not easy to find a 'live' version.. unless you're lucky!! Can't remember where I got it from in the end but I spent a lot of time bouncing from link to link to link:dizzy:

If I suffer a HD failure in future.. I know Cees has a copy now:biggrin-new:
ATB

rohan
August 10th, 2015, 21:49
It's not easy to find a 'live' version.. unless you're lucky!! Can't remember where I got it from in the end ...
Search for Mispillion at www.flightsim.com (http://www.flightsim.com) ...

:encouragement:

Cees Donker
August 11th, 2015, 13:02
My bad. I did not follow the link thru at Shipyards. Allow me to remove foot from my mouth and apologize.:dizzy:

Oh well, that's allright. I appreciate that you tried to point me in the right direction.

Cees

Cees Donker
August 20th, 2015, 22:13
Ohhh yes:encouragement:
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/vixen4643.jpg

ATB

I have this shot as my desktop wallpaper.....:biggrin-new:

Cees

BTW: I studied on the SDK: the Impact Damage Threshold is a very guiding, or misleading, factor. A plane can survive almost any impact at 3000, but is very hard to keep whole at 1700.

Cees Donker
August 21st, 2015, 00:30
Great addons! Having a lot of fun with these! Payware quality!

:applause::applause:

Cees

Cees Donker
August 30th, 2015, 06:12
Pfieuw!!! Tough cookie this one!

Cees