PDA

View Full Version : I have two questions.

rdaniell
July 22nd, 2015, 04:38
1. Where is the FSX config file located?
2. Is there a line in it that allows you to change the height of rivers and streams? Right now mine simply sit flat on the ground.

Thanks.

RD

Daube
July 22nd, 2015, 04:40
The config file is located in c:\Users\your name\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Flight Simulator X\

As for the rivers/streams, no there's no way to alter their height, other than a dedicated mesh/landscape mod.

rdaniell
July 22nd, 2015, 05:10
The config file is located in c:\Users\your name\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Flight Simulator X\ As for the rivers/streams, no there's no way to alter their height, other than a dedicated mesh/landscape mod.

Thanks. I suppose that is another difference between FS9 and FSX as I seem to remember that you could lower the elevation of rivers and streams in FS9 to give the appearance of banks. I'll have to take a look at my GEX program to see if there's something in it that addresses that.

RD

Daube
July 22nd, 2015, 06:11
Well, to be honnest I wasn't aware of the FS9 trick you mentioned.
If such thing existed in FS9, then perhaps it also exist on FSX. But so far I have never heard about anything like that.

zswobbie1
July 22nd, 2015, 06:27
There should be a search button at your start menu, otherwise download 'everything' from www.voidtools.com. That is the best desktop search engine around!

falcon409
July 22nd, 2015, 06:37
Well, to be honest I wasn't aware of the FS9 trick you mentioned.
If such thing existed in FS9, then perhaps it also exist on FSX. But so far I have never heard about anything like that.
I wasn't doing much scenery work in FS9 so I can't say definitively, but I could see that causing problems if it's a global change to elevations. As you mentioned earlier, it is possible to do individual lakes, rivers or streams via scenery mods.

rdaniell
July 22nd, 2015, 06:56
Ok, I've located the FSX config file but, you guys have now convinced me that I must have been having a senior :pop4: moment concerning FS9. Maybe I am but, I sure seem to remember :dizzy: a parameter in the FS9 config file that you could give a minus number to which resulted in all the rivers and streams having banks.

RD

Lane Street
July 22nd, 2015, 07:11
You remember correctly except you had to change the terrain.cfg in FS9.

FSX has the same file in the root FSX folder.

Look in it for...

// Stream Lines - stream lines / unknown / perennial
[Texture.0]
Name=Stream_Lines_Perennial
Color=FF01A2FF
guid={2D3FC985-A72B-473D-B23B-D78E72E63B53}
LegacyId=1024
Textures=RiverSU.bmp
Layout=3_PLUS_1
StripWidthMeters=64
Size=4
FlattenMode=offset
FlattenOffsetMeters=-1
FlattenPriority=11000
LandClassRemapType=none
ExcludeAutogen=Yes
RenderToTexture=Yes
RenderPriority=51000
Water=No

// Stream Lines - stream lines / unknown / non-perennial
[Texture.1]
Name=Stream_Lines_Non_Perennial
Color=FF01A2FF
LegacyId=1025
Textures=RiverSU.bmp
Layout=3_PLUS_1
Size=4
FlattenMode=offset
FlattenOffsetMeters=-1
FlattenPriority=10000
LandClassRemapType=natural
ExcludeAutogen=Yes
RenderToTexture=Yes
RenderPriority=50000
Water=No

You might try playing with the FlattenOffsetMeters=-1 line.

According to the SDK that line...

Specifies whether to raise or lower the terrain mesh beneath the vector. To lower a streambed below the surrounding terrain, specify a negative integer in meters. The default value is zero, which prevents the vector from having any effect on the elevation of the terrain mesh.

cheers,
Lane

rdaniell
July 22nd, 2015, 07:42
You remember correctly except you had to change the terrain.cfg in FS9. FSX has the same file in the root FSX folder. cheers,
Lane

Thank you. I'm glad to know that my memory is not completely screwed up. :very_drunk: I found the terrain config file and changed the offset to -4 meters which results in a nice illusion of river and stream banks.

RD

Daube
July 22nd, 2015, 08:00
Thanks a lot for the explanations, Lane !
I never heard of that. I might give it a try in P3D, just out of curiosity :D