PDA

View Full Version : Terrain mesh question

patful
July 19th, 2015, 07:36
Okay, I have what's probably a stupid question. In FS2004, I bought each mesh resolution from FSGenesis so that there would be a smooth transition in detail as you approached mountains, etc.. Is this necessary in FSX? Can I just use the 10m USA mesh instead of buying both 19m and 10m? Thanks.

Pat

Meshman
July 19th, 2015, 08:13
I'm just waking up, so excuse any typos, etc.

In FSX/P3D there is the ability to have all LODs in a single file, where FS9 required a file per LOD. SO if constructed, a FSX file would have all that you need.

Mesh for FS9 will work with FSX, but you could buy FSX based mesh, if you so wanted.

If you were a patient person..., you might wait a shortish period of time to see if , uhm..., any new mesh appeared for sale. New and Improved! Isn't that the marketing hype that a mesh maker might use???:encouragement:

patful
July 19th, 2015, 08:20
I'm just waking up, so excuse any typos, etc.

In FSX/P3D there is the ability to have all LODs in a single file, where FS9 required a file per LOD. SO if constructed, a FSX file would have all that you need.

Mesh for FS9 will work with FSX, but you could buy FSX based mesh, if you so wanted.

If you were a patient person..., you might wait a shortish period of time to see if , uhm..., any new mesh appeared for sale. New and Improved! Isn't that the marketing hype that a mesh maker might use???:encouragement:

Thanks. I was looking at FSGenesis' 10m mesh. It said it eliminates the plateaus around most airports, sounds good to me. That was always a problem with the 19m mesh in FS2004 as I recall.

Bjoern
July 19th, 2015, 10:13
Or try FreeMesh?
http://forum.avsim.net/forum/737-freemeshx-global-support-forum/

patful
July 19th, 2015, 13:27
Or try FreeMesh?
http://forum.avsim.net/forum/737-freemeshx-global-support-forum/

Thanks. I looked into that, still seems to be working the bugs out. I'm in no hurry to buy anything right now anyway, just looking ahead.

Bjoern
July 20th, 2015, 13:35
Save for a few bugs due to buggy source data here and there, FreeMeshX is already really good.

Besides, it only costs bandwidth to download. And disk space.