PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10

Pages : [1] 2

b52bob
July 21st, 2015, 13:08
Since it's only a few days before the release version of win 10 will appear, it would be helpful if anyone that upgrades can give a report.

I already saw a report on Facebook that fs9 is not working correctly.

thanks and let the comments begin.

Bob

falcon409
July 21st, 2015, 13:32
Yea, same here. Someone posted in the forums that FSX was not working in 10, but I never followed through with reading the particulars so not sure if it was operator error or not.

Sundog
July 21st, 2015, 15:49
Just to be clear, in this thread Some thoughts on a potential build (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?95111-Some-thoughts-on-a-potential-build) someone said if you upgrade to Win10, you will have to re-install FS. Or are you asking whether or not Win10 will even allow it to run?

ejoiner
July 21st, 2015, 17:07
Just to be clear, in this thread Some thoughts on a potential build (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?95111-Some-thoughts-on-a-potential-build) someone said if you upgrade to Win10, you will have to re-install FS. Or are you asking whether or not Win10 will even allow it to run?

Im going to do the upgrade because I have a relatively new win8.1 PC and I have MSFT as a global client. I have to have their stuff. However, if win10 porks FSX, then Im going to go to P3D. Will use it as an opportunity to make the move. Might as well.

glh
July 21st, 2015, 17:18
With Microsoft's reputation for making OS upgrades behave flawlessly, how could anyone doubt that it will not work ?? (sarcasm off now)

WarHorse47
July 21st, 2015, 17:55
After reading what I can about Win10 compatibility with FSX and FS9, I decided to cancel my reservation for the upgrade.

I'm not the most tech savvy person around here and I have a lot of time and money invested in this hobby, yet everything I read about Win10 leads me to believe that I'd be their guinea pig. Going from Win8.1 to Win10 for all the new whistles and bells that I likely may not need is just not worth the risk at the moment. Maybe several months down the road I might change my mind after others have figured it out.

For example, I understand that both sims will not run under Win10 because of DirectX12. Well, my question is if its an upgrade over my existing system, what about my installs of DirectX9 and 11?? I also understand that FSX does run if you use DirectX10 mode, which I do not use. No mention of FS9 which I still run. For those who have been able to get FS9 and FSX running under Win10, I understand that it a pre-release version and not the actual upgrade. Bottom line is that there are just too many unanswered questions.

Jafo
July 21st, 2015, 18:55
One of the 'fun' things with general versions of Win 10 will be the FORCED updates [no option to not have them].

MS's history with updates-that-bork-systems is [in]famous. It'd be 'entertaining' at best playing Russian Roulette 3 or 4 times a year with 'sensitive' program installs.

The 'brilliant' plan is that the general public are the guinea pigs for the enterprise updates - they can defer them and avoid calamity.

Maybe [and it is only a maybe] there will be compatible releases of earlier DX versions that will enable FSX [and others] to function OK...but the intelligent approach is to hold off on 'upgrading' the OS.
You have a year for the 'free offer'.

There's no 'real' benefit for anyone to move from 7 or 8/8.1 other than those eager to play with DX12 games - when they come out.

7 has MANY years more official support. [I wouldn't be surprised if that outlasts 8/8.1 even - as it's by far the largest % in use today]...;)

Dumonceau
July 21st, 2015, 22:00
Yea, same here. Someone posted in the forums that FSX was not working in 10, but I never followed through with reading the particulars so not sure if it was operator error or not.

That was solved by installing the right version of DirectX.

Also, about deferring the updates. Windows 10 Home users will not have that possibility, but users with Windows 10 professional and Enterprise will be able to select the updates they want to have.

I'm definitely moving over to Windows 10. It will mean a full clean install, but I have a habit of doing that every year or so. So no biggie.

Johan

expat
July 22nd, 2015, 03:28
After reading what I can about Win10 compatibility with FSX and FS9, I decided to cancel my reservation for the upgrade.

This is quite critical for me to get right. I have Win 7 Professional. If I now cancel my upgrade scheduled for 29 July (MS are not clear if I will then still have a choice to activate it or not, or they will just do it . .) do I still have time to upgrade - for free - later on, i.e., possibly after this compatibility problem is resolved?

dhazelgrove
July 22nd, 2015, 03:43
This is quite critical for me to get right. I have Win 7 Professional. If I now cancel my upgrade scheduled for 29 July (MS are not clear if I will then still have a choice to activate it or not, or they will just do it . .) do I still have time to upgrade - for free - later on, i.e., possibly after this compatibility problem is resolved?

You have up to a year to 'upgrade'.

The latest thoughts are that those people involved in the M$ Insider program will get theirs on the due date, with the rest of us waiting in line over the next month.
Basically - don't hold your breath.....

Dave

Jafo
July 22nd, 2015, 04:33
That was solved by installing the right version of DirectX.

Also, about deferring the updates. Windows 10 Home users will not have that possibility, but users with Windows 10 professional and Enterprise will be able to select the updates they want to have.

I'm definitely moving over to Windows 10. It will mean a full clean install, but I have a habit of doing that every year or so. So no biggie.

Johan

Johan...Professional users will be able to 'defer' the updates...but they still cannot reject them.

Jafo
July 22nd, 2015, 04:36
The 'free upgrade' offer is for 12 months.
You won't be receiving anything on the 29th anyway.....not this month...more like....'sometime this year'...;)

Dumonceau
July 22nd, 2015, 05:44
Johan...Professional users will be able to 'defer' the updates...but they still cannot reject them.

I beg to differ.

I had a briefing about this from our Microsoft TAM (technical assistance manager):

Like with windows 7 or even windows XP, you will have the possibility to "hide the update". Us network and system people will do this through GPO/WSUS/MSSC. But even users themselves can do that, on the condition that they have local admin rights.

It will never present itself again. This is true for the the Professional and Enterprise editions of Windows.

You do realise that if Microsoft lies to an IT dept of a federal government that there will be hell to pay? And even if I work for a small country, we can always talk to the EU or the EC. And we will.

Johan

Jafo
July 22nd, 2015, 06:10
Johan...

If you take the time to review the EULA for W10 build 10240, you’ll find:

“The Software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you.
You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates.
By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.” – EULA
Also,

“Customers who are embracing Current Branch for Business do need to consume that feature update within the allotted time period of approximately eight months or they will not be able to see and consume the next security update.”- Helen Harmetz, Microsoft Senior Product Marketing Manager

Now that demonstrates that although you can defer an update if you do not accept it within 8 months they will pull your plug.
It's a process whereby enterprise users get the benefit of the general public's exposure to bugs and their correction...whilst the commercial money-pot is unharmed by same.

WarHorse47
July 22nd, 2015, 06:37
Seems to me that everyone is avoiding the key question here.

You're talking about the Win10 upgrade policy but haven't answered the question about how the Win10 upgrade will handle FSX or FS9.

My conclusion is that nobody knows. All the more reason for me not to upgrade.

Dumonceau
July 22nd, 2015, 06:38
You're talking about the tech preview. The EULA is different from the ones of the definitive professional and enterprise editions.

Windows 10 will be a "service" for home/residential users, NOT for those who are lucky enough to obtain a Professional or Enterprise license.

If you're unhappy about that, go Linux or Mac. Maybe you'll be able to run Steam on it.

You wanna be sure? Go Prepar3d v2.x.

I'll never EVER understand why you people are so suspicious about updates.

Johan

Dumonceau
July 22nd, 2015, 06:40

You're talking about the Win10 upgrade policy but haven't answered the question about how the Win10 upgrade will handle FSX or FS9.

You're even able to run FS9 and FSX on the tech preview, given that you've searched for and installed the necessary DirectX version.

You want to be 150% sure? Install WinXP 64 bit. Good luck with the drivers though...

Johan

Jafo
July 22nd, 2015, 06:49
You're talking about the tech preview. The EULA is different from the ones of the definitive professional and enterprise editions.

Windows 10 will be a "service" for home/residential users, NOT for those who are lucky enough to obtain a Professional or Enterprise license.

If you're unhappy about that, go Linux or Mac. Maybe you'll be able to run Steam on it.

You wanna be sure? Go Prepar3d v2.x.

I'll never EVER understand why you people are so suspicious about updates.

Johan

Johan...it's not 'suspicion' it's 'caution'. MS's track record for having updates screw with a system is legendary.

Example...For a number of months [7 Ult] I was forced to roll back to IE9 because the IE10 update caused FSX to CTD....and the same with IE11.

Since then it's been fine, assumption being that another update elsewhere 'cured it'.

Dumonceau
July 22nd, 2015, 07:04
Johan...it's not 'suspicion' it's 'caution'. MS's track record for having updates screw with a system is legendary.

Example...For a number of months [7 Ult] I was forced to roll back to IE9 because the IE10 update caused FSX to CTD....and the same with IE11.

Since then it's been fine, assumption being that another update elsewhere 'cured it'.

The last few months when I was using FSX, I had IE11 working besides my trusty FF. never had any problems.

I imagine that, if you would have let all the updates come through, you would not have had any problem.

Updates are some of the very few things that M$ gives for free. For your security and to keep your systems healthy. Let them through...

Johan

Jafo
July 22nd, 2015, 07:26
I always do 'let them through'. I can however guarantee I have uninstalled some after there were published faults with them.

The only ones 'hidden' and not allowed in currently are the rubbish advertising/promotion 'updates' advertising 10.

I am certain that 'most' users never had issues with FSX and IE 10/11, but that doesn't negate the fact that I did. [and wasn't alone with problems with those updates - others reported issues with other software].

Yes, I know I push systems harder than Joe Average...used to break Win2000 3 times a day...when that was claimed to be 'rock solid'.... but in those days I was into alternate shells and 'explorer.exe' was a swear-word...;)

Paul Domingue
July 22nd, 2015, 08:26

I can tell you right now that FSXA works just fine in Win 10. I just got through with a flight. I have been testing the Win 10 insider preview for quite a while and FSX was the first thing I installed as well as a copy of 3ds Max. Later today I will install FS9 and see how that does so we can answer that question. I have to say that FSX is the box version and I have not installed any addons so I can't say how anything else will work. I'm not going to get into the other details of Win 10 as they do not pertain to the thread, only the questions of FSX and FS9. I will also attempt to install some addons as well to see how they do. If you have any nice addons you would like me to test well just send them to me. :biggrin-new:

dhazelgrove
July 22nd, 2015, 09:06
I can tell you right now that FSXA works just fine in Win 10. I just got through with a flight. I have been testing the Win 10 insider preview for quite a while and FSX was the first thing I installed as well as a copy of 3ds Max. Later today I will install FS9 and see how that does so we can answer that question. I have to say that FSX is the box version and I have not installed any addons so I can't say how anything else will work. I'm not going to get into the other details of Win 10 as they do not pertain to the thread, only the questions of FSX and FS9. I will also attempt to install some addons as well to see how they do. If you have any nice addons you would like me to test well just send them to me. :biggrin-new:

That's very good to know. Thanks for that.
Now, all we need is for someone to upgrade an already-working FSX system (Win7/8/8.1) to Win10 - and tell us that FSX still works. Any volunteers?

Dave

WarHorse47
July 22nd, 2015, 09:12
:adoration::adoration::adoration:

Thanks.

Just to put a little more spin on this topic, my primary concern is the upgrade of Win10 over my current OS. Does it change things so much that FSX or FS9 no longer work? Does it remove or disable existing installs of ActiveX, Framework.net, etc., which supports existing software on my computer. Does it overwrite my current registry to force me to reinstall everything.

Most addons are not a problem, but some do have registry entries for security or uninstalling, etc. I'd hate to start all over again from the beginning.

Paul Domingue
July 22nd, 2015, 10:28
That's very good to know. Thanks for that.
Now, all we need is for someone to upgrade an already-working FSX system (Win7/8/8.1) to Win10 - and tell us that FSX still works. Any volunteers?

Dave

:adoration::adoration::adoration:

Thanks.

Just to put a little more spin on this topic, my primary concern is the upgrade of Win10 over my current OS. Does it change things so much that FSX or FS9 no longer work? Does it remove or disable existing installs of ActiveX, Framework.net, etc., which supports existing software on my computer. Does it overwrite my current registry to force me to reinstall everything.

Most addons are not a problem, but some do have registry entries for security or uninstalling, etc. I'd hate to start all over again from the beginning.

I installed Win 10 over an existing Win 7 setup and I'll get into more detail a little later because I have to leave for a Dr. appointment. I will say this, FS9 works in Win 10 but it's not a straight forward setup, again I'll get into more detail when I get back.

Navy Chief
July 22nd, 2015, 12:33
This is a YouTube video of one guys experience so far with Windows 10 and FSX Steam edition, but it is encouraging. NC

http://youtu.be/SoeY85Uq5S4

jschall
July 22nd, 2015, 12:50
I have been a Windows 10 Insider for some time now, having upgraded from 8.1. I continued to use FSX (with DirectX 9) as usual, until...

With the "final" update to Windows 10 10240, FSX would only show a black screen. Sound was OK, but no graphic display at all.

It turned out, after a lot of help from SOH fellows, that Windows 10 was using DirectX 12, and did not recognize the installed DirectX 9.

I had two options, both of which got FSX working again:

1 - I enabled DirectX 10 Preview

Or

2 - I re-installed DirectX 9, but NOT from the usual Microsoft Web installer, which refused to override the existing DirectX 12. SOH user Flaviossa pointed me to this version:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109. That version did install. And FSX worked, without selecting the DirectX 10 preview.

I am sticking with DirectX 10, with the improvements achieved with Steve's DX10 Scenery Fixer.

I hope my experience will encourage others to make the upgrade to Windows 10.

Paul Domingue
July 22nd, 2015, 14:02
Ok I'm back from the doctor and at my neighborhood bar having a cold one.
Installed FS9 earlier and for it to run two things are required, you must install the v9.1 update and you must replace the FS9.exe with the no CD FS9 replacement of FS9.exe. The old CD security system is the problem and the replacement no CD file can be found with a little bit of searching. If you can't find it PM me. After you get the ULA screen and it starts the screen will go black. Simply hit the alt+enter keys and bingo your up and flying.
On the question of previously installed programs on my system after installing Win 10, which I will now start calling Win X for ascetic purposes, everything has worked without problems. The only problem I have encountered so far is related to 3ds Max and I cannot attribute it to Win X since it is a minor graphics glitch that occurs once in a while.
Sipping some beer.............ahhh good.
Before installing Win X delete any and all login passwords,this caused a problem in the early builds of Win X insider preview. Win X will not know what to do with them and will lock you out. Don't forget to do this! The new system now uses pins like your debit cards but if you forget a Windows Live account will bail you out.
For those who want to wait before installing Win X it comes as an ISO download that you burn to DVD. Get it and wait until you feel comfortable about installing it. I agree with Johan on making a clean install which is what I will do on my main system when the time is right.
Ok back to the beer....... And if anybody cares I will need some surgery. My doctor called me a dick head and when I objected he said, no no you have a second penis growing out of your forehead and it needs to be removed.

Navy Chief
July 22nd, 2015, 14:02
Maybe this will finally get me to buy Steves DX10 Fixer....:encouragement: NC

Jafo
July 22nd, 2015, 15:34
I have been a Windows 10 Insider for some time now, having upgraded from 8.1. I continued to use FSX (with DirectX 9) as usual, until...

2 - I re-installed DirectX 9, but NOT from the usual Microsoft Web installer, which refused to override the existing DirectX 12. SOH user Flaviossa pointed me to this version:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109. That version did install. And FSX worked, without selecting the DirectX 10 preview.

Ah....there IS hope, then...;)
Most recent insider I have is 10130, I think... but will experiment with the FSX Demo....

When I built this machine in December I had to re-install FSX completely...all 260gig of it... so am not looking forward to doing it again for 10. THAT can wait a year.

This system is designed for 10 ...afterall some of the hardware is too new for 7 to even recognize without a bit of nudging first.,,,ie. WEI fails....;)

rich12545
July 22nd, 2015, 19:16
This is my opinion. When winx comes out, fsx will work just fine. Remember, you heard it from me first. :applause:

Paul Domingue
July 22nd, 2015, 19:50
This is my opinion. When winx comes out, fsx will work just fine. Remember, you heard it from me first. :applause:

Don't be stealing my thunder boy, they heard from me and Johan first in a previous post on the subject as well as this one. And I'm the one who coined the term Win X so don't you forget it. And it pisses me off and I don't care if this locks the thread up.

rich12545
July 23rd, 2015, 05:22
Don't be stealing my thunder boy, they heard from me and Johan first in a previous post on the subject as well as this one. And I'm the one who coined the term Win X so don't you forget it. And it pisses me off and I don't care if this locks the thread up.

You should be more respectful of your elders. What's the matter with kids these days?

Navy Chief
July 23rd, 2015, 05:46
Darn whippersnappers! Wait a sec, I am younger than they are! :very_drunk: NC

Dumonceau
July 23rd, 2015, 05:58
Darn whippersnappers! Wait a sec, I am younger than they are! :very_drunk: NC

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! You oldtimers kill me, you really do!! :biggrin-new:

Johan

Paul Domingue
July 23rd, 2015, 07:00
Sorry everyone, I went a little bit overboard, to much beer. Just goes to show you drinking and texting don't mix.

stovall
July 23rd, 2015, 07:14
Now you whipper snappers look here. If you are talking about age and elders, I resemble that remark. I have not reserved Win X just yet as I am watching what happens with the guys that are using the trial version. Really interested in how FSX and P3D 2.5 works in Windows 10. Any input is greatly appreciated. Now where did I put the Meta Mucil.

sidler
July 23rd, 2015, 07:50
Hell..I taught I said it first....oh,well I really don't remember !!

Dick

Paul Domingue
July 23rd, 2015, 07:57
So far FSX works well, I've been testing it for a while in DX10 preview and while I have nothing to compare it to it does seem to run smoother on the low end system I have win x running on.
FS9 I just installed yesterday and after overcoming the security system it also is working fine. I won't be testing P3D until I convert my main system but that will be a little bit in the future because I want to do a clean install and I have projects I want to finish first.

WarHorse47
July 23rd, 2015, 08:09
So far FSX works well, I've been testing it for a while in DX10 preview and while I have nothing to compare it to it does seem to run smoother on the low end system I have win x running on.
FS9 I just installed yesterday and after overcoming the security system it also is working fine. I won't be testing P3D until I convert my main system but that will be a little bit in the future because I want to do a clean install and I have projects I want to finish first.Interesting. If you can run FS9, then can you run FSX without DX10 preview? I'm not clear as to how or why DX10 is necessary to run under a Win 10 install.

Paul Domingue
July 23rd, 2015, 10:11
Interesting. If you can run FS9, then can you run FSX without DX10 preview? I'm not clear as to how or why DX10 is necessary to run under a Win 10 install.

I turned on the DX10 preview otherwise FSX still runs DX9 in Win X.

ncooper
July 23rd, 2015, 10:21
There is no reason to suppose that FSX will not run in Direct X 9 under
Windows 10 RTM.
The misunderstanding appears to have been generated by the allegation
that an update to Windows 10 stopped a previously installed FSX from working.

While that may or may not have been the case, it seemed to have been limited
to one user and a fundamental lack of understanding of Direct X may have
contributed.

There are so many other things that can stop FSX, after 8 years of user research
they have not yet all been found, that the likelihood of Direct X 12 being the first
ever version that was not backwards compatible for at least three versions is remote.

Regards,
Nick.

Paul Domingue
July 23rd, 2015, 12:31
From what I understand software needs to run under the version of DX that it was written for. The same goes for software that requires Microsoft Net Framework. Most people can find several versions of Net Framework on their systems. There is no reason why Microsoft would intentionally exclude any version of their own software from running on Win X expect by accident and then they would have an update to correct the problem once discovered.

rich12545
July 23rd, 2015, 12:55
In my wildest imagination I can't see microsoft screwing up with directx9. It has been the staple for a long time. Not only is it used for flight simulator but a absolute ton of games. Not including compatibility would totally piss off millions of people. It just ain't gonna happen.

hairyspin
July 23rd, 2015, 13:08
Windows 7 doesn't have DirectX 9 by default and some older software just won't run without it. Add the DirectX 9 runtime linked above and the same old software carries on quite happily. It doesn't replace Dx 10 or 11 on your system, just runs happily alongside them. Since Windows X previewers have already found this is the solution to their problems, we don't seem to have real worries ahead, other than the sky falling on our heads, by Toutatis!

And tonight I find an email from MS flagging up Win X's imminent release...

zswobbie1
July 23rd, 2015, 22:59
I have 2x laptops. My 'main' one has Win VII on it. I'm running FSIX (FSII00IV) as well as PIIIDVI.IV. My problem there is that DxDiag shows that I have DXX hardware & DXXI software & thus I cannot run P3DvII.IV! That laptop is an iV with IVGB (or is it IIII?) Ram. My other laptop is a Win VIII.I, IIGB ram, so, not worthy of putting a sim onto it.
I have reserved Win X for both.
Any ideas as to any issues I might have with my 'main' laptop once it has been upgraded from Win VII to Win X? Will my FSIX, of which I have II (2) versions, & PIIIDVI.IV run without issues? Will the DXXII be backward compatible with DXIX?

Bjoern
July 24th, 2015, 03:31
I have 2x laptops. My 'main' one has Win VII on it. I'm running FSIX (FSII00IV) as well as PIIIDVI.IV. My problem there is that DxDiag shows that I have DXX hardware & DXXI software & thus I cannot run P3DvII.IV! That laptop is an iV with IVGB (or is it IIII?) Ram. My other laptop is a Win VIII.I, IIGB ram, so, not worthy of putting a sim onto it.
I have reserved Win X for both.
Any ideas as to any issues I might have with my 'main' laptop once it has been upgraded from Win VII to Win X? Will my FSIX, of which I have II (2) versions, & PIIIDVI.IV run without issues? Will the DXXII be backward compatible with DXIX?

Romanes eunt domus!

Er...

zswobbie1
July 24th, 2015, 03:58
And now for something completely different!.. As John Cleese also said!
Sorry I just could not resist. Us oldies do need a bit of latitude..

hairyspin
July 24th, 2015, 05:02
Heavy numerical confusion, man. I see you're running P3 506.4 and some version of FS way before my time: FS MMII is the earliest on my shelf. You also have 520 hardware with 521 software??? My head is spinning... and I don't think the Romans used decimal fractions either. What were you smoking this morning?

zswobbie1
July 24th, 2015, 05:21
If I tell you, I will have to share with the youngsters here. Not going to...

Jafo
July 24th, 2015, 05:33
Romanes eunt domus!

Er...

https://youtu.be/IIAdHEwiAy8

zswobbie1
July 24th, 2015, 05:40
& that takes us back to Win X!!
We gotta download a player to play that clip?

Dumonceau
July 24th, 2015, 05:56
Flash player will do nicely! :D

CanadaKen
July 24th, 2015, 07:14
Will we have a choice to download an Win10 ISO from Microsoft?

CK

Dumonceau
July 24th, 2015, 07:34

CK

Only IT professionals with an M$ contract I believe. I could be mistaking!

Johan

PRB
July 24th, 2015, 14:47
All my computers now have the "reserve your copy of Win 10" icon in the tray now. I've accepted the offer on the "experimental laptop". If I like it, I will go the same route for this laptop. The big [big] FS desktop unit will remain Win7. It's stable and I like it that way.

Bjoern
July 27th, 2015, 05:21

Googled that yesterday because I want to do a clean installation.

Apparently, you have to upgrade first and can then create an iso with the files from your disk. Probably because MS checks if you're entitled to the free upgrade before downloading.

rich12545
July 27th, 2015, 07:23
Does anybody know about drivers? Other than nvidia, there's always about 5-6 drivers to install. Will they be part of the upgrade or will it be necessary to download them from the computer manufacturer? Inquiring minds want to know. :running:

flaviossa
July 28th, 2015, 03:22
Googled that yesterday because I want to do a clean installation.

Apparently, you have to upgrade first and can then create an iso with the files from your disk. Probably because MS checks if you're entitled to the free upgrade before downloading.

If it will work like windows8 than we will have the option to do a clean or an update install during the instalation process. I remember when i installed win8 (I had win7 home edition before), that it asked me that and i choosed a clean install. It ofered me the possibility to burn a iso too :encouragement:

expat
July 28th, 2015, 03:38
I am still uncertain what to do about this. I have reserved a free copy which I will be "notified" about tomorrow. I am abroad on vacation the next day for two weeks and don't want it auto-installing while I am away and disabling FSX! I would like to preserve the option to upgrade but after things are more settled and clear on how to keep DX9 (don't use/like DX10) functional. Very happy with Windows 7 Professional otherwise.

Questions:

Does a Windows 10 o/s upgrade wipe clean everything - including FSX and all add-ons (yikes!) - on my system or leave it as is?
If I keep the reservation, will I still be able to defer the actual install/upgrade until some time later of my choosing - and under my control - or will it auto-install overnight without my being aware of it the way my "normal" Windows Updates do?
If I cancel the reservation now, can I preserve the free upgrade option for installing W 10 at some later date (non-business user; Windows 7 Professional)?

Many thanks in advance for your comments.

paiken
July 28th, 2015, 04:23
Does anybody know about drivers? Other than nvidia, there's always about 5-6 drivers to install. Will they be part of the upgrade or will it be necessary to download them from the computer manufacturer? Inquiring minds want to know. :running:

My son (a programmer at Microsoft) recommended waiting a couple of months to install until manufacturers have a chance to update their drivers. I plan, like others, to install on my laptop first and, once the dust settles, upgrade my desktop.

Jafo
July 28th, 2015, 04:42
I am still uncertain what to do about this. I have reserved a free copy which I will be "notified" about tomorrow. I am abroad on vacation the next day for two weeks and don't want it auto-installing while I am away and disabling FSX! I would like to preserve the option to upgrade but after things are more settled and clear on how to keep DX9 (don't use/like DX10) functional. Very happy with Windows 7 Professional otherwise.

Questions:

Does a Windows 10 o/s upgrade wipe clean everything - including FSX and all add-ons (yikes!) - on my system or leave it as is?
If I keep the reservation, will I still be able to defer the actual install/upgrade until some time later of my choosing - and under my control - or will it auto-install overnight without my being aware of it the way my "normal" Windows Updates do?
If I cancel the reservation now, can I preserve the free upgrade option for installing W 10 at some later date (non-business user; Windows 7 Professional)?

Many thanks in advance for your comments.

1. No.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

I know that was long-winded...but...;)

noddy
July 28th, 2015, 05:31
A dumb arse question, so sorry.

I currently have Win 7 64 bit Ultimate, so if I go for the free upgrade is the 64 bit as well?

dhazelgrove
July 28th, 2015, 05:35
A dumb arse question, so sorry.

I currently have Win 7 64 bit Ultimate, so if I go for the free upgrade is the 64 bit as well?

You'll get the appropriate version for your system.

Dave

noddy
July 28th, 2015, 05:35
Cheers Dave.

rich12545
July 28th, 2015, 12:11
My son (a programmer at Microsoft) recommended waiting a couple of months to install until manufacturers have a chance to update their drivers. I plan, like others, to install on my laptop first and, once the dust settles, upgrade my desktop.

Yeah, that makes sense. I just have the desktop so I'll wait a bit. One would think the major companies would be using the preview of winx to make the drivers though.

Francois
July 28th, 2015, 12:28
It is my understanding that we have until July NEXT year to upgrade for free........ I think I'll wait and see what is going to happen with FSX before deciding...... been on the bleeding edge a few times too often :a1310:

papab
July 28th, 2015, 12:55
It's 7/29 somewhere in the world-anyone tried it yet?

Francois- You are correct about the one year..

Rick

heywooood
July 28th, 2015, 12:56
It is my understanding that we have until July NEXT year to upgrade for free........ I think I'll wait and see what is going to happen with FSX before deciding...... been on the bleeding edge a few times too often :a1310:

this was my approach as well - the only caveat is that with Winx released I don't think there will be any more Win7 or Win8 security updates....

hairyspin
July 28th, 2015, 12:58
... the only caveat is that with Winx released I don't think there will be any more Win7 or Win8 security updates....

Horsefeathers. Windows 7 will be supported for another five years: until January 2020 in fact, and Win8 until January 2023.

TeiscoDelRay
July 28th, 2015, 17:12
There could be some things removed when overlaying win 10 on your system (such as parts of FSX) so I will do a backup using windows system image backup to a usb drive. I am not sure how, what and where to get the proper usb drive so does anyone have any experience with them?

heywooood
July 28th, 2015, 18:12
Horsefeathers. Windows 7 will be supported for another five years: until January 2020 in fact, and Win8 until January 2023.

maybe - but you and I and the rest of the world know they are going to be pretty busy keeping WinX'ers happy once this new OS rolls out - not too far fetched
to believe updates for Win7 and 8 will be back burner at best...

do horses with feathers taste like chicken?

heywooood
July 28th, 2015, 18:15
There could be some things removed when overlaying win 10 on your system (such as parts of FSX) so I will do a backup using windows system image backup to a usb drive. I am not sure how, what and where to get the proper usb drive so does anyone have any experience with them?

didn't happen to my laptop copy of FSX:SE - Win10beta rolled right into it with no glitches...but I do plan on doing a fresh install of FSX after I update this PC

Jafo
July 28th, 2015, 19:23
maybe - but you and I and the rest of the world know they are going to be pretty busy keeping WinX'ers happy once this new OS rolls out - not too far fetched

do horses with feathers taste like chicken?

Yer darn tootin ...considering one 10 update has already crashed explorer.exe [good thing they're forced on you - since revised with a release which enables actual shock-horror - CHOICE].
The intention of the 'free' upgrade is to get as many people as possible onto 10 as quickly as possible...so that ongoing support for older OS's can tail off sooner rather than later. It's a sensible ploy on the part of MS.

CG_1976
July 28th, 2015, 20:50
Atm, Las Vegas Pacific time my Computer is downloading the W10 update and lining up in que for a slot just after midnight to begin install upgrade process. The Process began for me 4:58pm according to the time stamp.

patful
July 28th, 2015, 21:03
Atm, Las Vegas Pacific time my Computer is downloading the W10 update and lining up in que for a slot just after midnight to begin install upgrade process. The Process began for me 4:58pm according to the time stamp. Nothing here, and I'm two hours ahead of you. Aren't you supposed to be able to approve the actual installation after the download?

heywooood
July 28th, 2015, 21:05
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?u=41537&dateline=1426318127 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/member.php?41537-CG_1976)

CG_1976 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/member.php?41537-CG_1976)
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/statusicon1/user-online.png

Atm, Las Vegas Pacific time my Computer is downloading the W10 update and lining up in que for a slot just after midnight to begin install upgrade process. The Process began for me 4:58pm according to the time stamp.

------------------------------------------------

let us know how it goes if you wouldn't mind....

I think I'll probably wait a few months for the initial fixes and for the D/L furor to pass - I hate holiday sales and sold out concerts too

manfredc3
July 28th, 2015, 21:46
Just got home from work.

The laptop shows the download completed. I postponed the install till the morning. As it's too late right now. I'm certainly curious on what windows 10 will bring.

But my flight simulator desktop will remain on windows 7 fos at least a few months. It;s running just fine, so I don't want to mess it up.

hairyspin
July 28th, 2015, 22:14
...once this new OS rolls out - not too far fetched

I'm sure you're right, it's just that corporate customers with hundreds if not thousands of Win7 installs don't move to the latest the day it's released, they stick with reliable, known systems until they're ready to move. These are MS's main customers and MS better look after them with patches and updates in short order. Even MS know you look after your main customers if you want to stay in business. Just my opinion, no doubt the IT pros know more.

CG_1976
July 28th, 2015, 22:55
LAst rights and will of Computer to SOH.

Bringing full upgrade. If I dont make it back I'll be drunk off my skull at Sam's Casino and Resort and then come back MS better unscrew up. I don't like SOH withdraws.

IanHenry
July 29th, 2015, 00:20
I've upgraded my PC, and first impressions are that it's incredibly slow to start up. Anyone know how to create an clean install disk?

Ian

Jafo
July 29th, 2015, 03:18
I've upgraded my PC, and first impressions are that it's incredibly slow to start up. Anyone know how to create an clean install disk?

Ian

http://microsoft-news.com/download-windows-10-rtm-build-10240-iso/

There's actually no prize for being first on the block to run a genuinely as yet untried OS [currently so far one forced update has crashed explorer.exe].
Patience is a virtue....;)

DaveB
July 29th, 2015, 03:24
I'm sure you're right, it's just that corporate customers with hundreds if not thousands of Win7 installs don't move to the latest the day it's released, they stick with reliable, known systems until they're ready to move. These are MS's main customers and MS better look after them with patches and updates in short order. Even MS know you look after your main customers if you want to stay in business. Just my opinion, no doubt the IT pros know more.

I work for Sainsbury's here in the UK and our store terminals (back office) still run XP Pro!!
ATB
DaveB:)

CG_1976
July 29th, 2015, 03:40
Upgrade to Windows 10 Home

Installation date: ‎7/‎29/‎2015 3:42 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80070004

Update type: Important

Install the next version of Windows.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=507415

Help and Support:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=507417

Wtf is up MS X4 tonight same thing over and over. Always at the 44% install upgrade mark.

res non verba
July 29th, 2015, 03:44
I just cancel my reservation of windows 10 and will wait to see...

:ernaehrung004:

Bjoern
July 29th, 2015, 04:14
Running the Media Creation Tool at the moment to download and create a bootable USB drive.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

It's slower than one of those piston driven wingthings you people fly, so this might just take a loooooong time.

IanHenry
July 29th, 2015, 04:25
Running the Media Creation Tool at the moment to download and create a bootable USB drive.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

It's slower than one of those piston driven wingthings you people fly, so this might just take a loooooong time.

If you use that it will ask you for a serial number, and my old one from Windows 7 does not work, you've got to buy a new one.

Ian

glh
July 29th, 2015, 04:29
A lot of gluttons for punishment here ......

Montie
July 29th, 2015, 05:07
If you use that it will ask you for a serial number, and my old one from Windows 7 does not work, you've got to buy a new one.

Ian

The way I understand it, when you upgrade you will get a licens key you can use with the full installer.

Moses03
July 29th, 2015, 05:08
A lot of gluttons for punishment here ......

Seems that way.

Happy with my Win 8.1 install that is running all my FS stuff perfectly. No interest in going to Win 10 right now.

Bjoern
July 29th, 2015, 06:40

You're entitled to upgrade, right?

- Edit:
Just googled. You indeed have to upgrade first in order to get a valid W10 key. *Groan*

flaviossa
July 29th, 2015, 12:26
Installed. Running win10 Pro now. Everything working perfectly. Will do more tests.

gradyhappyg
July 29th, 2015, 12:42
ROTF! Lucky me I wasn't going to upgrade right now anyway I thought the update would ask before install or should I say failed install but I guess not.

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home

Installation date: ‎7/‎29/‎2015 4:08 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80240020

Update type: Important

Install the next version of Windows.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=507415

Help and Support:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=507417

Montie
July 29th, 2015, 13:06
I have not managed to get the Windows Updater to work, it keeps giving an error 80240020. For people with Windows update error 80240020 found this on Reddit, this is what I am trying at the moment:

What this error means is, your Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted. Now, how do you fix that?
1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3eyrre/fix_for_the_80240020_error_when_trying_to_install/

Rudyjo
July 29th, 2015, 14:35
The results seem to be all over the place. Everything from "It works perfect" to someone at the A2A forums who said " The installation of Windows 10 completely wiped out FSX".
I'll wait. My windows 7 is working very well.

patful
July 29th, 2015, 14:37
I have not managed to get the Windows Updater to work, it keeps giving an error 80240020. For people with Windows update error 80240020 found this on Reddit, this is what I am trying at the moment: What this error means is, your Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted. Now, how do you fix that? 1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder. 2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow". 3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time. Ouch. I restored my Windows 7 desktop to factory condition last week, but it took me a week to finally view all of the available Windows updates. None of their fixes worked for me, finally got it done Monday night. They've got problems. I think I'll hold off for now, don't need that hassle again so soon.

Ickie
July 29th, 2015, 14:42
This morning I installed win 10 and so far only paint shop pro x3 wont load.

patful
July 29th, 2015, 14:57
This morning I installed win 10 and so far only paint shop pro x3 wont load. Upgrading from 7 or 8.1? I'm wondering who's having the most problems.

Navy Chief
July 29th, 2015, 15:24
I haven't turned on my desktop PC today (am on IPAD). But I thought, even though I am on the list for the upgrade, that I would be given the chance to install or NOT install the upgrade?? Sound like it is automatic. Not even liking THAT idea. NC

paiken
July 29th, 2015, 15:25
Just upgraded from Windows 7 Service Pack 1 to Windows 10 with minor issues (needed the latest video drivers from Nvidia and an new driver for my wireless printer). Other than that, no issues. FSX-SE works just fine for me. That said, I still have a number of programs to test and see if any of them were broken.

Ickie
July 29th, 2015, 15:37
on todays laptop I went from win 7 to 10
tomorrow on the big computer it too, lol win 7 to 10

then next month M$ will let me do my rt surface upgrade

heck I am happy with windows 10, and for free too, lol

AussieMan
July 29th, 2015, 15:52
This morning I installed win 10 and so far only paint shop pro x3 wont load.

Ron, I have Paint Shop Pro X5 and it loads ok.

napacon
July 29th, 2015, 15:54
Will Try Win 10 on a dedicated Win 7 Tower computer for FS9...will observe its operation and impact in the world we play in..will hold off on My tower with FSX Disk and FSX STEAM....I run the two,but will delete the disk version soon...Then monitoring this site and others will come to some decision...no rush I might add...My FSX steam on Win 7 is running superbly..Of course ,If it ain't broke?? leave it be....But the moth candle thing effects all..Its often beyond our control..BUT FIGHT IT..Curiosity Do Kill Cats

patful
July 29th, 2015, 18:22
on todays laptop I went from win 7 to 10 tomorrow on the big computer it too, lol win 7 to 10 then next month M$ will let me do my rt surface upgrade heck I am happy with windows 10, and for free too, lol Thanks. I'm still exhausted from last week's ordeal, so I'll wait a little longer. Does it seem like there are more or less background processes running?

CG_1976
July 29th, 2015, 21:00
I still am unable to update from my W8.1 to W10. The windows thing in the lower right corner shows im reserved and download in progress. Been like that since midnight. there is a folder on my C drive called $Windows.~BT and it is W10 from my inspection and is about 3.56gb. Stayed that size all day. If I go to my windows update she'll download w10 2,172mb approx . I'm confused lol.

CG_1976
July 29th, 2015, 21:15
I have not managed to get the Windows Updater to work, it keeps giving an error 80240020. For people with Windows update error 80240020 found this on Reddit, this is what I am trying at the moment:

What this error means is, your Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted. Now, how do you fix that?
1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3eyrre/fix_for_the_80240020_error_when_trying_to_install/

Please give better explain and mapping so I can visualize it in my head to apply thank you. So of us are very visual learner strength over read comprehension due to a creative artistic mind dominance. "Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow"."

Montie
July 30th, 2015, 01:05
Please give better explain and mapping so I can visualize it in my head to apply thank you. So of us are very visual learner strength over read comprehension due to a creative artistic mind dominance. "Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow"."

Sorry I missed that, you need to type/paste: wuauclt.exe /updatenow into your command prompt (search for: CMD) and remember to run it as Admin first.

I have tried five times now without any luck, it starts downloading but the installation fails. It has work for some, but a lot of people is still struggling with it. I have begun using this instead:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It still fails during installation at this point, but at least I can see the error message, I could not before. If you use this way remember to hit the "upgrade" button and not do a clean install, otherwise you will need a Windows 10 key.

mjrhealth
July 30th, 2015, 01:37
I am Intrigued as to what MS$ has to gain. If 3 million users take up this offer theystand to loose 660 million dollars on this in a time where profit is everything.

??

My son just installed it on his HP laptop.??

CG_1976
July 30th, 2015, 02:12
6 times failed 5 using the internal and 1 with the upgrade tool. Error look like a failed phase 1 boot. I beginning to think MS server's are baked and stoned and drunk overflow lol. They should have done it like the W8.1 update thru the store.

Crusader
July 30th, 2015, 02:19
Unfortunately I'm one of many who is having trouble with the initial download and installation . I'm shifting through the articles
to try to get a successful installation under Windows Update . My next try will be number 4 :banghead:

Rich

Crusader
July 30th, 2015, 04:59
After 7 failed attempts at Win 10 via the Windows Update I noticed there is a folder now on the C:/ drive
$Windows.~BT . Inside among many other files is a setup.exe file . I just clicked on it (did not execute it) and
it appeared to be a Windows installation program . I just wondered if anyone knows if I could safely try this route
instead of going through the Windows Update . By the way Windows Update included NVidia Driver update but they failed
during the update process too .:confused: Still have Win 7 to fall back on . Microsoft sure making this a PIA for some of us for sure .

Rich

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I can download the Win 10 upgrade from the net and put it on thumb drive or DVD disk and try to install it from there . worth a try . I thought I read this in my travels .

Daveroo
July 30th, 2015, 05:42
wow..i feel a little guilty for how easy it went for me..i still wonder if it has anything to how much/many files you have in your PC?....or whatever you use...my system was still clean so to speak..and i had it all done and i was up and running in 30 minutes.i also wonder if you download speed maters...i have 110 bps and as i say it was 30 minutes and i was back surfin the net ..

Montie
July 30th, 2015, 06:05
After 7 failed attempts at Win 10 via the Windows Update I noticed there is a folder now on the C:/ drive
$Windows.~BT . Inside among many other files is a setup.exe file . I just clicked on it (did not execute it) and
it appeared to be a Windows installation program . I just wondered if anyone knows if I could safely try this route
instead of going through the Windows Update . By the way Windows Update included NVidia Driver update but they failed
during the update process too .:confused: Still have Win 7 to fall back on . Microsoft sure making this a PIA for some of us for sure .

Rich

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I can download the Win 10 upgrade from the net and put it on thumb drive or DVD disk and try to install it from there . worth a try . I thought I read this in my travels .

I have seen many warnings on Reddit regarding executing the Setup.exe in the $Windows.~BT folder, so I would advice not to do so.

flaviossa
July 30th, 2015, 06:07
wow..i feel a little guilty for how easy it went for me..

Me too! Installed perfectly in less than 40 minutes. One thing: i installed using a ISO (Not win upgrade icon) created thru MS site. Put the disc and it did the rest, including activating it for me. To be honest, the only thing that win10 failed was detecting my USB 3.0 ports and ASUS don´t have a win10 driver yet. Aside that, everything perfect and FSX-SE working likea charm.

gdavej
July 30th, 2015, 06:44
I upgraded my Win8.1 to Win10 using the MediaCreationToolx64.exe tool available from Microsoft. It was straightforward, although it did take a long time... 5 hours from clicking on the MediaCreationToolx64 tool, to seeing the Win10 desktop. I did have a lot of software already installed, so that's probably why my upgrade took so long, when others have seen it complete in 40 minutes.

Crusader
July 30th, 2015, 07:35
I might wait for a couple months or maybe say the hell with it . 7 times failed with Windows Update and 2 times with MediaCreationToolx64.exe tool . I quit :banghead:

dhazelgrove
July 30th, 2015, 08:39
Interesting. The latest optional update for Windows 8.1 makes the 'Windows 10' icon vanish altogether.

I wonder if M$ are trying to tell us something.....

Dave

glh
July 30th, 2015, 08:51
Interesting. The latest optional update for Windows 8.1 makes the 'Windows 10' icon vanish altogether.

I wonder if M$ are trying to tell us something.....

Dave

I think they're trying to tell you the same thing that has existed throughout their entire history of issuing "upgrades" to their operating systems:

Wait until a manufacturer installs a certified working copy of Win 10 on a production machine and then go buy the machine. Otherwise, beat your brains out against a brick wall with all the troubles updating files, drivers, etc.

I learned this after the Win98 "upgrade" for Win95.

rich12545
July 30th, 2015, 09:22
Well, I'm still waiting for the download. I updated from dos to win95. Then to win98. Then to winXP. Then to Win7. Never had a problem.

Montie
July 30th, 2015, 09:32
I have lost count of how many times I tried upgrading from Windows 7. I have run the Download Tool 64x, I have created a USB installer, used Windows Update, run my anti virus software, disabled the anti virus software, disabled Windows Defender, cleaned the registry, repaired the registry, repaired permissions all to end up with the same install error at approx. 45 %. I think I might just give up now, I am lost.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Montie/win10error_zpsjfeeuqcy.jpg~original (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Montie/media/win10error_zpsjfeeuqcy.jpg.html)

gradyhappyg
July 30th, 2015, 09:54
Well curiosity got the better of me. Tried it didn't like it got rid of it. The bright side is it took only 30 minutes to revert back to W7 and all is running as before compared to the 4 hours it took to install 10. The reasons were 1. the GPU driver installed with W10 didn't play well with my older games and there are no other options for my old on board GPU 2. most of the new features were things I'll probably never use anyway 3. there was a background service called runtimebroker which kept my CPU pegged at least 20% and up to 40% with no programs or Apps running and no amount of shutting it down would keep it off nor could be moved or deleted or disabled.

So Thanks MS but no thanks I'll keep what I got.

patful
July 30th, 2015, 10:13
Well curiosity got the better of me. Tried it didn't like it got rid of it. The bright side is it took only 30 minutes to revert back to W7 and all is running as before compared to the 4 hours it took to install 10. The reasons were 1. the GPU driver installed with W10 didn't play well with my older games and there are no other options for my old on board GPU 2. most of the new features were things I'll probably never use anyway 3. there was a background service called runtimebroker which kept my CPU pegged at least 20% and up to 40% with no programs or Apps running and no amount of shutting it down would keep it off nor could be moved or deleted or disabled. So Thanks MS but no thanks I'll keep what I got. That's what I wanted to hear. I've trimmed my W7 rig down to just 35 processes running including AV, didn't want anything new slowing FSX down. I have no use for touch screens, apps, talking assistants, or the like. My interest is waning. Somebody tell me why I need Windows 10 before I cancel the reservation.

Dangerous Beans
July 30th, 2015, 10:24
I think I'll hang on to my copy of Win7 and just buy Win10 if I decide to get it at some point.

I just did a windows update and one of the optional updates it offered was for this
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2952664
It might be some help for those having problems so check windows update before trying to upgrade again, this ones for Win7 but there may be a similar one for Win8 too.

Naismith
July 30th, 2015, 10:52
Just a point of interest, the W10 notification icon disappeared from the taskbar. I checked the Windows update settings and they had been changed from check for updates and let me choose to automatic. I changed it back as I really don't want W10 installed until at the very least most of the glitches have been solved.

dhazelgrove
July 30th, 2015, 12:01
Just a point of interest, the W10 notification icon disappeared from the taskbar. I checked the Windows update settings and they had been changed from check for updates and let me choose to automatic. I changed it back as I really don't want W10 installed until at the very least most of the glitches have been solved.

It didn't do that for me. I've just checked and mine is still as it was (let me choose).

Dave

IanHenry
July 30th, 2015, 12:02
Me too! Installed perfectly in less than 40 minutes. One thing: i installed using a ISO (Not win upgrade icon) created thru MS site. Put the disc and it did the rest, including activating it for me. To be honest, the only thing that win10 failed was detecting my USB 3.0 ports and ASUS don´t have a win10 driver yet. Aside that, everything perfect and FSX-SE working likea charm.

Where did you find the activation key? I've tried using my Windows 7 key and it doesn't except it.

Ian

Navy Chief
July 30th, 2015, 12:39
Have only created an ISO once in my life. No idea how to even do so now...NC

flaviossa
July 30th, 2015, 13:34
@IanHenry: I didn´t used any key. I have a win8.1 pro associated to one microsoft account i have. I used this account in win10 instalation process and win10 created a key automatic for me. I didin´t write my win8 serial anywhere :encouragement:

falcon409
July 30th, 2015, 13:37
I've been hooked in to receive the Win10 program as soon as it's available, but thus far the only thing I have is the hidden folder ($Windows.~BT) which contains everything except what goes in the folder called "NewOS". . . .that folder is empty. Gee, wonder what goes in there? If you have that hidden folder but nothing has happened yet, you might check to see if it also has one empty folder.

patful
July 30th, 2015, 14:08
I've been hooked in to receive the Win10 program as soon as it's available, but thus far the only thing I have is the hidden folder ($Windows.~BT) which contains everything except what goes in the folder called "NewOS". . . .that folder is empty. Gee, wonder what goes in there? If you have that hidden folder but nothing has happened yet, you might check to see if it also has one empty folder.

Yesterday, the message said Win10 was ready to install, but I never found that folder. Today, it says my copy of Win10 has been reserved. Craziness.

Bjoern
July 30th, 2015, 14:50
How big is the "Windows" folder after installing 10?
I fear that 7 and all its accumulated junk will be kept, while 10 will occupy another 20GB or so of disk space.
It doesn't make it any better that my SSD is almost full.

I am Intrigued as to what MS$ has to gain. If 3 million users take up this offer theystand to loose 660 million dollars on this in a time where profit is everything.

This has been discussed before. W10 is and will only be a platform for other things to make money with. Like cloud based storage service or apps sold through the store.

I think they're trying to tell you the same thing that has existed throughout their entire history of issuing "upgrades" to their operating systems:

Wait until a manufacturer installs a certified working copy of Win 10 on a production machine and then go buy the machine. Otherwise, beat your brains out against a brick wall with all the troubles updating files, drivers, etc.

I learned this after the Win98 "upgrade" for Win95.

The golden rule is never to upgrade, but to got for a clean installation from the start. This, however, sadly is not possible for Windows 10 though, at least not before you've upgraded.

Upgrade, clean installation and whatnot, you haven't lived until you have installed any modular Linux distribution. Install the kernel and a few important core modules, then install the networking module and use the package manager to download whatever yout think you need to get stated. Masochists compile every module and program before they install them. Any Windows installation is kindergarten compared to that. ;)

Gdavis101
July 30th, 2015, 15:01
I went ahead and did the upgrade on my Laptop which was Windows 8.. Everything went okay for me and the upgrade was relatively easy.. Now, I run Win 7 on my Desktop and that is where I run FSX but I just can't bring myself to do it because I do not want to face a situation of having to reinstall everything FS if something goes hinky..

gdavej
July 30th, 2015, 17:53
To everybody who's tried and failed to install Windows 10: think yourself lucky. I "upgraded" my laptop from Windows 8.1. and after hours of messing around with it, getting more and more frustrated, I'm actually contemplating installing Windows 8 back on the laptop. Half the apps don't work because I don't have permission to write to files in my home directory, it's slow, Edge is worse than IE, and it even disabled my virus scanner (Kaspersky). No way will I contemplate "upgrading" Windows 7 on my desktop PC, the one I use for FSX.

patful
July 30th, 2015, 18:27
Edge is worse than IE... Surely you jest. How could anything be slower than IE? That was one of the main reasons I considered the switch. Firefox is getting laggy.

gradyhappyg
July 30th, 2015, 18:47
That's what I wanted to hear. I've trimmed my W7 rig down to just 35 processes running including AV, didn't want anything new slowing FSX down. I have no use for touch screens, apps, talking assistants, or the like. My interest is waning. Somebody tell me why I need Windows 10 before I cancel the reservation.

The only reason I can think of is continued "Microsoft support" whatever that means. I figure by the time I need to worry about that my already 8 year old machine will be giving up the ghost anyhow. Just wasn't all that impressed with W10. It wasn't any faster booting or shutting down in fact most apps seemed much slower to load than in W7. For example FSX-Steam usually up and running in less than two minutes took close to five.

patful
July 30th, 2015, 19:31
The only reason I can think of is continued "Microsoft support" whatever that means. I figure by the time I need to worry about that my already 8 year old machine will be giving up the ghost anyhow. Just wasn't all that impressed with W10. It wasn't any faster booting or shutting down in fact most apps seemed much slower to load than in W7. For example FSX-Steam usually up and running in less than two minutes took close to five. Thanks. I only have a 5-year-old Athlon II 3.2 quad, just got FSX a couple of months ago because I wanted to gauge what I would need for my next computer to run it. Turns out it's running FSX pretty well, happy with it, don't want to upset the cart with a bloated Win10. If I do build my own rig, I might take a look at Win10 before I do.

Jafo
July 30th, 2015, 20:30
Win 10 won't be 'bloated'. It follows on from the improvements to the kernel in 8 that showed a capability to run on lower spec machines than even 7 could.

The only issue with 10 is it's the embodiment of......

....Skynet...;)

CG_1976
July 30th, 2015, 20:31
Is the W10 preview available still?? I am still W8.1 and the update wont go in and keeps reverting me back to W8.1 at the 45% mark and something about the boot phase mark failure. Montie posted the pic I am having. In theory I am wondering if I should go preview and then would I still be legit for a upgrade or just keep trying lol. The Casino down the Road has a lot of frustrated W8.1 users drinking lol cause of the update to W10.

manfredc3
July 30th, 2015, 21:39
Well the upgrade from W7 on the laptop went smooth.

Seems to load up slower than W7. I had W8 upgrade on it before, that loaded up really fast, but as I hated W8, I rolled back to W7 at that time.

Other than the slower startup, all seems to be working fine so far, and no driver issues.

I looked at Edge, but quickly went back to Chrome. Can't even get to internet options without searching for it, so that you can change the home page. It's not letting you load a new tab with the home page either.

No, I will stay with Chrome.

I did turn off that darn nosy assistant, set the internet connection to metered, so that I can control when updates are downloaded and installed.
Oh, And I also turned off that ridiculous wifi sharing.

Well, knowing me I will be messing around to see what else MS put in this version, that only benefits their "need-to-know".

Other than that, as I said, it's running just fine, Not showing up as ready to upgrade on my fsx rig yet, but I am not ready for that one for a while anyway.

gradyhappyg
July 30th, 2015, 22:27
Win 10 won't be 'bloated'. It follows on from the improvements to the kernel in 8 that showed a capability to run on lower spec machines than even 7 could.

The only issue with 10 is it's the embodiment of......

....Skynet...;)

That all depends on what apps and programs you run and type and age of your machine. On mine W10 was eating CPU and memory like a hungry PacMan was making his rounds on the circuit boards. My CPU usage never fell below 20% with nothing but the background programs and services running and was spiking much higher than that. So it's a no go for now. Considering how easy it was to revert back to 7 might try it again in say 11 months 20 days if I can ever save enough cash for a decent GPU that will work with W10 and my older games.

CG_1976
July 31st, 2015, 02:41
I have lost count of how many times I tried upgrading from Windows 7. I have run the Download Tool 64x, I have created a USB installer, used Windows Update, run my anti virus software, disabled the anti virus software, disabled Windows Defender, cleaned the registry, repaired the registry, repaired permissions all to end up with the same install error at approx. 45 %. I think I might just give up now, I am lost.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Montie/win10error_zpsjfeeuqcy.jpg~original (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Montie/media/win10error_zpsjfeeuqcy.jpg.html)

Found something interesting http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/100781-windows-10-launch-imminent/page-4 Im gonna experiment and see what happens.

papab
July 31st, 2015, 02:53
Used Media Creation Tool to download W10 to my Surface Pro 3
1/2 hour later- working like a champ!

Lucky I guess.....
Rick

CG_1976
July 31st, 2015, 04:44
Bingo W10 finally. The Orbx forum issue and trick did it. Now how do I shut up that female tramp voice thing lol.

papab
July 31st, 2015, 05:06
Well the upgrade from W7 on the laptop went smooth.

I looked at Edge, but quickly went back to Chrome. Can't even get to internet options without searching for it, so that you can change the home page. It's not letting you load a new tab with the home page either.

Open MS Edge
Click on the three dots (...) on the top right of the window
Click on settings
Select: open with (specific page or pages)
Type in the web address in the box below
Click on the PLUS sign to the right of the web address box to add it
Your done!

Took me several try's before I realized I had to add the address by clicking the PLUS sign...

Rick

WarHorse47
July 31st, 2015, 07:12
After reading a variety of posts on different forums, I canceled my Win10 reservation and decided to wait awhile. My win8.1 is running just fine, as is FSX and FS9.

After Tuesday's release, I noticed on the icon missing from my taskbar. I thought great, no more reminder.

This morning the icon is back once again to remind me to "Get Windows 10." Sigh. Guess its going to stay there for awhile.

rich12545
July 31st, 2015, 07:32
I should have cancelled too. Updated and am having problems with fsx. It won't work in full screen. The aircraft pic doesn't show up in the free flight setup. I can live with those but NVidia inspector doesn't seem to work in winx. I can't live with the shimmering. If I don't find a solution, it's back to win7.

wombat666
July 31st, 2015, 07:45
I fear that 7 and all its accumulated junk will be kept, while 10 will occupy another 20GB or so of disk space.
It doesn't make it any better that my SSD is almost full.

Not a problem Bjoern, Samsung have just added a 2TB drive to the 850Evo SSD line.
:encouragement:

oldmsgt
July 31st, 2015, 08:31
Well, curiosity got the better of me. Upgraded to Windows 10 last night, took about 2 1/2 hours. Shouldn't have bothered, FSX doesn't work! So this morning I've gone back to Windows 8.1 and all is well again. Upgrade if you so desire, but be prepared for the end result to be something less than perfect.
Cheers...
:ernaehrung004:
Old MSgt

ncooper
July 31st, 2015, 08:31

17.7GB.

Nick.

CG_1976
July 31st, 2015, 08:43
My FSX/SE and Prepar3D both work so far no issue's under window mode and AMD/ATI released W10 driver's.

manfredc3
July 31st, 2015, 08:49
Open MS Edge
Click on the three dots (...) on the top right of the window
Click on settings
Select: open with (specific page or pages)
Type in the web address in the box below
Click on the PLUS sign to the right of the web address box to add it
Your done!

Took me several try's before I realized I had to add the address by clicking the PLUS sign...

Rick

I did try that, but every time I started Edge, it just went to a page stating "where to go next", or something like that. then I typed "Internet Options" in the search bar, and... wow, there was the known window to set the home page. Hence why I went back to Chrome.

Cowboy1968
July 31st, 2015, 09:05
According to everything i have found, the problems lay in Directx 12 itself. Seems to be causing problems with the flight sims. I will continue to use Windows 10 because my computers and there setups aren't just for flight sims. I use these machines for other things as well.

Until Directx issues are solved i will run in Windows mode. I will get use to those menus up there. Graphics are still just as good.

mjrhealth
July 31st, 2015, 13:24
This has been discussed before. W10 is and will only be a platform for other things to make money with. Like cloud based storage service or apps sold through the store.

We are so ignorant of modern day society. I Guess MS has done something that no government agency could ever hope to do, the largest private information gathering system the world has ever seeing

MS$ motives,

catch there is always a catch

http://thenextweb.co...07/29/wind-nos/ (http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/)

Bjoern
July 31st, 2015, 14:26
Went for the plunge today.

Installation was smooth. Was done within an hour, including downloading updates (and drivers) during installation.
Chose to go for a clean slate (no programs and settings) and ended up with a 13 GB folder for Win 10. Not bad!
Also switched off anything I don't need, including all the settings for sending usage data to MS.

My shell replacement of choice, BBLean, runs, but does not display wallpapers. Will take this to the dev.

Reinstalling Steam and adding the libraries from other drives (including FSXSE) went without a hitch.

FSXSE suffers from the black menu screen problem (when in full screen) though. According to the Steam forums, this is a rather common bug in W10.
Might have something to do with a missing dependency or erroneously installed video card driver.

I like W10 so far. It doesn't matter if some programs won't run just yet, it really looks like a keeper..

Not a problem Bjoern, Samsung have just added a 2TB drive to the 850Evo SSD line.
:encouragement:

Are you gonna buy me one? :D

17.7GB.

Nick.

Thanks. Ultimately, concern was ultimately unfounded though (see above).

Bjoern
July 31st, 2015, 14:42
We are so ignorant of modern day society. I Guess MS has done something that no government agency could ever hope to do, the largest private information gathering system the world has ever seeing

MS$ motives,

http://thenextweb.co...07/29/wind-nos/ (http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/)

Anyone spending ten minutes within the settings menu will be able to find such items (and hopefully turn them off). This is not just particular to MS and Win 10, but any other tool incorporating the gathering of usage statistics. Or any social network like Facebook or LinkedIn. Or Google.

The basic equation is that services cost money. Either you pay for them directly or let others pay for them by shoving targeted advertisements in your face.
This is acceptable (I am getting something for free in return) as long as you're free to opt out at any time or reduce said gathered data to an anonymized minimum.
And it should be every user's primary task to find and turn off such settings after subscribing to a new service (OS or social or similar), just like you constantly need to beware of tricksters or suspicious fine print in the real world.

Btw: The world champion in unwarranted data gathering without any chance for resistance has been exposed a few years ago. It wasn't an international, private company.

Bjoern
July 31st, 2015, 17:29
Found the culprit for the black screen when not in windowed mode. It's Win 10's Desktop Window Manager.

There is a workaround, but it only works when using a window manager other than Win10's (like Blackbox), otherwise you will end up with no choice but to hard reboot your PC.
Trust me when I say that the hassle simply isn't worth it. Keep FSX windowed until there's an official or better fix and you'll be fine.

Jafo
July 31st, 2015, 19:29
While you're turning off 'unwanted' features of the Win 10 'update' you might also want to turn off the quaint trick that sees MS using YOUR upload bandwidth to torrent the download/install process for others.

Neat trick...considering they don't actually make a point of seeking your permission first....

...oh, that's right....**** the EULA ...and be the first one on your block to do so...;)

Montie
August 1st, 2015, 01:13
The Orbx "Todo" files was the reason I could not install as well. Now typing from Windows 10.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/100781-windows-10-launch-imminent/?p=911634

Dumonceau
August 1st, 2015, 03:28
A small tip for people who're having performance issues:

- open up the command prompt
- type "winsat formal" and hit enter.
- let it run and when it is finished reboot.

Winsat is a built in assessment and optimization tool. Just had it run on my laptop and it works quite a bit better now. Winsat also forces your SSD to be recognized as such and will permit you to optimize the disk without resorting to defrag which you should never do with an SSD.

Hope this helps!

Johan

Dumonceau
August 1st, 2015, 03:39

MS$ motives,

If you go to settings and select privacy, you will be able to disable all of those nasties. Another thing that helps is installing Win10 with a local account instead of a Microsoft account.

Windows 10 is the future people. There is no way around it. Support for windows 7 will end in 2020 and Windows 8.1 in 2023.

We're entering the era of "Windows as a service".

To me personally, these are hugely interesting times!

Johan

Dumonceau
August 1st, 2015, 04:07
Here are a few usefull links on tweaking the new Windows:

http://www.windowscentral.com/5-settings-tips-make-your-windows-10-experience-more-enjoyable
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-quick-tips-hacks-optimize-windows-10-experience/

All things that used to be present in 7 and XP are still there, just in other places. And 10 offers a lot of other possibilities as well.

Some of you already know that I'm not a big fan of M$ as a firm, but this new OS is very promising indeed. There are still some things that need to be sorted out, but look at it as a new toy!

Johan

jeansy
August 1st, 2015, 04:17
Interesting no problems installing it on 2 laptops, haven't done the tower yet

IanHenry
August 1st, 2015, 08:18

Winsat is a built in assessment and optimization tool. Just had it run on my laptop and it works quite a bit better now. Winsat also forces your SSD to be recognized as such and will permit you to optimize the disk without resorting to defrag which you should never do with an SSD.

Hope this helps!

Johan

Thanks Johan,
That's a great tip, I was just about to give up on Windows 10, it's been so slow to do almost everything.

Ian

Dumonceau
August 1st, 2015, 08:38
Another thing.

Just visited a friend of mine who had the update done. He also was suffering from very very poor performance. and loads of diskspace that was occupied.

I opened up his windows explorer, C: drive and found that there were two windows folders. One named windows.old and another windows pure and simple.

You can safely remove the windows.old folder AFTER having done the winsat formal command and reboot.

This will vastly improve your boot up time.

People who're having problems, feel free to pm me. Last week I was given some pretty elaborate briefings about windows 10 by Microsoft at work. We will migrate all our PC's to windows 10 as soon as our older model PC's have been phased out.

Johan

EDIT: please take into account the time difference. I live in Belgium
EDIT2: renew your drivers and DirectX!

Lane Street
August 1st, 2015, 08:58
You can safely remove the windows.old folder AFTER having done the winsat formal command and reboot.

Won't that kill any possibility to revert back to your previous Win version?

cheers,
Lane

Dumonceau
August 1st, 2015, 09:29
Won't that kill any possibility to revert back to your previous Win version?

cheers,
Lane

Yes it will. But the whole thing is that people who stay with older versions of Windows will get screwed very very soon if they don't move over.

Johan

DaveSHQ
August 1st, 2015, 09:43
FSX and 3rd party add one seem to load faster for me. Frame rates in game about same.

napacon
August 1st, 2015, 09:47
WIN 10 is not inherently bad as Win 8 is! Its an improvement! HOWEVER AS A gamer,ONE WHO FLYS desk top simulators..BE IT FS 9 OR FSX I must be aware of WIN 10 impact on them..Thats it?? Nothing else matters..WILL IT ACCOMMODATE our world here?..free of Grief,or being required to be a SUPER GEEK??..I went thru the Drill,and so far not impressed.Installed ,and uninstalled....lost FS9 but got it back on Win 7 again..will not attempt any FSX..be it Steam or Disk...Hoping we get clear Official instructions as to the effect of WIN 10 in our world....Microsoft I feel does not factor in FLIGHTSIMING,...As witnessed with "FLIGHT"...CAVEAT EMPTOR

Dumonceau
August 1st, 2015, 09:54
WIN 10 is not inherently bad as Win 8 is! Its an improvement! HOWEVER AS A gamer,ONE WHO FLYS desk top simulators..BE IT FS 9 OR FSX I must be aware of WIN 10 impact on them..Thats it?? Nothing else matters..WILL IT ACCOMMODATE our world here?..free of Grief,or being required to be a SUPER GEEK??..I went thru the Drill,and so far not impressed.Installed ,and uninstalled....lost FS9 but got it back on Win 7 again..will not attempt any FSX..be it Steam or Disk...Hoping we get clear Official instructions as to the effect of WIN 10 in our world....Microsoft I feel does not factor in FLIGHTSIMING,...As witnessed with "FLIGHT"...CAVEAT EMPTOR

Napacon, I'll let you know as soon as I have the image from work. I don't do upgrades, I only do clean installs. And I no longer run FSX. I moved over to the only evolving flightsim available. It is called Prepar3D.

But, please let me repeat myself: Windows 10 is the only way forward. Very soon, older versions of Windows will become a menace.

The world evolves and there is very little we can do about it.

Johan

papab
August 1st, 2015, 09:59
Johan,
I installed W10 on my new surface pro 3
When I tried to run "winsat formal" it just blinked and came right back to the CMD prompt
Is it okay to delete the window.old folder?

It is taking up 23.1 GB on my hard drive!
Thanks
Rick

papab
August 1st, 2015, 10:09
Here is a link that will step you thru deleting the Windows.old Folder:
I got rid of 23 GB:applause:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2066-windows-old-folder-delete-windows-10-a.html

Rick

Dumonceau
August 1st, 2015, 10:35
Johan,
I installed W10 on my new surface pro 3
When I tried to run "winsat formal" it just blinked and came right back to the CMD prompt
Is it okay to delete the window.old folder?

It is taking up 23.1 GB on my hard drive!
Thanks
Rick

Do you have UAC running? That is probably the problem!

And thanks for that link of tenforums. Should have thought to go there!

Johan

hairyspin
August 1st, 2015, 10:36
Amusing reading the replies from those who have been exploring the bleeding edge: some happily, others battered and bloodstained. So do I make the jump, or not? Decisions, decisions. :mixed-smiley-027: Certainly there's no rush...

Dumonceau
August 1st, 2015, 10:38
Amusing reading the replies from those who have been exploring the bleeding edge: some happily, others battered and bloodstained. So do I make the jump, or not? Decisions, decisions. :mixed-smiley-027: Certainly there's no rush...

You have a whole year to decide Tom. And in that period the updates and fixes will be here to alleviate most problems!

Johan

papab
August 1st, 2015, 10:39
UAC was set to never
No problem-window.old folder is gone!
Rick

napacon
August 1st, 2015, 13:39
Napacon, I'll let you know as soon as I have the image from work. I don't do upgrades, I only do clean installs. And I no longer run FSX. I moved over to the only evolving flightsim available. It is called Prepar3D.

But, please let me repeat myself: Windows 10 is the only way forward. Very soon, older versions of Windows will become a menace.

The world evolves and there is very little we can do about it.

Johan...Hi Johan ..Thnx much...I see in the STEAM FSX they have some clear interpretations of using FSX STEAM with WIN 10....Users can find it in their start up....I agree WIN 10 OK ...I like it,can customize it..BUT,and a BIG BUT,it can give many problems..To Flight Sim Users,as witnessed by many comments..CIAO My Friend

CG_1976
August 1st, 2015, 14:33
UAC was set to never
No problem-window.old folder I gone!
Rick

I have my UAC set the same way, but it wont delete it lol.

papab
August 1st, 2015, 14:49
I have my UAC set the same way, but it wont delete it lol.

See this link to uninstall windows.old folder

Plus click on the forum tab-a lot of great stuff......
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2066-windows-old-folder-delete-windows-10-a.html

Rick

Bjoern
August 1st, 2015, 18:03
Some more findings:

1. Get a proper anti virus program. Windows Defender might be okay as basic protection, but it took booting a full FSX install (user aircraft, tons of AI, some sceneries) to ridiculous lengths because its real time scanning algorithm is rather inefficient. After installing my standard Antivirus program (Avira Free), FSX now boots about as fast as on Windows 7.

2. The solution for FSX' full screen issues is running it in windowed borderless mode. Windowed borderless, as far as I know, expands the application window so that the borders are off-screen. There are several tools to do this; all freeware.

1. https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming/releases/tag/8.2
2. http://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/home
3. This one is in the Avsim library

I've only tested #1 and #3 and I found the latter to be the better option.

Advantages of the windowed borderless mode:
- Alt+Tab to other windows is fully supported. No more going into windowed mode before being able to do stuff in other tools or folders.
- An easy solution to the DWM problem
- Tools to achieve this are lightweight and free
- Gauge tooltips will work in DX10 mode

Disadvantage:
- You have to set ForceWindowedVSync=1 in the fsx.cfg to get VSync
- No support for the "1/2 Refresh Rate" tweak from NVidia Inspector. It's FSX' standard VSync behaviour in FSX, which means 60 Hz and lower all the way.
- Framerate might be very slightly lower in windowed mode

Anti-Aliasing and anisotropic filtering modes set in NVidia Inspector are retained in windowed mode.

Is the full screen issue present for everyone, by the way?

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Johan! Exactly what could help remedy the ridiculous boot time of my desktop's W10 installation.
(Everything is find and dandy on the laptop that I've just installed it on, though. Talk about weird.)

A small note about SSDs: From what I have read, the disk optimization feature for them in W10 only invokes TRIM, which is perfectly fine SSDs.

Another thing.

Just visited a friend of mine who had the update done. He also was suffering from very very poor performance. and loads of diskspace that was occupied.

I opened up his windows explorer, C: drive and found that there were two windows folders. One named windows.old and another windows pure and simple.

I don't know if Disk Cleanup actively scans for the presence of such a folder, but I recommend not deleting it via File Explorer. Let the tool do it for you and trim away some other bloat in the process-
(I gained about 3 GB by deleting windows.old, btw.)

If you have another desktop PC or laptop handy for the worst case scenario and don't have much clutter that has to be sorted and backed up on your system partition, go for it!

patful
August 1st, 2015, 21:54
This is garbage. Even if I uncheck Windows 10 in the list of optional updates, it begins downloading it when I try to install other updates. I even went back to the W10 app and cancelled my reservation, no luck. I guess this is their way of making sure everyone uses 10. Ugh.

b52bob
August 1st, 2015, 22:34
I should have known. After a full day of pulling my hair out, and don't have that much, I'm at a standstill.

i have a very weak wifi signal here and I have to log onto the park system to get anything. After downloading the upgrade, the install started. While updating to the new os, the computer resets more than once wiping out my internet connection. The only way to get it back is to log on again from windows which i can't do.

is it right that during the install, windows uses the Internet? If it does, what can a person do that has a weak or no internet to upgrade?

inquiring minds want to know.

bob

DaveWG
August 1st, 2015, 22:45
Upgraded both my tablet (was Win8.1) and desktop (win7) without any hassle. Every prog I've tried so far seems to work fine.
No issues with P3d. FSX works in both windowed and full screen in DX10 mode, not tried dx9. I did run the DX web installer first though.
VRS TacPack & Superbug required re-authorizing, and I expect there will be others as I go along.
Impressions so far are "it's OK", some bits I like, others not so much.

Dumonceau
August 1st, 2015, 22:50
I should have known. After a full day of pulling my hair out, and don't have that much, I'm at a standstill.

i have a very weak wifi signal here and I have to log onto the park system to get anything. After downloading the upgrade, the install started. While updating to the new os, the computer resets more than once wiping out my internet connection. The only way to get it back is to log on again from windows which i can't do.

is it right that during the install, windows uses the Internet? If it does, what can a person do that has a weak or no internet to upgrade?

inquiring minds want to know.

bob

Bob,

Take a look at this page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You'll be able to create your own installation media.

Johan

Penz
August 1st, 2015, 23:34
Is the full screen issue present for everyone, by the way?
Amazingly, full screen (FSX-MS, DX9) works on my antique GTX 260, using the OS-supplied NVidia driver. No idea why and how, but it sure does.

(NOTE: This is after an update of the existing Win 7, not a complete format/reinstall.).

Wim
August 2nd, 2015, 01:34
Installed Win10 on my old Dell T5500 with Nvidia Quadro Fx1800. FSX and FS9 works just fine in full screen mode. No problems encountered.

Bjoern
August 2nd, 2015, 04:21
Amazingly, full screen (FSX-MS, DX9) works on my antique GTX 260, using the OS-supplied NVidia driver. No idea why and how, but it sure does.

(NOTE: This is after an update of the existing Win 7, not a complete format/reinstall.).

Installed Win10 on my old Dell T5500 with Nvidia Quadro Fx1800. FSX and FS9 works just fine in full screen mode. No problems encountered.

Including loading bar and menus? If this is the case, it's mildly disconcerting.

I suspect that there are some bits from Windows 7 carried over into 10 during an upgrade, including some .dll files or so.

To be sure, I have installed every VC++ runtime between here and Tucson as well as .NET framework 3 after a clean install of 10, but those weren't the culprits. Hmmmm...

Penz
August 2nd, 2015, 04:37
Including loading bar and menus? If this is the case, it's mildly disconcerting.

I suspect that there are some bits from Windows 7 carried over into 10 during an upgrade, including some .dll files or so.

To be sure, I have installed every VC++ runtime between here and Tucson as well as .NET framework 3 after a clean install of 10, but those weren't the culprits. Hmmmm...
I'll have to revise my previously enthusiastic post; FSX full screen does not work correctly - I do indeed get loading bar and menus issues.

Sorry.

Bjoern
August 2nd, 2015, 16:52
winsat formal

This is either a very good placebo or it really did help. I'm drunk and I can't really remember the exact time at which I ran it, but the event logs show a boot time decrease from 48 seconds to 33 seconds somewhere in that time frame. Could also be Win 10s boot optimization routines at work.

I'll have to revise my previously enthusiastic post; FSX full screen does not work correctly - I do indeed get loading bar and menus issues.

Sorry.

That's totally okay, Penz. It only confirms my findings and the implication that this is a global issue.

Jafo
August 2nd, 2015, 17:43
The concept of what 'windows' actually means in....Windows was lost [by Microsoft] with the release of Win8 .... so much so that Stardock made a tidy profit releasing software to 'cure' MS's idiocy....since backstepped [a bit] by MS with the release of 8.1.
10 is a further admission they-got-it-wrong however outside assistance is probably still going to be needed just to get to expectations of functionality users were comfortable with in Windows 7 and all previous.

The specific addon was 'Modernmix' which restored the capacity to display more than 1 [or 2] windows on a screen at any one time - something lost with 8 in an attempt to 'be like' a touch-screen mobile phone interface.

If Win 10 fails to manage game-related full-screen modes currently it's safe to expect one of 2 things will happen.....either MS will pull it's collective head out of its bum and FIX IT, or Stardock will come to the rescue yet again...;p

Bjoern
August 2nd, 2015, 17:49
Note: The 33 seconds boot time was with "Fast Boot" disabled. I've reenabled it and the PC now start up in a negilible amount of time.

The concept of what 'windows' actually means in....Windows was lost [by Microsoft] with the release of Win8 .... so much so that Stardock made a tidy profit releasing software to 'cure' MS's idiocy....since backstepped [a bit] by MS with the release of 8.1.
10 is a further admission they-got-it-wrong however outside assistance is probably still going to be needed just to get to expectations of functionality users were comfortable with in Windows 7 and all previous.

The specific addon was 'Modernmix' which restored the capacity to display more than 1 [or 2] windows on a screen at any one time - something lost with 8 in an attempt to 'be like' a touch-screen mobile phone interface.

If Win 10 fails to manage game-related full-screen modes currently it's safe to expect one of 2 things will happen.....either MS will pull it's collective head out of its bum and FIX IT, or Stardock will come to the rescue yet again...;p

I've upgraded a laptop last night from XP to 8.1 and from 8.1 to 10. The time spent with 8's atrocious interface was at a minimum. Seriously, I couldn't even find the Control Panel! Wiondows 8.1 is the F-101 among operating systems!

Cirrus N210MS
August 2nd, 2015, 19:20
windows 10 is running great with fsx se no probs at all no crashing :jump:

txnetcop
August 2nd, 2015, 19:33
windows 10 is running great with fsx se no probs at all no crashing :jump:

I'm gonna have to agree with Cirrus. I'm running an old OC'd 775 QX9650 with a GTX 285 and 4GB of Viper ram. I replaced Windows 7 (apprehensively in light of what I have seen). I did erase my old Windows 7 files after extracting what I wanted and it runs my apps and games without a flaw in full Windows mode. It is fast and I just love to be able to talk to my PC without a special program being loaded. LOL! I'm not too nutty over EDGE yet. I felt so good about it that I checked whether WIN 10 would handle my tablet and it gave me the green light then proceeded to download Win 10 on my Windows 8.1 tablet and all hell broke loose! Working on it...
Ted

flaviossa
August 2nd, 2015, 20:27
Some shots of my "naked" sims so far in Win10 Pro:

P3D:
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/08/03/p3d3.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/08/03/p3d1.jpg

FSX:
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/08/03/fsx.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/08/03/fsx2.jpg

Will begin the painfull process of instalation of tons of addons this week. Nice that i´m off duty!

Bjoern
August 3rd, 2015, 10:22
FSX apparently works full screen in DX10 mode. Meh.

Dumonceau
August 3rd, 2015, 10:40
I'm gonna have to agree with Cirrus. I'm running an old OC'd 775 QX9650 with a GTX 285 and 4GB of Viper ram. I replaced Windows 7 (apprehensively in light of what I have seen). I did erase my old Windows 7 files after extracting what I wanted and it runs my apps and games without a flaw in full Windows mode. It is fast and I just love to be able to talk to my PC without a special program being loaded. LOL! I'm not too nutty over EDGE yet. I felt so good about it that I checked whether WIN 10 would handle my tablet and it gave me the green light then proceeded to download Win 10 on my Windows 8.1 tablet and all hell broke loose! Working on it...
Ted

Hi Ted,

What happened to the tablet, and what tablet do you have?

Cheers,

Johan

Dumonceau
August 3rd, 2015, 10:47
winsat formal

This is either a very good placebo or it really did help. I'm drunk and I can't really remember the exact time at which I ran it, but the event logs show a boot time decrease from 48 seconds to 33 seconds somewhere in that time frame. Could also be Win 10s boot optimization routines at work.

It does indeed work. I got it from a Microsoft PFE (a dedicated M$ tech) who advised us about Win10. (she's also an incredibly sexy girl, but that is irrelevant)

In terms of optimization, windows 10 really is a huge step forward.

And best of all, today I laid my mits on a fresh copy of Windows 10 professional 64 bit. I'm going to image my gaming rig today so that I can move over coming weekend. I'm very excited about this! The added bonus is that I'll be able to do a fresh, clean and crispy install.

Johan

FAC257
August 3rd, 2015, 12:41
I'm not too nutty over EDGE yet. Ted

The Edge was something that took a little while for me to catch on too. Once I found where all the items I used for browsing were tucked away, I'm sold.
It's really a slick improvement. :-)

FAC

txnetcop
August 3rd, 2015, 15:39
Hi Ted,

What happened to the tablet, and what tablet do you have?

Cheers,

Johan

All is well now...got kinda scary there for a little bit! Got it in December as a Christmas gift and it has been a great tablet. I quit using my old first generation Apple iPad tablet. This WinBook tab was fast before Windows 10 but it is even faster now! YEEEEEEHAWWWWW!!! It's a Winbook TW700 Tablet - Windows 8.1 with full-size USB port, IPS Display, and one year of FREE Microsoft Office 365Ted

Bjoern
August 3rd, 2015, 17:40
It does indeed work. I got it from a Microsoft PFE (a dedicated M$ tech) who advised us about Win10. (she's also an incredibly sexy girl, but that is irrelevant)

If it was irrelevant, you would not have mentioned it. ;)

It does make sense if Windows uses different internal settings for different hardware capabilities, but it begs the question why WinSAT is not done by default anymore. Or why one has to do it to optimize stuff.

In terms of optimization, windows 10 really is a huge step forward.

Yes, it really optimized breaking compatibility of programs. :D (SCNR)

Canelo
August 4th, 2015, 12:05
Simply Awesome, Microsoft hit a homerun with 10 :applause:

griphos
August 4th, 2015, 14:57
Winsat, or the Windows System Assessment Tool, just reads your hardware and gives it a score, the WEI score, or Windows Experience Index. You can do the same thing in the Control Panel. It doesn't make any changes. so your system is running the same after you run that.

Cirrus N210MS
August 4th, 2015, 15:29
fsx se on windows 10

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/11741190_10206322414332850_1333594905450353539_o.j pg
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/t31.0-8/11807800_10206324432423301_5988571467316275415_o.j pg

falcon409
August 4th, 2015, 18:23
I've been waiting for something to happen in the task bar with the Win10 Update but every time I check it just says that they're validating my PC for the upgrade. . .really. . .for 2 months or more? Anyway, while I was just talking to someone on my phone I happened to click on Windows Update and low & behold I find that every day since the 29th of July, Win10 has attempted to install and failed each time. Gives me an error code of "80240020" for which I can find no explanation.

Jafo
August 4th, 2015, 18:32
I've been waiting for something to happen in the task bar with the Win10 Update but every time I check it just says that they're validating my PC for the upgrade. . .really. . .for 2 months or more? Anyway, while I was just talking to someone on my phone I happened to click on Windows Update and low & behold I find that every day since the 29th of July, Win10 has attempted to install and failed each time. Gives me an error code of "80240020" for which I can find no explanation.

First hit I found....
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910341

falcon409
August 4th, 2015, 18:35
First hit I found....
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910341
Outdated page. . .doesn't reference the newer OS's. I found what I need for now.

Jafo
August 4th, 2015, 18:39
Outdated page. . .doesn't reference the newer OS's. I found what I need for now.
Wouldn't matter...same error code - same error.
Fix might be different, of course...;)

falcon409
August 4th, 2015, 18:43
. . . . . .Fix might be different, of course. . .
Yep, exactly.

falcon409
August 4th, 2015, 19:09
Win 10 has downloaded and is preparing for installation.

Jafo
August 4th, 2015, 19:27
Win 10 has downloaded and is preparing for installation.

....and sadly, Falcon409 was never heard from again....;)

manfredc3
August 4th, 2015, 21:13
Winsat, or the Windows System Assessment Tool, just reads your hardware and gives it a score, the WEI score, or Windows Experience Index. You can do the same thing in the Control Panel. It doesn't make any changes. so your system is running the same after you run that.

Darned, and here I thought I was special, because I ran the command, and did not experience any difference.:banghead:

falcon409
August 4th, 2015, 21:18
The Upgrade continued to the point where it was "Updating the PC" and got to 24% then almost immediately went to 98% then rebooted and I was back in Win7. Checked Windows Update and the Win10 update had failed with a different error message this time. I don't intend to chase error messages just to get an upgrade. One more try and if that fails I'll be very content to stay with Win7. I have no patience for this sort of crap.

papab
August 4th, 2015, 22:25
Falcon409,
Go here and create your own download:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Just click which version you have and it will do its thing and ask if you want to upgrade this computer,yes

Took about 1/2 hour for my surface pro 3
Rick

falcon409
August 4th, 2015, 22:57
Falcon409,
Go here and create your own download:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Just click which version you have and it will do its thing and ask if you want to upgrade this computer,yes

Took about 1/2 hour for my surface pro 3
Rick
Thanks Rick, but I'm done with Win10. I don't intend to chase error messages and there's no guarantee that even if I try this method I won't get yet another error. I've tried it 3 different times now and each attempted only ends in Win 7 being restored and another error code different from the others. . .a code that apparently can be any number of different problems and not worth the trouble. I'll stick with Win7 which has been problem free.

CG_1976
August 5th, 2015, 00:13
Thanks Rick, but I'm done with Win10. I don't intend to chase error messages and there's no guarantee that even if I try this method I won't get yet another error. I've tried it 3 different times now and each attempted only ends in Win 7 being restored and another error code different from the others. . .a code that apparently can be any number of different problems and not worth the trouble. I'll stick with Win7 which has been problem free.

Falcon, by chance do you have any Orbx Products installed??
http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/100907-windows-10-installation/page-4#entry911634 and SOH this thread Post 157 by Montie
That TODO file caused my upgrade to fail numerous times and reset back to W8.1. However that post at Orbx solved it and my upgrade went bingo.

jeansy
August 5th, 2015, 00:18
Tried win10 on the tower last night and went without a hicip

Over the 2 laptops and tower I've noticed faster loading boot times and increased performance

Crusader
August 5th, 2015, 03:08
Falcon, by chance do you have any Orbx Products installed??
http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/100907-windows-10-installation/page-4#entry911634 and SOH this thread Post 157 by Montie
That TODO file caused my upgrade to fail numerous times and reset back to W8.1. However that post at Orbx solved it and my upgrade went bingo.

Falcon , I too tried the above and it worked without a hitch . Apparently the TODO was empty and the installer did not like that. I too had numerous install attempts . I really like Win 10 . Trying to learn it as I go along . No problem with P3D v2.5 . Microsoft Edge is certainly a big improvement over IE 10 or 11 .

Rich

falcon409
August 5th, 2015, 05:29
My Update error log file doesn't reference the TODO file (whatever that is, as my Orbx folder doesn't have anything like that). Below are two lines from the error log:

CDiagnosticsHelper::SetSQMDatapoint: Attempting to set a datapoint in an invalid SQM session

2015-08-05 01:50:38, Error SP CSetupPlatform::ResurrectNewSystem: Failure: Win32Exception: \\?\C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\NewSystem.dat: The system cannot find the file specified. [0x00000002] __cdecl UnBCL::FileStream::FileStream(const class UnBCL::String *,enum UnBCL::FileMode,enum UnBCL::FileAccess,enum UnBCL::FileShare,unsigned long)[gle=0x00000002]

racartron
August 5th, 2015, 05:45
Well will wonders never cease? Finally was notified Windows 10 was ready to install at 2:30 this morning. I bit the bullet and let 'er rip. Guess what? Clean as a whistle install. The only thing amiss so far is getting my favorites list into the new browser. FSX is running just fine. Now I can get serious about installing the remaining zillion bits on my new box.

Crusader
August 5th, 2015, 06:49
My Update error log file doesn't reference the TODO file (whatever that is, as my Orbx folder doesn't have anything like that). Below are two lines from the error log:

CDiagnosticsHelper::SetSQMDatapoint: Attempting to set a datapoint in an invalid SQM session

2015-08-05 01:50:38, Error SP CSetupPlatform::ResurrectNewSystem: Failure: Win32Exception: \\?\C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\NewSystem.dat: The system cannot find the file specified. [0x00000002] __cdecl UnBCL::FileStream::FileStream(const class UnBCL::String *,enum UnBCL::FileMode,enum UnBCL::FileAccess,enum UnBCL::FileShare,unsigned long)[gle=0x00000002]

My error log had all of that stuff too but did not make reference to TODO but when I checked here : C:\Users\"you user name"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Orbx , there it was . TODO folder(Which was empty) I deleted the folder-rebooted then the installation went smooth . I don't have a clue why . I wish you luck Ed . I am liking Win 10 the more I fool around with it .

Rich

falcon409
August 5th, 2015, 08:34
My error log had all of that stuff too but did not make reference to TODO but when I checked here : C:\Users\"you user name"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Orbx , there it was . TODO folder(Which was empty) I deleted the folder-rebooted then the installation went smooth . I don't have a clue why . I wish you luck Ed . I am liking Win 10 the more I fool around with it .

Rich
Interesting. Well, if I'm going to attempt another it'll have to wait now. I cancelled the subscription to the Update and as soon as I did that the hidden $Windows~ folder was emptied. Until all of the necessary files and folders are rebuilt I won't be messing with it.

Willy
August 5th, 2015, 09:52
I'm waiting until after Labor Day and test the winds on the Win 10 update then. No big hurry on it. Win 8.1 isn't broke.

hairyspin
August 5th, 2015, 10:08
... Win 8.1 isn't broke.

Must resist. Must resist. Must... :biggrin-new:

Dev One
August 5th, 2015, 10:15
On my 3rd attempt I managed to download W10 (WX?) onto a USB stick so that I can load my laptop at leisure & also load to my wife's laptop. It took 6 hours to d/l on my snail ADSL!
I shall not be doing my tower though as its a W8.1 Enterprise, & I'm quite happy at the moment to leave it as is.
If you see blue smoke emanating from my corner of the globe you will know the reason!
Keith

flaviossa
August 5th, 2015, 11:28
Just moments ago, Microsoft released it´s first win10 update, called SR1.
There are some guys saying that it corrected the "black screens". I tried here, but no, i have "loading" black screen yet. Try it!

Just go to your windows update and force a verifcation.

Dumonceau
August 5th, 2015, 11:29
Must resist. Must resist. Must... :biggrin-new:

ROFLMFAO!!!

Don't resist! Windows 8.x in whatever flavour was broke from day one! :biggrin-new:

Johan

napacon
August 5th, 2015, 16:05
ROFLMFAO!!!

Don't resist! Windows 8.x in whatever flavour was broke from day one! :biggrin-new:

Johan.....no doubt about it...WIN-10 is great..Easy Install,Custom Install,Like it...BUT,and its a big BUT..For Many in the World Of FLIGHT SIMMING??.GAMEING??..From FS9 to FSX Disk and Steam...one can get a WIN 10 induced CONNIPTIONS...Does Microsoft Understand there are "WE" and are here ??..or Are "WE" got sent to the Dump like FS9 , FSX and FLIGHT..To Recover my Extensive and historical Bill lyons FS9, and to get no problems with FSX Disk and Steam On Two Computers..I DELETED WIN 10..and the world is good again..WIN 7 serves me well.....will Retreat now..wait,and hunker down And See What happens with Intelligent Information.which may come!.Will Not play CP GEEK!!..Just want to go FLYING..IF IT AIN'T BROKE LEAVE IT BE!!

CG_1976
August 5th, 2015, 16:26
So what's the MS flavor of the day:biggrin-new::very_drunk:

falcon409
August 5th, 2015, 18:18
Win10 installed on the final attempt, no problems thus far. . .all programs function as they should. In FSX, going to full screen across two monitors cause a small section of the black screen to appear on the right side of the main monitor with the remainder on the second monitor. I don't use full screen so it's no big deal for me. Thanks to all those who had constructive suggestions on what to check and where to look.

Crusader
August 5th, 2015, 18:33
Glad to see you are up and running . I'm beginning to like Win 10 . The verdict is still out on Microsoft Edge though .

Rich

s.piper
August 5th, 2015, 19:05
Not sure I've read a fix for my issue just yet. Win 10 runs very well on my rig, but FSX does not like it. If I make any change what so ever; be it weather, aircraft, settings, anything, the sim will immediately CTD.

Again, may have missed the fix; but if anybody has any insight I'd be grateful.

fsafranek
August 5th, 2015, 19:15
Is Win10 the same as Win 7 and 8 where you have click inside the directory box as the last step when adding new scenery to FSX? Or did the fix that?

morpheusfz
August 5th, 2015, 23:18
My only Problem, is that the macro keys on my Corsair K90 Keyboard not working in Windows 10

jschall
August 6th, 2015, 01:41
Is Win10 the same as Win 7 and 8 where you have click inside the directory box as the last step when adding new scenery to FSX? Or did the fix that?

No, that's not fixed, at least not in Steam Edition.

txnetcop
August 6th, 2015, 07:54
Going on day 3 with Win10 no problems thus far...definitely fast and all my favorite stuff plays! Happy as a clam in cold water...hmmmmmm wonder if I just jinxed myself?
Ted

Dumonceau
August 6th, 2015, 08:26
All is well now...got kinda scary there for a little bit! Got it in December as a Christmas gift and it has been a great tablet. I quit using my old first generation Apple iPad tablet. This WinBook tab was fast before Windows 10 but it is even faster now! YEEEEEEHAWWWWW!!! It's a Winbook TW700 Tablet - Windows 8.1 with full-size USB port, IPS Display, and one year of FREE Microsoft Office 365

Ted

OK! Glad it worked out for ya, but what happened to it, technically speaking? And what did you do to make it work as it should?

Cheers,

Johan

manfredc3
August 6th, 2015, 08:52
I've noticed faster loading boot times and increased performance

Lucky you,

I have not noticed any performance improvement on my Laptop.

Boot up time is a lot longer than my original W7, which is surprising, as the Windows 8 I have on there for a while booted up very fast. And that was the only thing I liked about Windows 8.

What I don't like about Windows 10 so far is the "Unexpected Store Exception" bsod, every time the laptop goes into sleep mode, or even after a full shut down.

AMD just released a new graphics driver that I installed an hour ago. We will see if that solves the BSOD issue.

Since I am running the Windows 10 upgrade, I am wondering if doing a clean install would make a difference?

Bjoern
August 6th, 2015, 09:48
Not sure I've read a fix for my issue just yet. Win 10 runs very well on my rig, but FSX does not like it. If I make any change what so ever; be it weather, aircraft, settings, anything, the sim will immediately CTD.

Is FSX installed in "C:\Program Files(x86)"?

If so, that's as much of a no-no as it was on Windows 7 and 8. T&he best course of action would be instlling it in another folder.

Bjoern
August 6th, 2015, 09:55
Just moments ago, Microsoft released it´s first win10 update, called SR1.
There are some guys saying that it corrected the "black screens". I tried here, but no, i have "loading" black screen yet. Try it!

That's a "no" from me, too.

Dev One
August 6th, 2015, 10:17
So far for me very little problems converting from W8.1 to W10 on my laptop, except for the time taken to d/l on my snail pace ADSL (6 hours) onto a USB for installing on wifes Laptop, ,then 4 hours to install!
FSX & FS9 worked as before, but a couple of addons (AFSD & AAM v2.2) do not work.
Not noticed any improvement in loading/light up time, in fact probably slower, but that might be due to updates coming through. No improvement either in FS9 or FSX as far as I can detect. My laptop though does not have a lot of scenery addons & is very basic, just used really as an independent test machine, or for taking away on holiday!
Not going to change my tower though from 8.1 to 10, at least not yet.
Keith

manfredc3
August 6th, 2015, 10:38
AMD just released a new graphics driver that I installed an hour ago. We will see if that solves the BSOD issue.

Well..., that was wishful thinking :toilet_claw:

Jafo
August 6th, 2015, 15:03
And just one week after its release.....along comes 'SR1'.

Welcome to the machine....;)

Come in here dear boy have a cigar you're gonna go far you're gonna fly high you're never gonna die...[OK, so that's "Have a Cigar" ...but it sorta fits].

fsxar177
August 6th, 2015, 15:49
... I'm just trying to figure out, why would anyone in their right mind try to switch from Win 7 64 to anything else? Especially on their FSX rig..

Just scratching my head again..

- Joseph

falcon409
August 6th, 2015, 16:58
... I'm just trying to figure out, why would anyone in their right mind try to switch from Win 7 64 to anything else? Especially on their FSX rig..
- Joseph
I don't know about anyone else but aside from some missteps initially, Win10 has shown to be just another OS. . .Looks the same, functions the same (for the most part), I don't see any great leap in speed and aside from Netflix (which was a simple fix), I haven't found a single program that hasn't worked just like it did before the upgrade. Also, I don't have an FSX Rig. . .I have a PC that happens to run a few simulators scattered on a couple different drives. . .one of them (FSX) is installed on the same drive that the OS is on. While I may sometimes seem to be not in my right mind, I'm actually pretty normal most of the time and quite happy with what I see with Win10 and how both sims are functioning.

hairyspin
August 6th, 2015, 22:30
... why would anyone in their right mind try to switch from Win 7 64 to anything else?

Because we can? And for free? With Win7 we have nearly five years left of updates and patches, with Win X a lot longer than that. I built this rig before Win7 was released and with some luck it may outlive Win7, although possibly not me!

Dumonceau
August 7th, 2015, 01:55

- Joseph

Because eventually it will become inevitable? Because there is such a thing as progress? Because of safety?

Don't forget that Windows 7 is already in the extended support period. In 2020 there will be no more support for it.

Just my two € cents worth.

Johan

s.piper
August 7th, 2015, 04:49
Is FSX installed in "C:\Program Files(x86)"?

If so, that's as much of a no-no as it was on Windows 7 and 8. T&he best course of action would be instlling it in another folder.

It was, but after reinstalling to to the non x86 program files, the problem still persists.

falcon409
August 7th, 2015, 05:00

My FSX is also installed the same way. . .mainly because despite my best efforts it wouldn't install on a separate drive as I wanted. . .so there it sits. Anyway, it runs quite well. I have none of the problems you mention so I'm not totally sure what might be causing it.

Jafo
August 7th, 2015, 05:17
Because we can? And for free? With Win7 we have nearly five years left of updates and patches, with Win X a lot longer than that. I built this rig before Win7 was released and with some luck it may outlive Win7, although possibly not me!
Nothing in this world is free.
Check out sometime how Microsoft has been [or is] using your 'free' upgrade to 10 to torrent it to others.
Check also exactly how many 'services' [services to whom?] are being used to data-mine your information to third party advertising.
The polite word for the back story behind Microsoft's roll out of Win 10 is 'insidious'.

Microsoft is going to make a heck of a lot of money out of this 'freebie' and you will be paying just the same.

hairyspin
August 7th, 2015, 07:38
Downloaded the ISO: DVDs don't torrent. Cortana is shut off, as are many other useless (to me) background apps. If Microsoft want me to pay for this I've still to see the invoice and Google/Yahoo/Facebook/Amazon/eBay have been mining your data and mine for years now. Microsoft are rather late to the party and that's my tuppence ha'penny.

heywooood
August 7th, 2015, 07:56
as we go along here - I am seriously considering leaving my PC on Win7 64 Prem. and disconnecting it from the internet...

I can use my WinX lappie and a flash drive to D/L scenery and aircraft addons and cut my losses in half.

So far I find WinX bloated, slow, and cumbersome in a few environments - and I try to spare the headaches surrounding FSX whenever I have any choice in the matter at all

can anyone give me a good reason to change my mind and be completely absorbed by the Collective?

gman5250
August 7th, 2015, 08:00
I installed the Windows 10 beginning last night and finishing this AM. The install went very smoothly with no glitches, outside of the lightning squall that settled in overhead just as I reached the 90% mark on the initial re-install boot. White knuckles, but no hard crash.

Considering the complexity of my networked system with all of the peripherals connected to P3D, the install recognized everything with no glitches.

One note, when I was first attempting to download Windows 10 my number 2 (networked) box was on. This stalled the download menu. I turned off the second box, selected the upgrade icon and the menu did its job. Just a HU for anyone running networks.

First glance...P3Dv2.5 wanted to validate its' license and all of the add on bits required the same. It took about ten minutes to satisfy the various licenses.

The GTX780 is running the most current driver. Not sure how that relates to DX12, but I can say that the sim is stunning, rich and smooth. I selected Nvidia defaults and tweaked the Gamma up about two points. In P3D I maxed the sliders to find a breaking point...didn't find one. It's too early to really evaluate the performance and graphics, but the test jump from KRNO to KBIH was flawless. Soft Clouds and ASN live weather were 100% even with shadow quality set at max. The sim has never looked better.

Full screen with no borders is an affirmative. OPUS worked immediately as well as Aivla Soft EFB, which both run on the networked box.

Wacom Intuos pad fired up with no issues either. Photoshop and 3Ds Max '15 booted perfectly.

Issues with CH controllers seem to have smoothed out....that's a plus.

I'll be the first to say I was apprehensive due to previous disasters, but this OS upgrade went as well as I could expect. I'll do a bit of reading and disable the various intrusive elements that I didn't catch on the install. Same for apps.

If anything blows later...I'll bump back in